Official Fixed Gear Thread

Jul 03, 2013 @ 12:33
Im about to pull the trigger on my first bike (fixed gear because thats what I'm use to using on the spinning machines at the gym) 

I'm looking at bikes direct and am thinking between the Dawes SST and Windsor Clockwork (Hour w/ Brakes)

Could anyone chime in on which to choose or if anyone knew of someone selling a 52cm frame in the NYC area for <$300.

Thanks!
Jul 25, 2013 @ 23:21

bitch, dont kill my vibe...

Jul 26, 2013 @ 02:08
Im about to pull the trigger on my first bike (fixed gear because thats what I'm use to using on the spinning machines at the gym) 

I'm looking at bikes direct and am thinking between the Dawes SST and Windsor Clockwork (Hour w/ Brakes)

Could anyone chime in on which to choose or if anyone knew of someone selling a 52cm frame in the NYC area for <$300.

Thanks!
sorry for the late response; either one is a good choice. I've been riding a windsor hour from bikes direct for a couple years without any problems.

http://instagram.com/qyel

Aug 07, 2013 @ 00:39
Hi, been wanting to buy a bike for the longest time just to get around town and probably for school too and to save gas. Went on Bikesdirect saw the windsor the hour just waiting for the other sizes to come available. Also looked around craigslist saw this one.

http://images.craigslist.org/00f0f_1cdgSPmR4AW_600x450.jpg

he said its flip hub. Dont know what the means and said that its fixed gear on one side and has a free wheel on the other. Asking 200. what do you guys think?
Aug 07, 2013 @ 00:47
Hi, been wanting to buy a bike for the longest time just to get around town and probably for school too and to save gas. Went on Bikesdirect saw the windsor the hour just waiting for the other sizes to come available. Also looked around craigslist saw this one.

he said its flip hub. Dont know what the means and said that its fixed gear on one side and has a free wheel on the other. Asking 200. what do you guys think?
I have a windsor the hour. Yeah that's what a flip hub is, but the bike won't come with a free wheel cog, just a fixed one unless he bought one for his bike. Honestly, alot of people are selling their windsors for like $100 around me. Bargain with the dude. But if you do go through with that, make sure the wheels are trued and the other typical checks
Aug 07, 2013 @ 00:53

I have a windsor the hour. Yeah that's what a flip hub is, but the bike won't come with a free wheel cog, just a fixed one unless he bought one for his bike. Honestly, alot of people are selling their windsors for like $100 around me. Bargain with the dude. But if you do go through with that, make sure the wheels are trued and the other typical checks
Cool, thanks man. Appreciate it.
Aug 07, 2013 @ 17:29
If you're looking for a brand new complete bike you should check out http://citybicycleco.com/ . Free shipping in the U.S. with code: ENDLESS
Aug 07, 2013 @ 20:11
If you're looking for a brand new complete bike you should check out http://citybicycleco.com/ . Free shipping in the U.S. with code: ENDLESS
How are their bikes? Their bout the same price as the windsor which I was planning on just getting.
Aug 11, 2013 @ 04:31
Is anyone in the OC area?
Sep 04, 2013 @ 19:01

My everyday ride including Criteriums and Alleycats in The Netherlands.

hey@subform.net / www.subform.net

Sep 13, 2013 @ 07:06
level that saddle.
Sep 13, 2013 @ 07:12

not a fixed gear but its way more fun.

who else rides?
Sep 13, 2013 @ 13:48

Nice whip, I dig the crankset. Saddle angle is a little steep though. Info on wheels, specifically the rear?
Sep 20, 2013 @ 06:38

who else rides?
me. I got one like this for cheap and just added a ton of stuff. Spray painted it also. Runs great. Don't get why these herbs buy thousand dollar bikes honestly
lol thats like comparing a civic to a wrx or any other high end sport compacts.
do only herbs buy high end sport compacts?

maybe those herbs that buy thousand dollar bikes 1. are enthusiasts 2. actually ride 3. have the money to spend?
Sep 21, 2013 @ 04:13

who else rides?
OG Flite ftw, do you race at all?

Oct 07, 2013 @ 16:37
anyone in NYC down for a meet up? ride everwhere.
Oct 17, 2013 @ 03:55
Finally got a GoPro and tested out some different angles/views today.

Oct 17, 2013 @ 05:28
Finally got a GoPro and tested out some different angles/views today.

are you going to have a video up?
Oct 17, 2013 @ 08:18

I have never, in my life, edited video before. This is my first attempt to throw some footage together, and I did it really fast. I have an old computer and I was worried the program was going to crash on me at any second.

Oct 17, 2013 @ 13:23

track bike.
Oct 19, 2013 @ 03:59
That just made me happy. Very fucking nice.

http://aphganistan.tumblr.com

Oct 29, 2013 @ 03:52
Nov 02, 2013 @ 20:00

Nice whip, I dig the crankset. Saddle angle is a little steep though. Info on wheels, specifically the rear?
Thanks man,

Koga FullProTrack 56cm

Rear:
Carbon Notorious 90 Wheel
Sapim spokes (32)
Victoire HFT hub
Continental 4000S

Front:
Carbon Notorious 50 Wheel
Sapim spokes (28 )
Victoire low flange hub
Continental 4000S

Miche cog/adapter (16T)
Victoire Lockring
Sram S300 Crank with Sram Aero TT Chainring (53T)
Look Keo 2 Max pedals (not on this image, these are Time Xpresso S8 Pro)
KMC Chain

Cinelli Stem + Cinelli Mash Bullhorn (not on this image, Oval drop bar, 3T Ergonova Pro incoming)

Miche Supertype stem
Tioga Spyder Saddle

(Saddle looks steep, it's plastic; will bend when I sit on it)

Nov 12, 2013 @ 20:58
what gear ratios do you guys ride. not sure what to go for, bearing in mind I live in a REALLY hilly city.
Nov 12, 2013 @ 21:06
what gear ratios do you guys ride. not sure what to go for, bearing in mind I live in a REALLY hilly city.
my preferred street ratio is 48x17.   if you're skidding it gives you 17 skid patches.

46x17 wouldn't be a bad ratio either if you're climbing hills on the regular.
Nov 24, 2013 @ 21:22
does anyone own the unkwn lv1 frame? is it worth $150?

ig quinnandres

Dec 03, 2013 @ 15:28
does anyone own the unkwn lv1 frame? is it worth $150?
Yes! We have them in store at http://www.sir-pete.com. It's worth it. Price-quality is really good imo. PM me if you need more info!

Dec 16, 2013 @ 03:54
what's the best gear ratio for riding in the city? preferably manhattan? 
i ordered the 'windsor hour' off bikesdirect and it should come tomorrow
but the only issue is that the cog is 16t and i've read that riding 48x16 could be hard

ig quinnandres

Dec 16, 2013 @ 05:49
what's the best gear ratio for riding in the city? preferably manhattan? 
i ordered the 'windsor hour' off bikesdirect and it should come tomorrow
but the only issue is that the cog is 16t and i've read that riding 48x16 could be hard
gear ratio is highly subjective, but i'd suggest ~75 gear inches for a beginner.  it really depends on personal preference, strength, and riding style, i.e. whether you like to 'spin' at a high cadence or 'mash' a large gear.

here's a chart for reference.  81 GI isn't terribly difficult but it wouldn't be my first choice.
cogs are relatively cheap and easily replaceable. just buy an EAI cog to attain the ratio you want.
Dec 16, 2013 @ 06:01
^thanks for the quick reply my dude!
i'll check out my local bike shop for a 17t cog then if this ratio doesn't work out for me.
they should all be generally cheap right?

ig quinnandres

Please login first to reply.