Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
February 3, 2009 @ 05:39 PM

Inactive

SOmeone posted this in shitbocks lawl.
www.thevine.com.au/fashion/reviews/who-cares-what-you%27re-wearing-today.aspx

This morning when I woke up I had a cigarette (breakfast of champions), had a solid breakfast (of cigarettes and green tea), brushed my teeth and showered, then got dressed by looking through my wardrobe (on the ground) finding the cleanest (not smelly) clothes I could find.

For a new generation of individuals, getting dressed has become a task of wearing labels that represent "brand synergy" and define them as a person, their past present and future, they take photos upload to the interwebs and give the cyberworld a view of "what are you're wearing today".

So let's get all geek on this shit and breakdown a streetwear cultural phenomenon. "What are you wearing today?" (WAYWT) threads on streetwear forums abound. These threads began as like-dressed individuals posting to show their peers their outfits or "fits". Since then it has become a place where individuals can achieve approval, praise, and moreso, criticism.

It seems quite strange that people would go to such effort for validation of their own style (some even have small home studios). These consumers will research their brands, inlcuding the philosophy and integrity behind what they wear. Some could probably tell you more about supreme than James Jebbia himself.

Many, including myself, initially dismissed the online otaku community as nothing more than uber fashion streetwear 133t (geek speak for elite). But the community's place within the streetwear scene has become more relevant because of the instant feedback designers and labels can recieve about their ranges. Mostly the anonymity of the online community allows them to tell you exactly how hard your range sucked or how good it is. Bobby-Hundreds of The Hundreds and artists/labels like Nom de Guerre, Eric Brunetti of Fuct and Rogue Status have all posted on forums plugging their own wares.

This culture has its own celebrities who have gained e-fame like Suntori/Neek, Sahlan78, Milspec/deepsix. When there are leaders there are ofcourse followers. This can be noted when on different forums where said celebrities don't post they are noted as being the inspiration to other peoples "fits". The most curious nature of this all is that a lot of them are NOT gay, although if you didn't know any better you might be mistaken. How we've evolved.

Since then the inception forums around the world have like all things become more specific, here a small rundown:

superfuture which deals which more higher end streetwear and denim specific topics.
5th-d which has a core streetwear (otaku) vibe
styleforum which is a bit of this a bit of that but quite like superfuture
hypebeast self explanatory really, hypebeasts at their best .....

Here's a small streetwear glossary which took years of endless research in the finest institutes to translate:

fit - shortening of the word outfit, also refers to the actual fit of the clothes on your person
on point - when your fit is good
wack - your shit sucks
cop - to buy/acquire something
sag - wearing your jeans/pants low
epic - when something is really really really good
next level - when you have attained fashion nirvana
lurking - when you just look at forums and don't type anything

If you are planning on posting on WDYWT threads here some suggestions:
February 3, 2009 @ 05:45 PM
KUSH

sahlan78 is such a fag... he knows so much about supreme but he looks like hes 300 pounds and looks like hes never skated in his life
February 3, 2009 @ 05:52 PM

Inactive

whom?
February 3, 2009 @ 05:58 PM
thepaintedbird

lol... Nice article.
February 3, 2009 @ 06:28 PM
!OhYesHeDid!

good read
February 3, 2009 @ 06:32 PM

Inactive

Neek, DUm, Fearitself and other HB allstars in the pics section.
February 3, 2009 @ 06:53 PM
J.Huron

I get what the person who wrote it is saying in the last part, fair enough.

But the title 'Who cares what you're wearing today"...people that go on these websites.
Like if you couldn't give a shit about people's fits then you won't go onto the WDYWT thread. Everyone in those thread, lurking or posting - in one way or another has an interest in that.
But it's like that with any forum.

In MY opinion, I don't give a shit about the following:
-Forums relating to the Jonas Brothers
-Forums relating to American football
-Forums about skateboarding
-Forums on Honda Civic's.

There are PLENTY of people who care about the above, and i'm not knocking any of them (maybe Jonas bros) but it's just not in my interest to check them out.
I just don't care- period. But it doesn't mean those things aren't popular.
You can write an article like that on anything you think is ghey.

It was a nice article, but I think the subject matter is completely subjective.
February 3, 2009 @ 06:56 PM

Inactive

Yeah but arent all opinions?
February 3, 2009 @ 06:59 PM
J.Huron

Yeah but arent all opinions?

Exactly. There are always gonna be people who love something and another bunch of people who hate the exact same thing.
Moaning on the internet is like rocking in a rocking chair. You can do it all day but it aint gonna get you anywhere.

But it was a good read smile
February 3, 2009 @ 07:00 PM
nucky

sad that iss wasn't mentioned, worst than hb most of the time
February 3, 2009 @ 07:01 PM

Inactive

Yeah but if people lived by that motto no one would have ever written an opinion article in a newspaper or spoken out cause they had a different opinion.

Listen, I dont even agree with the article. Obviously Im on HB and I like it here. I just posted it cause ut mentioned Hypebeast and had some HB member photos.
February 3, 2009 @ 07:09 PM
ThePepperSkull

I lol'd. Hopefully this puts the haters into perspective. Is hating on and/or spending so much time on forums like this productive? In reality it's no different from any other online community. Wasting all of your time and effort being e-hard and knowing a lot about a hype brand is just like being a level 97 dark elf wizard on World Of Warcraft: When you look at what you've achieved and take the time to do some introspection and contrast that online presence with your real life accomplishments, you begin to question WHY you fucking do it. It isn't productive.

At the same time, I will say this: What's even equally as pathetic are the people on here who make fun of or are critical of the people who either post or flame in the WDYWT. the general consensus from these critics is that ALL of them posting are losers who have nothing better to do than post pics of ourselves, yet they themselves CONSTANTLY take the time to keep saying that shit. over. and over. and over. They need to re-evaluate their lives just as much.

I think the reality of this is that both viewpoints are bullshit and not everyone takes this shit seriously. Yes, the clothing may be closely related or connected or to a certain subculture (punk, hip-hop, skateboarding, etc), but MOST of us realize that buying these clothes are NOT causal indicators of being part of said subcultures. Just because you wear supreme won't instantly make you a dope skateboarder who's been on the scene since the mid 90's. If you believe so then you're just buying into a culture, or are being a brand whore as opposed to a clothing enthusiast (which in contrast is not bad. I mean, everyone needs a hobby). It's imperative to remember that clothing is temporary. eventually it washes to the point where it's unwearable, or simply it goes out of style, and then what are you left with? a vacant, damn near nonexistant personality.

To sum up, People who take fits too seriously need to lighten up, people who make fun of people who take fits seriously need to lighten up, both need to remember that this is a temporary thing and that obsessing over either fits or people obsessed with fits is clearly unhealthy. A hobby is one thing, an obsession is completely different. be sure you don't cross the line into obsession.

/endrant.
February 3, 2009 @ 07:13 PM

Inactive

Jesus
February 3, 2009 @ 07:17 PM
J.Huron

Yeah but if people lived by that motto no one would have ever written an opinion article in a newspaper or spoken out cause they had a different opinion.

Listen, I dont even agree with the article. Obviously Im on HB and I like it here. I just posted it cause ut mentioned Hypebeast and had some HB member photos.

I feel you man, I wasn't having a go at you bro, I was only giving my 2 cents on the article.
I'm just saying, people ranting on sites like that online don't mean anything.
I'm down with speaking your mind etc and voicing your opinion. But when someone picks something as generic as "the content on a forum" then the point made becomes redunant- as in there are thousands of forums to pick up on and agree with or disagree with. Ya dig?
February 3, 2009 @ 07:19 PM
ThePepperSkull

Jesus

Why do your single-word posts always sum up what I think perfectly? that big post I made could have been summed up with a simple "Jesus", lol.
February 3, 2009 @ 07:21 PM
rtst102

i like the fact that styleforum got in his article over iss
February 3, 2009 @ 07:23 PM
krn_zmb

haha YES! im on there!

why couldnt they have chosen a better pic =/... that shit is like 2 years old haha
February 3, 2009 @ 07:25 PM
rtst102

^hey, it's better than neek's photo...
February 3, 2009 @ 07:33 PM
araw at bituin

haha sportfreak!!

http://instagram.com/qyel

February 3, 2009 @ 07:35 PM
ThePepperSkull

Wow @ the fit on the left. Nice. and LOL at the fit on the right.
February 3, 2009 @ 07:50 PM
TL

wat
February 3, 2009 @ 08:23 PM
futtttt

no franalations?
February 3, 2009 @ 08:47 PM
that dude

suspended

Neek, DUm, Fearitself and other HB allstars in the pics section.

jacobuh is in there too &)
February 3, 2009 @ 08:50 PM
that dude

suspended

I lol'd. Hopefully this puts the haters into perspective. Is hating on and/or spending so much time on forums like this productive? In reality it's no different from any other online community. Wasting all of your time and effort being e-hard and knowing a lot about a hype brand is just like being a level 97 dark elf wizard on World Of Warcraft: When you look at what you've achieved and take the time to do some introspection and contrast that online presence with your real life accomplishments, you begin to question WHY you fucking do it. It isn't productive.

At the same time, I will say this: What's even equally as pathetic are the people on here who make fun of or are critical of the people who either post or flame in the WDYWT. the general consensus from these critics is that ALL of them posting are losers who have nothing better to do than post pics of ourselves, yet they themselves CONSTANTLY take the time to keep saying that shit. over. and over. and over. They need to re-evaluate their lives just as much.

I think the reality of this is that both viewpoints are bullshit and not everyone takes this shit seriously. Yes, the clothing may be closely related or connected or to a certain subculture (punk, hip-hop, skateboarding, etc), but MOST of us realize that buying these clothes are NOT causal indicators of being part of said subcultures. Just because you wear supreme won't instantly make you a dope skateboarder who's been on the scene since the mid 90's. If you believe so then you're just buying into a culture, or are being a brand whore as opposed to a clothing enthusiast (which in contrast is not bad. I mean, everyone needs a hobby). It's imperative to remember that clothing is temporary. eventually it washes to the point where it's unwearable, or simply it goes out of style, and then what are you left with? a vacant, damn near nonexistant personality.

To sum up, People who take fits too seriously need to lighten up, people who make fun of people who take fits seriously need to lighten up, both need to remember that this is a temporary thing and that obsessing over either fits or people obsessed with fits is clearly unhealthy. A hobby is one thing, an obsession is completely different. be sure you don't cross the line into obsession.

/endrant.

troof
February 3, 2009 @ 09:15 PM
rimwalka

no franalations?

I think that's Franalations on the left
February 3, 2009 @ 09:28 PM
w)entandrew

lol. this article is unequivocally misinforming

Forum Administrator • @HOYITSDREW

February 3, 2009 @ 09:32 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

it really is pretty stupid and vain, but I mean, is it really that big of a deal? As long as it's just something you do then it's cool, but I mean it's pretty ridiculous when people spend all of their money (or parent's money) on clothes so that they can appeal to people they've never even met.

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

February 6, 2009 @ 11:15 AM
Rizzo

some lovely examples they chose there.
February 6, 2009 @ 12:09 PM

Inactive

Jesus

you said it man! nobody fucks with da jesus
February 6, 2009 @ 12:24 PM
saurier

Yep it really is as simple as all that

a huge congregation of people from all over the world, are all gay and all yearn for acceptance.

Yep.

http://saurierco.com ///////////////////// Molosser Rex

Please login first to reply.