December 29, 2006 @ 01:18 PM
magik

Gone for good now or?
December 29, 2006 @ 01:30 PM

Inactive

i thought it was only me that lost it. I was in the middle of typing in a thread and pooof
December 29, 2006 @ 01:37 PM

Inactive

This is fucking lame, I hope they finish whatever the hell the need to do to it soon so they can just leave it alone.
December 29, 2006 @ 01:38 PM
sneakerHI

^^^ yup...
December 29, 2006 @ 02:27 PM
TyraCute

lol whoa i thought i was like banned from it or something.....or i was not logged on or something.. =X
December 29, 2006 @ 02:33 PM
SOLE

(-_-)

I'm outttttttties.
December 29, 2006 @ 02:50 PM

Inactive

The buy/sell forum is gone for good. Sorry to the honest sellers and buyes but it was just getting worse and worse even with the strict rules and costing HB alot of users and credibility. If people decide to leave because that section is gone its unfortunate but the site will benifit from quality over quanity. Im sure Kevin will give the final word on this.
December 29, 2006 @ 02:59 PM
Tiffany Chan

gaylord
December 29, 2006 @ 03:14 PM

Inactive

The buy/sell forum is gone for good. Sorry to the honest sellers and buyes but it was just getting worse and worse even with the strict rules and costing HB alot of users and credibility. If people decide to leave because that section is gone its unfortunate but the site will benifit from quality over quanity. Im sure Kevin will give the final word on this.

EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THE SITE COULD POSSIBLY BENIFIT FROM THAT SECTION BEING GONE?
December 29, 2006 @ 03:14 PM

I'm happy I didn't go crazy trying to get a hundred post like I was about to.
December 29, 2006 @ 03:16 PM
Juan

wack
December 29, 2006 @ 03:28 PM
magik

There's a ton of forum boards out there aimed at all sorts of stuff, where buy/sell forums work just fine, on the Kidrobot boards where people sell stuff worth thousands of dollars they have a very simple trade rule policy that also states that they take no resposibility for trades gone bad and that its up to the buyers/sellers themselves to take the necessery steps if they want to make sure people in question is legit , they also have a feedback thread for good trader testimonys , this has been going on for three-four years now and there really havent been much problems with it.

And i agree with what people have said here, tossing the BST forum will not benifit this site at all, and i belive there are still ways to make it safer then it was , if anything you could atleast let the people who have itrader feedback continue to offer stuff , sure it wouldnt be any new cats selling things but there should be more then enough legit people out there with feedback to keep it running just fine
December 29, 2006 @ 03:35 PM

Inactive

I understand the frustration and people being upset over this but its out of my hands and its out of yours. Kevin decided that this was the best thing to do in fact he wante dto shut it down long ago. I know that this will bring lots of voices of protest but it is what it is. Passionate pleas for it to remain open are just you stating your opinion with no results. The buy/sell forum will not reopen, any debate or questions how it shuting down for good will benifit the boards should be redirected to Kevin who Im sure will give you an answer but will not reopen the boards. Thanks
December 29, 2006 @ 03:53 PM
-kT

If you think the lack of the BST Forum will scar Hypebeast, consider the amount of scams we've had in the last month alone. You think that these don't affect the rep of Hypebeast? with the new rules still implemented, people were still being scammed.

now, unless any of you wanna volunteer to go to each buyer/sellers house, and check if their legit before they make the sale, then there really isnt much more to make the BST forum safer
December 29, 2006 @ 04:17 PM
Kevin Ma

We're really sorry that we have to shut down the Buy/Sell forum.

Unfortunately, our forum is targetting by many scammers who use it to make a quick buck from our members.

We tried making things harder for people to scam but somehow people still do. We even put in a sticky thread telling people how to not get scammed but I guess not everyone reads that as well.

We're truly sorry about this.

HYPEBEAST.COM

December 29, 2006 @ 04:21 PM
magik

If you think the lack of the BST Forum will scar Hypebeast, consider the amount of scams we've had in the last month alone. You think that these don't affect the rep of Hypebeast? with the new rules still implemented, people were still being scammed.

now, unless any of you wanna volunteer to go to each buyer/sellers house, and check if their legit before they make the sale, then there really isnt much more to make the BST forum safer

I really dont agree here, people first off gotta realize that _they_ themselves have to take it upon them to take the steps _they_ feel are necessery to ensure themselves of a safe trade, one cant really expect nor try and hold hypebeast responsible for trades gone bad, it's funny how plenty of forums survive just fine with BST boards , since going by the logics of your argument here they should be barely scraping by, i wonder why that is that they _arent_

HB stating that they dont take resposibility , and a FAQ thingie for how one can ensure themselves the best way of a safe trade , what to look for and things that should send up red flags for newbies, a feedback thread , and it shouldnt really be any problem, most other boards dont have any more safeguards than these and there rolling along just fine.

That and keeping the tagged pics should be more then enough , scams are pretty much impossible to avoid completly , there are however ways to lower the possibilitys for scams.
December 29, 2006 @ 04:23 PM
magik

We're really sorry that we have to shut down the Buy/Sell forum.

Unfortunately, our forum is targetting by many scammers who use it to make a quick buck from our members.

We tried making things harder for people to scam but somehow people still do. We even put in a sticky thread telling people how to not get scammed but I guess not everyone reads that as well.

We're truly sorry about this.

If someone comes up with a better system then the one in place would this atleast be considered or will it just fall on deaf ears?
December 29, 2006 @ 04:33 PM
Kevin Ma

I agree that many forums have fabulous buy/sell forums and are working perfectly fine with even less rules than we have.

However it doesn't seem to work here because:

1. Some of our members don't read how to prevent fraud from happening. I don't know why though cuz clicking onto that "prevent fraud" thread isn't that hard.

2. The clothing industry has way too many fakes therefore creating a easy way for people to make money off.

3. People here seem to complain more than in other forums which gives a bad vibe for the forum itself. When you get frauded because you paid by money order, then you are certain to become a victim! But people keep complaining and stuff and it just doesn't give the forum a good feeling.

I'm up for any ideas as long as it doesn't require like 20 mods moderating the buy/sell forum 24/7.

HYPEBEAST.COM

December 29, 2006 @ 04:52 PM
-kT

I really dont agree here, people first off gotta realize that _they_ themselves have to take it upon them to take the steps _they_ feel are necessery to ensure themselves of a safe trade, one cant really expect nor try and hold hypebeast responsible for trades gone bad, it's funny how plenty of forums survive just fine with BST boards , since going by the logics of your argument here they should be barely scraping by, i wonder why that is that they _arent_

HB stating that they dont take resposibility , and a FAQ thingie for how one can ensure themselves the best way of a safe trade , what to look for and things that should send up red flags for newbies, a feedback thread , and it shouldnt really be any problem, most other boards dont have any more safeguards than these and there rolling along just fine.

That and keeping the tagged pics should be more then enough , scams are pretty much impossible to avoid completly , there are however ways to lower the possibilitys for scams.

i agree. its into the buyer/sellers hands. but sooner or later, someone is gonna be scammed for a thousand bucks for a PS3 or some shit, and the cops are gonna be notified. Hypebeast will PROBABLY be shut down if that happens. i mean all of it, if the cops decide to do a criminal investigation, since it IS stealing if you take someones good's, and dont give them the money for it. so in a way, the BST forums is small payment

Kevin and the mods have already tried fixing things up with more rules. obviously, not working
we're up for any ideas though. i doubt therell be many, since we've thrown in most of them, and they havnt worked....
December 29, 2006 @ 04:53 PM
magik

I agree that many forums have fabulous buy/sell forums and are working perfectly fine with even less rules than we have.

However it doesn't seem to work here because:

1. Some of our members don't read how to prevent fraud from happening. I don't know why though cuz clicking onto that "prevent fraud" thread isn't that hard.

2. The clothing industry has way too many fakes therefore creating a easy way for people to make money off.

3. People here seem to complain more than in other forums which gives a bad vibe for the forum itself. When you get frauded because you paid by money order, then you are certain to become a victim! But people keep complaining and stuff and it just doesn't give the forum a good feeling.

I'm up for any ideas as long as it doesn't require like 20 mods moderating the buy/sell forum 24/7.

Im gonna give this some serious thought and get back to you if i come up with something , i do however agree with the complaining part , people should realize that they arent to make topics calling each other out , topics warning of fraduelent behavior on the other hand could be accepted aslong as theyre kept under supervision so they arent derailed.

in any way shape or form a BST ever gets opened here again i have to say though that the only allowed methods of paying should be by PayPal or meet ups , no scammers union , moneyorders , or zero protection bullshit like that.

A thread in the forum for how to easily spot fakes could be implemented aswell , most fake stuff are quite easy to tell apart from the real deal , id be happy to construct one for Evisu for instance.
December 29, 2006 @ 04:55 PM
magik

i agree. its into the buyer/sellers hands. but sooner or later, someone is gonna be scammed for a thousand bucks for a PS3 or some shit, and the cops are gonna be notified. Hypebeast will PROBABLY be shut down if that happens. i mean all of it, if the cops decide to do a criminal investigation, since it IS stealing if you take someones good's, and dont give them the money for it. so in a way, the BST forums is small payment

Kevin and the mods have already tried fixing things up with more rules. obviously, not working
we're up for any ideas though. i doubt therell be many, since we've thrown in most of them, and they havnt worked....

Just allowing clothing and clothing related stuff would be a start , there are tons of other forums you can use if you wanna sell electronics , that are much better suited for it aswell.
December 29, 2006 @ 04:56 PM
-kT

^ but there'll still always be the dumb kid that decides its legit enough cause its 10 dollar evisu, why not?
December 29, 2006 @ 04:57 PM
-kT

Just allowing clothing and clothing related stuff would be a start , there are tons of other forums you can use if you wanna sell electronics , that are much better suited for it aswell.

the PS3 was just an example. the example could turn into a LMTD EDITION BBC ZIPUP HOODY SELLING FOR 900 BUCKS
what then? if a 13 year old kid decides to buy it, and gets scammed, im quite certain he/she will go to his/her parents, and the parents will go to the cops, and the cops will come to us. oh goody
December 29, 2006 @ 05:00 PM
magik

^ but there'll still always be the dumb kid that decides its legit enough cause its 10 dollar evisu, why not?

There isnt really much to do about that, however if the forum clearly states that they dont take any responsibility for it they arent at fault , all you need really is one of those "i agree" then its the person in question's fault for not reading through the disclaimer

And if cops would be shutting down forums based on this i know quite a few that wouldnt be still standing , people have gotten frauded on the KR boards with cops getting involved in the end , the forums however are still standing fine.

There isnt any way at all to make it 100% safe , but there are ways of making it as safe as possible without having 24/7 moderation.
December 29, 2006 @ 05:32 PM

Inactive

Let me tell you something: I have been scammd on here. I bought Artwork and paid by paypal and never recieved it. I followed the channels and filed my complaints and never got any money back. AND I STILL THINKS ITS A BAD IDEA TO CLOSE THE BST FORUM. Its just the cost of doing business that way. How many of us have been scammed in some way, shape or form on Ebay? Do they close down? NO. I love this site, it my internet home and I guess i;ll be here reguardless but this is a BIG loss for us. It will push more people to ISS and Niketalk and keep them there longer instead of them with us. I'm sure if you can figure out how to turn a simple, little blog into damn near the biggest site in streetwear, you can figure out how to run a BST forum efficently. Think About It.
December 29, 2006 @ 06:43 PM
SOLE

yeah. i'm sorry to say that i guess im off to ISS now.
December 29, 2006 @ 08:18 PM

Inactive

I don't see why people can't understand this, it's a fairly simple concept, here goes:

It's the people who do business' responsibility to ensure the deal they are making is legit, and they will not be scammed. Hypebeats should not have to hold every fucking persons hand while thye buy shit. Do people research and make sure they're buying safe when they buy a car or piece of property? Yes. then why the fuck wouldn't they put the same effort i when they buy expensive clothing, they act like it's a waste of time when in reality they're only fucking themselves over. Getting rid of the buy/sell forums just reaffirms how HB is getting worse and worse. If it's not the post whores or idiots posting, then its the scammers. And to be honest, the people who get scammed are worse than the fucking people who ripped them off becaue it's not a very hard thing to do to ensure you don't get ripped off. It doesn't matter how fucking bad tyou want to buy an item from somebody, if they seem shady and don't have credible references then YOU DON'T FUCKING BUY FROM THEM!.

After tonight I'm taking a break from HB and hopefully the forum gets it shit together and I can happily return. Now keep in mind I'm not criticising the Mods or Kev, because frankly they shouldn't have to give a shit about the people getting scammed because the people sure as hell don't, if they did you would have gone through the motions to ensure your safety.
December 29, 2006 @ 08:34 PM
Juan

an age restriction for hb would be sooo good. i feel bad for all the cool little kids but its honestly them that have brought this place down. from all their stupid posts and acting like theyre police officers. Kids shouldnt be spending that much money on shoes and clothes anyways
December 29, 2006 @ 08:44 PM

Inactive

^Thats an absolutely ridiculous thing to even think. Age has nothing to do with this there's a lot of younger people on this forum that contribute a lot and act very maturely, it's only a few stupid kids who ruin things ( and even some older people do the same)
December 29, 2006 @ 09:10 PM
jumpinjohn1234

I never got scammed. But my thoughts:

You keep it simple- you got less problems; less to deal with.

thats whats happening here.

Please login first to reply.