SALE - Up to 70% Off - Shop Now
August 17, 2011 @ 07:55 AM
skivic35

If you haven't heard yet, here is the article: espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6866006/ponzi-schemer-nevin-shapiro-says-provided-benefits-miami-athletes

Article is too long to quote.

In short, a booster paid lots of players and only game out with this after he went to prison for getting caught running a ponzi scheme. He named over 100 players, 72 of them have been confirmed to receive improper benefits from him. There has been talk now that they will save the death penalty which SMU received in the 80's which killed their football program.
August 17, 2011 @ 09:17 AM
AIpo

Just read the article, shits unreal. Shapiro even went as far as to pay for the abortion of a dancer a Miami player impregnated without the player knowing because he feared "The idiot might have wanted to keep the baby"

I'm not a fan of the death penalty after watching the 30:30 doc 'Pony Excess'. Also the NCAA would have to reinstate it & I feel if they wanted to use that as leverage for teams not to break the rules it should have still been in play after the SMU scandal.
August 17, 2011 @ 01:14 PM
skivic35

but Miami is just as, if not worse, than SMU with this.
August 18, 2011 @ 04:11 AM
Ducis

So you believe everything that a convicted con artist or in other words someone that LIED to people to make his illegal business grow says? ESPN and Yahoo as well as every other news media outlet is hyping the fuck out of this story because it sells!! There is a reason why The U was the most popular ESPN documentary ever. People love to hear about the supposed antics of Miami football players and they always will.

Another great point is that Shapiro tells reporters that
August 18, 2011 @ 10:12 AM
unknown force.

i don't believe everything he said but i wouldn't doubt that shit like this is happening. it sucks because the U is going to be used as an example even tho schools like USC and ohio st and the majority of other big schools are doing the same shit.

r.i.p. the U if they get the death penalty
August 18, 2011 @ 10:34 AM
skivic35

so ur defending Miami? All the players that were mentioned have yet to say NO I DIDN'T RECEIVE BENEFITS FROM HIM. All they keep saying is that they have no comment which makes them look bad.
August 18, 2011 @ 01:04 PM
Ducis

so ur defending Miami? All the players that were mentioned have yet to say NO I DIDN'T RECEIVE BENEFITS FROM HIM. All they keep saying is that they have no comment which makes them look bad.

Yes and no. My post was really to point out how biased and how hyped up ESPN is making the situation look for ratings purposes and it pisses me off. I also said that i believe that players were receiving improper benefits but I am sure that it happens in every major college program and instead of fixing the underlying problems the NCAA waits for the problems to arise. The system is what is wrong not the students keeping quiet. If the players did open their mouths the media can and will use it to hype this story even more. Even if they say NO I DIDN'T RECEIVE BENEFITS FROM HIM then they would be asked to snitch on who was.

SNITCHES GET STITCHES!!

Please login first to reply.