Official Fixed Gear Thread

October 21, 2010 @ 16:29:46
For the rear b43, it's double butted spokes laced to a fixed/fixed Phil hub.
Mainly trying to trade that out for a lower profile rim laced to a double fixed Phil as well.

But make an offer for that.

For the SPIN...

$300. Includes a new tube and a like new Vittoria Rubino.

+ shipping, of course.

blinkyeyes 300 for the spin?? it's a 26" right?
October 22, 2010 @ 16:41:08
haven't checked this thread out since i got my bike, how are you socal heads liking the chilly weather?

just on a little ride before work with some friends, embraced every degree of the 70 and breezy valley weather smokeyface
October 22, 2010 @ 17:55:43
haven't checked this thread out since i got my bike, how are you socal heads liking the chilly weather?

just on a little ride before work with some friends, embraced every degree of the 70 and breezy valley weather smokeyface

Definitely loving the weather, but my bike tube has been flat for a while and don't seem to have the time to fix it.
October 23, 2010 @ 02:33:49
Julian, you trick or naww? Whatchu riding right now?

Not really, just the occasional barspin or whatever.
I've got a Pista, but i never ride anymore.

julianxberman.tumblr.com /

October 23, 2010 @ 02:41:00
Why not mannn?
October 23, 2010 @ 18:38:59
you guys realize there is no benefit of a deep rim over a box rim right? of course a deep rim is more solid than a stock wheel, but if your going to get wheel built box rims are more sturdy and light
October 23, 2010 @ 18:44:25
getting high and biking in the cold weather is smokeyface
October 23, 2010 @ 22:51:18
getting high and biking in the cold weather is smokeyface

lol i dont even ride with headphones.

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

October 24, 2010 @ 11:46:57
you guys realize there is no benefit of a deep rim over a box rim right? of course a deep rim is more solid than a stock wheel, but if your going to get wheel built box rims are more sturdy and light

Shorter spoke length = Strength. Can't beat me.

Deep rims are all about aesthetic. Simple as that. Plus they come in a shit ton of colors, so that's the appeal of them. Mixing and matching.

If low profiled rims came in several colors, people would buy instantly. The colors that they're made in, are only appealing to a few. I do love some hard ano. But I haven't tried tracking down a mis-matched set that I need (32/36hole.)
October 24, 2010 @ 16:24:44
They do come in lots of colors but they do not appeal to anyone.
October 24, 2010 @ 16:32:07
cf deep wheels have a purpose.
October 25, 2010 @ 12:51:46
still no roadie thread so here's an update on my '73 Viscount
October 25, 2010 @ 20:53:37
If youre gonna ride a road bike at least have the brakes on the drops
October 25, 2010 @ 20:54:14
They do come in lots of colors but they do not appeal to anyone.

Right. That's why people buy em. Right. Cool.
October 25, 2010 @ 22:53:33
can anyone refer me to a brand that sells a insulated light shell like this Ralpha one, preferrably cheaper?
October 26, 2010 @ 13:02:51
If youre gonna ride a road bike at least have the brakes on the drops

i purposely took the brakes off the drops, but thanks for the input
October 26, 2010 @ 13:27:00
cf deep wheels have a purpose.

obviously we are not talking about these. And if someone was to ride this on the street they would be stupider than riding b43s
October 26, 2010 @ 13:27:50
still no roadie thread so here's an update on my '73 Viscount

take off that u lock holster, get brifters, get a new saddle/tape. then itll be cool
October 26, 2010 @ 13:45:43
obviously we are not talking about these. And if someone was to ride this on the street they would be stupider than riding b43s

you made a general statement that deep wheels have no purpose. Zipps and other deep cf wheels aren't that bad unless you're riding in the city. Why is riding with a set of cf wheels dumb? There isn't anything that makes a cf hoop weaker than a aluminum one.

The only thing that makes b43s/h+son's/deep v's useless is how much they weigh.
October 27, 2010 @ 19:26:38
can anyone refer me to a brand that sells a insulated light shell like this Ralpha one, preferrably cheaper?

No clue but the H and M wind breakers are pretty good. Went riding the other day in very cool temperatures and got home sweating. I was just wearing a t shirt under. Pretty good for 30 bucks.

October 27, 2010 @ 20:42:50
i need a new crankset and fork for my mercier kilo tt smh any ideas on what to get?
October 27, 2010 @ 21:32:01
if you get pake, don't go riding without tightening your chainring bolts first. suppose that's true for any crankset though
October 27, 2010 @ 22:06:07

Since you're probably an LA kid who thinks he's dope cuz he's got NJS and shit, I'll end any further talk/debate with you, for everyone...

1) You're only reasoning for disliking Deep Vs or B43s, is because you got the cool tip that box rims are cool, and deep Velocity rims are for herbs.
2) If you want to bring weight into things...

- Weight matters nothing when you're riding a bike in the streets. Why?
1) Wind resistance.
2) Tire drag.
3) Surface conditions.
4) Uneven leveling for the streets.
5) It's a fuckin track bike on the streets. It's already redundant.

3)You can't say they're weak, because every single rim/wheel has been broken. Whether it was on the street or track. There's no completely bomb proof wheel/rim.

What would be a pretty fuckin "bombproof" wheel?

A rear Chub Hub with Sapim or Phil Wood spokes laced to a B43 with brass nipples. Why?

Already, the hardware is tough. But together, shit's a tough combo. Break that combo.

And there's nothing stupider than riding a SPRINT TRACK frame on the streets. There's no way getting around that one. Should've bought a "regular" track frame, instead of a sprinting frame. Your setback Thomson ain't helping shit.

BOOM HEADSHOT.

Stop feeding the troll now.
October 27, 2010 @ 22:18:20
Got my show lace tangled in my pedal today.

Wow, very scary feeling.

October 27, 2010 @ 23:32:43
Got my show lace tangled in my pedal today.

Wow, very scary feeling.

Definitely. It's happened to me twice. I'm glad I wasn't mashing down a street, just cruising. I tuck my shoe laces in my shoe now when riding.
October 28, 2010 @ 00:40:51
Since you're probably an LA kid who thinks he's dope cuz he's got NJS and shit, I'll end any further talk/debate with you, for everyone...

1) You're only reasoning for disliking Deep Vs or B43s, is because you got the cool tip that box rims are cool, and deep Velocity rims are for herbs.
2) If you want to bring weight into things...

- Weight matters nothing when you're riding a bike in the streets. Why?
1) Wind resistance.
2) Tire drag.
3) Surface conditions.
4) Uneven leveling for the streets.
5) It's a fuckin track bike on the streets. It's already redundant.

3)You can't say they're weak, because every single rim/wheel has been broken. Whether it was on the street or track. There's no completely bomb proof wheel/rim.

What would be a pretty fuckin "bombproof" wheel?

A rear Chub Hub with Sapim or Phil Wood spokes laced to a B43 with brass nipples. Why?

Already, the hardware is tough. But together, shit's a tough combo. Break that combo.

And there's nothing stupider than riding a SPRINT TRACK frame on the streets. There's no way getting around that one. Should've bought a "regular" track frame, instead of a sprinting frame. Your setback Thomson ain't helping shit.

BOOM HEADSHOT.

Stop feeding the troll now.

to respond to you, first off no i do not live in LA. Second off no i dont think i am cool because i have njs, i do not really have anything that is njs. Next up yes weight does matter on a bike no matter what. Oh you think i meant because its slowing me down from running red light on the streets? No. weight matter when i have to carry my bike up four flights of stairs to get to my apartment, or when i am using it every day for work. The last thing i want is a heavy bike. Obviously there is no "cool tip" going around box rims are cool, then why wouldnt everyone be riding them like you say? its just pointless to sacrifice looks over performance. That can be said about everything and it is. ANd of course everything has been broken. I don't even understand why you said that, or what it has to do with anything. Finally, like you said riding a track bike on the streets is stupid enough, who care if i have a sprint track frame? (which i do not) Are we all trying to pretend we ride for days on our track bikes? i sure don't thats what my road bike is for. That is no head shot you said it your self, riding a track bike on the street is silly, so who cares what kind of track bike it is, they are all silly. Also maybe you should learn more about why people use a thomson set back post, it does not have to do with trying to fix a bikes geometry.

I will agree to disagree with you, there is not point in trying to post to make your self sound smart.
October 28, 2010 @ 00:41:52
i need a new crankset and fork for my mercier kilo tt smh any ideas on what to get?

omniums. messengers/pake/origin 8/ ect. are all the same and really are not good cranks.
October 28, 2010 @ 08:50:59
just bought a bike. I got it for $500 its just a conversion though. Is that a good deal for a conversion? it has road bike cranks and stock kilo wheels and no name chopped bars and nylon straps

high performance bike right here.

I used to ride my bike 300+ miles a week on cf rims. I hit a dog and they still spin true.
October 28, 2010 @ 13:27:42
According to Stuntastic14, since your from LA you you suck at bikes smh
October 28, 2010 @ 15:09:17
Definitely. It's happened to me twice. I'm glad I wasn't mashing down a street, just cruising. I tuck my shoe laces in my shoe now when riding.

I was about to head down a hill when i noticed my shoe getting tighter and tighter till eventually my foot was stuck to the pedal. I had to practually half-jump off and walk the bike to the sidewalk with my foot still attached to the pedal. Basically i was hopping on one leg carrying the bike to the sidewalk. It was scary as fuck....If this happened a minute later I dont know where id be right now.

Please login first to reply.
x