February 19, 2007 @ 12:01 AM
focus

Well I know some of you play basketball in leagues, me travel, but I need some tips. I play SG but I really want to transfer to PG because I have the heart of one, you know what I mean, making plays and all. But usually when I play I'm a shooter. (mid range & 3-point) I can drive ok but sometimes I have trobule driving.

I can handle the basketball good. I can juke/crossocer/spin/fade good. The problum I have is when I drive in the lane I always just lose the ball. Not because of poor handling but whendrive bump into a person or literally just get engulfed by people, the ball just dissapers in the crowd of people. So any of you PG out their give me some tips on driving if you have any.

Usually when I sucessfully drive is when I cross/juke the guard then accelerate to his left or right and go up for the jumpshot or layup. What I need to know is how can you drive when let's say you get pass the guard, but the center/pf all clog the middle. I know you should pass out and I do but I just need to know other ways to drive.

and if you dont want to read anything i said here's the main question:

[SIZE="5"]How do you drive? And what are some tips you can give me to sucessfully drive.

[/SIZE]

Oh and yeah forget to add, driving against a zone defense. Man to man is easy.
February 19, 2007 @ 12:54 AM
Theseventhletter

so pretty much you want to learn how to keep your handle in a crowd? hmmmm how deep do you usually get before you get stripped because your solution might just be protecting th eball better or as soon as you get in get it up or get it out
February 19, 2007 @ 01:09 AM

Inactive

if your loosing the ball because your bumping into people.
- hit the weight room

if your loosing the ball because your getting doubled team.
-hit the weightroom. make them foul you. make your freethrows

if your loosing the ball just because you cannot finish in such traffic.
-learn how to drive to the basket under control. plan your move before you do it. always plan, a "what if" plan. "what if someone plays help defense when i drive?"..what do you do next?...also, learn how to use a jump stop, it can be a gift & a curse on loosing multiple defenders, and splitting defenses.
February 19, 2007 @ 02:05 AM

Inactive

What I need to know is how can you drive when let's say you get pass the guard, but the center/pf all clog the middle. I know you should pass out and I do but I just need to know other ways to drive.

Oh and yeah forget to add, driving against a zone defense. Man to man is easy.

Work on your control and visual skills.
- Develop new moves *the floater* and work on it
- Taking it with two hands, jump stops, and pump fakes are great to use
- bulk up and muscle your way to the basket.

If you're looking to not pass out and finish, then i suggest you watch Tony Parker play. He's probably the best at taking the defender off the dribble and finish in traffic. Watch how he takes it in with two hands and doesn't expose the ball.
February 19, 2007 @ 05:34 AM
itdiedin98

use your body to protect the ball and be strong with it. thats something that ive had to work on too over the pass couple years. in 9th grade i was just a pure shooter and might pump fake and float it up every now and then. now my only problem is finishing. i usually get fouled and go to the free-throw line though. also going to the weightroom will help you out. thats something i need to start doing to. i admit it, im weak. sad
February 19, 2007 @ 01:33 PM
focus

so pretty much you want to learn how to keep your handle in a crowd? hmmmm how deep do you usually get before you get stripped because your solution might just be protecting th eball better or as soon as you get in get it up or get it out

I get as far as pass the first guard, around the charge circle. And yes I'm a preety good foul shooter but would rather finish at the basketball and get and1 then get points the poor mans way. smile

And thanks for all the tips. I guess I'll hit the weight room and drive stronger

Another thing is when I'm driving how do you guys get pass the big man when he's trying to block you? Do you just pump fake and "try" to drive around him. And how do you sucessfully drive around him?
February 19, 2007 @ 03:07 PM
Theseventhletter

when im going against a big man i usually change my shot because once he gets his armmoving he cant change its direction or stall on him jump for the easy one but stall mid air hell swing or keep his hands up and you put up the last second shot/lay up before you hit the ground
February 19, 2007 @ 03:18 PM
Emperor

I hold the ball like if I was playin football sometimes....lol, i dunno.... it works for me
February 19, 2007 @ 03:43 PM
thephreak

yea, floaters are good. also, when the bigs come out to clog u, do a spin move to get around em to dish or lay-up. pump fakes are good too, but sometimes it doesnt work and u end up stuck or the big man falls on u.

edit: how tall are u? cuz that affects a lot when ur against an athletic big

I look how you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable and most importantly, I am free in all the ways you are not.

February 20, 2007 @ 12:39 AM
Theseventhletter

good point vic when you drive your best bet it just trying to draw the foul especially if youre a guard
February 23, 2007 @ 12:09 AM
-Ruff Ryder-

dude just be confident.... tuck the ball nice use a jumpstop pump fake and if they are in zone u can usually make a pass to a slashing forward/center cuz they will double team u when u get down there...my favorite player to watch drive is Maggette from the Clippers he has it down and is really good at doing that
March 20, 2007 @ 01:00 AM

Inactive

hit the weight room to get your control better and so when you get banged around you can still hold your own.

as for driving in, drive in and when you see the zone begin to collapse pull it back and start moving back and swing it. for a zone all you have to do is penetrate or at least try to and kick it out. simple and easy.
March 20, 2007 @ 08:07 PM
IH8Fakes

yeah i was a pure shooter last seasont then i got my weight up and added new moves to my game such as pump faking and floaters. i mean just take the contact and protect the ball with your body or you can cuff it like stephon marbury does. watch smaller guards play that are good and you'll see.
March 21, 2007 @ 12:05 AM
lemon bar

try jump stopping to get into the key. when you drive and someone comes to help it will look like you're kicking it out. and its impossible to guard when you're behind someone that does that. they have to let you go or foul you..
April 7, 2007 @ 05:21 AM
S*L

I hold the ball like if I was playin football sometimes....lol, i dunno.... it works for me

that works

i dont do it coz im taller but its effective

watch some stephon marbury he does it heaps

also jump stoppin in the lane and giving a pump fake and then either dishing it or taking a step for a layup off the pivot

thats all i got lol
April 14, 2007 @ 03:18 PM
alnit3

maybe practice more dribbling.
June 16, 2007 @ 09:59 AM
deliveryboy3

when you pass your guard and the big man is next, you need to just tuck the ball in like a football and that will help you protect the ball alittle more. but when your in the paint the bigger guys are usually slow(most of the time) and you can basically just cross ova and beat him to one side. usually the big guys go for the swat on layups, and to avoide that u can do a 2 foot plant and pump fake or do a reverse. but i suggest you tuck the ball in your arm when your driving in the key.
June 16, 2007 @ 05:43 PM
CuttyBuddy

That is an excellent way to drive to the basket, I do the same also. People may think it looks weird and ask "How do you drive like that? Can you actually release the ball before your 2 steps while holding the ball like that?" This is also how Ben Gordon drives. Anyway, about the TC's problem. You necessarily don't need to hit the weightroom. This one thing is your problem: handles. Being able to have an effective crossover and spin move is nice, and you may think that your handles are good, but from what I'm hearing, no, they're not. Forget the weights. Pick up a basketball and start dribbling. Work twice as much on your non-dominant arm. If you're losing the ball in traffic, it's either you're nervous of the defensive pressure approaching you, or just your handles. If you're nervous, then you'll have to get over that yourself, but my tip is start dribbling. If you're going to take a walk, take the ball with you and just dribble the entire way. Sit in one spot at home and dribble in between your legs while sitting. Pros do this all the time, especially players like Iverson. If none of that works, then just work on early shots that the big men can't block. Work on your teardrop shots, or floaters. If you can't get those to go, do the most basic: the power/stutter step. Hop in as far as you can into the paint, anticipate the center/forward going up to block it, then lay it up. If you have good body control, go up for the shot when the other player is still in the air for the and-1. Since you're a shooting guard, you should really start working on these, but being a SG, you don't really need to worry about driving too much. Just have your PG dish it to you around the perimeter and shoot. You can be like a Rip Hamilton/Ray Allen. But, all SG's do need to do some driving once in a while, so start dribbling.
June 16, 2007 @ 11:05 PM
ice13water

craddle that bitch
June 17, 2007 @ 08:09 PM
bmorekicks

A lot of good advice in here, but the most important thing is to just go play. You will learn from your mistakes and what moves work for you. Actual basketball experience is the most important. Also watch people who are strong drivers.
June 17, 2007 @ 09:35 PM
kid_fromhk

honestly i dont suggest pump faking when ur driving into the lane, cuz ur gonna pick up ur dribble, get called for 3 in the key wen ur trapped or jump ball... i dont play pg but i play 3/4 so i know how big men rotate... usually u can lean ur body into the guy then adjust ur layup, but that takes practicing. The most basic thing u can do is work on your quick jumpshot so once u pass that guard, hit that short lil 15 ft jumper, cuz once u hit that a few times, the big men are gonna cheat and they are gonna come out more, then u can blow right by them.

another way is to dribble in the lane, but if u feel like ur gonna get double team just dribble back out or dribble around the baseline like steve nash does, then try to set it back up, cuz most of the time ur 3,4,5 are gonna cut into the lane for a easy deuce since ur gonna open the paint up.

if ur really looking to make and1 plays, honestly u have to hit the weight room, so u can get more athletic be able to pound in the ppl in the middle, then u can make more athletic plays. other than that if ur gonna go for the layup dont be afraid, have both hands on the ball, or do the football cradle and just go up hard and strong. if not hit that floater like TP but i recommend u kiss it off the glass... easier when ur starting.
June 20, 2007 @ 12:41 AM
UGK

You should use your body to protect the ball. I'm a SF so all i do is dribble in and pump fake. If the defender bites easy point for u. If he doesnt just pass the ball outside. Dont force anything. Also if you hit the weightrooms that will help you a lot. The stronger you are the less you will get pushed around in the crowd.
June 20, 2007 @ 12:50 AM
hydeandseke

you need to learn how to handle the rock with each hand. try dribbling, while looking up (60 degrees), as fast as you can with one hand down the full length of the court. Switch hands, do the same.

Play 2 on 2.

try driving against one person.

Then slowly move to 4 on 4 or 5 on 5.

You should watch tony parker as he does a great job driving to the hoop and scoring (via layup or the raindrop). Steve Nash, although not as fast as Parker, masterfully spaces the court and is able to beat guys off the dribble by leading his right arm past the defender. Or, he stops on the dime and does a fadeway jumper in the lane.

When driving to the hoop, never look down. You got to almost go in with a reckless abandon but have your head up to see the second defender closing in to find the open teammate (if your shot isn't there). It takes time, but practicing is the best way.
June 24, 2007 @ 10:54 PM
badballa8

it's pretty simple: if you have a bigger defender on you, use your speed to blow right by him. for smaller defenders, just use your strength to run through them and they'll eventually give way (most players are too scared to take charges anyway). also, mix your offensive repertoire with pump fakes and pull up jumpers to make them respect your outside game. this will make it much easier when you do decide to drive.
June 24, 2007 @ 10:57 PM
badballa8

it's pretty simple: if you have a bigger defender on you, use your speed to blow right by him. for smaller defenders, just use your strength to run through them and they'll eventually give way (most players are too scared to take charges anyway). also, mix up your offensive repertoire with pump fakes and pull-up jumpers to make them respect your outside game. this will make it much easier when you do decide to drive.
January 22, 2013 @ 12:40 AM
jjtrey

I can handle the basketball good. I can juke/crossocer/spin/fade good. The problum I have is when I drive in the lane I always just lose the ball. Not because of poor handling but whendrive bump into a person or literally just get engulfed by people, the ball just dissapers in the crowd of people. So any of you PG out their give me some tips on driving if you have any.        

I used to have the same problem man, but then i just started doing what i do when i play pick-up basketball. I noticed the result immediately, and started to draw fouls more. What I did was a "hop step" in a hop step you dribble the ball in the direction you want to jump and after the ball bounces and starts to come up grab it. Then you can make a fake and shoot or just continue with your momentum and get an easy foul and score since you have more control of running into people in case it might be a charge if you do.
January 22, 2013 @ 01:11 AM
Canvas08

why the fuck did u revive this 6 year old thread

Please login first to reply.