Official Fixed Gear Thread

Jan 10, 2012 @ 22:33
The bike in your link has a threadless headset The nitto pearl stem will only work with a threaded fork and headset.

You would need to cut down your fork and get it threaded, also change your headset to a threaded headset.
Jan 11, 2012 @ 04:54
Hello all,
I am riding an older Reynolds 501 lugged Trek frame that has been repainted by me in a green and black checkerboard fade currently as a single speed. The rear drops, not extended horizontal but workable, are 126mm currently housing a 130mm freewheel with a simple conversion. Finally got it adjusted to run without a tensioner.

Anyway, I'm looking to convert this machine into something truly sexy, a fixie. I would prefer to build up the rear wheel for experience sake ans will get around to building a matching front later. I am a college student so a bit tight on fun money. I was hoping this group of experts would have recommendations for a reliable rear hub, probably 36 spoke, matte black, flip-flop if possible, bla bla bla, that won't break my budget. I've seen the AllCity stuff and was mostly wondering if there are any major alternatives/ advantages/disadvantages to them?

I ride most of the year, converting to a mountain bike when the roads get too nasty for my 23's. Most of my road riding is in town, not quite San Fran but Golden, CO has it's hills, especially headed west.

Recommendation and advisement will be most appreciated.
Thanks
Mar 08, 2012 @ 18:51
you riders know where I can get my bike repainted instead of doing it myself? oh and any info on where to get these glow in the dark spray paint for the bike : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pX5YsU8sir4
would be dope night riding...

you can get frames painted at any place that does powdercoating and auto painting usually. also the ponza feels like shit

feedback: http://hypebeast.com/forums/buyerseller-feedback/169975#3407782

Mar 08, 2012 @ 18:53
Is there any significant difference between vertical/horizontal dropouts besides the way you put in the back wheel?

with vertical dropouts you can't tension the chain. not ideal for fixed gear bikes

(talking about this kind of vertical dropout)

Mar 15, 2012 @ 14:01
This is my first bike. It's a total trash bag. Picked it up for $100.

I'm changing it up a bit. Bought some new brakes, levers, black tyres, flat-bar handlebars, black grips and white cables. Will look different.

instagram.com/careyciuro

Mar 18, 2012 @ 16:23
This is my first bike. It's a total trash bag. Picked it up for $100.

I'm changing it up a bit. Bought some new brakes, levers, black tyres, flat-bar handlebars, black grips and white cables. Will look different.

Keep the current bars. Drops>dildos

Mar 22, 2012 @ 22:18
Fixed Gear Bike Seats...

A a good review site for seats.

Don't badmind me.

Mar 26, 2012 @ 21:02
^lol @ anyone buying a saddle based on that site.

everyone's ass is different, a saddle that i find really comfortable could feel like sitting on a knife for someone else

Mar 29, 2012 @ 04:32
I'm trying to get into the whole fixed gear bikes, mostly for the customization options lol. I'm so overwhelmed like how do I even start? Anyone willing to teach me the ropes?

trillmurrayy.tumblr.com

Mar 30, 2012 @ 04:15

My bike pretty much how it sits now except I replaced the seatpost with a silver thomson and put randonneur on the back.
Getting h+son tb-14s soon

Uno pista njs frame (58cm st 56.5tt) - Unbranded saddle - Thomson seatpost - Hatta swan njs headset - Nitto technomic stem (100mm) - Nitto b123 njs alloy drops (40cm) - StrongV grips - Sugino 75 njs bottom bracket - Sugino 75 njs cranks (165) and chainring (48t) - Mks pedals - All city double straps and cages - Izumi gold njs chain - 32h Dura ace high flange to deep v's - 15t njs Dura ace cog
Mar 31, 2012 @ 17:11
Nice. You should probably get better clips/straps doe.

Mar 31, 2012 @ 22:34
I've never had a problem with them i'm gonna grab some silver mks double gate clips though just cause they look better to me
Apr 05, 2012 @ 04:03
man i loved riding around my town, but once all these hipsters/beaners heard about fixed gears and started selling that shit at wal mart made me kinda sad for the fixie culture and the dudes that have always been riding

www.headhunterla.com

Apr 09, 2012 @ 23:47
Apr 10, 2012 @ 00:48
Clean bike, but man up and go with a bigger gear dude.

http://aphganistan.tumblr.com

Apr 11, 2012 @ 19:28
What if he has a 12t cog?

Apr 12, 2012 @ 04:37
man i loved riding around my town, but once all these hipsters/beaners heard about fixed gears and started selling that shit at wal mart made me kinda sad for the fixie culture and the dudes that have always been riding

word finna cop a 12 speed now

lol jk

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

Apr 20, 2012 @ 09:06
new front wheel since my other wheel's hub took a shit on me. dunno if i like the chrome spokes but it was cheap so w/e.

http://instagram.com/qyel

Apr 22, 2012 @ 06:58
My beater.

Apr 22, 2012 @ 07:22
makes me miss my 650 spin trispoke T_T

what crank you got on there?

http://instagram.com/qyel

Apr 22, 2012 @ 16:21
Looks like eighthinch to me.

Apr 23, 2012 @ 09:27

fixies have always been for fags/honkeys in capris so don't feel too bad.
Apr 24, 2012 @ 02:56
ouu didnt even know there was a fixed gear thread, anyone wanna trade me a sugino 75 crankset for some supreme camps?
Apr 25, 2012 @ 04:54
Originally posted by Inactive User
makes me miss my 650 spin trispoke T_T

what crank you got on there?
Looks like eighthinch to me.

Yeah, yeah, it's a cheap Eighthinch. I didn't want to invest much money into this bike. Got a more important build I'm saving up for.

Apr 27, 2012 @ 06:06
Whats up guys, thought you guys would enjoy our release video, we're heavily involved in the LA fixed gear/road bike scene, check it out. Riders are on Cinelli's, Fuji's, Bianchi's, Specialized, etc., etc..

HEAVYSET

WeAreHeavyset.com | O.S.O.S.

Apr 27, 2012 @ 14:46
^^^^

That's a sweet video.

Okay, question for everyone in here.
Am I the only one who hates how fixed gears have become the new BMX? Like, watching the MASH dvd 5 years ago is what got me into riding. Just watching them fly down hills super fast and skidding seemed super fun. Not to mention the sleek/minimal look of the bikes were super attractive. Even all the "trick" stuff in Macaframa was pretty sweet. But now everyone's slapping pegs, bmx bars, fat fucking tires, and lowering the seat and it's just fucking dumb. Idk, maybe it's just me, but I prefer to just ride my bike. Go fast as fuck. Commute. Even doing tricks on a more conventional track bike, like Keo Curry, is pretty sweet. But this new style of fixed gear riding is for the birds.

Apr 28, 2012 @ 00:39
^^^^

That's a sweet video.

Okay, question for everyone in here.
Am I the only one who hates how fixed gears have become the new BMX? Like, watching the MASH dvd 5 years ago is what got me into riding. Just watching them fly down hills super fast and skidding seemed super fun. Not to mention the sleek/minimal look of the bikes were super attractive. Even all the "trick" stuff in Macaframa was pretty sweet. But now everyone's slapping pegs, bmx bars, fat fucking tires, and lowering the seat and it's just fucking dumb. Idk, maybe it's just me, but I prefer to just ride my bike. Go fast as fuck. Commute. Even doing tricks on a more conventional track bike, like Keo Curry, is pretty sweet. But this new style of fixed gear riding is for the birds.

then just 'ride your bike'.
freestyling on fixies is so fucking dope
http://vimeo.com/40974390
Apr 28, 2012 @ 00:48
FGFS is cool, i was into that when it got popular like two or three years ago when leader and volume were just getting into it. I moved to BMX after a while though cause it just seemed more natural at the time, but I'm stoked to see how much FGFS developed. I still prefer speeding on my track bike over tricks though, to each his own.

flickr.com/leavetownrightnow/

Apr 29, 2012 @ 23:02
I don't like fgfs at all, but I hate the keo curry/macaframa version of it even more just because campy shamals getting slammed into the ground isn't pretty. (and this is also why there are so many broken pista concepts/leader 725s or any other aluminum frame)

May 01, 2012 @ 02:43
Any Single Speeders on here? Converting My Raleigh Super Record to a SS, so i'll be adding 700c wheels. Any suggestions for brakes that'll reach?
Please login first to reply.
HYPECHAT 0