August 23, 2011 @ 11:56 AM

Inactive

toughmudder.com/
anybody doing this here from norcal?

Where you at???

Pictures make it look cooler than it actually is.
August 23, 2011 @ 01:40 PM
biglocal

I have a question: Im trying to lean/cut up so I've added cardio and doing more ab workouts two days a week into my schedule. And the rest of my days I would lift weights, but my real question is on my cardio days do I consume what I normally eat on my weightlifting days?

I would eat oatmeal for breakfast along with 3 boiled eggs and a cup of OJ

lunch would either be 2 grilled chicken breast along with a bunch of mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflowers, carrots etc.)
or ground turkey with mixed veggies (peas, carrots, corn)

I would snack on almonds mainly, if I start to crave.
Also drink a scoop of whey

And dinner would be the opposite of what i had for lunch

if it helps I'm 5'6" 156lbs
supplements i'm on are:
oxy elite
myo fusion whey protein
gnc glutamine and bcaa amino acids
gnc multivitamins
& cla vitamins

could use some help?
August 23, 2011 @ 02:15 PM
ClydeFrazier

i would keep your calorie intake consistent, regardless of whether you workout or not that day

Melo Gang All Day

August 23, 2011 @ 02:48 PM
Scotty

I have a question: Im trying to lean/cut up so I've added cardio and doing more ab workouts two days a week into my schedule. And the rest of my days I would lift weights, but my real question is on my cardio days do I consume what I normally eat on my weightlifting days?

I would eat oatmeal for breakfast along with 3 boiled eggs and a cup of OJ

lunch would either be 2 grilled chicken breast along with a bunch of mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflowers, carrots etc.)
or ground turkey with mixed veggies (peas, carrots, corn)

I would snack on almonds mainly, if I start to crave.
Also drink a scoop of whey

And dinner would be the opposite of what i had for lunch

if it helps I'm 5'6" 156lbs
supplements i'm on are:
oxy elite
myo fusion whey protein
gnc glutamine and bcaa amino acids
gnc multivitamins
& cla vitamins

could use some help?

I would add more cardio days into your workout if you are looking to get lean.. 2 is just a basic, you should be doing cardio atleast 4 times a week.. Try doing cardio a after a lifting day as well.. Also keep your calories the same, no matter what day you are doing cardio or lifting..

Your diet seems on the right path but try getting away from the basic 3 meal a day and go to a 5-6 small portion meals a day..Keeps your body fueled which builds up your metabolism.. 3 Big meals a day isnt bad as long as the calories are the same but slows down your metabolism a bit...
August 23, 2011 @ 03:10 PM
ClydeFrazier

eh i would avoid intense cardio on workout days though, maybe just 10-20 mins postworkout

Melo Gang All Day

August 23, 2011 @ 07:06 PM
Scotty

^ Yeah no need for long cardio, just some short fast cardio.. 15-20 minutes of sprint intervals, is always the best choice.. Thats if u are looking to get lean/shredded as possible..
August 24, 2011 @ 07:26 PM
brannen

^ yeah here is the basic of it..

Back and Bi's( 2 to 3 exercises each) with 30 min. cardio
Chest/shoulders/Tris( 2-3 exercises each)
30-45 minute cardio & Ab circuit
Legs
Back/Bi's with 30 minute cardio
Chest/Shoulder/tris(
Cardio and ab circuit
then legs and so on...

This is a 12 week routine, which you do it 7 days a week.. And u are always rotating days, so u never are on the same schedule, keeps your muscle guessing and working.. Also when u are on your second day of the split try doing a different exercise than the first day.. For example, on chest day one u do Bench, incline, decline, so on the second day try bench, incline flys and dips.. Works the same mucles but in a different way..

So I've been trying to follow this routine for a little while except I've been doing HIIT after every workout - Scotty didn't mention doing any cardio on chest and legs days. Would doing HIIT everyday be alright or am I just overworking myself out?
August 24, 2011 @ 10:06 PM
Scotty

^ I wouldnt recommend it... Here is why i didnt do it on chest/shoulder/tri days.. Because i was already doing 3 different body parts, it tires you out because u are doing more work than back/bi day.. Basically that routine has you doing cardio every other day... Also there is no need to do cardio on leg days because you already working your legs to the max, why add more with cardio, just going to over work yourself.. If you are going to do this for the whole 12 weeks, im going to tell u not to do cardio everyday, this routine is already pushing your body alot because u dont have any days off.. Doing more cardio will just push it more which could lead to u over do it then get exhausted.. Trust me, your body will start to take a toll with this alone, I had to take a 4 day break around the 6-7th week mark because i was exhausted..
August 25, 2011 @ 03:49 AM
brannen

Good looks Scotty
August 25, 2011 @ 12:00 PM
Iceboogie

suspended

dude its walking.....................................................

Waffles : u guys are just internet faggots

August 25, 2011 @ 02:43 PM
DunkPunk

anyone here do complex training?

UCSB.

August 25, 2011 @ 02:48 PM
DunkPunk

oh yeah here is my weekly workout.

M-F daily: either run 1 mile, row for 10 min, or bike for 10. after that i do 3sets of 10 pullups.

monday: a lot of pull exercises.
tues: arms and shoulders
wed: complex and some push exercises.
thurs: "300" thursday. 100 pullups 200 pushups 300 squats. then proceed to do the mile. ( each week you time yourself and try to beat your record)
friday: freestyle friday. (do whatever i want. beach muscles etc)

edit: this varies week to week. i have a PT.

UCSB.

August 25, 2011 @ 05:29 PM
fatbro

M-F daily: either run 1 mile, row for 10 min, or bike for 10. after that i do 3sets of 10 pullups.

thurs: "300" thursday. 100 pullups 200 pushups 300 squats. then proceed to do the mile. ( each week you time yourself and try to beat your record)

no offense, but this routine is ass. it looks like you just threw together a bunch of random shit. what are your goals?
August 25, 2011 @ 07:53 PM
ClydeFrazier

hitting arms before chest isn't wise imo

Melo Gang All Day

August 26, 2011 @ 11:16 AM
livestok.

Dude your workout is fucking ass. Its not a do whatever you feel like concept. Can you edit that shit out so people don't get the wrong impression and think it is an acceptable workout?

edit: calling it a workout is a stretch
August 26, 2011 @ 11:21 AM
livestok.

1. Your workout is fucking ass. You don't know what you are doing whatsoever.

2. You have no rest days.

3. No structure just "alot of x" or "some of y" what the fuck does this mean?

4. Stick to a workout, consistency is key what the fuck is "varies week to week"?.

5. Freestyle friday is the most retarded thing I have ever heard of.

6. Is there a point to those random miles you throw in?

7. Don't post your shit workout here, thanks.
August 26, 2011 @ 11:51 AM
DunkPunk

MY routine is working out great for me. i got injured in feb started working out in June at 128lbs. now im 140lbs. dont tell me what dont work for me.

1. i workout with my homies. you need to switch up exercises to hit diff muscles. if you do bench press strictly you arent gonna work out your whole chest. you need to do dips. incline, decline etc.

2. workout list is too comprehensive, i didnt really wanna post up every exercise i did. so i apologize i kinda just wrote bs cause i was heading to class.

3. varies week to week as in sometimes i'll workout legs on a mon instead of a wed. but pretty much i stay consistent.

4. random miles? i just run 1 mile.

end note. all my friends/ family who saw me last spring who seen me now have seen a big difference as to when i was working out by myself and then when i got a some friends who know what they are doing to help train me ( 1 of which had a 2 week contract in the NFL). so dont fuckin tell me what dosnt work for me.

UCSB.

August 26, 2011 @ 01:55 PM
fatbro

if you lift weights in general, you are guaranteed to see some type of progress. but it doesn't mean you're making efficient progress.
August 26, 2011 @ 02:02 PM
DunkPunk

i'm making way more progress in these 3 months alone then my WHOLE last year of working out. last year i could barely maintain a 128 lbs minimum.

UCSB.

August 26, 2011 @ 02:24 PM
livestok.

I actually lol'd irl. You were 128 lbs hahahahahhahaha. Thats the average weight of an 8 year old boy or an average woman. Those "gains", if you can even call them that were beginner gains. You could've lifted rocks and you still would've seen strength and size increases.

you know what's even funnier? You have been working out for 15 months and have progressed from an amazing 128 lbs to an even more amazing 140 lbs you a fucking embarrassment to the human race don't ever post here again you know absolutely nothing
August 26, 2011 @ 02:58 PM
ClydeFrazier

dunk, if you want to get serious, do some research or at least take what others say into consideration

livestok, this isn't OT, i think we can talk without insulting each other

new routine i might start this week. thoughts? www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

Melo Gang All Day

August 26, 2011 @ 03:24 PM
traCk.

laynes routine is awesome, if you are an advanced bodybuilder. if youre just getting into working out or not at quite that advanced of a state you might want to try something different
August 26, 2011 @ 03:35 PM
ClydeFrazier

see that's the thing, while i'm certainly not new, i'm nowhere near his advanced level. any recommendations?

Melo Gang All Day

August 26, 2011 @ 03:38 PM
livestok.

my original post had no insults directed towards him just pure constructive critiscm and calling out a dude talking straight from his ass. After he responded with his retarded reasoning I couldn't help but burst this retards bubble
August 26, 2011 @ 03:59 PM

Inactive

What Livestok. said is mostly right as harsh/blunt as he was. What you threw up was an inconsistent and vague list that just looked like it was thrown together.

I'm not an expert at any of this and I understand the notion that something that works for one person won't work for another. However, things like "freestyle friday" sound completely useless. Most people trying to get fit, stronger, faster, etc have a consistent plan and they try their best to stick to it.

Your layout seems incredibly inefficient and you're really only holding yourself back and wasting your time in the gym.

If you have a personal trainer I really hope you aren't paying them if they approve of this workout.
August 26, 2011 @ 04:02 PM
Scotty

dunk, if you want to get serious, do some research or at least take what others say into consideration

livestok, this isn't OT, i think we can talk without insulting each other

new routine i might start this week. thoughts? www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

Pootie i tried this routine like what a month ago and posted about it... His workout routine is some advanced bodybuilding routine.. Doesnt hurt to try it but be prepared to not even get through the whole workout on each day.. Its pretty brutal and i gave up after trying it for a week.. But u might have different results but remember its Laynes workout, he is one of the top BB in the world! hahaha
August 26, 2011 @ 05:53 PM
traCk.

see that's the thing, while i'm certainly not new, i'm nowhere near his advanced level. any recommendations?

whats your body type and what kinda goals you gunning for? i can probably point you in the right direction with a bit more info. im doing a 3x a week full body routine right now and making better gains then i did on a 5x a week program

MON
squat
bb bench
bb rows
db press (shoulders)

WED
deadlift
bb incline
lateral raises + shrugs
leg press (moderate weight)

FRI
squat
military press
db bench
pullups

the stars* are where i would throw in some kind of iso exercise for tris and bis whether they be curls, extensions, skull crushers, chins, cg bench....whatever, you get the point but ive been working pretty much based off that model with some changes here and there
August 26, 2011 @ 06:41 PM
livestok.

^ That is probably overworking. Squat and deadlift's are huge compound exercises and both use over 70% of your bodies muscle groups so 24 hours to recover isn't enough. Also if you are doing high weight low reps ont hose exercises can be taxing on the CNS (central nervous system) so it is unlikely you can give it 100% effort when you have them just 1 day in between each other. Don't need to do chest 3 times a week either most I do is 2x a week. I wouldn't squat/DL more than once a week at a heavy weight(relative) and vary or decrease the volume of the chest exercises (maybe add some flys, decline instead of flat benching motion)

* it does vary from person to person some people can tolerate that amount of volume but most can't but at the end of the day listen to your body
August 26, 2011 @ 07:12 PM
Scotty

^ Jim Stoppani who is a pro BB/trainer, senior science editor for muscle & Fitness has you doing basically same 3 full body routine in his strength n size program.. But only has u doing it for 3 weeks and no longer.. Basically gets your form good and helps u build some strength.. Wouldnt do it for any longer though then move on to a different split..

* If u are looking just for size and strength, look his 12 week, 4 phase routine up!
August 26, 2011 @ 08:46 PM
ClydeFrazier

you guys think i'm overtraining for mass?

day 1=chest tri
flat bench 3x8
incline bench 3x8
decline bench 3x8
flys 3x8
dips 3x8
rope pulldown 3x8
flat bar pulldown 3x8
behind the back tricep extension 3x8

day 2=back bi
pulldown 3x8
seated rows 3x8
bent over rows 3x8
barbell curls 3x8
seated dumbbell curls 3x8
cable rope hammer curl 3x8

day 3 off

day 4=legs
squats 5x8
leg press 5x8
leg extension 4x8
leg curl 4x8
seated calf raises 5x10

day 5= shoulders, traps, forearms
dumbbell shoulder press 3x8
upright row 3x8
barbell shoulder press 3x8
shrugs 4x8
dumbbell lateral raise 3x8
barbell behind the back forearm curl 5x10

day 6 off

and repeat

that's my routine as of now going for lean mass (recently added 3 sets of deadlifts to my back days). i just really hate going to the gym a few times a week and only doing 12-15 sets, it doesn't ever feel like enough for me.

Melo Gang All Day

Please login first to reply.