Official Fixed Gear Thread

July 10, 2011 @ 13:38:55
I just came up on a Campania (sport?) from what I've been able to find it was a late 70s early 80s company. The parts were made in Japan and assembled in Socal. They were meh bikes, really just Italian knockoffs. I don't really know anything about bikes but everything on this one appears original and it seems to be in ok condition. Right know I don't know if it would be worth a modest upgrade, or if I should convert it.

Here's mine

Here's a better picture of another one

July 13, 2011 @ 15:18:32
im interested in getting a fixie/single speed to ride.

i'm completely new and don't know where to start.

i've checked out those sites where you build you own custom fixie with the colors and everyhing for like 395.

are those any good? interested in just casual riding around the city
July 13, 2011 @ 16:59:54
Finally got around to installing my Dura-Ace crankset. Decided to go with a Sugino Zen 50t chain ring. The ratio is a little tough right now but once I get my legs in enough shape I'll be mashin on all you mothafuckas
July 14, 2011 @ 17:55:31
Help
im interested in getting a fixie/single speed to ride.

i'm completely new and don't know where to start.

i've checked out those sites where you build you own custom fixie with the colors and everyhing for like 395.

are those any good? interested in just casual riding around the city

I'll help you out. What is your budget? Do you want fixed gear or single speed? The difference is with a fixed gear, you always have to peddle, you cannot peddle then coast. A single speed gives you the look of a fixed gear, but you can coast.
July 14, 2011 @ 19:01:33
Yeah, I've read a bit. I feel like I want the ability to do both, and from my knowledge I would need a flip hub or something like that. The custom bike builders online have those, according to the descriptions.

One of the many "build your own" sites http://www.bigshotbikes.com/index.html

My budget is under 450, the cheaper the better.
July 16, 2011 @ 14:46:20
Yeah, I've read a bit. I feel like I want the ability to do both, and from my knowledge I would need a flip hub or something like that. The custom bike builders online have those, according to the descriptions.

those look shitty. just buy a kilo tt for like $95 less and then upgrade parts
July 16, 2011 @ 17:17:24
Yeah if you don't wanna spend stupid dough hit up bikesdirect... complete setup for like 300 shipped
July 16, 2011 @ 20:25:51

Those are shitty bikes.

I would go with the bikesdirect route. Cop a Windsor or Kilo TT and upgrade parts as you slowly get more invested in biking.
July 19, 2011 @ 01:36:33
just use craigslist
July 19, 2011 @ 02:12:15
Those are shitty bikes.

I would go with the bikesdirect route. Cop a Windsor or Kilo TT and upgrade parts as you slowly get more invested in biking.

Would it be expensive to get matching parts/colors like those custom build bikes? That's my main concern when buying bikes and upgrading them part by part
July 19, 2011 @ 02:45:57
Would it be expensive to get matching parts/colors like those custom build bikes? That's my main concern when buying bikes and upgrading them part by part

yeah, you would end up spending a lot if you changed everything out. but you would also have spare parts.

tbh, it sounds like you would rather have a shitty bike with the color combination you want rather than a decent bike in a color you semi like. if that's the case, get the shitty bike and if things start breaking on em, you can replace those parts.
July 21, 2011 @ 05:09:20
Fuji Track Pro build on the way blushing
July 21, 2011 @ 13:38:25

Inactive User

Fuji Track Pro build on the way blushing

Nice. Hopefully you took advantage of that deal and got a good version. I ended up selling mine off.

Cleaned up my PSV-10

July 21, 2011 @ 16:29:23
^Getting it from citygrounds frameset on sale for 450 right now! idk what wheelset to get so I'm just gonna get something eh and then get a custom one later on; clean bike btw.
July 21, 2011 @ 20:39:41
Originally posted by Inactive User
yeah, you would end up spending a lot if you changed everything out. but you would also have spare parts.

tbh, it sounds like you would rather have a shitty bike with the color combination you want rather than a decent bike in a color you semi like. if that's the case, get the shitty bike and if things start breaking on em, you can replace those parts.

qft.
July 21, 2011 @ 20:42:14
^ He's right though
July 21, 2011 @ 20:42:56
My setup~

I heard spoke cards make you go faster...
July 21, 2011 @ 22:45:53
Woo, i'm trying to pick up a new fixed gear in the bay area.
56cm.

I'm looking for a pista concept or something nice.
July 22, 2011 @ 16:10:04
My homie is about to buy a Pista Concept off of one of the dudes in Macaframa. Once he does, I'm gonna cop his month-ridden 2005 Specialized S-Works Langster. One of the sexiest frames I've ever seen.
July 22, 2011 @ 18:13:34
does anyone know the length of the bottom bracket in fuji track pro??? Saw a deal for some sram omnium gxb with bb for -$200
July 24, 2011 @ 15:32:43
Can anyone ID this front wheel? It's fucking hyphy

July 24, 2011 @ 22:04:02
alright so i know almost nothing about fixed gear bikes but i want to get into it for fitness somewhat and just to ride around.

can anyone point me in the right direction as to what sites/stores i should be checking out and what parts would be the best for my budget? im planning to spend around 500 total. also, i dont plan on using craigslist until i know what im looking at lol,
July 24, 2011 @ 23:34:23
July 24, 2011 @ 23:43:48
^ good site.

Never rode a fixie then a bought a kilo TT white stripper from craigslist for 210. No brakes :D One of the greatest purchase in my life.
I use it bike around, commute, and exercise. Its not really good for tricking, the wheel will hit your toe if you turn to far and you will fall, but its light enough for me to lift it up with 2 fingers.

500 is enough. Buy a good frame with average parts then spend money on parts as you research, experience, and grow.
July 24, 2011 @ 23:49:54

thanks. like i said before though, i have no idea what i should be looking at or what is best for me. would it be safe to say that any of the bikes in that link would be a good purchase for me?
July 25, 2011 @ 01:19:03
thanks. like i said before though, i have no idea what i should be looking at or what is best for me. would it be safe to say that any of the bikes in that link would be a good purchase for me?

Kilo tt are usually sold out, you could wait or get the windsor The Hour which is very similar to the kilo tt and its cheaper.

Ive been hearing the kilo tt Pro is a good bang for your bucks as it comes with nicer parts but I have never tried it but I wish I can.

The only con I can say is that when you turn the wheel too much, it'll hit your toe and you will fall. I got use to it though, its not that bad. Its a track frame which means tighter geometry, go figure.

I was just like you 3 months ago. Just do some research on the bikes you hear, you'll read hypes about the kilo tt, iono why but I love my bike
July 25, 2011 @ 01:38:27
most importantly; make sure you get the right size!
July 25, 2011 @ 13:55:41
^alright, thanks for the tips bros. im about to leave to a bike shop to ask what i should be looking and how to size on bikes. hopefully they dont bullshit me into trying to buy some of their shit.

edit: also, is there a way to tell how i should be sizing on bikes? im around 5'6 and people have told me that im either a 50cm or 51cm.
July 25, 2011 @ 21:06:35
^alright, thanks for the tips bros. im about to leave to a bike shop to ask what i should be looking and how to size on bikes. hopefully they dont bullshit me into trying to buy some of their shit.

edit: also, is there a way to tell how i should be sizing on bikes? im around 5'6 and people have told me that im either a 50cm or 51cm.

Just make sure you have 1-2 inch stand over clearance so you dont smash you balls
July 25, 2011 @ 22:01:27
Nah that's too much. I'd say like a half inch
Please login first to reply.
x