Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
February 13, 2012 @ 12:03 AM
Gilly Suits

What do you mean how fast does it run? the monitor has nothing to do with speed....its just video/audio out device....

How fast is the Thunderbolt go compared with usb 3.0? I have 3.0 on my laptop though selling this one. I missed the "3.0 usb" before the 13 inch laptop as I was looking at ultrabooks. And how do you like the monitor set up with the laptop? Posted quickly before without paying attention sorry.

Culective.com //

February 13, 2012 @ 12:50 AM
iggy-koopa

What do you mean how fast does it run? the monitor has nothing to do with speed....its just video/audio out device....

How fast is the Thunderbolt go compared with usb 3.0? I have 3.0 on my laptop though selling this one. I missed the "3.0 usb" before the 13 inch laptop as I was looking at ultrabooks. And how do you like the monitor set up with the laptop? Posted quickly before without paying attention sorry.

Data Bitrate

Thunderbolt has a data bitrate of 10 Gbits per second, both for its PCIe mode and for its DisplayPort protocol. What’s notable about Thunderbolt is that it’s full duplex, meaning it can both send and receive data at 10 Gbits per second simultaneously.

USB 3.0, on the other hand, has a signaling rate of 5 Gb/s. USB 3.0 also improve supon previous iterations of USB and now supports full-duplex signaling.

As you can see, Thunderbolt has about twice the data bitrate as USB 3.0.

Backwards Compatibility

Thunderbolt is based on Apple’s DisplayPort technology, meaning that you can use an older Mini DisplayPort device right into it and it’ll work. You can also use the typical adapter sfor DVI, HDMI and VGA. However, when it comes to other Thunderbolt devices, such as hard drives and audio interfaces, the question of backwards compatibility is moot. There are no Thunderbolt devices on the market right now other than displays.

USB 3.0 is perfectly backwards compatible with all USB 2.0 devices. That’s good news, because there are vast quantities of USB 2.0 devices still on the shelves, including newer and older models. Plus, it’s unlikely that users will want to get rid of their existing USB 2.0 devices before their lifespan has expired. USB 3.0 makes it a smooth transition.

AMD vs. Intel?

Thunderbolt is striclty an Intel technolgoy, meaning you won’t be able to find a Thunderbolt port on a computer that’s based on AMD chipsets or other off-brand CPUs. That may be a factor, now that the market has somewhat cooled in its preference for Intel over AMD. Aside from the geeky elite, most users see no discernible performance difference between AMD and Intel processors. The inclusion of Thunderbolt with Intel CPUs may change that slightly.

Conclusion

At the end of the day, it’s important to remember that Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 could conceivably co-exist. We’ve already seen Apple embrace FireWire and USB while the Windows world largely eschewed the former technology. This may be a similar situation that we’ll see in the future with Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is likely to appeal to the digital media professional crowd while largely flying under the radar of the general consumer base.

I just returned my MBP 2011 15" + Thunderbolt Display; but only because I still have my MBP 15" mid2010. I thought I'd need an external monitor because its hella useful but its kinda unnecessary for me right now cause I'm just a first year computer science major but I do plan on buying one for my 2nd year when I'll actually need it and then I can justify the upgrade lol

rumors are of a 15" macbook pro w/ the design of an air if you guys read up on that kinda stuff
February 13, 2012 @ 01:06 AM
Gilly Suits

Data Bitrate

Thunderbolt has a data bitrate of 10 Gbits per second, both for its PCIe mode and for its DisplayPort protocol. What’s notable about Thunderbolt is that it’s full duplex, meaning it can both send and receive data at 10 Gbits per second simultaneously.

USB 3.0, on the other hand, has a signaling rate of 5 Gb/s. USB 3.0 also improve supon previous iterations of USB and now supports full-duplex signaling.

As you can see, Thunderbolt has about twice the data bitrate as USB 3.0.

Backwards Compatibility

Thunderbolt is based on Apple’s DisplayPort technology, meaning that you can use an older Mini DisplayPort device right into it and it’ll work. You can also use the typical adapter sfor DVI, HDMI and VGA. However, when it comes to other Thunderbolt devices, such as hard drives and audio interfaces, the question of backwards compatibility is moot. There are no Thunderbolt devices on the market right now other than displays.

USB 3.0 is perfectly backwards compatible with all USB 2.0 devices. That’s good news, because there are vast quantities of USB 2.0 devices still on the shelves, including newer and older models. Plus, it’s unlikely that users will want to get rid of their existing USB 2.0 devices before their lifespan has expired. USB 3.0 makes it a smooth transition.

AMD vs. Intel?

Thunderbolt is striclty an Intel technolgoy, meaning you won’t be able to find a Thunderbolt port on a computer that’s based on AMD chipsets or other off-brand CPUs. That may be a factor, now that the market has somewhat cooled in its preference for Intel over AMD. Aside from the geeky elite, most users see no discernible performance difference between AMD and Intel processors. The inclusion of Thunderbolt with Intel CPUs may change that slightly.

Conclusion

At the end of the day, it’s important to remember that Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 could conceivably co-exist. We’ve already seen Apple embrace FireWire and USB while the Windows world largely eschewed the former technology. This may be a similar situation that we’ll see in the future with Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is likely to appeal to the digital media professional crowd while largely flying under the radar of the general consumer base.

I just returned my MBP 2011 15" + Thunderbolt Display; but only because I still have my MBP 15" mid2010. I thought I'd need an external monitor because its hella useful but its kinda unnecessary for me right now cause I'm just a first year computer science major but I do plan on buying one for my 2nd year when I'll actually need it and then I can justify the upgrade lol

rumors are of a 15" macbook pro w/ the design of an air if you guys read up on that kinda stuff

Thank you and I hear they are removing the macbook pro as are now and replacing with macbook airs with specs of the pros with up to 17" macbook airs

Culective.com //

February 13, 2012 @ 03:04 AM
The Chosen One

suspended

I have the same set up. 15" MBP w/ Thunderbolt Display. It's great! I love it! The extra real estate makes a huge difference while studying, computing, etc.
February 13, 2012 @ 09:37 AM
zyezye

once you go dual screen, its impossible to go back on a single screen. i just can't work with single screens anymore.
February 14, 2012 @ 05:39 PM
Norrin Radd

Hey Iggy, what do you use to program in OSX? I usually just boot into windows when I do but I'd prefer something in OSX. I'm currently using visual studio when I program in C++

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

February 16, 2012 @ 05:12 PM
Norrin Radd

For Mac users they just released the beta for iMessage for Mac OSX

http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/messages-beta/

February 17, 2012 @ 05:26 PM
YK-

Hey Iggy, what do you use to program in OSX? I usually just boot into windows when I do but I'd prefer something in OSX. I'm currently using visual studio when I program in C++

When I was writing C++ on my iMac, I used Code::Blocks. I used VS before that, too. It wasn't too much of a learning curve. Give it a try, it's free.
February 19, 2012 @ 12:20 AM
The Chosen One

suspended

have any of u mac users successfully ran wine to use window apps? if so, how?
February 19, 2012 @ 12:32 AM
Trollinator

For Mac users they just released the beta for iMessage for Mac OSX

http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/messages-beta/

good look out

I want to see the world burn

February 19, 2012 @ 05:20 PM
Norrin Radd

have any of u mac users successfully ran wine to use window apps? if so, how?

easy way imo, is just to run boot camp

February 20, 2012 @ 06:04 AM
The Chosen One

suspended

^^where do i get a FREE copy of windows?
February 20, 2012 @ 05:47 PM
Norrin Radd

you can always try to find a torrent of it, I got a copy from a friend

March 1, 2012 @ 06:17 AM
Rodney D Ellis

MACBOOK 2010-2012 Pros & Cons?

fuck the internet

March 1, 2012 @ 02:28 PM
777ichael

+ steezy
- price

follow me on instagram bluntfetish

March 1, 2012 @ 04:56 PM
Norrin Radd

con - for the same price you can get a much more powerful windows laptop.

I don't see any pros and I have a MBP

but it all comes down to what you can afford and personal preference.

March 2, 2012 @ 01:41 AM
The Chosen One

suspended

u dont see any pros in a macbook?..sell it then and get a PC
March 2, 2012 @ 03:22 AM
Lemonz

dat mac battery life doe
March 2, 2012 @ 03:27 AM
Norrin Radd

What are some things that I can do with my MBP that I can't do with a windows based laptop?

Like I said its also a preference thing I wanted a MBP so I bought one.

And I forgot about battery life.

March 2, 2012 @ 05:19 AM
The Chosen One

suspended

What are some things that I can do with my MBP that I can't do with a windows based laptop?

u contradict yourself. u said u dont see any pros in a MB but yet u 'prefer' them while praising PCs at the same time...
March 2, 2012 @ 05:41 AM
Cybrax2

This jsut came in

March 2, 2012 @ 12:14 PM
Lemonz

^I don't get why they still use that red trackball in the middle tho.
March 5, 2012 @ 05:05 PM
Norrin Radd

u contradict yourself. u said u dont see any pros in a MB but yet u 'prefer' them while praising PCs at the same time...

I prefer the looks of the MBP, I wouldn't call it a pro. It's the same as if someone prefers a Sony laptop over an Asus because of the looks. Also you still didn't tell me anything that I can do on my MBP that I can't do with a windows based laptop.

March 5, 2012 @ 05:55 PM
jaeyoung

Macbook Pros are trendy, just like any other Apple product. I really like the design of their laptops, especially the Macbook Air... but the price tag is ridiculous. For $200 less of the average price of the 13" Macbook Pro, I got myself a Lenovo Y Series 14" which has i7 quad core, nvidia 550mt, 8gb ram, 750 gb hdd, and a blueray player.
March 17, 2012 @ 10:57 PM
selllyu

Macbook Air
March 18, 2012 @ 01:36 AM
Gilly Suits

Culective.com //

March 19, 2012 @ 06:37 AM
LckyChrmsBboy

You guys are geeks!! Wish I knew more about computers.

I chose my MBP mainly b/c of design and how sharp the screen is. Also I like how the os works.

It was hard deciding between a mac and pc lab top since I could have had an extra 600 in my pocket but I'm very happy with my choice.
March 23, 2012 @ 06:44 AM
extrajake

Does anyone have an absurd amount of ads between Facebook statuses? I though it was normal but when my friends saw it they said it was way too much.

There's one between every two news stories. Is this some adware problem. Does anyone know how to get rid of it?
March 29, 2012 @ 01:46 AM
╒rozzy

Just overclocked my i5 2500k to 4.5ghz and replaced the stock fan with Corsair H100 liquid cooler. Money well spent!

March 29, 2012 @ 02:30 AM
Lemonz

Does anyone have an absurd amount of ads between Facebook statuses? I though it was normal but when my friends saw it they said it was way too much.

There's one between every two news stories. Is this some adware problem. Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Get AdBlock Plus and Ghostery. The extensions will remove all the ads.
They're available on both Chrome and Firefox. (dunno about IE, Opera, Safari)

Please login first to reply.