Official Fixed Gear Thread

May 19, 2010 @ 02:21
I was just wondering, does anyone here do tricks on their bike?
May 19, 2010 @ 02:39
Brakes and freewheels feel so safe after riding strictly brakeless-fixed for the last year or so.

daz becus it is gurlll
May 19, 2010 @ 20:39
Brakes + fixed gear would give you the safest most controlled ride of your life, btw ;)
May 19, 2010 @ 21:26
I was just wondering, does anyone here do tricks on their bike?

all day, you stay in the 626?
May 20, 2010 @ 16:03

MY RIDE!
May 20, 2010 @ 16:06
woah what the hell?
May 20, 2010 @ 23:29
all day, you stay in the 626?

Yeah, I'm in Alhambra. I'm having a lot of trouble riding the bike in reverse. Any tips?

@WJTW Thats a really nice bike! What kind of frame is it?
May 21, 2010 @ 00:20
same here .. blinkyeyes

maybe we know each other?
May 21, 2010 @ 00:41
Yeah, I'm in Alhambra. I'm having a lot of trouble riding the bike in reverse. Any tips?

@WJTW Thats a really nice bike! What kind of frame is it?

practice your trackstands in both directions with different feet positions. if that made sense.

and if you already got em down, then i dunno.

http://instagram.com/qyel

May 21, 2010 @ 01:17

IG - @SEANLEQUANG OG 2007 HB FINESSE

May 21, 2010 @ 01:38
if its your first fixed gear and all you are doing is riding it to school and back, just buy the cheapest one that fits you and doesn't make weird noises. you will never know the difference and you won't have to worry about it getting stolen
May 21, 2010 @ 01:43
Brakes + fixed gear would give you the safest most controlled ride of your life, btw ;)

debatable.

feedback: http://hypebeast.com/forums/buyerseller-feedback/169975#3407782

May 21, 2010 @ 01:45

out of those i'd probably say the madison. id stay away from listings that don't mention brand names. also id suggest against buying a conversion, since they're usually way overpriced.

May 21, 2010 @ 02:18
Originally posted by Inactive User
if its your first fixed gear and all you are doing is riding it to school and back, just buy the cheapest one that fits you and doesn't make weird noises. you will never know the difference and you won't have to worry about it getting stolen

We'll I want to know behind what I am riding since I'm investing my time and money into it, also it won't be just from school and back, but probably anywhere and everywhere I need to go.

What do you guys think about the 56.5 Fuji? I heard they make nice frames, but that one is covered in paint so how do you know if it is the right frame that the person says it is?

Also, how come the madison is a good option? Worth the price?

Edit: Schwinn Madison says its a size medium, I'm 5"10-5"11, will it be ok?

IG - @SEANLEQUANG OG 2007 HB FINESSE

May 21, 2010 @ 07:10
the fuji is a conversion. out of the batch you posted the schwinn is the best. I think the price is a bit high.

edit:

check these bikes out. they have last years in 2 different colors for 400.

http://store.citygrounds.com/store/category/2/46/Track/
May 21, 2010 @ 12:43
debatable.

not at all. the only place brakeless would be safer is on the track. if youre riding on the road you should have a break. riding brakeless is also bad for your knees and in a lot of places against the law.
May 21, 2010 @ 17:16
debatable.

How?

Fixed you have complete control of your drive train, as opposed to coasting. Front and back brakes (back up) complete stopping power.

If you're gonna say the rear brake is debatable, maybe but hardly. Two brakes are better than one and one brake is better than none.

Now go, debate.
May 21, 2010 @ 17:42
gearz, dude

May 21, 2010 @ 18:22
I'd like to join this debate. I ride fixed and road. Fixed gear bikes look better. Road bikes are more comfortable to ride as you can coast and always come with brakes. In addition, Road bikes are built to be comfortable as possible because they are used to do marathons and such. Fixed Gear bikes could be used to do that, but I would say you get tired easily.
May 21, 2010 @ 19:03
WJTW, you need some cages son
May 21, 2010 @ 19:58
I'd like to join this debate. I ride fixed and road. Fixed gear bikes look better. Road bikes are more comfortable to ride as you can coast and always come with brakes. In addition, Road bikes are built to be comfortable as possible because they are used to do marathons and such. Fixed Gear bikes could be used to do that, but I would say you get tired easily.

I find I don't get tired and faster riding fixed
May 21, 2010 @ 22:44
In addition, Road bikes are built to be comfortable as possible because they are used to do marathons and such.

Last time I checked people ran marathons.
May 22, 2010 @ 14:09
gearz, dude

What? Gears doesn't = control.

Being able to control your drive train = Safe + front brake = Safer + Rear brake = Safest.

Gearing helps when riding, to make climbing easier.
Descending with a geared bike is all the same, you aren't forced to control your bike with your legs. You aren't "forced" to pedal.
May 22, 2010 @ 17:15
I find I don't get tired and faster riding fixed

I get pretty annoyed having to peddle constantly. I like to coast at times.
May 23, 2010 @ 20:48
anyone riding spinergy REV-X's? Just wondering what peoples opinion on them is.
May 24, 2010 @ 03:32
Coasting feels nice as fuck.
May 24, 2010 @ 04:40

I dunno how you're practising riding backwards now, but try pushing off the wall first or even running into the wall and doing an endo, this way you'll get some momentum when you pedal backwards.

When you start pedalling backwards, lean back as far as you can and keep the bars straight as possible. It also becomes easier if you lower your seat, adjust the seat angle and get wider bars.
May 24, 2010 @ 14:17
Originally posted by Inactive User
anyone riding spinergy REV-X's? Just wondering what peoples opinion on them is.

Everyone who has never rode one, will blabber about how a few exploded.

Guess what, all wheels at some point or another have failed.
Deep Vs break, road wheels break, and so on.

If you plan on tricking with it, i wouldn't suggest it.

If you just ride around without jumping on and off shit, it's fine.

Massan rode one, and my buddy bought it from him a few years back.
It's still running.
May 24, 2010 @ 20:16
rev x wheels are decent if you can find them for a good price, ie less than 200 or around 150. the blades are very thin and you can flex them with two fingers.

that being said they're pretty strong for what they are. watch dirt's part in mash/macaframa and you'll see some of the abuse it can be put through. FWIW I still wouldn't do tricks on them.

May 25, 2010 @ 11:01
This has probably been discussed before and I can guess you guys' attitudes towards this but what do you guys think about UO fixed gear bikes.

I pretty much decided to lurk on craigslist for my bike but it could be another option.
Please login first to reply.