Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
September 6, 2007 @ 09:48 PM
TheFly

No pics yet, but I just got a bareknuckle frame in the mail today.
Be on the lookout for a green blur zooming past you!

Broke, Crit Mass was chased by 10+ cop cars and a ghetto bird, I saw multiple arrests, one police brutality andat least 4 people on bikes wreck hard.
Next one is coming up quick, be there!
September 6, 2007 @ 10:44 PM
Peter Suh

WTF? Are you serious? Why were the cops in chase mode?
September 6, 2007 @ 10:52 PM
TheFly

WTF? Are you serious? Why were the cops in chase mode?

I don't know, when we got into north park, all of a sudden tons of cops showed up, broke everyone up, pulled into crowds and started trying to arrest people. Everyone ran, and cops were speeding around every sidestreet chasing people, the helicopter was shining its lights down following us. It was pretty exciting.

www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070901-9999-7m1bikers.html
September 7, 2007 @ 12:00 PM
Peter Suh

What a rush! Some of the comments in the article are hilarious..
September 7, 2007 @ 09:08 PM
TheFly

What a rush! Some of the comments in the article are hilarious..

Yeah, it shows you just how stupid some drivers really are.
September 7, 2007 @ 10:39 PM
EekaMouse

anyone have a 52 cm frame for sale? smile
September 7, 2007 @ 11:26 PM
Peter Suh

PM Sent..
September 19, 2007 @ 10:02 PM
Ma Duce

who bikes?
so i'm looking to buy a fixie pretty soon. right now, i'm looking at the bianchi pista and the iro mark v. is one better than the other? i'm leaning more towards the iro, just because it's less common and i think it looks more clean. the problem is that i have short legs and need a 49cm, or even 48cm frame. the smallest size the iro mark v comes in is a 50cm (the next one down is 46cm, and it uses 650cc wheels). they don't have anything in between a 46 and 50, at least for the new models. so i'm wondering if the iro runs a little small, and if the 50cm would fit me. i'm about 5'4'' with short legs, longer torso. on the other hand, the smallest size for the bianchi pista is 49cm, which i think would be perfect..

any insight to help this noob out would be appreciated.

IRO Mark V

Bianchi Pisa

lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

September 19, 2007 @ 10:15 PM
PAVED

Which one weighs less? I prefer the Bianchi because I know they are of EXCELLENT quality and its appearance is superb
September 19, 2007 @ 10:19 PM
Ma Duce

i believe they're both chromoly, so probably about the same.

September 19, 2007 @ 10:24 PM
PAVED

From the things you said (smaller frame size), I'd suggest you go with bianchi because they do in fact make the frame size that is suitable for your height. There is no worse thing than trying to reach the pedals due to a larger frame size. I'd also go with Bianchi even though it's more common... how many people do you really see biking on a Bianchi?
September 19, 2007 @ 10:27 PM
Ma Duce

you'd be surprised man haha. TONS of people ride bianchis around here and in the sf area. i see them all the time around my school too. =\

but yeah, you're right. bianchi would probably be a better fit in the end..

September 19, 2007 @ 10:35 PM
PAVED

Oh wow, I had no idea around the hype of Bianchis. Actually, that should be proof that Bianchi is the way to go no? Unless people jump on the Bianchi bandwagon like they do with shoes. I'd be uncomfortable looking like a tool who "conformed" to this hype, but the thought of me riding around a high-quality bike seems to outweigh that. (Actually, I don't really care ..it was just hypothetical talk) Is there a way to get customize the frame of the IRO?
September 19, 2007 @ 10:52 PM
Ma Duce

yeah, i'm not concerned with that either. i mean, who cares, it's an excellent bike regardless.

i don't believe you can customize the IRO frames. i know the completes (which is what i want) go down to a 46cm, but the framesets are only offered down to a 50cm. i did a little more research on the sizes for both of them, and the 49cm bianchi pista has a standover height of 29'', versus the 50cm iro mark v, which has a standover height of 29.5''. do you think the half inch discrepancy will be significant?

September 20, 2007 @ 12:42 AM
TheFly

yeah, i'm not concerned with that either. i mean, who cares, it's an excellent bike regardless.

i don't believe you can customize the IRO frames. i know the completes (which is what i want) go down to a 46cm, but the framesets are only offered down to a 50cm. i did a little more research on the sizes for both of them, and the 49cm bianchi pista has a standover height of 29'', versus the 50cm iro mark v, which has a standover height of 29.5''. do you think the half inch discrepancy will be significant?

Standover height is meaningless.
You should look at seat tube length and top tube length to make a decision. From my understanding IRO's seem to run a little small, so a 50 would only be a 48-49. I believe its because they dont measure center to center, but center to top. And you can customize IROs just as much as bianchis, even more because when you buy a complete you can talk to the builder (tony) and tell him to add something special if you want.

For overall Quality I'd go for the IRO. Also the Pista is flashier and more common, which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you like. Bianchi is a huge company, IRO is some guy in his barn, which are you going to support?
September 20, 2007 @ 12:45 AM
Ma Duce

Standover height is meaningless.
You should look at seat tube length and top tube length to make a decision. From my understanding IRO's seem to run a little small, so a 50 would only be a 48-49. I believe its because they dont measure center to center, but center to top. And you can customize IROs just as much as bianchis, even more because when you buy a complete you can talk to the builder (tony) and tell him to add something special if you want.

For overall Quality I'd go for the IRO. Also the Pista is flashier and more common, which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you like. Bianchi is a huge company, IRO is some guy in his barn, which are you going to support?

thanks man. that helped a lot.

September 20, 2007 @ 11:57 PM
bomber

I may not make any friends saying this, but the Pista is pretty much the de facto hipster fixie. They are dirt cheap and look nice though, so I can definitely see the appeal.

My vote? Custom Vanilla smile Sure the frame alone would buy you 5 complete Pistas, and you will have to wait a minimum of four years to get one...but c'mon its a Vanilla!:

September 21, 2007 @ 03:55 AM
TheFly

No kid here needs a vanilla.
Sure they are nice, but its not the kind of bike you lock up outside a bar.
Get a cheap, good, fun IRO.
When it gets scratched, dinged, dirty and possibly stolen, you wont feel so bad.
September 21, 2007 @ 10:41 AM
bomber

^ I'm just worried that by the time most of the people here wait 4 years for their bikes they probably won't want to ride no more...

Hmm, social commentary on the state of track bikes as fashion accessories? smile
September 21, 2007 @ 01:30 PM
Peter Suh

Merged the fixie threads..
September 21, 2007 @ 03:56 PM
PAVED

Are Iro's of cheaper quality than Bianchi?
September 21, 2007 @ 05:21 PM
Ma Duce

they're both solid bikes, but bianchi has been around for wayyyyy longer.

September 21, 2007 @ 10:42 PM
TheFly

they're both solid bikes, but bianchi has been around for wayyyyy longer.

but IRO isnt just a big name brand, its a small company with a commitment to quality and service.
September 24, 2007 @ 11:37 PM
owensA

Hmm, social commentary on the state of track bikes as fashion accessories? smile

lol, it's quite true. No one with the exception of messengers and competitive bikers using them for training (or racing in velodromes) used fixies 10 years ago. The hipster look has been influenced by bike couriers for a bit now, through messenger bags, biker caps, and now they've got the bikes to go with it. Just like trucker caps and puma speed cats, i'm guessing fixies will fall out of style with the hipster demographic in a few years. I mean how can you explain the recent rise of fixed gears (which have been around forever and were never particularly popular) besides as a sort of fashion trend. Not raggin on fixies, just commenting on the vast amount of people that are buying them for the trendy, cool factor.

And btw, Bianchi is a great company and one of the premier bike companies in the world (not just in terms of fixies either).
September 25, 2007 @ 09:20 PM
Stuntastic14

New bars for me.

September 26, 2007 @ 08:12 PM
gummy_B

anyone know anything about FREE SPIRIT the chinese bikes... mine has like chinese symbols on the frame and the handlebars. I don't know anything about it and i feel i should.
October 27, 2007 @ 12:25 AM
KYSL

dont have enough money for a fixie or fixed conversion... i would like to try it out some day though. besides, i do more trail riding...
but for now, i love my gears :D gets me to school faster = 5 mins more of sleep
October 27, 2007 @ 04:13 AM
Ma Duce

New bars for me.

i need bullhorns..they look really comfortable.

November 8, 2007 @ 01:44 AM
unknown force.

whats the average price for a beginniner fixie? like 400?

i found this one:
pacbikes.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=1507

i plan on reading up as much as i can about fixies tommorrow when i get home. right now i'm hurting for a new method of transportation since my car starts about 1/4th the time sad
November 10, 2007 @ 04:43 PM
Ma Duce

new bars and MKS sylvan track pedals w/clips.

Please login first to reply.