araw at bituin

recently started up again. cant do much though lol

i already feel the pain via forearm, bicep, and wrist muscles lol

http://instagram.com/qyel

October 8, 2008 @ 02:12 PM
WJTW

recently started up again. cant do much though lol

i already feel the pain via forearm, bicep, and wrist muscles lol

Keep at it dood. Thats how you train to get better.
October 8, 2008 @ 07:47 PM
pnsho

I used to bboy a lot, but I don't know much moves. I lean more to hip-hop dance, with tutting, etc.

But I can do just about any freeze. I wish I had the upper body to do flares/windmills/power moves.

Funny how I'm president of my school's Breakdance Club, too. lol
October 8, 2008 @ 08:38 PM
scfdefinit

I used to for a few years back in HS. Then I got busy and stopped. I'm ok. My toprock's pretty decent, I have good foundation, some freezes, and mills. Wish I kept with it.

Powermoves require strength to look good but in general its all technique/using your momentum. With enough practice you can get mills down in a few months, well you can probably get them down sooner but for real clean ones it'll take awhile.
October 8, 2008 @ 08:47 PM
pnsho

I think bboying should be focused more on style and rhythm rather than power moves.

I hate it when the audience overlooks toprock and go 'wooo' at power moves like flares. If you can form your bboying around the music, and dancing to the beat, your moves should come off very smoothly. Sadly, people won't realize it.
October 8, 2008 @ 08:54 PM
scfdefinit

Yeah. Only the true heads know whats up. Its funny how people start up bboying and they want to go straight into learning power moves. Then you end up having people with weak ass tops and no footwork whatsoever. That's why when people want me to teach them stuff I stress foundation. You can know every power move in the book but in the end you'll lose to someone with endless style/flavor and creativity in a battle. Bboying is a dance thats felt from the soul its not an acrobatics exhibition. But, the average person will never understand from only spectating.
October 8, 2008 @ 08:58 PM
pnsho

True.

But I might be biased in saying so because when I did (pretty insane) toprock against my homie in a wannabe battle at my high school dance, the white girls were like 'uhhhh' and my homie did a so-so windmill, and they were going nuts for him.
October 8, 2008 @ 10:32 PM
rich

^Most people who started breaking wanted power to impress girls. Hell, even I did. Once your past the ol' foundation, it is almost a requisite to have power in order to have a name. Most bboys I know started off as powerheads anyway.

Not really here to boast about myself, but i do break as well.
October 8, 2008 @ 10:39 PM
whs

True.

But I might be biased in saying so because when I did (pretty insane) toprock against my homie in a wannabe battle at my high school dance, the white girls were like 'uhhhh' and my homie did a so-so windmill, and they were going nuts for him.

maybe you're just ugly.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/461/nonibenefits007ai7.jpg

October 8, 2008 @ 10:47 PM
pnsho

Maybe.

I'd still like to see dancing to the beat rather than the power moves, which seem to be the say-all of bboying as of recently. But there is a handful of people keeping it.
October 8, 2008 @ 10:51 PM
rich

^Actually that seems to be whats hot in the breakin' community right now. Every comp. I go to or w/e, powerheads nowadays can ride a beat well. Hell even I do cool
October 8, 2008 @ 11:00 PM
pnsho

Word, word. Do you have youtube videos?

Sidenote - Are you Vietnamese? Sounds like it from your sufu name.
October 9, 2008 @ 02:21 AM
araw at bituin

i got some videos or bboy.org from a while ago
o shit i found em

www.bboy.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=76982

me like 3 years ago.

i can only do like 2 flares though. i do a lot more footwork, uprock, freezes and such. and ive been trying to do mills for 7 years. cant do it =/ no one's been able to help me

October 9, 2008 @ 03:15 AM
WJTW

Yeah straight up.... when the audience is watching you, doing just styles.. you don't get the wow crowd.. the majority of them sits and cheers for the power heads. Most of em not understanding the foundation itself.. but in the end only bboys know whats up.

I get alot of attention at my gym. Heck some chick comes up to me, was like yeah i like your moves. Can you do that "flair" thing again.. im like ummm.. yeah sure why not. ahha. Not to be cocky or anything. But its true. lol.
October 9, 2008 @ 03:34 AM
araw at bituin

Yeah straight up.... when the audience is watching you, doing just styles.. you don't get the wow crowd.. the majority of them sits and cheers for the power heads. Most of em not understanding the foundation itself.. but in the end only bboys know whats up.

I get alot of attention at my gym. Heck some chick comes up to me, was like yeah i like your moves. Can you do that "flair" thing again.. im like ummm.. yeah sure why not. ahha. Not to be cocky or anything. But its true. lol.

yeah. imo, power moves are nice and all but i give more props to a creative freeze or a nice six step over air flares or some shit.

October 9, 2008 @ 03:42 AM
WJTW

yeah. imo, power moves are nice and all but i give more props to a creative freeze or a nice six step over air flares or some shit.

If you have styles and power.. You are well rounded. That to me is a solid foundation!
October 9, 2008 @ 04:32 AM
araw at bituin

If you have styles and power.. You are well rounded. That to me is a solid foundation!

yeah. i rarely see that though lol.

anyone going to boty 08? its coming up on the 18th

October 9, 2008 @ 03:19 PM
rich

Word, word. Do you have youtube videos?

Sidenote - Are you Vietnamese? Sounds like it from your sufu name.

I don't have much videos of myself and none are they on youtube. I don't really compete as much as my friends do, but i plan to in the future.

and yeah, i am vietnamese
October 9, 2008 @ 04:43 PM
pnsho

So am I.

Bboying is probably the most popular 'sport' among Asian people, specifically Vietnamese people.

Many here would agree that power moves requires strong upper body, right?
October 9, 2008 @ 06:15 PM
rich

Not really, I was like boney when i first got flares and mills. These kind of moves are all about momentum and technique. I just bulked up for the moves to look more aesthetically pleasing cool

But for moves that require that upper body strength like hollows, handstands, pikes, air chairs, or basically all freezes. it is pretty vital.
October 9, 2008 @ 07:44 PM
scfdefinit

Upperbody strength? Nah. Ultimately powermoves are momentum and proper technique. If you're stronger you can do them faster and they'll look better but you don't really need tons of strength to do them. Like mills for instance, most of the power comes from your core and swinging your legs. If you turn/push off hard and swing your legs in a circular motion hard, then you'll rotate faster.

I can't do flares I know how to start them. It's mostly trying to kick your face (sounds weird I know but thats how you get height) and swinging/rotating your hips. All you're doing with your upperbody is placing your hands, if you kick hard enough and raise your hips you don't have to apply much force to keep yourself in the air.

Actually most powermoves, since they require spinning, most of your power comes from your core/hips.

Like Rich said, you need most strength for freezes. Man, you guys make me want to start up again lol. I saw some people bboying at the rec center at my college. Some of my friends were telling me to jump in but I know I'm hella rusty (if I tried to do a freeze I'd probably fall lol) and I'd get tired real quick.
October 9, 2008 @ 08:02 PM
pnsho

Well, yeah. In order to be really good, you have to constantly be working at it, something I don't do at all, lol.

I'm so out of shape that I get tired after the traditional toprock-six-step-freeze.
October 9, 2008 @ 08:07 PM
rich

^haha my dude metal is a smoker and his stamina puts alot of bboys to shame.

im starting to get out of shape too, juggling with all this college shit is effin' up my breakin schedule.
October 9, 2008 @ 11:55 PM
AlphaTrion

I've been a b-boy for about 8 years and been a breaks DJ for about 5 years. Repping Risen from the Ashes crew out of Atlanta.
October 9, 2008 @ 11:58 PM
AlphaTrion

^Actually that seems to be whats hot in the breakin' community right now. Every comp. I go to or w/e, powerheads nowadays can ride a beat well. Hell even I do cool

Agreed. For about the past 3 or 4 years now far more emphasis has been put on toprock and footwork especially in the US and Europe. Here in the US power very rarely wins battles. Korea's been stepping up their style game a lot more in the past couple of years as well.
October 10, 2008 @ 10:03 PM
rich

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWVUf8bJyf8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoCtdia6dkg

Ynot is one of the best toprockers on this planet. Possibly even the best. Cool dude too.
October 11, 2008 @ 06:08 AM
DREWKKAKE

i can do lyke handstand and da wurm

Forum Administrator • @DREWKKAKE

October 11, 2008 @ 11:41 AM
AlphaTrion

Ynot is one of the best toprockers on this planet. Possibly even the best. Cool dude too.

Had a chance to hang out with him for a couple of days when he stayed with a crewmate while he was judging a jam. Very cool and very knowledgeable. Dude drops knowledge like every 5 seconds.
October 11, 2008 @ 01:27 PM
pnsho

Any advice for upcoming dancers?

My advice to anyone that is breakin' now or wants to break is to know your foundation and history. Don't B.boy just to do it or because everybody else is doing it, or because it looks cool. When I first started, I wanted to know everything about it. You have to be involved in it. You have to ask questions and learn something because that's what's most important. B.boying is not about head spins. B.boying is about learning the culture. Don't just taste it, get the whole meal.

www.phillyhiphop.com/_features/interviews/interview-ynot.html
===

The interview made it seem like he was disappointed in bboying and its culture.

Please login first to reply.