October 9, 2010 @ 09:42 PM
CShizzle77

I'm trying to buy a fixie for commute and just casual rides around town, the things is I have no idea where to start looking! Hypebeast do you guys have any idea like good starting companies with a fair price? Nothing top of the line just reliable. Thanks guys
October 9, 2010 @ 09:46 PM
bRyyy

There's a thread for fixies ma duude.
Ask away here.
hypebeast.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5993
check bikesdirect.com for good deals&to get started.
October 9, 2010 @ 10:01 PM
STI Guy

i dont know why people won't just get a track bike with a freewheel.
October 9, 2010 @ 10:46 PM
keo_

i dont know why people won't just get a track bike with a freewheel.

care to explain? I might look into getting a bike.

blog.anthonykeo.com

October 9, 2010 @ 10:47 PM
Denny Crane

Get the fuck out of Off Topic with this shit.
October 9, 2010 @ 10:50 PM
STI Guy

care to explain? I might look into getting a bike.

well im assuming you have no clue about how bikes work. you say you want a "fixie" because you just like how popular it is and want a bike that has that certain look? or do you actually care about having a fixed gear hub?

edit: opps i thought you were the op.
October 9, 2010 @ 11:01 PM
keo_

i know what a fixed gear bike. I just want to know what a bike with a freewheel is. I rode my friends fixed gear, it was cool but i dont understand why people ride them.

blog.anthonykeo.com

October 9, 2010 @ 11:05 PM
STI Guy

a freewheel is a wheel that spins without needing the constantly peddle. it's the most common hub used on bikes these days. when you say you rode a fixed gear bike im assuming you rode a track bike with a fixed gear hub. you can get the same bike with a freewheel hub.
October 9, 2010 @ 11:07 PM
keo_

ohh lol wow i feel retarded. yeah, i would have to agree with you on the freewheel thing then too.

blog.anthonykeo.com

October 9, 2010 @ 11:51 PM
lolwut

yah, i have a converted fixed gear. don't really like not being able to coast( you have to pedal at all times)
October 10, 2010 @ 12:37 AM
Patrick of LA

start at your local sex shop; they're in the dildo isle
October 10, 2010 @ 01:02 AM
chemist.

why not just get an old road bike? that's honestly the best thing to commute with. there's a lower likelihood of it being stolen and it's chill as fuck.

i don't get why everyone wants a track bike to ride on the road and coast. i see that shit all the time at my school. pisses me off.

http://trillosopher.tumblr.com

October 10, 2010 @ 01:03 AM
4G LTE

fixies are for faggots

rollin' down the strip on vogues comin up slammin cadillac does

October 10, 2010 @ 01:52 AM
CShizzle77

There's a thread for fixies ma duude.
Ask away here.
hypebeast.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5993
check bikesdirect.com for good deals&to get started.

Thanks man I really appreciate it I'll start there

@STI Guy
Yeah I really have no idea thats y I posted it cus I needed some place to start, it's all up in the air right now hahaha
October 10, 2010 @ 02:04 AM
STI Guy

well fuck fixed gears. they are stupid and there is really no reason why they still exist.
October 10, 2010 @ 02:07 AM
CShizzle77

Help me out really quick, I'm honestly just looking for a bike that's fun to go on rides on trails and in the hills thats reliable

What do you recommend??
October 10, 2010 @ 02:14 AM
STI Guy

get a mountain bike then.
October 10, 2010 @ 02:25 AM
DirtbagZack

whatever

October 10, 2010 @ 02:26 AM
DirtbagZack

whatever

October 10, 2010 @ 04:20 AM
CⒶM

hey guize im new here, could you help me get a fixie
im a very unique person so a neon or purple fixie will suit me
itll be dope to have so i could take pics of my fixie and put on my myspace, facebook, and tumblr
so all my freinds know i have one
fixie lyfestylecool

Not with a bang but a whimper

October 10, 2010 @ 04:26 AM

Inactive

well fuck fixed gears. they are stupid and there is really no reason why they still exist.

LOL so wrong... I'm not even gonna debate this. Do some research and then think about what you just said. Because you obviously don't understand.
October 10, 2010 @ 07:49 AM
Koven

Fixed gears are way more fun then regular road bikes. There is a zen like experience one gets from riding fixed. You become way more alert and aware of your surroundings and you get a better connection to the road, you actually become one with the bike.

Its also exercise compared to a free wheel where you're coasting 40 percent of the time.

I used to hate on fixies until I actually got one. Its so fun.

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

October 10, 2010 @ 01:36 PM
STI Guy

LOL so wrong... I'm not even gonna debate this. Do some research and then think about what you just said. Because you obviously don't understand.

so you like riding backwards?
October 10, 2010 @ 02:02 PM

Inactive

so you like riding backwards?

Can you pedal backwards on a freewheel? Do you have as much traction control on a freewheel? Do you have the ability to ride during winter and avoid gears and d
October 10, 2010 @ 02:07 PM

Inactive

Fixed gears are way more fun then regular road bikes. There is a zen like experience one gets from riding fixed. You become way more alert and aware of your surroundings and you get a better connection to the road, you actually become one with the bike.

Its also exercise compared to a free wheel where you're coasting 40 percent of the time.

I used to hate on fixies until I actually got one. Its so fun.

I agree to a certain extent. There's a lot that you can do and experience on a fixed gear that you don't on say a road bike. However, there is A LOT that you experience on a road bike you could never experience on a fixed gear.

The ability to precisely change gearing to meet your needs at any given time, the skill it takes to make the right decision and keep your cadence and heart rate where it should be, leaning into and taking sharp turns, bombing down extreme descents (no way in hell would could do this on a fixed unless you took your feet out of the clips and had a rear and front brake), doing really steep climbs, drafting in groups (not a good idea on a fixed gear), etc.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s2ipOSqGms

Just two different ways to ride both with benefits and advantages.
October 10, 2010 @ 02:58 PM
STI Guy

Can you pedal backwards on a freewheel? Do you have as much traction control on a freewheel? Do you have the ability to ride during winter and avoid gears and d
October 10, 2010 @ 03:08 PM

Inactive

And yet BMX is far from a road bike or a fixed gear. How would a freecoaster hub work on a track bike? It wouldn't work very well at all. It serves its purpose with BMX though.

Have you even rode a fixed or road bike before? Because it seems you've taken a small sliver of what you read online and are making a lot of assumptions at this point without any actual knowledge or experience.

and yeah i can get as much traction on a freewheel.

Uhh no you can't. That's not an opinion. It's a fact. Can you hit a baseball with a stick instead of a bat? Sure you can, but it's not as efficient and its not the same.

One of many links that explain it simple enough that anyone can understand.

www.livestrong.com/article/111894-benefits-using-fixed-gear-bike/
Also check out www.bikeforums.net
October 10, 2010 @ 03:14 PM
STI Guy

yeah i've rode a fixed gear. i didnt read about it online. i rode the bike. and what do you mean a freecoaster wouldn't work on a track bike? unless you absolutely need to pedal backwards, a freecoaster hub with internal brakes works just as well as a fixed gear hub. and what do you mean by traction really? do you mean in foot high snow?

besides, op saids he wants a bike for casual rides. i know you can casually ride around in a fixed gear but im betting he's not looking into a bike that has a learning curve.
October 10, 2010 @ 03:29 PM

Inactive

yeah i've rode a fixed gear. i didnt read about it online. i rode the bike. and what do you mean a freecoaster wouldn't work on a track bike? unless you absolutely need to pedal backwards, a freecoaster hub with internal brakes works just as well as a fixed gear hub. and what do you mean by traction really? do you mean in foot high snow?

besides, op saids he wants a bike for casual rides. i know you can casually ride around in a fixed gear but im betting he's not looking into a bike that has a learning curve.

lol what in the hell are you talking about? Every fuckin bike has a learning curve. You're acting like fixed gear is some space science shit that came about in the last 5 years.

It'll be harder or easier depending on the person.

If you truly rode a fixed gear you'd already know that "pedaling backwards" is not the same as a coaster brake. You're able to resist, slow down, skip stop, skid (dumb idea most times), whip skid, much faster and much more accurately than some coaster brake.

Google traction control and fixed gear. ANY surface that is smooth, wet, hell even areas that are more graveled a fixed gear would do better. I suggest you research some of this stuff because I can't continue this conversation with a person who doesn't know what he's talking about. I provided two links. Read them if you actually want to know more and understand the topic.
October 10, 2010 @ 03:30 PM

Inactive

And quoted one more time so you can go research, come back, and realize how wrong this is.

a freecoaster hub with internal brakes works just as well as a fixed gear hub.

Please login first to reply.