The Official Lupe "The Cool" Thread

December 11, 2007 @ 13:09:58 PM
i'm on track 8 and shit is ill so far.

http://www.mtv.com/music/the_leak/lupe_fiasco/the_cool/#
December 11, 2007 @ 14:01:05 PM

Inactive User

Listened to the whole album on The Leak all the way through. My initial reaction is...

Lupe is probably the most talented young MC that hip hop has heard at least since a young Nas jumped on the scene. On this album he's more esoteric and more experimental and in a darker place/ He's also lyrically on another plateu then he was on the first album. Which are all good things right? Well yes and no. Lupe is an extrodinary lyricist, he has a a huge command over vocabulary and double meaning. But at times it comes at you like a title wave and u can hardly concentrate on one thing he's saying. Then after a while it becomes a marvel of how many hard to understand metaphors and complicated rhyme structures he can fit into 16 bars rather than actually enjoying the actual song itself. And it doesnt reall help that most of the beats are a bit slower and draging then hes ever dealt with making u focus on the words rather than the beat. Which as i mentioned before is a chore within itself. Unless u enjoy having your mind go through a complex puzzle...which of course is not a bad thing but it can be distracting.

As far as production...Its obvious that every MC in hip hop or producer who patterns themselves as some what different but still has a foot hold in the mainstream arena has gravitated to this techno hip hop euro house stuff that Timbo kinda spearheaded with Timberlakes album. Its like showing the audience...LOOK IM NOT LIKE THOSE GUYS OVER THERE! LISTEN TO THESE BEATS! IM DIFFERENT! its not always a bad thing on this album but theres one song in particular that sounds EXACTLY like a song Gorillaz would make. And the joints where Santos on it automatically give it this hipster indie rock type of sound to it. The song i liked instantly on here are "Paris, Tokoyo" and "Goldwatch: and "I die" which probably says alot about my hip hop taste cause they are the most traditional hip hop sounding. And in fact Paris Tokoyo sounds exactly like something that would be on Midnight Marauders which is kinda funny considering his history with Tribe comments.

Overall. I think with this being a concept album and being that it was made to listen to as a piece of work rather than instant pop pleasure. its gonna take a few more listens to uts entirety and for me to decipher exactly what hes talking about on some tracks to decide if i really like this or not.
December 11, 2007 @ 14:46:23 PM
^ cant listen to it at work right now, but thanks for the heads up, going to pick up the album the saem day as NYC concert. I'm really hoping that he rips it !!
December 11, 2007 @ 15:16:03 PM
love it :D
December 11, 2007 @ 15:38:05 PM
dope this cd hit me better than F&L did originally and I am a big Lupe Fan.

The last verse on Put you on the game could be the best verse of the year.
December 11, 2007 @ 15:40:24 PM
Originally posted by Inactive User
on the leak can you listen to the whole album or just snippts?

the whole thing, i think its censored though o.O... lupe doesnt swear that much anyway :p
December 11, 2007 @ 15:44:49 PM
best lyricist i heard hands down
December 11, 2007 @ 15:47:34 PM
Can anyone find a rip of this yet? It need to be on my Ipod.
December 11, 2007 @ 15:57:23 PM
on the leak can you listen to the whole album or just snippts?

the whole album, clean version

Listened to the whole album on The Leak all the way through. My initial reaction is...

Lupe is probably the most talented young MC that hip hop has heard at least since a young Nas jumped on the scene. On this album he's more esoteric and more experimental and in a darker place/ He's also lyrically on another plateu then he was on the first album. Which are all good things right? Well yes and no. Lupe is an extrodinary lyricist, he has a a huge command over vocabulary and double meaning. But at times it comes at you like a title wave and u can hardly concentrate on one thing he's saying. Then after a while it becomes a marvel of how many hard to understand metaphors and complicated rhyme structures he can fit into 16 bars rather than actually enjoying the actual song itself. And it doesnt reall help that most of the beats are a bit slower and draging then hes ever dealt with making u focus on the words rather than the beat. Which as i mentioned before is a chore within itself. Unless u enjoy having your mind go through a complex puzzle...which of course is not a bad thing but it can be distracting.

i disagree. yeah it'll take a few listens to catch every metaphor but most of the songs aren't too complex. it's his mixtape stuff that's really complex. these songs are pretty accessible. he's got a few heavy ones for people like myself who love that but for the most part he's not trying to go over people's heads.

i always hate getting it in one listen. albums like this have more replay value.

As far as production...Its obvious that every MC in hip hop or producer who patterns themselves as some what different but still has a foot hold in the mainstream arena has gravitated to this techno hip hop euro house stuff that Timbo kinda spearheaded with Timberlakes album. Its like showing the audience...LOOK IM NOT LIKE THOSE GUYS OVER THERE! LISTEN TO THESE BEATS! IM DIFFERENT! its not always a bad thing on this album but theres one song in particular that sounds EXACTLY like a song Gorillaz would make. And the joints where Santos on it automatically give it this hipster indie rock type of sound to it. The song i liked instantly on here are "Paris, Tokoyo" and "Goldwatch: and "I die" which probably says alot about my hip hop taste cause they are the most traditional hip hop sounding. And in fact Paris Tokoyo sounds exactly like something that would be on Midnight Marauders which is kinda funny considering his history with Tribe comments.

he's not trying to stand out w/the beats. he refused to use samples for the cool because the samples cost too much for F&L. these beats fit him. as for the gorillaz, he did an entire mixtape over a gorillaz album and he likes rock so it's not like he's forcing it.

i never got how people sampled tracks every song on a 16 song album. that's money/publishing you can keep.

i love samples but i think this sound works for him.
December 11, 2007 @ 19:17:18 PM
i'll wait...leaks spoil it for me
December 11, 2007 @ 19:40:51 PM
who produced what song?
December 11, 2007 @ 19:52:07 PM
I think Go Go Gadget Flow and Hip Hop Saved My Life are the standout tracks.
December 11, 2007 @ 20:24:08 PM

Inactive User

say what you wanna say about Lupe but when it comes down to the music the effort he puts in to his craft needs to be respected. Another dope album.
December 11, 2007 @ 20:28:00 PM
this is nice getting to listen to the cool but i preorder the album to so im getting it plus the shirt
December 11, 2007 @ 22:10:58 PM
INNNNTRUUUDERRRRR lol love that song .. alot of standout tracks man lupe doing his thing gotta cop on 18th
December 11, 2007 @ 22:33:56 PM
on the 15th i get to go to a listening party for the album>smh
December 11, 2007 @ 23:55:57 PM
Came out of the woodwork to say something:

This album was pleasant at first, but 19 tracks? gosh motherfucking damn it does drag on, yes it does, subculture you are completely right about that, it drags on and on and you kind of get like in this haze of lupe and the shit he's saying and you're like, "Man is this song going to end? Is he going to stop rapping like eminem?"

It's better than kanye's album for sure, but is it possible to overload on material? I doubt lupe fans would agree. I am not a lupe fan... but I do not dislike this album, I liked his first one and this one is a great sophomore. But I, unfortunately, do think you can overload on material and you got to cut some of that shit down for a commercial album (michael jackson wrote over 40 songs for the BAD album.)

I hope lupe fans understand the gift this man is giving you guys. He's helping to expand your musical diversity, so I hope you don't piss off the people who's toes you'll be stepping on.

The song I like the most on it is Goldwatch btw
December 12, 2007 @ 00:18:15 AM
out all the message boards I post at, I am getting favorite songs that are all almost different. Kinda interesting.
December 12, 2007 @ 00:30:20 AM
Hip hop saved my life is epic

some songs are so so

collab with snoop dogg was prolly a good move
December 12, 2007 @ 00:37:58 AM
its already leaked, and im dling atm so get to searching. Gonna bump this all day tomorow while studying for finals. Will post up a follow up on what it hink of it.
December 12, 2007 @ 03:02:15 AM
errmm what was i gonna say...dam i forgot, thinking about finals.....oh yea!

Lu gets extra geeky on this album, you all notice??? he wasn't this geeky on F&L, but here he is shouting out blogs, announcing "to be continued on my next album lup-end!" and then on hello goodbye he sounds geeky....but definately copping 2 copies on this joint blushing

AND IS IT JUST ME OR DID GEMINI GO INNNNNNNN?
December 12, 2007 @ 05:57:33 AM

Inactive User

the whole album, clean version

i disagree. yeah it'll take a few listens to catch every metaphor but most of the songs aren't too complex. it's his mixtape stuff that's really complex. these songs are pretty accessible. he's got a few heavy ones for people like myself who love that but for the most part he's not trying to go over people's heads.

i always hate getting it in one listen. albums like this have more replay value.

he's not trying to stand out w/the beats. he refused to use samples for the cool because the samples cost too much for F&L. these beats fit him. as for the gorillaz, he did an entire mixtape over a gorillaz album and he likes rock so it's not like he's forcing it.

i never got how people sampled tracks every song on a 16 song album. that's money/publishing you can keep.

i love samples but i think this sound works for him.

Listen.

I'd hardly be the one to start a Lupe debate on this site lol. I'll certainly lose.
But just to clarify. Im not saying Lupes subject matter is the extremely complicated thing. I've even said before that the concepts themselves are relitivaly easy to figure out. Rather its the bombardment of the several metaphors and double and triple entandras he's throws at u on any given verse. If u can say u figured that out on first listen...good for you. But i seriously doubt many people do and sometimes I think thats Lupes purpose, to make the listener dig deep on any given song which is a good thing. But, I highly doubt many people get it on first listen. And, the initial reaction that I'm seeing is the exact same one that i first typed from different early reviews I'm reading so its not like I'm pulling this shit outa the air to be a Lupe hater or some shit. I like Lupe...what I was saying was simply an observation.

Also, of course he's trying to stand out with the beats. For whatever reason it is...because he's not using any samples...cause they fit him...whatever. He's trying to stand out. Who wouldn't? It does help him stand out from the pack having different kinds of beats, and again thats a good thing. But, like I said before...this is the route alot of MCs who are signe dto major record labels who have a foot in the cutting edge department have. They are relying heavily on the synth heavy technoesque beats. Thats cool too. Art begats more art. And, I like it for what it is...just hoping it doesnt get overused. And, yeah I know he did the whole Rhyming Ape thing. Again, just more proof that he's been highly influenced by this trippy, hip hop, synth, rock , techno thing. Never said he was forcing it...
December 12, 2007 @ 10:22:06 AM
^^^sub i think i'm just reiterating your point but when i sit down i find myself trying to decipher the lyrics but end up missing the actual song. if i'm making any sense...and the weird thing is i havent had to do that for a looooong time. i'm really going to have to sit down and LISTEN to this album...
December 12, 2007 @ 10:39:24 AM

Inactive User

I'll tell u what.

Its obvious he's tried extremely hard to shake his "kick push" skateboarder image.
December 12, 2007 @ 10:46:02 AM
i may check it out but i hate his style... it seems like some lyrical masturbation... just making shit complex for the sake of making it complex.
December 12, 2007 @ 10:47:42 AM

Inactive User

^ lol

Thats what Ive been trying to say without actually saying it. Because I dont necessarily think that he's been complicated for the sake of being complicated. I actually think he's trying to say something and relay a meaning when he rhymes. but, sometimes its at the expense of being dissconnected with the listener. It becomes like....ok wheres he going with this.
December 12, 2007 @ 10:51:28 AM
Its obvious he's tried extremely hard to shake his "kick push" skateboarder image.

shit...mention lupe around my hood and automatically you hear "who that skateboarding N" lmao
December 12, 2007 @ 11:27:44 AM
who produced what song?

Not sure who produced what, but the FnF producers did most of the work. Also Mike Shinoda did two songs blushing, Intruder Alert and Fighters. Kanye did another and the neptunes also did one; although I believe that might have been just Chad rather than the whole neptunes.
December 12, 2007 @ 12:19:00 PM
i may check it out but i hate his style... it seems like some lyrical masturbation... just making shit complex for the sake of making it complex.

??? what's he supposed to do? dumb it down?

i think its fine, its his style, and not many can match him
December 12, 2007 @ 12:20:26 PM
I'll tell u what.

disagree. lupe doesn't care what others think. he has his fan base and he is satisfied.
Please login first to reply.
x