Official Fixed Gear Thread

October 08, 2011 @ 20:05:41

Gavrielle HDR by Killypants, on Flickr

great angle i know...ah well. managed to overcome upgrade addiction for the duration of the summer, and haven't spent a penny on her since April. (don't even have her now that i'm back at school.)
October 09, 2011 @ 13:57:50

bitch on a visp.

so im getting that felt tk3 that drew? is selling, gonna slap some omniums on that bitch. anyone recommend any pedals/clips/straps and etc? and wheels that arent velocity deep vs? i was thinking of getting mavic open pros, but im not sure yet. gonna do some heavy city riding (40-50 miles per ride) with some shitty streets.
October 09, 2011 @ 22:23:21

Don't really know that much about bikes yet but i picked this up a few months ago. Ordered some Nitto drop bars for it today.

This post is hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

October 11, 2011 @ 06:40:01
@andy: pedals and clips i'd go with mks gr-9s (platformy pedals, comfier) and mks clips.

for straps, i'd say toshi or cadence, something laminated is a must if you're gonna want stopping power and reliability (i'm assuming you're brakeless?). cost seems kinda high at first but it's worth it in the long run; you won't have to worry about stretching/ripping or buying new straps semi-frequently.

open pros are great rims, get em 32h 3-cross and they should hold up fine. protip: if you end up getting cheap formula hubs, you can always order phil wood bearings and just swap the formula bearings out. all the butteryness of a phil hub at a fraction of the cost!
October 13, 2011 @ 05:02:31
So i "found" a mountain bike in still good condition.

What are the steps/ beginners guide to turn it into a fixed gear. I dont need to much fancy stuff i just want to make it look a little bit more cool?

EDIT: Is this even possible? It looks like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIAMOND-BACK-OUTLOOK-16-/170710828475?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item27bf2885bb
October 13, 2011 @ 05:46:47
it's possible, but at the end you are probably going to wish you just put your money to an actual fixed gear frame. also constantly pedaling on + geometry of a mountain bike like that will be extremely uncomforatble I'd imagine.

flickr.com/leavetownrightnow/

October 18, 2011 @ 06:09:39
Yo Andy, forgot to ask you man. You get your new whip in the mail yet? Post some pics of that shit.

As far as parts go, here's my two cents:
Pedals: MKS Sylvan Track
Clips: Any double strap cage, they're all pretty much the same thing
Straps: Toshi doubles
Rear wheel: deeper rim, and a nice ass hub. One of the most important parts on a track bike. OR.... somethin hyphy would be an Aerospoke. They're pretty heavy and so should be able to hang back there.
Front wheel: I'd go Open Pro. Laced to somethin light. Front wheels aren't extremely crucial

I've got feelings for this bike man. Do it up right. She deserves it
October 20, 2011 @ 21:56:01
i have a chome mini messenger for sale if anyone is interested.
October 31, 2011 @ 02:09:11
best place/site to buy a fixie?
November 06, 2011 @ 03:42:44
^craigslist
December 06, 2011 @ 01:50:38
Picked this up

December 06, 2011 @ 07:27:18
Yall dildos still ridin in this cold weather? Mashing through the fog is fucking insane
December 09, 2011 @ 04:26:48
Is there any significant difference between vertical/horizontal dropouts besides the way you put in the back wheel?

December 29, 2011 @ 23:03:18
you riders know where I can get my bike repainted instead of doing it myself? oh and any info on where to get these glow in the dark spray paint for the bike : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pX5YsU8sir4
would be dope night riding...
January 02, 2012 @ 02:29:00
I'm about to buy a saddle from a friend but I don't know which to choose. Which should I get and why? Selle San Marco Ponza or Selle Italia Flite Classic? I would love to hear your opinions, preferences and experiences before I make my choice.
January 02, 2012 @ 05:25:25
I'm about to buy a saddle from a friend but I don't know which to choose. Which should I get and why? Selle San Marco Ponza or Selle Italia Flite Classic? I would love to hear your opinions, preferences and experiences before I make my choice.

If you're buying from a friend, is there any way you can actually ride on each? Saddles are subjective so you gotta let your ass decide
January 02, 2012 @ 18:52:56
oh one more question:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/thehour.htm

I have this bike and I want to purchase a Nitto Pearl Quill stem (140mm, 26.0 diameter). is the "26.0 diameter" the bar clamp? and will it work on my bike? please help asap. thanks in advance
January 10, 2012 @ 22:33:51
The bike in your link has a threadless headset The nitto pearl stem will only work with a threaded fork and headset.

You would need to cut down your fork and get it threaded, also change your headset to a threaded headset.
January 11, 2012 @ 04:54:19
Hello all,
I am riding an older Reynolds 501 lugged Trek frame that has been repainted by me in a green and black checkerboard fade currently as a single speed. The rear drops, not extended horizontal but workable, are 126mm currently housing a 130mm freewheel with a simple conversion. Finally got it adjusted to run without a tensioner.

Anyway, I'm looking to convert this machine into something truly sexy, a fixie. I would prefer to build up the rear wheel for experience sake ans will get around to building a matching front later. I am a college student so a bit tight on fun money. I was hoping this group of experts would have recommendations for a reliable rear hub, probably 36 spoke, matte black, flip-flop if possible, bla bla bla, that won't break my budget. I've seen the AllCity stuff and was mostly wondering if there are any major alternatives/ advantages/disadvantages to them?

I ride most of the year, converting to a mountain bike when the roads get too nasty for my 23's. Most of my road riding is in town, not quite San Fran but Golden, CO has it's hills, especially headed west.

Recommendation and advisement will be most appreciated.
Thanks
March 08, 2012 @ 18:51:23
you riders know where I can get my bike repainted instead of doing it myself? oh and any info on where to get these glow in the dark spray paint for the bike : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pX5YsU8sir4
would be dope night riding...

you can get frames painted at any place that does powdercoating and auto painting usually. also the ponza feels like shit
March 08, 2012 @ 18:53:38
Is there any significant difference between vertical/horizontal dropouts besides the way you put in the back wheel?

with vertical dropouts you can't tension the chain. not ideal for fixed gear bikes

(talking about this kind of vertical dropout)
March 15, 2012 @ 14:01:42
This is my first bike. It's a total trash bag. Picked it up for $100.

I'm changing it up a bit. Bought some new brakes, levers, black tyres, flat-bar handlebars, black grips and white cables. Will look different.
March 18, 2012 @ 16:23:17
This is my first bike. It's a total trash bag. Picked it up for $100.

I'm changing it up a bit. Bought some new brakes, levers, black tyres, flat-bar handlebars, black grips and white cables. Will look different.

Keep the current bars. Drops>dildos

March 22, 2012 @ 22:18:08
Fixed Gear Bike Seats...

A a good review site for seats.

Don't badmind me.

March 26, 2012 @ 21:02:09
^lol @ anyone buying a saddle based on that site.

everyone's ass is different, a saddle that i find really comfortable could feel like sitting on a knife for someone else
March 29, 2012 @ 04:32:35
I'm trying to get into the whole fixed gear bikes, mostly for the customization options lol. I'm so overwhelmed like how do I even start? Anyone willing to teach me the ropes?

trillmurrayy.tumblr.com

March 30, 2012 @ 04:15:35

My bike pretty much how it sits now except I replaced the seatpost with a silver thomson and put randonneur on the back.
Getting h+son tb-14s soon

Uno pista njs frame (58cm st 56.5tt) - Unbranded saddle - Thomson seatpost - Hatta swan njs headset - Nitto technomic stem (100mm) - Nitto b123 njs alloy drops (40cm) - StrongV grips - Sugino 75 njs bottom bracket - Sugino 75 njs cranks (165) and chainring (48t) - Mks pedals - All city double straps and cages - Izumi gold njs chain - 32h Dura ace high flange to deep v's - 15t njs Dura ace cog
March 31, 2012 @ 17:11:23
Nice. You should probably get better clips/straps doe.

March 31, 2012 @ 22:34:30
I've never had a problem with them i'm gonna grab some silver mks double gate clips though just cause they look better to me
Please login first to reply.
x