Official Fixed Gear Thread

Apr 25, 2011 @ 00:48
Originally posted by Inactive User
So Ive been riding just a cheap road bike conversion for about a year or so. I was thinking about asking for a new bike for graduation. How do you guys feel about Bianchi Pistas? Ive heard mixed things about the more recent models but mostly good overall about the brand and quality. Ideally i would like to get a Pista and an aerospoke smokeyface smokeyface

tongueface cheap steal frame with road drop outs ---> cheap steal frame with track drop outs. On top of that you want to add a $300 anchor and call it a front wheel. Go for it, brah, though it makes no sense at all I'm sure your street cred will go through the roof. Don't forget to learn some sweet fixie tricks though..........
Apr 25, 2011 @ 21:49
i sense sarcasm, i was asking a sincere question man. And are Aerospokes really that heavy?
Apr 25, 2011 @ 22:41
Planning on picking up a bike of my own soon, I've been messing with my friends lately and its been saving me a shit load of money from gas..

Hows kilo tt?
Apr 26, 2011 @ 04:34
i sense sarcasm, i was asking a sincere question man. And are Aerospokes really that heavy?

i had a front aerospoke and it weighed so fuckign much like as much as a heavy WHEELSET (deep vs etc)
Apr 26, 2011 @ 17:55
Answer

Yes, Aerospokes are really heavy and are just a fashion statement. You are better off with either carbon wheels (If you can afford them.) or regular 700c wheels.
Apr 26, 2011 @ 17:57
Opinion
Planning on picking up a bike of my own soon, I've been messing with my friends lately and its been saving me a shit load of money from gas..

Hows kilo tt?

It's a great bike. Good frame, decent parts. You get what you pay for.
I've been riding my 2009 Kilo TT for a year now and I love it.
However, once you get it, you'll have the desire to add better parts.
Apr 26, 2011 @ 20:06
going to cop a kilo tt, i want to replace the pedals, and handle bars (flat), anyone have suggestions? not looking to spend much.
Apr 27, 2011 @ 12:53

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

Apr 28, 2011 @ 14:18

yeah Aerospokes blow, if you have money like that to toss at an ugly front wheel, go for some nice rims instead
Apr 28, 2011 @ 22:50
aerospokes are like three pounds each. plus they look like bmx mag wheels.

hell i'd rather have a magwheel and save my money

feedback: http://hypebeast.com/forums/buyerseller-feedback/169975#3407782

Apr 29, 2011 @ 23:53
Thinking of switching to ynot straps; anyone have experience or preference? Tired of cages/straps. (currently riding with soma doubles and origin8 straps)
May 01, 2011 @ 17:12
new tires and a nice oiling today :D
May 02, 2011 @ 23:34
while we're on the topic of wheels what are a decent of wheels? (beyond DP's, deep v's, etc.)
May 03, 2011 @ 02:57
while we're on the topic of wheels what are a decent of wheels? (beyond DP's, deep v's, etc.)

depends what you want? if you're looking better than deep v's you're probably going to be building the wheelset. I have a set of profile hubs that I absolutely love (now on my brothers eighthinch) laced to deep v's but if you are looking for something even nicer but still rideable on the street I'd point you in the direction of Mavic's. Either open pro's or MA40's but H+Sons are nice as well. As for hubs I'd go with Phil Woods, Dura Ace, Profile or GranCompe
May 06, 2011 @ 00:28
I'm working on getting a new headset/handlebars. I love my fixed gear.

Such a great experience riding with no brakes and all.

quincybanks.bandcamp.com | quincybanks.tumblr.com | instagram.com/quincybanks | twitter.com/QQuincyBanks | soundcloud.com/quincybanks

May 06, 2011 @ 17:10
hey folks, I have a question about the best pedals/cages/straps for my recent build. I've been riding on platforms but need to switch to something with more resistance for braking. any suggestions?
May 06, 2011 @ 17:53
I moved up my seat about an inch and a half. Wow, much better experience and I think i have way more control of the bike. Track stands are 10 times easier and before when I wore jeans they almost wanted to ride up haha.

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

May 11, 2011 @ 03:45
I was thinking of some track attacks or H + son eero's laced to phil woods
May 12, 2011 @ 13:53
I was thinking of some track attacks or H + son eero's laced to phil woods

the latter of the two would be far better
May 14, 2011 @ 04:31
hey folks, I have a question about the best pedals/cages/straps for my recent build. I've been riding on platforms but need to switch to something with more resistance for braking. any suggestions?

I have Origin8 metal clips and their double straps. Works perfectly fine for me.
May 14, 2011 @ 05:50
good job + rep
May 19, 2011 @ 18:17
Made myself some straps!

My setup~
May 19, 2011 @ 22:15
Clipless>

Step yo game up ♥♥♥♥♥♥s
May 20, 2011 @ 02:15
too bad GOrilla is GONE! smh

May 20, 2011 @ 03:14
[QUOTE='Tommy [F4F];3008919']too bad GOrilla is GONE! smh

good news. they ain't.
http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2011/04/gorilla_branding_evolution.php
May 20, 2011 @ 03:16
[QUOTE='Tommy [F4F];3008919']too bad GOrilla is GONE! smh

good news. they ain't.
http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2011/04/gorilla_branding_evolution.php
May 20, 2011 @ 03:20
whoa i havent been on prolly for awhile now and this is what i missed?!...good lookin out smokeyface
May 21, 2011 @ 14:46
Clipless>

Step yo game up ♥♥♥♥♥♥s

not even necessary. I'm usually riding somewhere then hanging out, and I'd rather be in normal shoes for that.
May 21, 2011 @ 20:53
i still dont understand the whole hype behind these.its a bike that only has one gear.so whats the big deal?
May 21, 2011 @ 23:41
Answer
i still dont understand the whole hype behind these.its a bike that only has one gear.so whats the big deal?

I've been into fixed gear bikes for a while now and actually started riding one about a year ago. From what I have heard along with my own experience, the hype comes from their simplicity, their ability to be customized and accessorized, the attainable speed, and maneuverability(They ride completely different than multiple-geared bikes.), but most people start riding because of others.
Please login first to reply.
HYPECHAT 0