FALL SALE - 20% OFF - USE CODE: FALL20 (48 HOURS ONLY)
March 22, 2009 @ 09:05 AM
CreAm773

So for the past month or so I have been working toward opening an urban clothing store. I have picked a location and all that already but what I'm wondering what brands people would like to see sold...

So people from Chicago, what brands do you have trouble finding in the stores?

Any help would be appreciated. I've been emailing companies that you can't find anywhere but Wicker Park and I thought HBs input might help.
March 22, 2009 @ 03:17 PM
Tommy Boy

nudies and supreme
March 22, 2009 @ 03:18 PM
kvc06

^ not
March 22, 2009 @ 04:38 PM
Tommy Boy

Marc Jacobs, Polo, Alife, Alexander Mqueen
March 22, 2009 @ 05:11 PM
Citizen-16657

^That wont happen either....
March 22, 2009 @ 05:18 PM
kvc06

we have a marc jacobs store man...
and its right in wicker park........
and plenty of places for polo, and alife
even mcqueen if you know where to look
March 22, 2009 @ 06:48 PM
Tommy Boy

I was simply qouting your signature because of your harsh disapproval of my listings.
March 22, 2009 @ 06:56 PM
kvc06

I was simply qouting your signature because of your harsh disapproval of my listings.

LMAO I didn't even notice you got that from my sig!

nah its cool man i mean we just have alot of places to get nudies and I guarantee this guy won't get a supreme acct (no offense to him)
March 23, 2009 @ 12:16 AM
CreAm773

I guarantee this guy won't get a supreme acct (no offense to him)

I would have to agree.

Right now I'm talking to TITS and I sent and email to Crooks and Castles. I'm actually serious about this so any input is helpful.
March 23, 2009 @ 12:35 AM
AMuells

Most of the accounts hypebeasters will want prolly wont be achievable. Try to get some quality denim like APC, Flat Head, Skull, etc. I have no clue how hard a Vans syndicate account is to get but ya, that would be good. good luck.
March 23, 2009 @ 12:42 AM
Citizen-16657

^^^That wont happen either....getting the japanese to sell some random store denim is like winning the lotto when you are dead.

Vans doesnt open new syndicate accounts anymore. Plus your store has to on that level plus you need to know people. Remember its not just what you got but also WHO YOU KNOW....

Plus APC is now all covered in CHI smile
March 23, 2009 @ 01:06 AM
AMuells

^^^That wont happen either....getting the japanese to sell some random store denim is like winning the lotto when you are dead.

Vans doesnt open new syndicate accounts anymore. Plus your store has to on that level plus you need to know people. Remember its not just what you got but also WHO YOU KNOW....

truf. so basically get a bunch of streetwear brands that none of us will want, but youngsters will buy.
March 23, 2009 @ 01:44 AM
CreAm773

It may be hard to get on the map but how do you think all the established stores started? They opened up a store and started from the bottom.

The people at TITS are actually very friendly and the way I see it is the worst that any of these companies that people want to see can say to me is No. The space that I'm looking at is right across the street from a mall so it's right off of Harlem Ave. so it's not like it a little shop on a side street.

I'm gunna contact all these companies no matter how many people tell me it won't happen so if you have suggestions I appreciate them.
March 23, 2009 @ 02:39 AM
Citizen-16657

^^^ Not true at all.

I been doing this for a minute. If you want me to read you how most of these stores that become big started it wasnt a ran everyday dude opening a store. The big successful ones have been in this game for way longer then you think.

Harlem and what?

PS TITS is some no name brand. The market is changing and if you want to sell Karmaloop type shit have at it but right now the consumer isnt about those brands, or at least the consumers I know.

Crooks is played out and dead. Tits is a t shirt brand that outside of KL is just another t shirt brand.....what else you got?
March 23, 2009 @ 04:12 AM
CreAm773

I never said TITS was some huge brand and I dont disagree that Crooks isnt the most popular brand out. After talking to people I have decided to contact Alife and I'll be contacting Supra soon as well.

All I asked for was some suggestions from people in Chicago. If I open a store and it flops then it flops. You said you have been doing this for a minute... well I created this thread hoping some people would have some tips or suggestions and all you have said is that it wont happen. You started somewhere... If I wanna get into retail I have to start somewhere too...

Harlem and Irving Park. I'm looking at 2 different spaces near there. Both decent size, both have plenty of parking, both get plenty of foot traffic.
March 23, 2009 @ 08:52 AM
rtst102

^you don't need to be defensive man. These are still suggestions.

If you want brands that are currently moving, you should look into the street & high fashion brands forum.
March 23, 2009 @ 08:56 AM
Tommy Boy

I don't see people that far west wanting to rock street brands, most of them are a&f homos.
March 23, 2009 @ 09:21 AM
CreAm773

I don't mean to sound defensive. It's just hard to reply to something basically saying "Can't do it" or "Wont happen". I don't know what to say other than it's worth a try

And yea... there are a lot of Abercrombie kids but in the neighborhood where this place for rent is is right across from a mall and a 5 minute car or bus ride from a Wright College and a lot of kids there wear streetwear or skateboard. I personally know tons of people that travel 20-30 minutes to Wicker park just to get the brands they like. The closest thing around this area that carries anything you would see on Karmaloop or similar sites is the Zoomies in the mall across the street and they are constantly sold out of anything worth picking up. Plus there's alot of people in the area that have to money to spend on the clothing.

Is there anyone who has owned a store or ran a website that could give me any type of advice on how to get accounts with brands?

And thanks to anyone that has had a suggestion.
March 23, 2009 @ 04:03 PM
TheCityOfChi

i live 5 mins from there, im not an af homo though lol just a normal one
March 23, 2009 @ 05:52 PM
Tommy Boy

Word, I was just speculatin.
March 23, 2009 @ 06:06 PM
TheCityOfChi

which spot are you looking at? Like where the gap is across the street? Or the other side by the mens warehouse? If it was me i would get a spot in the mall, like fuck it go for the gold if your going to. You would get alot more traffic by people just walking by. If it is one of the spots across the street you will have less people, but rent would be cheaper.

But like i said if you plan on doing it at the HIP say fuck it and get a spot inside the mall
March 23, 2009 @ 11:08 PM
CreAm773

Last time I was at the mall there were no spots available. Rent isn't really and issue... I understand it takes money to make money.

I was looking at some spots near the mall because I would be staying open 30 minutes - an hour later than the mall so once the mall closes anyone who still wants to shop can come across the street or whatever.

For anyone that's interested... TITS emailed me back and already sent me order forms. They said they feel there is a gap in the market in Chicago and would be happy to supply me with their products.
May 26, 2009 @ 12:14 PM
riddimdriven

anyone know some good mens streetwear blog/drop sites?
May 26, 2009 @ 07:23 PM
3 Stripes

krew- C&C - Obey - rocksmith - 10 deep - tits
May 26, 2009 @ 11:22 PM
3 Stripes

true...
May 27, 2009 @ 12:27 AM
FSOverCrooks

3sixteen has some solid stuff, Alphanumeric, Black Scale, Altamont. Check out Krew NS too.

Are you gonna be more in to skate or streetwear?
May 27, 2009 @ 08:13 PM
peabe

I never said TITS was some huge brand and I dont disagree that Crooks isnt the most popular brand out. After talking to people I have decided to contact Alife and I'll be contacting Supra soon as well.

All I asked for was some suggestions from people in Chicago. If I open a store and it flops then it flops. You said you have been doing this for a minute... well I created this thread hoping some people would have some tips or suggestions and all you have said is that it wont happen. You started somewhere... If I wanna get into retail I have to start somewhere too...

Harlem and Irving Park. I'm looking at 2 different spaces near there. Both decent size, both have plenty of parking, both get plenty of foot traffic.

i used to live by there. kinda out there for a spot. a distance from the trains too. good luck tho dude.
May 28, 2009 @ 05:22 PM
shoejock773

new shop
thats awesome your opening a new shop. i would like to see some crooks, some artful dodger, and some buisness before pleasure. where is it gunna be ??
May 28, 2009 @ 05:25 PM
shoejock773

new shop in chicago
hey do you need any staff?
May 28, 2009 @ 08:59 PM
TheCityOfChi

hey do you need any staff?

not if you think artful dodger is whats in. unless you plan on getting a job to make money to build a time machine to go back 3 years to when that shit was popular

Please login first to reply.