June 5, 2007 @ 07:55 PM
JayNav

I was reading on espn.com about this subject, I think its a pretty clear cut pick who the best defensive player is. I just saw that there was a few good arguments made for other players in the comments section. So who do you guys think is the best defensive player in the NFL?

I personally have to go with Champ Bailey, I mean the broncos never have to worry about the opposing teams #1 reciever. I mean to not even have to gameplan for guys like Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison, T.O., and all the others is crazy. There was a comment I thought was hilarious on espn.com to... "2/3 of the world is covered by water, the other third is covered by Champ Bailey"! Dude, can sit down and have a picnic if he wanted, they don't even throw his way.
June 5, 2007 @ 10:56 PM
dash

how bout merriman?led the league in sacks and missed 4 games due to suspension.couldve possibly broke the single season record for sacks if he didnt get those suspensions? bailey is a great player but i think its a little difficult to pick one "best" defensive player seeing that there's several different defensive positions. but id have to say merriman is up there.
June 5, 2007 @ 11:04 PM
dash

^i was gonna say he was overrated but he IS a great player. it's just he has A LOT of media and hype.portis>bailey....the only reason they gave up portis is because the broncos are the type of team that can plug almost anyone in the RB position and easily have a "great" 1000+ yard RB. if they couldnt do this, no way would they trade portis for bailey. i think this trade hyped bailey's status A LOT and thats why i think he;s overrated but that doesnt mean he aint a great player
June 6, 2007 @ 01:11 AM
HARTY

NICK BARNETT.
June 6, 2007 @ 12:05 PM
JoHnFLeM

Bailey is overrated. I use to sweat him when he played for the Redskins. Shut down CB my ass. Ray Lewis is consistently phenominal.

Overrated and flaky. Pending on how the teams season starts usually shows what kind of season he is going to have. i.e. Broncos start off on fire (which they probably will) Bailey will be on fire. When he is good he is great and when he is bad he is terrible.

On the other hand to some consistent players, of course we have Mr. Lewis for the Ravens (no explanations needed). Another player that I personally think that all should really be fearing in another year or so is Merriman for the Chargers. If he never got suspended he would of shattered the sacks record. Its a fact. Too bad those chargers are going to be having some real problem this year with there new coach and all. As a off. cordinator Norv Turner is of hall of fame caliber. But he is the Ryan Leaf off coaching. Just horrible.

My end thoughts Go Raiders!
June 6, 2007 @ 02:06 PM
Quick Draw

ray-ray. hands down. no question.

this dude puts it all out on the field every game. makes everyone around him better. just his presence alone can help any d.
June 6, 2007 @ 05:34 PM
DaVinci

espns top defensive players r champ bailey and brian urlacher
June 7, 2007 @ 08:04 AM
OneEyeWilly

I would say Barnett but with Hawk there hes not gonna get nearly as many tackles. Zac Thomas. Year in and Year out he just has fantastic seasons.
June 7, 2007 @ 08:08 AM
patelsd55

I'm a ravens fan, so the obvious choices would be Lewis and mcalister, but I also don't mind watching Adrian Wilson, Jason Taylor, Merriman, and Bob Sanders.
June 7, 2007 @ 03:23 PM
QingAndKueen

merriman definitely
June 8, 2007 @ 06:04 AM
JayNav

I think Champ Bailey is as close to Deion as there is. The only reason I don't say Champ is as good as Deion is because Deion was a big threat on special teams, but Champ can tackle better then most CBs in the league and we all know Deion didn't tackle at all.

I can't belive someone actually said Portis is better then Champ, you really can't compare the two positions, but if you took 100 knowledgable, non-biased football fans I can pretty much guarantee 95 of them would pick Champ Bailey to start a team over Portis.
June 8, 2007 @ 03:21 PM
dash

in my first post in here i said it's hard to say one person is better than the next because there are several defensive positions.

comparing portis and bailey is not so far fetched is it? they were traded for each other.im talking about importance to the team.if portis wasnt injured last year and had great numbers, people would say "wow they really let portis go" but nah he got injured and couldnt even play. i honestly would pick portis over bailey...bailey is great but is hyped.portis is a beast.like i said, if the broncos offense wasnt so "easy to plug in ANY rb and have a 1000 yard rusher (lol)" than they probably wouldnt have let portis go.for some reason the broncos can insert almost any rb in their system and have them produce. all in all, portis is more important to a team than bailey imo.

i dont think u can expect to win a championship without a running game. you can win without a great corner though.i'd say the last decade or so, all the championship teams had a great running game and all of them didnt necesarily have "great corners" and STILL won. i'd rather have a proven rb than a "shutdown corner."
June 8, 2007 @ 09:57 PM
bmorekicks

Ray Lewis or Ed Reed
June 12, 2007 @ 11:09 PM
UGK

Jason Taylor for the Dolphins

Please login first to reply.