Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
May 29, 2011 @ 11:20 PM
Spankbank

I want a bike to get some cardio instead of running, trying to get some opinions from people who might have one or the other. I like mountain bikes, but I probably won't be going off terrain. Haven't really tried road bikes, but buddies of mine have been saying to get them instead if I'm just gonna use it for exercise.

Also, whats the best place to to cop online? I only know of bikedirect

edit: also could someone with bike knowledge shed some light on what brands are good and what are the common fork length?
May 30, 2011 @ 11:21 PM
Cybrax2

Get a Roadie for roads, duh.

Bikedirect is a great site. I got my single speed Kilo TT...from craigslist (very happy with the purchase) which the guy probably got from bikedirects. People rave about the kilo tt from bikesdirect, anyways....
Theres insignificant amount of bad testimonies about bikedirects, so they're safe.

I dont know much about road bikes but they look fun. Just do some search on the bikes on bikedirects.
May 30, 2011 @ 11:34 PM
Ferris.Bueller

I want a bike to get some cardio instead of running, trying to get some opinions from people who might have one or the other. I like mountain bikes, but I probably won't be going off terrain. Haven't really tried road bikes, but buddies of mine have been saying to get them instead if I'm just gonna use it for exercise.

Also, whats the best place to to cop online? I only know of bikedirect

edit: also could someone with bike knowledge shed some light on what brands are good and what are the common fork length?

First off, whats your budget?

Both mtn and road offer great cardio exercise but unless you have a local mountain, trails and such to go bombing at, id stick to road.

If your tryin to ball on a budget, def go to bikes direct or stick to craigslist. They have really pretty decent frames with really good components. ie. shimano 105, ultegra, Sram Red blah blah blah.

If you wanna be a hipster, get a fixie ♥♥♥♥♥

Fork lengths? i think you mean toptube lenght. Go to your local bike shop and tell them youre interested in buying a road bike and want to get fitted. They should be able to give you an approx. frame size for you.
May 30, 2011 @ 11:53 PM
Groupsspout

This BBS very interesting
Nice content. Thank you for your information.

welcome to my
[url=http://www.karenmillensstores.com] karen millen dresses
[url=http://www.karenmillenshop.co.uk] karen millen coat
May 31, 2011 @ 03:01 AM
Spankbank

Thanks for the reply guys. The only reason I consider a mountain bike is because of the gears. There are hill-y streets around here so that's why I considered mountain bikes. Also I've never messed with a road bike, so I don't know how I'd do with the skinny tires.

I'd say my budget is probably 100-200. As for the toptube length, I have no local bike shops near me. sad Whats the best thing for me to do? I'm like 5' 5"-6"-ish about 145-150lbs don't know how they measure it so I'll just give you my body type, lmaoo.
June 4, 2011 @ 07:27 PM
Naco_tech19

I've been riding on a road bike for about six months and I love it its supper addicting once you start getting good at it. The most important thing is learning yours gears, after that is learning how to spin in a high gear and you'll fly. I own a Cannondale CAAD9 4 rival 54 flat black aluminum frame with pink tires pink seat and pink bar tape it goes hard believe it or not lol. I tried mountain biking but its wasn't for me, seems like who ever rides them always end up hurt and I rather not have time off in between rides. As far as your budget if you really want to get into road biking that wont be enough, but if you just want it for the extra exercise you'll be fine
June 4, 2011 @ 07:37 PM
araw at bituin

Thanks for the reply guys. The only reason I consider a mountain bike is because of the gears. There are hill-y streets around here so that's why I considered mountain bikes. Also I've never messed with a road bike, so I don't know how I'd do with the skinny tires.

I'd say my budget is probably 100-200. As for the toptube length, I have no local bike shops near me. sad Whats the best thing for me to do? I'm like 5' 5"-6"-ish about 145-150lbs don't know how they measure it so I'll just give you my body type, lmaoo.

your size should be around 49-51cm. what do you mean by you only considered a mountain bike for the gears? road bikes also have gears and you can change around the ratio with new chainrings anyways. don't worry about the skinniness of the tires, they can hold a lot of weight.

http://instagram.com/qyel

June 5, 2011 @ 04:30 PM
Spankbank

^^Oooh, I always thought road bikes had one gear. -___- Also for road bikes, how does it go up against potholes and shitty roads? Also as for the seats are they comfortable for long periods of time?

Also how much do they tend to weigh? I was looking into a windsor bike
June 5, 2011 @ 08:58 PM
solesociety

Whatever you do, avoid buying a bike from Performance Bike; their maintenance is "free" but it takes weeks. You're better watching DIY videos on youtube and fixing the bike yourself.
June 5, 2011 @ 09:47 PM
Ferris.Bueller

^^Oooh, I always thought road bikes had one gear. -___- Also for road bikes, how does it go up against potholes and shitty roads? Also as for the seats are they comfortable for long periods of time?

Also how much do they tend to weigh? I was looking into a windsor bike

Fixed gears/fixies/track bikes have one gear.
Seat wise, think of them like shoes. A) You get what you pay for B)Every seat fits everyone differently so you might have to try a couple out before you buy. I went through 5 different ones before going with my Selle Italia.

Every bike weighs differently...it all depends on the components and composite the bike is made of. But your looking at around 13lbs for a full carbon bike to
17-19lbs for an aluminum/carbon

Whatever you do, avoid buying a bike from Performance Bike; their maintenance is "free" but it takes weeks. You're better watching DIY videos on youtube and fixing the bike yourself.

♥♥♥♥♥ what performance bike do you go to? They full tune my bike in a day!
June 5, 2011 @ 09:59 PM
araw at bituin

If you don't ride a lot, any seat will hurt your butthole on long rides. Most road bikes aren't gonna weight over 20 lbs unless you're getting some POS from walmart.

http://instagram.com/qyel

June 5, 2011 @ 11:29 PM
magicbluntman

i like to work out
June 6, 2011 @ 04:25 AM
stevedavis

for cardio my pal road biking is the best!!
June 6, 2011 @ 07:37 PM
BuddyOmar

Nothing like a good ergonomic seat.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBuddyOmar?feature=mhee |||||||||||||| Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/buddy_omar

June 7, 2011 @ 01:48 AM
mrkdwrds

I would recommend you check out a local shop, at least for sizing on a bike. "Road" typically refers to a bike with a full drivetrain (anywhere from 18-30 combined gears) and drop handlebars, whereas as singlespeed or fixie/fixed gear will have one gear, and with a fixed gear you can't coast. Road bikes are better for exercise in that you can match your pedaling speed to how fast you're going for a more consistent effort and cadence.

IMO the most important part of getting a bike is having a proper fit, because spending 2+ hours riding in an uncomfortable and potentially harmful position is bad news. Saddles are important but if you want to start riding a lot on the road, a good set of bike shorts helps.
June 7, 2011 @ 11:09 PM
Naco_tech19

i just got home from a ride down Coronado's silver stand in San Diego CA.....Time:1:53 Distance 33.47 Average speed:17.69 Fastest speed:29.22 i used Cyclemeter and Strava to track my ride
June 8, 2011 @ 07:20 PM
Spankbank

Found a local bike shop around me cool gonna try to hit it up when its not hitting 100 degrees out.

Also sorry to be repetitive, but how do road bikes fair up against shitty roads? (ie: broken roads, pot holes etc.)
June 8, 2011 @ 07:27 PM
It's Only Hype

i just got home from a ride down Coronado's silver stand in San Diego CA.....Time:1:53 Distance 33.47 Average speed:17.69 Fastest speed:29.22 i used Cyclemeter and Strava to track my ride

playboy, why did you even post this?
June 8, 2011 @ 08:25 PM
Naco_tech19

why not, it is a bike thread
June 17, 2011 @ 11:41 PM
Armond

Anyhow it makes a perfect sense and combination because it is well balanced exercise and good for fitness and health.
June 22, 2011 @ 02:28 AM
andrewmac1

Mountain bike.
June 22, 2011 @ 02:53 PM

Inactive

Found a local bike shop around me cool gonna try to hit it up when its not hitting 100 degrees out.

Also sorry to be repetitive, but how do road bikes fair up against shitty roads? (ie: broken roads, pot holes etc.)

Depends on how shitty the road is... If there are major potholes and the streets are in really bad conditions you may want to make sure whatever bike you get is able to clear for some larger tires. Or invest in some heavy duty tires and carry spare tubes/pump/lever
July 28, 2011 @ 08:37 PM
War Stories

With your budget I would search Craigslist.
August 3, 2011 @ 10:10 PM
dergatron9000

i would advise against ordering online. hit up a bike shop, look through their catalogs and see if they will match online prices. Also if you are looking for a work out bmx is the way to go. i was in the same boat and didnt want to pay a buncha money for a mountain bike or or roadbike. i got a cruiser bmx with 26" wheels and a higher gear ration. i can peddle up most hills no problem and the seat isnt a problem because i just stand when i peddle + it only weighs 25 pounds. O and my bike cost $800CDN, macneil 26" crusier
October 9, 2011 @ 07:55 PM
jaded

I just rode my brother's old road bike he got on Craigslist around our neighborhood and it was really nice. I didn't realize what a good exercise it can be. Is there an actual cycling thread on here??

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

October 10, 2011 @ 01:30 AM
Vancouver

just get a mtb

Please login first to reply.