Yall niggas chasin dreams or money?

March 10, 2015 @ 12:20:58
Now yall's dreams could be of makin money. yall niggas doin jobs just for the money or because yall enjoy and the money will come later?
March 10, 2015 @ 12:54:29
Dreams. I'm broke, but happy
March 10, 2015 @ 14:07:39
I manage a football stadium and make decent money... It's a win win

I'm probably older and grumpier than you

March 10, 2015 @ 18:09:58
dmwalking
I've been spending years chasing money. And I can tell you that it sucks. When you chase money, no matter how much money you make, it's just never enough and work is unsatisfying. The stuff I buy makes me happy. Vacations make me happy. But I still have to dedicate 10 hours per day or more to a career that I'm not truly enjoying. I even looked down the line to how much more I would be making if I stick with it, and it still didn't make me happy. The vacations come once or twice a year. The material possessions lose their lustre. After a while dining out all the time feels like a waste of time and money. And even though those things are nice to have, I have to sacrifice 10 hours per day, 5 days a week to do something I don't care about just so I can have 3 hours per week night to myself and weekends to do things I enjoy. That's a LOT of time to give up just for money.

At this point in my life, I realize how valuable time is. I can always make more money, but I can't make more time. And giving up 10 hours a day on something that you don't enjoy just kind of slowly drains you.

Don't get me wrong, money is great. I love money. But I know that I'd be happier making less money if I were doing something I honestly enjoyed. Matter fact, I remember back when I was making less and doing what I loved and I was happier.

Pardon the rant. Just tryina warn y'all. Don't pursue a career for the dough. Pursue something that will make you happy. Take it from an old dude.

HB stands for Help Beast. Currently supporting the supportive movement.

March 10, 2015 @ 18:25:07
Tough to hear @dmwalking, ^ hope things get better for you. It's never too late to make a change in your life though.

I'm chasing my dreams right now. It undoubtedly will make me money but that's really not what I'm focused on, even though I love money.

x

March 10, 2015 @ 18:56:14
I've been spending years chasing money. And I can tell you that it sucks. When you chase money, no matter how much money you make, it's just never enough and work is unsatisfying. The stuff I buy makes me happy. Vacations make me happy. But I still have to dedicate 10 hours per day or more to a career that I'm not truly enjoying. I even looked down the line to how much more I would be making if I stick with it, and it still didn't make me happy. The vacations come once or twice a year. The material possessions lose their lustre. After a while dining out all the time feels like a waste of time and money. And even though those things are nice to have, I have to sacrifice 10 hours per day, 5 days a week to do something I don't care about just so I can have 3 hours per week night to myself and weekends to do things I enjoy. That's a LOT of time to give up just for money.

At this point in my life, I realize how valuable time is. I can always make more money, but I can't make more time. And giving up 10 hours a day on something that you don't enjoy just kind of slowly drains you.

Don't get me wrong, money is great. I love money. But I know that I'd be happier making less money if I were doing something I honestly enjoyed. Matter fact, I remember back when I was making less and doing what I loved and I was happier.

Pardon the rant. Just tryina warn y'all. Don't pursue a career for the dough. Pursue something that will make you happy. Take it from an old dude.
Wise words.  Seems like our entire society chases money and fame.  Money and fame really are all an illusion.  Material items are great but they don't make you happy.  It is never enough. 
March 10, 2015 @ 19:41:46
mind on my money and my money on mind

spend 5 days a week getting money in a shitty job and then 2 days putting in work into something i like
end goal is to make them 2 days turn into 5 days
whether its making music, flipping kicks or whatever
we're all gonna make it hb fam
don't lose the motivation - that's the most important thing

your girlfriend's vagina smells like bumble bee tuna

March 10, 2015 @ 20:21:25

From one old dude to another... I applaud you for that rant my friend... Although I do enjoy my job alot I work a ton like you do and lose precious time with my son and wife sometimes... Luckily I work in the evnt business and can just get them tickets and they can come hang out with me while I work but like days preparing for events when I am just in my office wasting away at my computer... don't get me wrong it's still a win win for me but your rant made me realize that my work life isn't much different from yours except I have to trade my weekends for weekdays sometimes.

I'm probably older and grumpier than you

March 10, 2015 @ 20:35:10

what do you do if you dont mind me asking

i only chase box logos
March 10, 2015 @ 20:36:20
chasin dreams money can buy
March 10, 2015 @ 21:24:04
dmwalking
I appreciate the kind words guys. This is actually a recent personal revelation. I've been cooling for a while just enjoying the money. Honestly, making money is cool until you kind of get numb to it. That's where I'm at now. When I started to really think long term, that's when I started realizing that I'm not really pursuing my passion. Helping rich people get richer just isn't my thing. So I'm working on switching gears, making some life changes, organizing my own thing, and getting involved in some extra activities on the side until I can put myself in position to do what I love full time.

The challenge is that I have expenses that I have to hold up with my current income. So i can't just drop everything and start fresh. But I can gradually make moves to reduce my expenses, and work toward new opportunities. It's gonna be a slow grind. And there's potential that I won't make as much money. But I know that I'll be a lot happier once I finally get in position.

That's my "warning." If you dig yourself deep enough into a career just for the dough, and you realize later that the dough isn't enough to really satisfy you, it's a LOT harder to switch careers later in life. You might have to go back to school. You might have to save up dough. You might have to take a paycut and down size your lifestyle. You might have to liquidate your 401K and take a risk to invest in yourself. When you're young and single, you have freedom to screw up. It's easier to rebuild when you're young. Your 20's are there for you to take big risks. Pursue your dreams. Pursue your passion. Because the older you get, and the more responsiblities you pick up, the harder it is to make moves.

My bad for ranting again. I'm just trying to offer some perspective. I mean, everyone's different. Some people really don't care what they do for work as long as they're getting money. Some people don't really have "dreams." Some people's dream IS to make lots of money. If that's the case, go for it. But if you do have dreams, invest your time in them while you're young. Money buys peace of mind. Money buys temporary happiness. But waking up and doing something you truly love....that gives lasting happiness.

March 10, 2015 @ 21:32:02
I appreciate the kind words guys. This is actually a recent personal revelation. I've been cooling for a while just enjoying the money. Honestly, making money is cool until you kind of get numb to it. That's where I'm at now. When I started to really think long term, that's when I started realizing that I'm not really pursuing my passion. Helping rich people get richer just isn't my thing. So I'm working on switching gears, making some life changes, organizing my own thing, and getting involved in some extra activities on the side until I can put myself in position to do what I love full time.

The challenge is that I have expenses that I have to hold up with my current income. So i can't just drop everything and start fresh. But I can gradually make moves to reduce my expenses, and work toward new opportunities. It's gonna be a slow grind. And there's potential that I won't make as much money. But I know that I'll be a lot happier once I finally get in position.

That's my "warning." If you dig yourself deep enough into a career just for the dough, and you realize later that the dough isn't enough to really satisfy you, it's a LOT harder to switch careers later in life. You might have to go back to school. You might have to save up dough. You might have to take a paycut and down size your lifestyle. You might have to liquidate your 401K and take a risk to invest in yourself. When you're young and single, you have freedom to screw up. It's easier to rebuild when you're young. Your 20's are there for you to take big risks. Pursue your dreams. Pursue your passion. Because the older you get, and the more responsiblities you pick up, the harder it is to make moves.

My bad for ranting again. I'm just trying to offer some perspective. I mean, everyone's different. Some people really don't care what they do for work as long as they're getting money. Some people don't really have "dreams." Some people's dream IS to make lots of money. If that's the case, go for it. But if you do have dreams, invest your time in them while you're young. Money buys peace of mind. Money buys temporary happiness. But waking up and doing something you truly love....that gives lasting happiness.
this is the realest thing I've ever read on here
March 10, 2015 @ 21:44:54
dmwalking
@oneallah

Marketing for a wealth management group. Helping rich people stay rich and get richer. It was fun while it lasted.

March 10, 2015 @ 22:05:39
I feel ya on that shit.  Somewhat of a counter rant but.... good friend of mine who is in his mid 30s recently told me how he regrets making his passion into a career.  He has always been way into mechanic stuff and cars.  He chased his dream and opened his own machine shop about 6 years ago.  I always thought he must love what he does and must be really happy.  Come to find out he actually really regrets making his passion/hobby into a job.  He said it has taken a lot of the fun out of his own personal projects and love for cars.  

He might be an exception to that "do what you love and love what you do" rule but still interesting.
Seems like us humans are always a bit lost at what we really want and what makes us happy.  
March 10, 2015 @ 22:26:05
dmwalking
I'm willing to bet that if he were working as an accountant, he wouldn't be singing that tune. Haha. I think his issues stem from the problems that come with owning your own business. Paperwork. Customers. Expenses. Taxes. It doesn't really let you focus on the part that you find the most fun. To counter your counter point, I have a friend who works on cars for a dealership and he loves it. He doesn't make as much as the owner, but he loves his job because he just gets to focus on the part he loves. Know what I mean?

March 10, 2015 @ 23:02:46
I'm willing to bet that if he were working as an accountant, he wouldn't be singing that tune. Haha. I think his issues stem from the problems that come with owning your own business. Paperwork. Customers. Expenses. Taxes. It doesn't really let you focus on the part that you find the most fun. To counter your counter point, I have a friend who works on cars for a dealership and he loves it. He doesn't make as much as the owner, but he loves his job because he just gets to focus on the part he loves. Know what I mean?
Makes sense.  There really is no golden rule to it.  However, I do believe If you can find your niche and true passion that is where you'll succeed/be your happiest.  Right now in my senior year of college and I'm not sure what the hell that passion is.  Trial and Error I suppose.  Can I ask...What are you looking or interesting in switching to career wise?
March 10, 2015 @ 23:21:06
Reading these posts are really making me reevaluate myself.  Currently studying Computer Science and Engineering in college.  Always been into tech stuff, grew up gaming as a kid.  I still think it's the right choice for me out of anything to study as I'm interested in the field, but sometimes I just get tired of hours coding school projects and imagine what its going to be like once I'm out doing this 5 days a week in a entry level job.  The money will be nice...and if I keep at it and prove myself will get into a management position hopefully.  Any engineering students would probably feel me on this feeling of just being drained from school and thinking what if this isn't what I'm supposed to be doing.  I don't know...life is crazy.
March 11, 2015 @ 01:09:23

+9000

The only mistake DM made is "slowly drains you." That should read "rapidly deteriorates you." Take it from a younger 23yr old dude going through the same situation DM is.

Always play the long game.
March 11, 2015 @ 01:51:55
REVS
DM is really dropping knowledge in here (as usual). 

I prefer carcinogens to endorphins.

March 11, 2015 @ 01:52:34
Both tbh. I'm tryna get into the CIA and shit bra on that james bond lifestyle
March 11, 2015 @ 02:08:12
Gilly Suits
DM, is telling you young ones the truth

Shit, my girl finally got her job at the hospital making good money and already hates the PA life. She was doing it for the money, but realizes now that she would be happier doing other stuff.
March 11, 2015 @ 02:14:54

I mean honestly the job market for a degree in shitty majors is weak af right now. I understand where u come from but to you guys out there choose something u like to do that makes $ as well. U dont wanna have a degree in some shitty major with loans and debts and work at Raley's. 
March 11, 2015 @ 02:17:31
honestly my dream is to start a clothing brand and sell it in the skateshop i own aslong as the skateshop is getting me OK money and i get to skate everyday i will be a happy person
March 11, 2015 @ 02:20:39
sort of like supreme but not as hyped and not making that much money but i would be fine with that
March 11, 2015 @ 02:29:51
I guess I'm just a scrooge... smh.
March 11, 2015 @ 02:39:27
Gotta stay true to the heart. Channel that passion into a  money-making endeavor.
March 11, 2015 @ 03:47:30
Reading these posts are really making me reevaluate myself.  Currently studying Computer Science and Engineering in college.  Always been into tech stuff, grew up gaming as a kid.  I still think it's the right choice for me out of anything to study as I'm interested in the field, but sometimes I just get tired of hours coding school projects and imagine what its going to be like once I'm out doing this 5 days a week in a entry level job.  The money will be nice...and if I keep at it and prove myself will get into a management position hopefully.  Any engineering students would probably feel me on this feeling of just being drained from school and thinking what if this isn't what I'm supposed to be doing.  I don't know...life is crazy.
I've been starting to think with the same mindset you have. I am going for computer engineering and right now I am only focusing on math and physics mainly. This quarter I slacked off in the beginning and I am worrying about passing now. On top of that I feel as if maybe I can't do this kind of work if I am already struggling. I know that practice makes perfect, but it seems like most students hardly study and do fine in every class. I don't know my plan is to just do these classes so I have them under my belt and decide along the way if I am cut out for this career.

WTB: Supreme Quilted Satin Bomber Sz: Med.

March 11, 2015 @ 04:51:51
I don't believe I have a passion I'm going after the money and just using that to invest in something else to make me more money.
March 11, 2015 @ 06:58:20
@dmwalking

got me all motivated and shit tbh. thx breh smokeyface
March 11, 2015 @ 08:47:08
DM, imma show that post to my future kids when they're deciding their careers. smokeyface
Please login first to reply.
x