March 28, 2012 @ 06:31 PM
Lemonz

Do any of you have a degree in Computer Science. I'm currently working on my bachelors and feel like I won't know enough about programming to enter the workforce after graduating.

How far are you into the course? If you're in your first or second year then there's still time.
I'm doing the same course and I'm in my first year and I've basically mastered C++. Still have lots more to learn though, like Java, PHP, SQL etc.
Can't wait to start Java.
March 29, 2012 @ 04:31 AM
iggy-koopa

Do any of you have a degree in Computer Science. I'm currently working on my bachelors and feel like I won't know enough about programming to enter the workforce after graduating.

How far are you into the course? If you're in your first or second year then there's still time.
I'm doing the same course and I'm in my first year and I've basically mastered C++. Still have lots more to learn though, like Java, PHP, SQL etc.
Can't wait to start Java.

starting java this quarter at cal poly

object oriented programming is something else but so far so good (second day of class was today lol)
March 29, 2012 @ 06:31 AM
yoon

lol did objected oriented programming. you'll see how hard it gets later on

www.ronindivision.com

March 29, 2012 @ 02:10 PM
Enryu

suspended

I'm at OOP with design and pattern(Java) its getting kinda like some analysis+programming but its not that hard. Not feeling the analysis too much cause of paper work and some other shit but its cool doe.

Tho I was wondering did anyone here has ever did game programming I got mad questions. I really want to do it.
I didn't because I had to move out(many time) + bad timing.... lots of bad stuff happen each time I wanted to go do that. Anyone?
March 31, 2012 @ 02:23 PM
Quezz

I learned Java last semester I'm thinking of going back through the book. I pass with a B+, but I think I could of did better. Plus I really want to master it.
March 31, 2012 @ 02:26 PM
Quezz

Tho I was wondering did anyone here has ever did game programming I got mad questions. I really want to do it.
I didn't because I had to move out(many time) + bad timing.... lots of bad stuff happen each time I wanted to go do that. Anyone?

I watch Notch program minicraft live. Shit was mad cool.
March 31, 2012 @ 09:14 PM
Enryu

suspended

Yeah it is. Notch is a pretty damn good programmer.
April 14, 2012 @ 04:35 AM
iggy-koopa

anyone have experience with ruby on rails?

tryna learn that.. and javascript and jquery and php
April 15, 2012 @ 07:41 PM
Lemonz

Need someone to test a C++ code for me, and make recommendations.
April 20, 2012 @ 12:19 AM
Warren

http://slides.html5rocks.com/#landing-slide

Use Jquery or Mootools for your Javascript library and Symfony 2 for your PHP framework.

You'll thank me later.

Symfony2 is a pretty good framework but pretty difficult to master

Hypebeast: User and Forum Support

April 20, 2012 @ 01:21 AM
Otacon

does anybody have a job in programming?
April 20, 2012 @ 01:25 AM
iggy-koopa

I just had a tech interview w/ Shuttefly from my career fair here at cal poly lol

passed the fizz buzz question; but after talking to some people I guess thats a common interview questions

unfortunately I don't have the experience they were looking for because I dont take that class until next quarter lol still on the hunt for an internship
April 20, 2012 @ 01:59 AM
Warren

Thats what I'm doing now.

April 20, 2012 @ 01:42 PM
Enryu

suspended

Thats what I'm doing now.

Lol are u working from Shanghai with Kevin Ma? Fixing the forum seems fun, how u got the job?
April 20, 2012 @ 03:41 PM
Warren

haha we do more than just forum stuff.
got the job through CV, interview process.

April 23, 2012 @ 11:09 AM
Kennyken747

Freelance web dev reporting in...I'm working on an online store for a new street fashion company. My first *big* project for a client. Pretty fun process, you're forced to learn a lot on the job when crafting things based on your client's ever so changing needs. I'll post up the site here when I'm done within the next few weeks, though it's already looking pretty nice.

Started with Python back in Jr. High, been loving programming in general ever since. After that I picked up C# but until (years later) I found out about http://monodevelop.com/ I dropped it because I dislike MS and Windows. It's a solid language though, and you can code for mobile devices with Mono so I picked it back up with the quickness.

But yeah, after I had dropped C# I needed some direction. Based on my love for the 'net, I moved on to web development and learned PHP and have since become proficient in PHP/MySQL, Javascript and HTML5/CSS3 techniques. Also, not proficient in it but I do know a little Ruby.

I have some amazing startups planned, some of which may be coded with a PHP framework, some with Ruby on Rails, or Node.JS. Btw, Node.JS is amazing, check it out.

Just recently I went back to the mother of most of those languages, which is C, and am enjoying it thoroughly. I picked it up within a couple days for obvious reasons but I still have to learn about memory allocation, pointers and whatnot. Once I do, I'm gonna cop an Arduino kit and hack away. I'm thinking a robot, or a simple snake game on an LCD to start with.

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm majoring in Comp. Eng. It would be cool to see some others in this thread nahhmean. Subscribed

If anyone needs any guidance or has any questions relating to any of the previous languages I mentioned, feel free to hit me up. Hell, hit me up even if your language isn't something I've learned, lol. I understand the universal programming concepts very well and would most likely still be able to help out.
Peace
April 23, 2012 @ 07:33 PM
Enryu

suspended

^^Good look.Young blood here need guidance;about C#. I got some questions about a buy/store/track-burger program I'm doing.
April 23, 2012 @ 08:15 PM
Kennyken747

No problem bro, shoot me a PM
April 23, 2012 @ 09:22 PM
Enryu

suspended

pmed
April 24, 2012 @ 12:39 AM
Minderaser

Hey Kenny, do you know C++ at all? Also what program do you use since I've noticed you use OS X
April 25, 2012 @ 03:53 PM
Kennyken747

*at all* Well I know C but haven't tackled learning C++'s changes and additions (namely the way it implements OOP) yet. Although, I know several other OOP languages so grasping it shouldn't be any trouble. I just have decided to wait until C++11 ( the newest version out ) gets some proper learning materials.

Btw...has anyone actually ever dreamed in code??? Son..I just coded a solution in my sleep, no bs. It was mad weird, I woke up and instantly turned my laptop back on and filled in the missing pieces I couldn't figure out quick enough before I went to bed last night.

It was just a simple exercise from The C Programming Language, capture input and subsequently write a histogram of each word and its character count. So you could imagine after having written programs 50x as complex than that in other languages...the ish was really bothering me before I finally fell asleep.

The subconscious mind intrigues me. Or more likely I knew all along but was just tired :/. I still like to entertain the thought though.
April 25, 2012 @ 04:24 PM
Kennyken747

Oh and Spec I use Sublime Text 2, Dropbox/Git and the command line for pretty much everything...I believe an IDE only slows you down, and should only be used on very, VERY large projects with tons of variables and methods, but you don't even really need one at all for those either if you're competent enough. Check out Sublime Text 2 and Dropbox/Github if you haven't already, highly recommend them.

http://i.imgur.com/zKyMj.png
May 3, 2012 @ 06:04 AM
uEih

I kinda feel like how you do now. But i heard they mostly hire you on the experience and what you have done more than your grades and graduating so do some side stuff. Program on your own time to show you know things and expand your knowledge more too.

EDIT: Don't know why i thought i was on the last page and that was recently posted but too late now.

Please login first to reply.