Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
September 7, 2006 @ 10:50 AM
TheFly

anyones opinion on surly?
oh yea,.. ive been riding at night on the shitty peugeot i ghetto rigged into a single speed, to get used to riding in traffic. i put spacers in the rear to compensate for the lack of derailer stuff. one side broke, in traffic, and caused the rear wheel to get wedged into the side of the frame.
not fun.

Everyone seems to like the Surly Steamrollers, and they are local to where I'm living so they are everywhere. They have a good rep thats for sure. From earlier in this thread:
Steamroller is unbeatable for the price and power. I beat the shit out of mine and it keeps rocking. The best part of the Steamroller is the tire clearance. In the fall, I put on some big ass fat tires on it and take it off road.

Befriend someone who can get Surlys for cost, I believe the steamroller is around 250ish cost (450 retailconfused. I've bee digging the EAI Bareknuckle lately.

And theres been tons of problems with my girls Pugeot, its pretty much falling apart and getting components for the weird french standard is a pain in the ass.
September 7, 2006 @ 10:55 AM
TheFly

yoo your girl be getting down with skids or anything?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL6_L6MikvM
cool
September 7, 2006 @ 12:31 PM

Inactive

other than surly, know of any decent "new" frames? id love ot find some vintage blah blah, but i mean,.. come on i see that not happening quick.
September 7, 2006 @ 02:11 PM
TheFly

other than surly, know of any decent "new" frames? id love ot find some vintage blah blah, but i mean,.. come on i see that not happening quick.

As I said, I'm pretty hyped on the EAI Bareknuckle for a new frame.
www.thebikebiz.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=BK%2DTRK%2DEAI01
I think its 550ish.

Other new frames:

IRO Angus: www.irocycle.com/id23.html
Soma Rush: www.somafab.com/rush.html
Pake: www.pakebikes.com
Spicer: www.spicercycles.com

IRO has the best rep out of those 4 by far. I dont like the thick tubes though. Soma Rush looks nice, ugly decals. Pake is cheap and has an ugly fork. Spicer I have no idea. I'm thinking about ordering a Bareknuckle soon though.
September 14, 2006 @ 02:55 AM

Inactive

i dont knwo what to do with it : |
September 20, 2006 @ 07:01 PM
TheFly

Downtube shifters are bad.
September 21, 2006 @ 12:34 AM
Giorgio1

wow i never knew people did this. i thought a beach cruiser was cool haha. how much would it cost to buy a built fixed gear?
September 21, 2006 @ 02:38 AM

Inactive

you dont like index shifting?
i love this bike, i slapped a seat on it and have been commuting to work.
i dont think i will be making this one a fixed, but i def. want the 650cc front profile on the next bike.
a friend is donating a mens peugeot frame which i can slap all my mixte frame crap on, but i dunno. i rode a track frame and COMPLETELY understand wtf you were talking about as far as response goes. no way youll get that from somethin from a thrift store. ive been really thinking about a surly, and ive been combing my usual 2nd hand places in search of a used keirin frame. i have my girlfriend on the hunt too, which is making her friends think she is a complete psycho.
September 21, 2006 @ 02:55 AM

Inactive

oh yeh
this:

is intense. i wish i had more money : (
September 28, 2006 @ 11:19 AM
TheFly

September 28, 2006 @ 05:46 PM

Inactive

so my other posts are missing
i found a nishiki at a thrift store for 20 bucks.
iro rear hub is in. $20 bucks for a used shimano 105 used crank set.
need a chain ring.
stripped everything off, shaved off the wire guides, sprayed belton signal white. (was gonna do some crazy paint, but EHHH)
plan is to ride around a bit, then sell and use that money towards a nice track frame. supposedly girlfriends friend knows about a bridgestone frame chillin in saitama that no ones using. well see.

are all of yo using toe clips?
ive ben trying to find straps that dont need them, but only hear bad stuff about them.
September 28, 2006 @ 07:07 PM
TheFly

How did the paint turn out? I was going to spray my frame sometimes. I'm not sure if I want to put the money down for a powdercoating.

I have clips/straps and I dont see how they would do much without straps. All in all I love having straps and am going to get some nicer clips and double-straps sometime soon.
September 28, 2006 @ 07:09 PM
TheFly

how much would it cost to buy a built fixed gear?

Depends on what you start with.
You can build a fixed gear for really cheap if you find some good used parts. Theres single speeds or old road frames on craigslist for like 50 bucks, then just strip the excess gears/brakes and get a fixed wheelset for 150ish and you're set. Or find a used wheelset, or back wheel, whatever. Depends how ghetto you want to be.
September 28, 2006 @ 10:34 PM
Giorgio1

this might be astupid question but is it possible to buy a made fixie at a store?
September 29, 2006 @ 03:49 AM

Inactive

You can buy fixed gears at your local bike shop, but it will depend on what brands they carry. Im working on my first conversion, an old fuji. The last of my parts should be in tomorrow. Here's a sneek peek of the paint...red and white cement print hahaha.

I'll post some more pictures when she's all done.
September 29, 2006 @ 01:42 PM
TheFly

this might be astupid question but is it possible to buy a made fixie at a store?

Where exactly in LA are you?
All the Imartins carry Bianchi, with the pre-mad fixed Pista.
There is also KHS Flite's, IRO Angus/Mark V, Raleigh Rush Hour, Specialized Langster, Upcoming Schwinn Madison, Plus a few others.
September 29, 2006 @ 01:43 PM
TheFly

I'll post some more pictures when she's all done.

That paint looks pretty crazy.
October 1, 2006 @ 12:30 AM
Giorgio1

i live around glendale if you know where that is.

im gonna stop by my local bike shop sometime soon, whats a trusted brand ?
October 1, 2006 @ 01:25 PM
TheFly

The default stock fixed gear is a Bianchi Pista. I'd check it out first and test ride that around. I would buy it over the raleigh/specialized crap, and you're not going to find a complete IRO or anything locally.

Bianchiusa.com has a list of dealers.
Have fun!
October 1, 2006 @ 05:18 PM

Inactive

oh no i wanted to ride without clips, but straps, but im noticing how it wouldnt work out too well.
October 3, 2006 @ 02:48 AM
camthraxFHK

Ha, I ride an older downshifting centurion. Funny to see another one of these, because apparently they're not especially common or highly regarded. I dont know much about bikes though.
October 3, 2006 @ 12:41 PM

Inactive

did you have the funky 650c wheel upfront?
that seems to stump everyone : (
October 9, 2006 @ 02:18 AM

Inactive

Finished her yesterday.
October 18, 2006 @ 03:44 PM

Inactive

wow that came out really nice! i guess my nishiki i picked up is going from normal plain ol' white into a peice for an upcoming art show. ill post up pics as its coming along.
October 22, 2006 @ 09:16 PM

Inactive

picked up the one on the right (atala) today for very cheap.. the kicker,.. everything is campy!!!!! i ned tubes/tires. people who are riding street, what tires seem to be doing good against city asphalt?
October 23, 2006 @ 11:56 AM
TheFly

picked up the one on the right (atala) today for very cheap.. the kicker,.. everything is campy!!!!! i ned tubes/tires. people who are riding street, what tires seem to be doing good against city asphalt?

Vittoria Rubino Pro or Vittoria Zaffiro if you're on a budget (and like to skid).
Both come in different colors too!
October 24, 2006 @ 01:16 AM

Inactive

picked up the vittoria slicks

nice ride!
October 26, 2006 @ 04:43 AM

Inactive

caught a line on a cheap khs flite 100,.. worth picking up,.. or waiting it out for a keirin frame to put all my campy parts on?
October 30, 2006 @ 10:56 AM
TheFly

caught a line on a cheap khs flite 100,.. worth picking up,.. or waiting it out for a keirin frame to put all my campy parts on?

I don't care for Flite's much... but Futura2000 has one (if that means anything, which it doesnt). My girl had one of those Mercier Kilo-TT's, which is the same exact frame as a Flite and she didnt really like it. I'd say wait.

I think I'm going to grab a Bareknuckle or IRO Angus this winter.
October 30, 2006 @ 03:06 PM
Freshcity

which would you fixie geniuses suggest over the other
a bianchi pista
or a fuji track?
i'm also looking at a sun uno. what do you think?

Please login first to reply.