1. Win the ball back
2. Pass it sideways to the wings
3. Cross it into the box
4. Repeat steps 1-3
__
Brilliant tactics, Fergie.
August 21, 2012 @ 01:18 AM
ThaGoldenBoy

Funnily enough if they utilised the wings from the get go they probably wouldve won.

There was a lack of link up between full backs and wingers and because of Kagawa United are trying more to play through the middle

I think it's all ludicrous, United are at their strongest when they use Nani and Valencia who are IMO 2 of the best wingers in Europe
August 21, 2012 @ 03:06 AM
Lemonz ♦

Nani has been shit for United (not counting the Euros) since the back end of last season. When in form he definitely is one of the best wingers, but he's inconsistent and the type of player that will be brilliant for 3 matches then shit for the 4th. He didn't do jack shit against Everton, not even one of his crosses was on target. Valencia was wasted at RB and when he actually did get forward he barely got a cross in, not that it would have mattered since Jags and Distin are very good in the air and defended every single cross that came in.

United are one dimensional as fuck. Even when RVP came on and made a few good runs forward they couldn't find him. And you know shit's bad when your best passer (Scholes) couldn't pick a single pass through the middle and kept going sideways like a crab with tunnel vision. Should have passed it to Kagawa a lot more in the second half since he was the only one that looked like creating chances. And as usual, Rooney was fucking useless against Everton.
"We played around him too much, we didn't show enough penetration,'' said Ferguson. With Robin in your team you know you want to use his ability against centre-backs in situations he is very good at - but we didn't use him enough.''

Well that will have to change. The Arsenal team was practically built around RVP so it will be interesting how this shit plays out.
August 21, 2012 @ 03:30 PM
kromaqee

Manchester 'pass it sideways' United.
1. Win the ball back
3. Cross it into the box
4. Repeat steps 1-3
__

I am a Chelsea man, but what is your (and anyone else's who would like to chime in) philosophy on how the beautiful game should be played? Just curious.

(KQ) http://blog.kromaqee.com

August 21, 2012 @ 04:47 PM
jmac100394

I like the way arsenal plays, not a lot of crossing and keeping possession of the ball.
August 21, 2012 @ 08:56 PM
tomo.

Nani has been shit for United (not counting the Euros) since the back end of last season. When in form he definitely is one of the best wingers, but he's inconsistent and the type of player that will be brilliant for 3 matches then shit for the 4th. He didn't do jack shit against Everton, not even one of his crosses was on target. Valencia was wasted at RB and when he actually did get forward he barely got a cross in, not that it would have mattered since Jags and Distin are very good in the air and defended every single cross that came in.

United are one dimensional as fuck. Even when RVP came on and made a few good runs forward they couldn't find him. And you know shit's bad when your best passer (Scholes) couldn't pick a single pass through the middle and kept going sideways like a crab with tunnel vision. Should have passed it to Kagawa a lot more in the second half since he was the only one that looked like creating chances. And as usual, Rooney was fucking useless against Everton.
"We played around him too much, we didn't show enough penetration,'' said Ferguson. With Robin in your team you know you want to use his ability against centre-backs in situations he is very good at - but we didn't use him enough.''

Well that will have to change. The Arsenal team was practically built around RVP so it will be interesting how this shit plays out.

We are not one directional mate, it is difficult to play through the middle when the defence sit deep and are as disciplined as Everton were, but it was so frustrating to sit through 30 minutes of steps 1 to 3 as Kromaqee put it.

It was like watching Chelsea-Barca last april, no plan B.

Rooney was dropping deep commanding our edge of box play but wasn't willing to have a crack from 20 yards - which we should of thought about doing in my opinion. Should of had more diversity in the delivery of our crosses aswell, drilling the ball into the box with numbers of bodies in there is always going to cause problems for the defence, however sending Valencia forward like that is dangerous when we could be hit on the counter - Valencia is best for drilled crosses.

Valencia was always going to be utilised in defense but he is more of a wing back than a traditional right back but with a makeshift defence sending him forward often wouldn't be advised. Also thought Evra has aged recently, good job we have signed Buttner as he looks like a good one for the future. Hopefully he can make the step up to the Premier League as his record in the Eredivisie for Vitesse was quality last season.

Yea Nani is inconsistent.

Nice to see nothing changes with Paul Scholes, new season, same - horrendous - late challenges.
August 22, 2012 @ 08:54 PM
Lemonz ♦

Rooney wasn't commanding anything. All he did was loose the ball and his first touch was horrible. I don't know why he was given an extended holiday when he didn't do shit in the Euros, and that's why he looked unfit during pre-season and he still does now.

Why didn't Rafael start at RB? You already have a makeshift CB and you start your best winger out of position, that's what I don't get - unless he feels Valncia is less of a defensive liability than Rafael.
August 22, 2012 @ 10:19 PM
tomo.

It's just standard practice that rooney got an extended break, just like other internationals at other clubs - Joe Hart and Lescott for instance. Rooney will be alright after a few games, once he is back in the flow of things- we could see this around the turn of the year when he was pretty sluggish in the league having had a small break over christmas.

I'm not sure why Rafael didn't start - probably not match fit more than likely having a break after the Olympics, but nethertheless Valencia is a competent RB/WB, being WB allows him to go forward and attack so in that sense we can utilise his ability as a winger whilst having him defend.

Haha, hey we all know Rooney is useless for his country and world class at club level but I'm not complaining!
August 24, 2012 @ 12:49 PM
Lemonz ♦

Rooney is useless for his country and world class at club level but I'm not complaining!

razz
What happened to the Rooney that was scoring volleys against Newcastle and hattricks on his Champions League debut? His touch, technique and general attacking play has been reduced to mediocre levels. Inb4 ''he scores 20+ goals a season hurr durr'' that's because the team is built around him, and has been ever since Ronaldo left. He has become a poacher and a system babby, and his playmaking ability is overrated.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's just not the player he used to be.
August 24, 2012 @ 02:39 PM
tomo.

You will not see a player score goals such as the Rooney volley against newcastle every week - it was one of the best goals that I've ever seen in the Premier League. Also, as for hat-tricks, how about Rooney's three goals against Arsenal at home last season?

Rooney has developed into a better all round player since Ronaldo and Tevez left - and he now plays in a different position. That's why you don't see him going through one on one anymore.

@lemonz which team do you follow?
August 25, 2012 @ 03:01 AM
Lemonz ♦

I don't expect him or anyone else to score goals like every week, nor am I counting the amount of hatricks he scores, what I'm saying is that he hasn't really lived up to his potential. If he continued to develop like he did when he was 17-20 then right now he'd be in the same bracket as Messi/Ronaldo.

@9tom9 I started following United because Ronaldo was (and still is) my fav player, although I'm also somewhat a neutral.
August 25, 2012 @ 06:41 PM
dildo baggins

sahin to liverpool cool

Lol...

sup bruh cool
August 25, 2012 @ 08:00 PM
ThaGoldenBoy

Rooney is useless for his country and world class at club level but I'm not complaining!

razz
What happened to the Rooney that was scoring volleys against Newcastle and hattricks on his Champions League debut? His touch, technique and general attacking play has been reduced to mediocre levels. Inb4 ''he scores 20+ goals a season hurr durr'' that's because the team is built around him, and has been ever since Ronaldo left. He has become a poacher and a system babby, and his playmaking ability is overrated.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's just not the player he used to be.

This is what happens to English lads here

They burst into the scene with a style of play that is daring, a style that diminishes as they grow older as more discipline is required. Same happened to Walcott, essentially you're pressured to take on players less and instead to play for the team more
August 25, 2012 @ 08:02 PM
ThaGoldenBoy

Also playing through the middle wouldn't have worked against Everton, like I said wingplay wouldve been far more effective as Everton had 2 banks of four sitting deep.

United aren't even exceptional at playing through the middle so I don't see how you expected them to break that down really
August 25, 2012 @ 08:20 PM
tomo.

Fair enough @lemonz, do you watch a lot of BPL then?

Also playing through the middle wouldn't have worked against Everton, like I said wingplay wouldve been far more effective as Everton had 2 banks of four sitting deep.

United aren't even exceptional at playing through the middle so I don't see how you expected them to break that down really

Yea I agree with what you said, just felt like we could of had more of a back up plan.

Now that Rooney is injured I'd like to see Hernandez get some more game time - however seems like a while since we've been able to utilise his pace in getting in behind teams. Like you say its mostly wingplay now.

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we can get some results under our belt because we're looking a bit shaky at the moment - we need to get the bit between our teeth and get some defenders back. Chelsea are also looking more threatening than I had first though.
August 25, 2012 @ 08:28 PM
ThaGoldenBoy

Problem is if you're looking to use pace in behind all a team has to do is sit deep and boom Hernandez is ineffective. Then you'll probably have to revert to wingplay again and whip crosses in for him to jump on the end of

Correct me if i'm wrong but Hernandez isn't even that pacey is he? If anything I thought his movement was more influential in him scoring so many goals.

Funnily enough whilst Fergie tinkers with United in an attempt to get them playing an effective possession based game, linking up with 1-2s in the final third and to be honest failing abit with it, Chelsea seem to be playing a tasty brand of football with no problems.

Their front 3 interchange positions so seamlessly and with Mata in between the channels already it allows so much link up play. Also one word, Hazard. Luckily for Chelsea he's on some serious form, looks like he's carried on his Lille form
August 25, 2012 @ 08:32 PM
ThaGoldenBoy

Manchester 'pass it sideways' United.
1. Win the ball back
3. Cross it into the box
4. Repeat steps 1-3
__

I am a Chelsea man, but what is your (and anyone else's who would like to chime in) philosophy on how the beautiful game should be played? Just curious.

The right way the beautiful game should be played is a way which guarantees victory, that's all.

I would state mine but football isn't a sport that can be dominated by 1 style of play, every style has a counter style
August 25, 2012 @ 10:19 PM
Lemonz ♦

Problem is if you're looking to use pace in behind all a team has to do is sit deep and boom Hernandez is ineffective. Then you'll probably have to revert to wingplay again and whip crosses in for him to jump on the end of

Correct me if i'm wrong but Hernandez isn't even that pacey is he? If anything I thought his movement was more influential in him scoring so many goals.

Funnily enough whilst Fergie tinkers with United in an attempt to get them playing an effective possession based game, linking up with 1-2s in the final third and to be honest failing abit with it, Chelsea seem to be playing a tasty brand of football with no problems.

Their front 3 interchange positions so seamlessly and with Mata in between the channels already it allows so much link up play. Also one word, Hazard. Luckily for Chelsea he's on some serious form, looks like he's carried on his Lille form

United are actually getting better at it. They look a lot better with Kagawa in the team and he always pops up in the right places on the edge of the box. Remember the start of last season when Cleverley and Ando were ripping teams apart with the 1-2's, if they can rediscover that form + Kagawa then that would be deadly. The only problem is that United are soft through the middle, Fellaini proved it monday and Dembele did today, I guess that's why so many people were crying out for a DM.
As for Hazard I thought he'd end up being a flop for Chelsea, at least for the first 6 months or so.

Fair enough @lemonz, do you watch a lot of BPL then?

EPL mostly, Serie A, La Liga and occasionally Bundesliga.
August 25, 2012 @ 10:37 PM
tomo.

Dowd is fucking useless. Just seen him make another shocking decision in the Chelsea game.

Yea I thought it would take longer for Hazard to adapt to the premier league. Gutted I haven't put him in my fantasy football team now.

I think that's why Fergie was reluctant to sign an centre mid - because of the start Ando and Cleverley had beginning of last season. If they hadn't of become injured when they did I don't think there would of been much cause for concern. We will have to see how well Cleverley comes through this season and hopefully we can get our centre backs back and remain relatively injury free for a good few months.

Hernandez is quite pacy, not the fastest but I always enjoyed watching him play on the shoulder of the last defender. What is was trying to allude to was his goal against Chelsea at Old Trafford in his first season 2 years ago - burtsing through the defence and going one on one with Cech after a couple of minutes. But yea, his movement is more influential in him scoring goals. I just enjoy fast free flowing attacking football which you can get with him.

@brun which team do you support?

@lemonz sounds good, although I find Serie A incredibly boring. Bundesliga is good though.
August 25, 2012 @ 11:35 PM
ThaGoldenBoy

Yeah lemonz that's true, but remember Carrick's having to fill at CB, when Ferdinand and the rest come back he should slot back into the midfield.

Fellaini dominated that defence badly though

I support Arsenal man, are you English?
August 25, 2012 @ 11:37 PM
tomo.

Yea I'm English. Not sure why I can't show my location, maybe I haven't racked up enough posts? I'm a United supporter.
August 26, 2012 @ 12:03 AM
ThaGoldenBoy

Lol sounds weird but i could tell from the way you write stuff

And yeah thats weird, I only changed it to UK a few months ago, the option seems to have gone now :/
August 26, 2012 @ 12:07 AM
tomo.

Haha. Yea, writing whilst wearing my red specs!
August 26, 2012 @ 12:17 AM
ThaGoldenBoy

Haha indeed man

Its nice having some more Brits on the site to be honest!
August 26, 2012 @ 12:27 AM
tomo.

Haha yea that's true. I was interested in this thread to hear what the Americans had to say about the Premier League

@lemonz do you support an MLS team?
August 26, 2012 @ 12:40 AM
Lemonz ♦

Yeah lemonz that's true, but remember Carrick's having to fill at CB, when Ferdinand and the rest come back he should slot back into the midfield.

Fellaini dominated that defence badly though

I support Arsenal man, are you English?

True, but I think Fellaini would have still dominated even with Rio in defense, he was unplayable lol.

@9tom9 No, can't even remember the last time I watched MLS.
August 26, 2012 @ 01:30 AM
ThaGoldenBoy

Thing is defenders like Vidic and Ferdinand can draw fouls from attackers, I reckon he wouldve dealt with Fellaini better but Fellaini still woudlve been effective
August 26, 2012 @ 02:45 AM
merovane

Chelsea looks dangerous this season... They beat a really good Newcastle United team that I think will take the 4th spot behind the two Man's and Chelsea and in front of Tottenham
August 26, 2012 @ 03:12 PM
tomo.

Oh dear, the scousers have got red nets now... Not a fan tbh!

Edit: Bullet Header!

Please login first to reply.