June 4, 2011 @ 02:02 AM
_Translucency

If I'm trying to bulk, should I limit my cardio or not do any at all? I actually haven't done any cardio (besides playing bball/vball once a week) in over a few months.

I always recommend doing cardio, if not for weight loss then for general health.
June 4, 2011 @ 02:30 AM
Homes

Hey guys, first post on this thread.

I am about to graduate college and being in college I always find myself with no time to eat right (typically eating 2 meals a day if that...) and work out due to school, homework and my internship (just an excuse to myself razz). That being said, I have easily been apart of the "freshman 15" demographic but it has carried along with me into my senior year unfortunately. Since I am graduating in two weeks, I finally have the time to eat right and work out. IF I did find time in my schedule, I would work out for like 3 weeks straight and then find myself being lazy again so my workout schedule would be on and off, rinse and repeat...

I'm trying to lose weight while getting cut. I stand at a tall 5'6 lol and weigh about 157...

I plan on doing some fat burning workouts paired with running (working out 3-4 days a week and running 5-6). After about two-three weeks, I want to start the fat burning version of p90x (I can't think of the name).

Also since I am graduating along with a lot of my friends, I can expect tons of graduation parties full of bad food and tons of alcohol. Will consuming alcohol while trying to lose weight simply omit my efforts?

I just want to know your thoughts and if you guys had any tips for a pretty average fit person?

Thanks!

The real science of the matter is this: If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight. If you eat less calories than you burn, you lose weight. If you eat and burn an equal number, you maintain your weight. If weight loss is your only goal, you don't even have to work out. Just focus on your diet. Your maintenance is probably around 2000-2500 calories a day. Eat 5 calories less than that.

The only thing working out really does, when it comes to losing weight, is makes you burn more calories throughout the day. So if you have a maintenance of 2500, and then you go running and burn an additional 500, it means if you eat under 3000 calories, you will lose weight. Fat is the first thing your body eats when it doesn't have enough calories. So I'd suggest "cutting" (losing fat) until you're at least somewhat happy with your weight. Then start lifting and get ripped!
June 4, 2011 @ 02:33 AM
Homes

If I'm trying to bulk, should I limit my cardio or not do any at all? I actually haven't done any cardio (besides playing bball/vball once a week) in over a few months.

Same advice to the dude above. You can do cardio while bulking, but it just means you have to make up for those extra burned calories by eating. If you lift and that burns 500 calories it will raise you maintenance from 2500 calories to 3000 (maintenance means how many calories you have to eat just to replace the ones you've used - maintaining weight) and if you do cardio on top of that, and burn another 200 calories, you're going to have to eat at least 3200 calories just to stay the same weight. 3500-3700 to bulk
June 4, 2011 @ 01:52 PM
Scotty

What i see most people do in the gym when bulking is walk up hill on a treadmill couple times a week.. U dont want to do hard cardio cause then u will just be burning what u are trying to use to build muscle.. Or Some people dont do cardio at all and just cut after they bulk.. Just have to remember that bulking is more abut calories, protein, carbs u consume to get better and faster results..
June 4, 2011 @ 04:32 PM
ClydeFrazier

a few days in and im already sick of my dymatize.

Melo Gang All Day

June 4, 2011 @ 08:15 PM
Scotty

^ hahahaha told ya to go with ON!!!!
June 5, 2011 @ 02:08 AM
ClydeFrazier

it's all good, i'll run through this in about 4-6 weeks and go ON

Melo Gang All Day

June 5, 2011 @ 04:04 PM
Scotty

Also for the regular posters in this thread and nutrition/supps thread... Im going to combine the 2 threads cause they always go hand in hand.. And most people asking for advice always ask about both as well.. So what should we call the thread? Post what u think the new thread should be and we'll pick one.. Remember its about EVERYTHING!
June 5, 2011 @ 10:58 PM
ClydeFrazier

BroScience 101

Melo Gang All Day

June 5, 2011 @ 11:52 PM
alberto.1989

damn bro you go through 10 lbs in 4-6 weeks? fuck how many scoops is that a day?
June 6, 2011 @ 02:56 AM
ClydeFrazier

damn bro you go through 10 lbs in 4-6 weeks? fuck how many scoops is that a day?

eh i might've exaggerated

like 3 or 4 shakes a day, a scoop-scoop and a half for each

Melo Gang All Day

June 6, 2011 @ 08:03 PM
604_mike

that aint that bad. I go through 5lbs every 7-10 days. Im trying add in more whole food protien sources though. Well see how long a 5 pounder lasts me now. Powder is so much more conveniant though.

Try this.

2 scoops chocolate protien powder of choice.

2 tblsppons natty pb

mix with a splash of water in a microwavable bowl, stir until you get a "batter" consistancy. You made need to add more water, you can play with the texture. Nuke for about a min. BAM. Chocolate brownie!!

I literally live of this when im cutting, 50gr protien and 15gr fat wich hits my meal macros. Some people add pysillium husk for fibre but I dont. Shit is money.
June 6, 2011 @ 08:50 PM
ClydeFrazier

that aint that bad. I go through 5lbs every 7-10 days. Im trying add in more whole food protien sources though. Well see how long a 5 pounder lasts me now. Powder is so much more conveniant though.

Try this.

2 scoops chocolate protien powder of choice.

2 tblsppons natty pb

mix with a splash of water in a microwavable bowl, stir until you get a "batter" consistancy. You made need to add more water, you can play with the texture. Nuke for about a min. BAM. Chocolate brownie!!

I literally live of this when im cutting, 50gr protien and 15gr fat wich hits my meal macros. Some people add pysillium husk for fibre but I dont. Shit is money.

damn son. yeah i typically have it with breakfast, then with creatine before working out, then after working out, then maybe a bit before bed, but i just got casein so i'll prolly switch to that.

i'll definitely try that. i need to get some natty pb, i love almond butter and all, but the fat content isn't quite where i need it to be.

Melo Gang All Day

June 7, 2011 @ 12:11 AM
It's Only Hype

Top 10 Supplements for Bulking:

hey scotty, you got the source for this? seems like an interesting article
June 7, 2011 @ 12:45 AM
401Dom

Also for the regular posters in this thread and nutrition/supps thread... Im going to combine the 2 threads cause they always go hand in hand.. And most people asking for advice always ask about both as well.. So what should we call the thread? Post what u think the new thread should be and we'll pick one.. Remember its about EVERYTHING!

Official Workout and Nutrition Thread

Official Physical Fitness and Nutrition Thread

Idk, just throwing some stuff out there.
June 7, 2011 @ 12:53 AM
Scotty

Yeah something along those lines...

Let me go through my history, i forgot to bookmark the page for the whole article.. But ill find and post it!
June 7, 2011 @ 10:52 PM
B_RAD

lol @ going thru 5 lbs of protein within 10 days. Ever heard of food?
June 10, 2011 @ 12:07 PM
mrdalez

anyone use Jack3d?
June 10, 2011 @ 12:52 PM
IdunFaped

anyone use Jack3d?

yea its best preworkout i have used just cycle through it
June 10, 2011 @ 03:05 PM
Silence

anyone use Jack3d?

It's okay. Some people like it, some people hate it. I personally hated it. I recommend White Flood, the new formula looks awesome.

/

June 10, 2011 @ 03:46 PM
traCk.

white flood is awesome. so is jack3d, but becareful taking jack3d if you have any drug tests coming up
June 10, 2011 @ 03:58 PM
Scotty

Jack3d and Assault are two highest Pre work out sellers on the market right now.. I see alot of bad reviews with jack3d though, cause it gives some people jitters all day.. And i hear for Assualt your body gets immune to it very quickly.. I dont use a pre workout.. For me a good pre workout meal(egg whites and oats) and green tea work for me! I workout in the morning so it work very well.. But a pre workout supp. will have different effects for everyone, so try different ones and see what works best..

Im switching up my protein this week, im going to order ON Hydrowhey protein instead of Gold standard.. Seeing the bst reviews on it and everyone is switching using this as there post workout protein.. It has more grams of protein, it reacts faster than gold standard, has more BCAA's in it, so which i will just stop taking xtend, and it also has digestive enzymes which i read are something everyone should be taking.. So going to start using this instead of Gold standard.. Let u all know how it works...
June 10, 2011 @ 08:44 PM
mrdalez

^i want to switch to hydrowhey too, but i still got 5 pounds of gold standard left so i gotta finish that first lol.
and i work out in the morning as well, actually have a pretty similar pre workout meal as you. just egg whites, oatmeal and green tea. but sometimes i work out on an empty stomach so i wanted to see if preworkout sup would work for me.
going to try some jack3d. pretty cheap with amazon prime.
June 11, 2011 @ 07:51 PM

Inactive

Bought myself " 30 HIGH PURE PROTEIN BARS CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP", looking forward to put my teeth on em.
June 11, 2011 @ 07:52 PM

Inactive

Bought myself , looking forward to put my teeth on em.
June 13, 2011 @ 06:31 PM
unknown force.

anyone fuq wit dem vibram five fingers?

tryning to get back in to running and trying to decide on some shoes
i'm tempted to try out barefoot running (only on treadmill for another couple months) but not sure how my knee would hold upz
June 14, 2011 @ 02:58 PM
frosty33

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/catbulk.htm
June 14, 2011 @ 04:13 PM
spitvicious

whats everyones favorite pre-workout supplement, im thinking about getting jacked, anyone fuck wit it?
June 14, 2011 @ 06:04 PM
Super Nintendo Chalmers

Iight peep it. For all those who know their ish....hook me up with advice. I'm starting to work out again, but my downfall has always been diet/nutrition.

I'm 235lbs. I wanna get to 200lbs. 190lbs if I'm lean. A good 40 lbs or more of my current weight is fat. I'm trying to get rid of that.

What would you recommend I eat? I don't care if I have to eat the same thing every day. I just need tips.

What workouts would you recommend if I'm trying to lose fat but not muscle?

Thanks for any input.
June 14, 2011 @ 07:10 PM
TwiggyDig

Iight peep it. For all those who know their ish....hook me up with advice. I'm starting to work out again, but my downfall has always been diet/nutrition.

I'm 235lbs. I wanna get to 200lbs. 190lbs if I'm lean. A good 40 lbs or more of my current weight is fat. I'm trying to get rid of that.

What would you recommend I eat? I don't care if I have to eat the same thing every day. I just need tips.

What workouts would you recommend if I'm trying to lose fat but not muscle?

Thanks for any input.

First, lose all your drink calories. This will help you lose tons of weight. Meaning drop all sodas, juices, and arizona ice teas, vitamin waters, etc. Gatorade is ok, but try to drink it during workouts instead of as a normal drink. Rule of thumb: stick to water. It speeds up your metabolism and manages your hunger if you drink enough.

Second, get rid of all extra unnecessary calories. This means unhealthy salad dressings, mayonnaise on your sandwiches, and brown sugar on your strawberries. These extra calories add up and store themselves right around your waistline, creating that stubborn lower belly fat.

Third, lose the sweets. Just GET RID of them. Don't eat cookies, don't eat cake, don't eat breakfast pastries, don't eat milk chocolate. This is the hardest, but after a few weeks of not eating desserts you'll see your belly start to get flatter and you'll feel less bloated. The killer with desserts is that people usually eat them at night, meaning your bodies metabolism is slow and it's more likely to store itself as fat.

Lastly, lose the unnecessary carbs. If you're trying to lose fat, you'll need to lower your calorie intake, and this starts with the carbs. Pasta, Pizza, Mashed potatoes, fries, all need to go. Nutritional carbs like vegetables, oats and some fruits are good because they have nutritional value, but they should be eaten with lunch and breakfast and less with dinner.

If you follow these basic guidelines and are consistant with them, and I mean CONSISTANT, you will see fast results. Add 30 minutes to an hour of any type of cardiovascular exercise every day and some weight lifting (not necessary for losing weight though) then you will quickly shed pounds. After 3 weeks you'll see results and get used to the lifestyle. The first three weeks are the hardest, but if you push you can do it. Just make sure you lower your calorie intake so you can lose weight (try 4 to 6 SMALL portion meals a day) which helps you metabolize food faster.

Good luck, if you have any questions just ask, if anything I said was inaccurate, feel free to chime in, I'm no expert but I know my fair share, I think...

Please login first to reply.