Halloween Sale - Up to 25% Off Your Entire Order - Use Code: NOTRICKS14
July 12, 2010 @ 01:44 PM
wongk222

Hi,

I have just joined the forum today and this is my first post. I have been doing weights on and off for about 5 years just to keep in shape. Lately I have decided that I want to increase my size and strength and loose a little bit of belly fat. I weigh about 13 stone and am around 6ft tall. I eat a fairly balanced diet with lots of meat and fruit. I have started going to the gym about 5 times a week targeting a specific muscle group each time I go, this has been working well thus far, but now I want to include protein shakes aswell. Im not sure which ones would be best, and when/how often i should be taking it?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
July 12, 2010 @ 01:55 PM
Striker

might be in the wrong forum?

but im sure peeps will help you out.
July 12, 2010 @ 06:48 PM
rts

Same story for me. Whats your routine?
July 13, 2010 @ 05:23 AM
danariely

Depends on how much protein you get in your diet.

At least take a shake after your workout (starts anabolic process), and maybe one before you sleep (as growth hormone levels peak during sleep).

In terms of what kind to get, don't fall for manufacturer bullshyt about all the goodies they include. Just get a basic, cheap protein powder (whey concentrate or isolate) that mixes well and tastes good. My personal fave is Optimum.
July 16, 2010 @ 05:21 AM
RoseJan123

Protien shake
It depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking to bulk up, just get regular whey protein. If you're looking to build LEAN muscle mass, get whey protein isolate. Once you've decided which, go to a health store and compare the ingredients/prices and find the best price-quality ratio (especially if money is a factor).

And that person that said bananas are really high in protein is an idiot...

You DO want to put banana in your shakes (or at least eat them) for a lot other reasons though (EXCELLENT source of energy, high in potassium which will dilates blood vessles, which will give you a lot of benefits, and it will help restore muscle glycogen levels, which is the optimal fuel for your muscles)
August 14, 2010 @ 02:00 PM
Nevadaface

Optimum Whey protein or Optimum Pro Complex gainer. It wont let you down.
Try bodybuilding.com. Has tons of supplements with reviews.
August 28, 2010 @ 05:41 PM
K BOOG

Yeah anything by Optimum is good. I wouldn't worry about Isolate unless your competing.
August 28, 2010 @ 09:30 PM
gnar

Optimum Whey protein or Optimum Pro Complex gainer. It wont let you down.
Try bodybuilding.com. Has tons of supplements with reviews.

Yeah. I am an active member at bb.com and it's a great site for any information. And agreed with the ON whey.
September 1, 2010 @ 11:42 PM
L.A

any whey should be good...
i use true mass workss great
September 3, 2010 @ 05:30 PM
nguyentendo

Optimum nutrition whey is a good. I usually get the double rich chocolate.
September 6, 2010 @ 01:31 PM
hyperpiper45

Just get whatever is cheap. On workout days I like to have one straight after I workout and then one before bed. You don't need shakes to get big though, it's more for convenience to get the calories/protein in. Just make you are lifting heavy to failure and up the weights or reps each session.
September 6, 2010 @ 03:53 PM
nemesi5

Just get whatever is cheap. On workout days I like to have one straight after I workout and then one before bed. You don't need shakes to get big though, it's more for convenience to get the calories/protein in. Just make you are lifting heavy to failure and up the weights or reps each session.

oo, that helps
September 8, 2010 @ 01:15 AM
Yeti_J

muscle milk works pretty good. take it before your workout.
September 8, 2010 @ 06:31 AM
jassmine12

I have never taken any protein shake ever

Please login first to reply.