Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
June 5, 2011 @ 05:22 PM
frzn

why do you guys keep saying 5x5 though

everything i've read tells me 8-12 is the best amount of reps for hypertrophy and gaining mass

i feel like a lot of people here aren't looking to strength train they just wanna look good
June 5, 2011 @ 05:43 PM
Scotty

^ u posted u werent looking for strength, u were looking for mass? To gain mass, u do low reps, more sets.. 8-10 reps is for lean muscle and will also build strength..
June 5, 2011 @ 07:09 PM
frzn

ah sorry by mass i meant lean mass. hypertrophy kind of thing
June 6, 2011 @ 04:28 AM
stevedavis

i have to work only on my tummy!! what is the best exerciser for me!!!!
June 6, 2011 @ 11:39 AM
Scotty

ah sorry by mass i meant lean mass. hypertrophy kind of thing

Hypertrophy routine is a split between Low rep, more set, heavy weights(5x5) and low/high rep, less sets, less weight... Im going to be doing this in 4 weeks cause my lean muscle program will be over and i should be where i want to be with being lean and my weight loss..
June 6, 2011 @ 06:52 PM
BuddyOmar

Shaolin Shadowboxing is a healthy regimen as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBuddyOmar?feature=mhee |||||||||||||| Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/buddy_omar

June 6, 2011 @ 08:51 PM
ClydeFrazier

don't forget the wu tang sword style

Melo Gang All Day

June 6, 2011 @ 10:04 PM
Young Handsome

Anyone know an alternative workout for running sprints, I don't have as much access to the track as I used to.
June 6, 2011 @ 10:22 PM
Scotty

Man come on now, u don't need a track to run sprints.. U can run sprints anywhere: park, fields, hills, outdoor basketball court, streets..
June 6, 2011 @ 10:37 PM
ClydeFrazier

Anyone know an alternative workout for running sprints, I don't have as much access to the track as I used to.

suicides on the bball court

Melo Gang All Day

June 7, 2011 @ 08:52 AM
DILLAZILLA

Cardio for 20 minutes every other day, work out (lifting weights, push ups, squats, etc) every other day for 25. Thats at home. If I have time I go to the gym and run a couple of miles. But that doesnt really give any results because there is virtually no after burning if you dont do hours on end. Just drink lots of water. You might gain a bit of weight if you drink a lot, but water weight is easy to get rid of.
June 7, 2011 @ 11:23 PM
Naco_tech19

for cardio i do HIT with a gymboss 20sec sprints 10sec jog and when i dont run i ride my road bike i try and do 200 miles a month
June 8, 2011 @ 12:28 AM
Aeron

My workout routine is simple.I do 30 minutes walk in the morning daily and after it do 30 minutes running.these two exercises provide me energy and make me healthy and fit.I spent only 1 hour for my exercise.
June 8, 2011 @ 06:27 AM
YoungDizzal

^ Yup, get some weight gainer, there is other protein u can drink such soy, hemp, and casein, eat about 3000 calories, make sure u eat around 150 grams of protein, ALOT of complex carbs, and just like we been stated for everyone who wants to put muscle on 5x5's of heavy lifting.. Other supps: (Glutamine, BCAA, Creatine, Multivitamin, fish oil) those should be your daily routine as well...

A simple routine of 5x5 is to just do 4 day week Monday/Tuesday Thursday/friday... Rest is key when doing heavy weights cause your muscles need more rest then other type of lifting.. U also can throw in a mid cardio/ab day in there as well on like saturday..

Also for the regular posters in this thread and nutrition/supps thread... Im going to combine the 2 threads cause they always go hand in hand.. And most people asking for advice always ask about both as well.. So what should we call the thread? Post what u think the new thread should be and we'll pick one.. Remember its about EVERYTHING!

4times a week? The stronglift 5x5 program is supposed to be 3 workouts a week. 48hours rest in between. For the in-between days, i'd suggest Cardio/abs, but it's not necessary. I barely did abs when i was on the 5x5 program because you're using your core to do the all the exercises in the program anyway.

Felt unaesthetic as fuck on this 5x5 program though, just got a lot stronger/slightly bigger. Time to cut. cool

And don't get into the whole "supplement hype". Supplements will only get you so far, eating right is your best "supplement" out there. You don't need those stupid pre-workouts that everyone's been talking about lately, they give you a "good pump" but is it really worth the money and are you seeing really good gains?

Another thing to point out. Working your muscles to failure. Is that even necessary? I always see guys pumping out 12-15reps in the gym and working their muscles to failure. I don't see the point of this, if this applies, you're not using enough resistance or you're just doing unnecessary reps.

Train smart, not hard.
June 8, 2011 @ 06:52 AM
ClydeFrazier

^truth

i take supplements, but nothing works better than eating well 5-6 times a day. preworkouts are completely overrated, you should be sleeping 8 hours a night if you're working out (helps with muscle development believe it or not) and eating enough that you're energized for a full workout. however, whey, creatine, bcaa's, and fishoil/multi's are all great supplements that are beneficial in my opinion.

as far as lifting goes, if you're trying to lean bulk, i feel 3x8 is the best combination while going up in weight each set. 12 reps is far too high per set for gains but if you're walking out of the gym without some serious soreness, you're doing it wrong. for instance, when i do biceps i can't even touch my finger to shoulder after.

Melo Gang All Day

June 8, 2011 @ 01:25 PM
Scotty

4times a week? The stronglift 5x5 program is supposed to be 3 workouts a week. 48hours rest in between. For the in-between days, i'd suggest Cardio/abs, but it's not necessary. I barely did abs when i was on the 5x5 program because you're using your core to do the all the exercises in the program anyway.

Felt unaesthetic as fuck on this 5x5 program though, just got a lot stronger/slightly bigger. Time to cut. cool

And don't get into the whole "supplement hype". Supplements will only get you so far, eating right is your best "supplement" out there. You don't need those stupid pre-workouts that everyone's been talking about lately, they give you a "good pump" but is it really worth the money and are you seeing really good gains?

Another thing to point out. Working your muscles to failure. Is that even necessary? I always see guys pumping out 12-15reps in the gym and working their muscles to failure. I don't see the point of this, if this applies, you're not using enough resistance or you're just doing unnecessary reps.

Train smart, not hard.

The 5x5 is how u work each muscle and how u split the days.. There is more than just one program for Mass building by using 5x5's.. But for me i;d rather do hypertrophy routine which i will be starting in 4 weeks for the summer.. But for failure, i only do that for my last set out of 3 in my lean program which is 2x8-10, 1 to failure.. There is no need of going to failure on each set, cause its actually just tiring your muscles out more..

Supplements are an ad in what u are trying to achieve and there is only certain supplements needed.. Some supplements are scientifically proven to help.. Such as whey/casein protein, creatine, glutamine, bcaa, few others... But those weight loss supplements are more of a gimmick than anything.. People dont read the little label on it that says need healthy diet and working out.. Those 2 things is what is going to help u lose weight and add the caffeine from a healthier source like green tea.. Also pre workouts just give u a boost and focus, some people dont need em, some people do.. I drink green tea which gives me that extra energy..
June 8, 2011 @ 06:35 PM
kh

Does this 5x5 method look sufficient for bulking?

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw56.htm

Should I add any workouts/ do some instead of others?
June 8, 2011 @ 07:27 PM
YoungDizzal

Does this 5x5 method look sufficient for bulking?

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw56.htm

Should I add any workouts/ do some instead of others?

It's good for gaining a shit load of strength because the program forces you to do your personal max everytime(not when you start out though). Other workouts you should throw in there:

1. dips/pullups
2. 2-3sets of ab exercises

These are just assistant exercises, focus mainly on the exercises from 5x5. You should be tired as fuck, after the 5x5 anyway.
June 12, 2011 @ 07:46 PM
myBallz

pm me if you know a great workout to work on legs for hops
June 22, 2011 @ 02:27 AM
andrewmac1

Yoga for half a our
Squats for 5 min
Abs crunches for 10 min.
Push ups for 15 min.
June 29, 2011 @ 12:58 AM
fatbro

Yoga for half a our
Squats for 5 min
Abs crunches for 10 min.
Push ups for 15 min.

hahahahahahahah
June 29, 2011 @ 06:03 AM
snowflake

even i don't buy that! ha ha ha ha ha |0
June 30, 2011 @ 12:30 AM
mumbai

pm me if you know a great workout to work on legs for hops

look up plyometrics, i think thats what its called, one of my friends used it and it helped him jump higher

edit:
so i recently joined the gym and i have no idea what i should do for my workout routines, i just copy whatever workouts in the mens fitness magazine thats in the restroom in my house that doesnt make me look awkward, shits tiring. im trying to cut down/get lean and have a diet. can anyone give a workout plan for getting lean/cutting, and a cheap diet plan
June 30, 2011 @ 01:37 AM
Smores

if you're trying to lean bulk, i feel 3x8 is the best combination while going up in weight each set. 12 reps is far too high per set for gains but if you're walking out of the gym without some serious soreness, you're doing it wrong. for instance, when i do biceps i can't even touch my finger to shoulder after.

I've been trying to put on lean mass the past year doing 4x8, going up by 5-10 lbs every set for all my exercises; should I be scaling back? I generally don't feel sore after I lift unless it's when I haven't lifted for a few days. For example, I did bis/tris/shoulders today and even though when I got to my 4th set I could barely get to 7 reps I wasn't sore afterwards... Any thoughts?
June 30, 2011 @ 06:21 PM
Zoxii

I will post my workout everyday.

Conditioning Phase:Intensity 65-75%

Daily Warm-Up Jump Rope 4 Minutes
Sit-Ups 3x35
Ham/Glute Raises 3x15

Thursday

Pull-Ups 3xMAX
Lat Pulldown Behind the Head 3x10
Lat Pulldown Front 3x10
Front Squat 4x8
Lunges 5x5
Power Clean/Press 4x6
Straight Leg D-Lift 4x10
Straight Bar Curls 3x10
DB Curls 3x10
Core Work

Hopefully someone will find use to this! Check back daily.

Oh, I'm done with the gym 'till Monday. All running during my weekends/relaxing.
June 30, 2011 @ 06:42 PM
Scotty

look up plyometrics, i think thats what its called, one of my friends used it and it helped him jump higher

edit:
so i recently joined the gym and i have no idea what i should do for my workout routines, i just copy whatever workouts in the mens fitness magazine thats in the restroom in my house that doesnt make me look awkward, shits tiring. im trying to cut down/get lean and have a diet. can anyone give a workout plan for getting lean/cutting, and a cheap diet plan

Well first thing there is no cheap diet cause good healthy food isnt cheap but look in the nutrition thread for what to buy as of food... Also here is my basic layout of my workout routine i posted to get lean.. Been doing this for 11 weeks and this is my last week of doing this routine.. But i have lost a great amount of weight, BF%, and leaner than i was when training muay thai.. Also did this by changing my diet.. I will post all my results when i finish but here it is:

My routine right now is a 7 day a week routine with rotating days.. I dont have a specific day for anything which keeps my muscles always working.. And my sets are 2x10 and 1 set to failure.. I only do 2-3 different workout for each muscle group, on each day, this way i dont have to work one day on each group.. Which this prevents gaining alot of size and gets u lean..

Monday: Back/biceps (cardio after)
Tuesday; Chest/Shoulder/tri
Wed: Abs, Cardio
Thursday: Legs
Friday: Back/Biceps(Cardio after)
Saturday: Chest/Shoulders/tri
Sunday: abs, Cardio
New week will start with legs and just keeps rotating..
June 30, 2011 @ 07:23 PM
ClydeFrazier

I've been trying to put on lean mass the past year doing 4x8, going up by 5-10 lbs every set for all my exercises; should I be scaling back? I generally don't feel sore after I lift unless it's when I haven't lifted for a few days. For example, I did bis/tris/shoulders today and even though when I got to my 4th set I could barely get to 7 reps I wasn't sore afterwards... Any thoughts?

do you find that you're no longer going up in strength as well? if so i would recommend switching up routines.

Melo Gang All Day

June 30, 2011 @ 07:31 PM

Inactive

Yoga for half a our
Squats for 5 min
Abs crunches for 10 min.
Push ups for 15 min.

LMAO why not..
June 30, 2011 @ 09:02 PM
It's Only Hype

do you find that you're no longer going up in strength as well? if so i would recommend switching up routines.

yeah it sounds like he's hitting that plateau
June 30, 2011 @ 11:28 PM
&y

anyone know what "superd" or super dee or something along the lines of that is? my friend is recommending me it, but i'd like to get some info on it

Please login first to reply.