August 2, 2012 @ 03:31 AM
striver

The 7" tablet market is heating up. Set alight initially by the Kindle Fire, then the Google Nexus 7 and now rumors of a forthcoming iPad Mini next month (Sept. 12th), What does the future have install for us?
Wait, why does no one mention the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0? It also comes in a version that doubles as a phone (P3100), with expandable storage, dual cameras, GPS, full Android Market, it's a real killer. Why settle for less? No matter what android version their running, they'll be cracked and hacked in no time. What does Apple have to offer and at what price?

The polls up, which 7inch tablet would you choose and why?
August 5, 2012 @ 03:50 PM
traggi

I really don't see the point of using these tablets. Our phones do the exact same thing just fine, and computers are portable enough now to serve more complex computing needs easily. I really can't justify these.

IF I were to purchase one, I'd go for the rumored iPad Mini. I've gone from iOS to Android and in the past two years of my experience with Android, there's nothing I want more than to go back to an iOS based product. Things are more seamless, the fragmentation is a non-issue, and it's more compatible with my OSX based devices as well.
August 6, 2012 @ 10:49 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

I had the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and still have the Tab 2 10.1. The price on the 7.0 is okay, but its really under-powered compared to the new Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 is probably the best 7" tablet you can get.
September 17, 2012 @ 12:34 AM
striver

@traggi I can only answer for myself but I had a kindle keyboard that I got a refund for due to a defect so I decided to hold out before replacing it. The logical step would be to get another bottom line e-reader but there's a lot out there for just a few £s more than what I originally spent on my kindle (£119).

Another reason is I've had smartphones for the past 10 years going all the way back to the Pogo.

But most phones don't make for good reading, plus I don't think all the features phones have can co-exist with all the battery drainage that takes place. With a 7" device u get a better experience; visually, watching movies, reading magazines, websites, better form factor for reading books than a 10" or 4" and the very primary function isn't jeopadised because you decide what that is.

With the Kindle HD having a HDMI out port it also becomes a pretty good potable media center.

I'm still waiting for Apple's offering, I'll give it until the end of October.
The features they must have to beat the competition are;
1. Retina display 326ppi
2. HDMI out
3. GPS
4. 32GB +

That would be a dream but it is likely to be priced between £329 and £399 (ipod touch and ipad) without 4G LTE (expensive). Hope it happens
September 17, 2012 @ 10:33 AM
elnino

would take Nexus definitely
September 18, 2012 @ 09:47 AM
CHOPZZBISCUIT

nexus 7 until ipad mini comes out

Kayv: pull bitches, not triggers. throw parties, not fists. futurebass : my mom said life is like a box of kimchi. chopzz.tumblr.com

September 18, 2012 @ 03:38 PM
Josh

I'm still waiting for Apple's offering, I'll give it until the end of October.
The features they must have to beat the competition are;
1. Retina display 326ppi
2. HDMI out
3. GPS
4. 32GB +

@striver

The only thing Apple will not put on the iPad Mini will be HDMI out, they haven't put it on any of their other portables and I don't see them adding it this.

GPS should be there since it will have iOS 6, even if it didn't would still have GPS, just not voice turn-by-turn.

I also don't see why they wouldn't have the same size GB models as they do now for the reuglar iPad

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

September 18, 2012 @ 10:58 PM
striver

@big-perm

Your probably right about the likely omission of HDMI out but it would be great. I'm guessing they'd never do it because it would kill apple tv.

This video has swayed me to the Kindle Fire HD in the Nexus 7 vs Kindle Fire HD fight.

If you guys had to choose between the two(Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7) what and why?
GPS vs HDMI out
16GB vs 32GB
NFC vs no-gap lamination techniques and antiglare polarization to dial in the readability
October 23, 2012 @ 06:47 PM
striver

thoughts on the new iPad mini announcement
October 23, 2012 @ 07:12 PM
Josh

meh, I'm not impressed, but it will still sell well. The people who have been wanting an iPad but wanting something smaller will be buying it.

even though this doesn't have to do with tablets, I'm even more disappointed that they decided to get rid of the CD-ROM drive in the iMac models

October 24, 2012 @ 01:52 AM
99%Shit

CDROM? Booting from USB/SD are much better, there's little need for optical storage, especially CD/DVD capacities.

narsha.narsha.narsha

October 24, 2012 @ 02:53 AM
CHOPZZBISCUIT

im going to cop 32GB Nexus 7 tab once it releases on 29th or maybe i'll wait for the samsung google nexus 10inch tablet when it's announced.

nexus 7 got better resolution, cheaper price, get it rooted and use OTS cable w/the USB stick, and has the NFC feature.

http://www.androidauthority.com/apple-ipad-mini-vs-google-nexus-7-budget-tablet-showdown-125022/
^ this is a great comparison between those 2. Despite of the fact that the site is dedicated to android devices. The comparison was non-biased imo

Kayv: pull bitches, not triggers. throw parties, not fists. futurebass : my mom said life is like a box of kimchi. chopzz.tumblr.com

October 24, 2012 @ 05:56 PM
Mr. Freeze

Think inabout copping that iPad mini............ ........
October 24, 2012 @ 06:19 PM
striver

I think the 7 inch market is all a response to the e-ink ebook adopters that want a device that can do a lot more while still being easily portable (hand bags, coat pockets).

iPad pros;
user experience
wealth of apps
5MP rear camera
4G LTE option

iPad cons:
screen resolution
poor maps in ios6

Kindle Fire HD pros:
HDMI out
optimised for reading
screen resolution

Kindle Fire HD:
closed os
limited apps

Nexus 7 pros:
GPS
maps
screen resolution
NFC

Nexus 7 cons:
stretched phone apps
What to use NFC for at the moment

get it rooted and use OTS cable w/the USB stick, and has the NFC feature.

What does this enable you to do? And what uses are there for NFC as we speak?
October 24, 2012 @ 07:18 PM
Josh

@striver IMO the poor maps isnt really a con in the iPad but that because I have a GPS on my phone and I'd rather use that than a 7"-10" tablet

October 24, 2012 @ 10:41 PM
CHOPZZBISCUIT

with the OTS cable w/the USB stick, u can expand your storage and with the NFC technology, u can use google wallet to buy shit and get info quick just being near to NFC enabled tags.

NFC technology like how Samsung Galaxy S3 has a function of S-Beam which can transfer songs,pics,or movies in a matter of seconds by putting them together.

NFC stands for near field communication btw.

mini ipad is ipad2 which has lower resolution than Nexus 7

October 25, 2012 @ 11:38 AM
striver

@MindEraser I'm considering getting an iPad mini with 4G and keeping my phone really simple like a basic nokia to just call and text. I see it becoming the most primary surfing tool for me for websites, rss feeds, emails, social media, comms; skype, whats app, imessage and hopefully that will increase my productivity on my mac (buyers rationalization!). Not forgetting primary camera, navigation and ereader. I think the size will be idea for this .The trouble here is how the battery will cope.

@chopzz that modification sounds cool but troublesome. As for NFC I think its early days and will seldom get used, it sounds cool but if I'm the only adopter amongst my peers its going to suck. I like the idea of posters having it and the interactivity but i don't think its going to take off anytime soon.
October 26, 2012 @ 09:29 AM
wreckages

Nexus definitely

The upcoming 3G model & 32gb will be a killer

BUYING: Supreme x Kermit Shirt RED/TEAL - MEDIUM

October 29, 2012 @ 07:05 PM
striver

@wreckages You were right!!! Link
its hard to argue against that £210 saving.
October 29, 2012 @ 07:42 PM
99%Shit

The 3G N7 is HSPA+, so while it's not LTE fast, it will be faster than a 4S's.

narsha.narsha.narsha

October 30, 2012 @ 04:38 PM
peter1234930

Nexus 7!!
October 30, 2012 @ 10:43 PM
floww

The iPad :b

''Sarcasm: the ability to insult idiots without them realizing it.''

Please login first to reply.