Enjoy an Additional 10% Off on All Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA10
November 16, 2010 @ 03:06 PM
araw at bituin

I don't plan to do business there now anyhow. They don't have enough of a selection in the first place, so it's hard for me to believe I'd really be getting the best bike to start off with when they only stock 5 or 6 road bikes (not 5 or 6 brands, just 5-6 bikes).

I'll have to spend some time looking into it. I was looking at Trek bikes last night, but a nice road bike from them is definitely going to be a big investment.

Is there a road bike thread? or enough people here to start one? I don't want to take over the fixed gear thread with my questions unless you guys don't care.

5-6 road bikes?? o_O

why don't you look at cannondales? i've ridden a few and they seem nice. seen some on craigsist for <500 too

http://instagram.com/qyel

November 16, 2010 @ 04:24 PM
babyshoe

upgrading parts on a roadie is alot different than on a track bike. I would buy whatever the entry level bike is with the better group on it. low end shimano is trash, ultegra isn't bad. I like sram, my next bike is going to be sram force with sram red cranks. I'm either getting a look or a cervelo. Can't decide which one I like more.

oh yeah btw:

November 16, 2010 @ 05:45 PM
BomberPro

Still for some one who wants to get into biking, there is no need to spend $900 for a perfectly fine bike. And low end shimano is no SRAM but it isn't trash either.
November 16, 2010 @ 06:30 PM
babyshoe

Buying a 500 dollar roadie off of CL is good only if the bike is perfect. If it needs a tune up and he needs to get shorter cranks/stem/tires thats almost the difference in price right there. Plus if he actually wants to ride long distances, he'll need to get fit as well. They usually throw a basic fit in if you buy the bike from them.
November 16, 2010 @ 07:03 PM
jaded

There's another bike shop in town that I found out about that looks to have a much larger selection based on their website. I may go down there tomorrow and see if they have a better staff than the last place.

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

November 18, 2010 @ 12:16 AM
BomberPro

Buying a 500 dollar roadie off of CL is good only if the bike is perfect. If it needs a tune up and he needs to get shorter cranks/stem/tires thats almost the difference in price right there. Plus if he actually wants to ride long distances, he'll need to get fit as well. They usually throw a basic fit in if you buy the bike from them.

Hes not a fucking triathlon competitor. He can go to a bike shop to find out his size. Find bikes in that size on craigslist then go test ride them. For $500 he obviously wont buy a bike that has any major problems like broken parts/not shifiting/ect. New tires? Very cheap easy fix. I dont think he will even feel the difference in crank length at all, unless he starts racing the day after buying a first road bike. Hardly makes the price difference at all.
November 18, 2010 @ 07:54 AM
babyshoe

Did I say anything about triathlons you fucking troll? No I didn't. There you go bringing up irrelevant things again.

He still needs to buy a bike that fits. I guess when you ride a piece of shit bike like a bomberpro you think the only factor in a bike fitting is what size it is. Last time I checked, there were a few more factors. I'm guessing you've never rode a bike more than 15 blocks away from your house.

Plus he doesn't know much about bikes and problems with bikes with gears aren't glaringly obviously like it is on a track bike. My only point is that all the money he saves by buying someone else's old bike he could just get a new bike to begin with. Is it uncool to buy things new now?

on a totally different note, my buddy just picked this bike up. I'm jealous. DA groupo

November 18, 2010 @ 07:02 PM
Ryon

Thats a nice De Rosa up there, I really wish I had the cash to invest in a road bike for myself. Ive been using my mothers '83 Trek, still in great shape, I just wish i had my own.
November 18, 2010 @ 09:59 PM
BomberPro

Did I say anything about triathlons you fucking troll? No I didn't. There you go bringing up irrelevant things again.

He still needs to buy a bike that fits. I guess when you ride a piece of shit bike like a bomberpro you think the only factor in a bike fitting is what size it is. Last time I checked, there were a few more factors. I'm guessing you've never rode a bike more than 15 blocks away from your house.

Plus he doesn't know much about bikes and problems with bikes with gears aren't glaringly obviously like it is on a track bike. My only point is that all the money he saves by buying someone else's old bike he could just get a new bike to begin with. Is it uncool to buy things new now?

on a totally different note, my buddy just picked this bike up. I'm jealous. DA groupo

Don't start saying i'm bringing up irrelevant things then say stupid shit like is buying new things is uncool? I just think saving money on things is cool. Especially when someone is looking for a first road bike, they don't need to spend much money to do so.

Also i see you talk about fit. Did you read my post? I said he can go to a bike store to find his proper fit. Thats what most people do when they are first buying a bike. Get your size their. Once you find a bike in the correct size, when you go looking for a used bike you know what you are doing. Then you go test it out to check to see how it fits, such as stem length, cranks, ect. Not a hard concept. No need to be an elitist who overpays for new things.

What bike do you ride? What is it compared to my bomberpro piece of shit? And i don't know why you are judging me on how far i ride my bike. What does that have to do with this argument? Stick to stating facts man, don't start insulting me in order to make your point more valid. I'm not saying you know nothing about bikes or that you only ride 10 blocks or what ever. That just makes you look dumb.
November 24, 2010 @ 05:49 PM
Ma Duce

lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

November 24, 2010 @ 10:58 PM
Koven

It looks gay with the seat so low

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

November 25, 2010 @ 01:40 AM
leprechaunupindatree

feedback: http://hypebeast.com/forums/buyerseller-feedback/169975#3407782

November 25, 2010 @ 12:52 PM
babyshoe

Don't start saying i'm bringing up irrelevant things then say stupid shit like is buying new things is uncool? I just think saving money on things is cool. Especially when someone is looking for a first road bike, they don't need to spend much money to do so.

My main point was unless he knows what he is doing or finds a steal, he is going to end up spending extra money getting the bike right. Maybe its just me, but I'd rather spend the money up front then worry after I started to ride the bike.

Also i see you talk about fit. Did you read my post? I said he can go to a bike store to find his proper fit. Thats what most people do when they are first buying a bike. Get your size their. Once you find a bike in the correct size, when you go looking for a used bike you know what you are doing. Then you go test it out to check to see how it fits, such as stem length, cranks, ect. Not a hard concept. No need to be an elitist who overpays for new things.

You do realize that parts get adjusted so you can ride long distances, right? People spend hundreds of dollars getting pros to do it for them. Not really necessary on a track bike since they aren't designed to be ridden long distances. No an amateur doesn't need a pro fit but getting a decent fitting bike makes a world of difference.

What bike do you ride? What is it compared to my bomberpro piece of shit? And i don't know why you are judging me on how far i ride my bike. What does that have to do with this argument? Stick to stating facts man, don't start insulting me in order to make your point more valid. I'm not saying you know nothing about bikes or that you only ride 10 blocks or what ever. That just makes you look dumb.

Umm you trolled this thread... twice saying hey guys I got a conversion. Interesting how I look dumb.

Btw tell me how my wheelset is stupid.

(this is justification for me saying I think I can call your bike a piece)
November 29, 2010 @ 11:03 AM
Ma Duce

got doored this friday going like 15-20 mph. already filed a claim with geico

November 29, 2010 @ 12:24 PM
hools

ouch
November 29, 2010 @ 04:21 PM
Idrum

damn man i had no idea how fucked your frame was... hopefully insurance comes through
November 29, 2010 @ 10:39 PM
Ma Duce

yeah dude. my frame is fucked. shit slants sideways when i take my hands off the bars now. spoke with the claim adjuster this morning..they're still trying to contact the driver. hope they pay out handsomely

-update-
just got off the phone with the geico rep again and they ruled in my favor! they're going to have someone contact me for an appraisal. austin is a fairly densely populated bike area and i've heard my friends getting 1200-1800 from the insurance companies. i really hope that's true.

-update2-
geico claim adjuster took my bike this morning and wrote me a check for $1700 cool

decided to build this pake up:

with:
- white b43 wheelset
- chris king threaded headset
- nitto pearl njs quill stem
- nitto rb-021 bars
- 46T sugino zen w/ S75 cranks
- 17T cog
- MKS sylvan pedals
- soma double-gated clips/straps
- random seatpost/saddle

December 1, 2010 @ 11:44 AM
Ma Duce

yeah dude. my frame is fucked. shit slants sideways when i take my hands off the bars now. spoke with the claim adjuster this morning..they're still trying to contact the driver. hope they pay out handsomely

-update-
just got off the phone with the geico rep again and they ruled in my favor! they're going to have someone contact me for an appraisal. austin is a fairly densely populated bike area and i've heard my friends getting 1200-1800 from the insurance companies. i really hope that's true.

-update2-
geico claim adjuster took my bike this morning and wrote me a check for $1700 cool

probably getting this:

slapping some white B43s and nitto rb-021s on there for starters..and stripping the brakes, of course.

December 1, 2010 @ 08:38 PM
leprechaunupindatree

^ might want to add a fork to that list.

feedback: http://hypebeast.com/forums/buyerseller-feedback/169975#3407782

December 1, 2010 @ 09:13 PM
Ma Duce

der and bb

December 1, 2010 @ 10:23 PM
Ryon

Looks good Bass
December 3, 2010 @ 12:34 AM
plan b.

Anybody got any suggestions for a good single speed commuter?
December 3, 2010 @ 02:00 AM
whoRichard?

SMH at Geico, good shit Duce on the $1700 check cool. If I may ask, of all frames, why'd you choose the Pake?
December 3, 2010 @ 12:08 PM
Ma Duce

thanks breh. just chose the pake cuz it was cheap ($260 w/the fork). idk what i want anymore though lmao. might go njs frame

December 3, 2010 @ 06:13 PM
Suraj

thanks breh. just chose the pake cuz it was cheap ($260 w/the fork). idk what i want anymore though lmao. might go njs frame

You should go with a Bianchi Pista frame.
December 3, 2010 @ 10:45 PM
Ryon

If youre just gonna ride around town, dont go anymore than about a grand for a frame. I think entirely you shouldnt exceed $2000 for a bike that youre not gonna ride more than 100 miles a week.
December 3, 2010 @ 10:47 PM
Ma Duce

December 4, 2010 @ 01:10 AM
whoRichard?

Got some new shit for the whipppp

For you tricksters, ODI's >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Animal Edwins IMo

December 5, 2010 @ 11:56 PM
CⒶM

been thinking about the new fbm sword

Not with a bang but a whimper

December 6, 2010 @ 06:23 AM
Legionnaire

if the pakes headtube is 1" you should opt out

Please login first to reply.