Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
January 15, 2009 @ 05:15 PM
!OhYesHeDid!

I know this is a touchy subject but I dont give a funk I want to talk about it. What are y'all opinions on the word? Hype Beast is a pretty diverse site so I figure it'd be best to talk about here.

Here's I stand with it. I say the word and I say it a lot. I dont mean to say it so much but its hard not to say something thats culturally entwined in my people. I also understand the roots of the word and I also understand the way black people flipped the word and made it a term of endermeant. However just cause its a term of endermeant there is also a dark history behind the word. That can not be compared to any word in the American language.

I personally think its amazing how the word has changed. I mean blacks took the word Negro(meaning posession) then took the word Niigger meaning a ignorant black person and changed it into Niigga meaning your a friend. I find it nice.

So whats yall opinion on it?
January 15, 2009 @ 05:16 PM
Danielle

Doesn't hurt at all; plus I say it all the time.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:21 PM
M@ss Appeal

I say it all the time. My only issue is when suburban white kids use it among their groups of friends, that is when I get heated. Honestly most will say it sounds hypocritical but simply put they can't use the word it's not theirs nor will it ever be. You're right black people did flip the meaning and for that very reason black people should be the only ones to use it, it's a part of modern black culture however much people want to deny it and it seems like it's here to stay so I say embrace it. The old heads are going to always view the word as vulgar but soon over time many won't remember that the word was bad at all, we black youth are the forerunners.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:22 PM
JKISSI

Some good responses in here.

Even though the word has been changed into something it was not at first. No one that is not of color will call me "nigga" and i wont say something about it or confront you. It's also funny because some people get instant passes like Puerto Ricans & Dominicans in NYC because it's like we pretty much grew up with them. I dont care thats just me though there's so many other words to use. I mean online its pretty much whatever I see it all the time on here, but in real life it wouldn't fly with me. I only use it with certain people I would never call a white person my nigga or anything I would just say son or something. I use it frequently , but at the sametime I have been saying it since as early as elementary school. It's pretty much apart of black culture.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:23 PM
JayLovesPinays

It's stupid. I don't use the word purposely, sometimes it manages to come out when I'm angry though. I hate that we try to use the word as a form of endearment, but when an outsider calls us a nigger, all hell breaks loose. Stop trying to "turn an offensive word, into some positive". I don't care how you pronounce it, or how you spell it. Nigga & Nigger is the same thing. I think if a lot of our current generation actually knew the pain behind the word, the same pain our ancestors felt when it was used, I don't think we'd go around using it.

Also, the logic behind "it's our word, white people can't use it" is retarded. If you really want to get technical, white people created the word. And because I believe it matters, yes I am black. If anyone wants to argue with me, you're more than welcome. Just don't blame me for not being a conformist.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:26 PM
Darter

I find it ridiculous that it's exclusively used by blacks, like lets fight for equality but not let anyone use "our" word. Even if I could, why would I say it. Why would I want to take a word from the vocabulary of people who hung blacks and hated them. It's laughable when people call others ***** when its the same thing a racist would say when they saw a black guy. If someone uses it in front of me I don't really care but I do think it's stupid to use it.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:28 PM
JayLovesPinays

Do you guys really snap on a person not of color, when they call you it?

No. I don't because I'm from the south & usually when someone not of color (specifically a white person) calls me the word, it's to offend me. The word only has as much power as I give it.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:29 PM
TerenDelvonJones

im reading huck finn right now

he says ****** a lot
January 15, 2009 @ 05:30 PM
JKISSI

Do you guys really snap on a person not of color, when they call you it?

I wouldnt call it snapping, more like straighting them out by confronting them. Not in a fighting way either its more like trying to drop some knowledge but if he/she gets it to the snapping/violence level its not my fault.

This topic is so touchy because a black person could be cool with anyone saying it, while others will basically punch you in your face if someone white or not black says it. It's not a black/white thing with this so much gray area.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:31 PM
JKISSI

No. I don't because I'm from the south & usually when someone not of color (specifically a white person) calles me the word, it's to offend me. The word only has as much power as I give it.

Yeah I could see it in the South be completly different because its pretty much still real obvious racial tension down there.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:32 PM
!OhYesHeDid!

My issue is when white people and other races tell me I shouldnt say the word cause they cant. Like I see people on the tube constantly saying the word should be abolished,but the ones saying it are usually white people and other races. They'll bring a civil rights black person on the show to agree but I mean wtf do you expect?
January 15, 2009 @ 05:33 PM
the x bassmint

No. I don't because I'm from the south & usually when someone not of color (specifically a white person) calles me the word, it's to offend me. The word only has as much power as I give it.

good shit man
January 15, 2009 @ 05:33 PM
strafe

it's a part of black culture...
January 15, 2009 @ 05:34 PM
!OhYesHeDid!

I say it all the time. My only issue is when suburban white kids use it among their groups of friends, that is when I get heated. Honestly most will say it sounds hypocritical but simply put they can't use the word it's not theirs nor will it ever be. You're right black people did flip the meaning and for that very reason black people should be the only ones to use it, it's a part of modern black culture however much people want to deny it and it seems like it's here to stay so I say embrace it. The old heads are going to always view the word as vulgar but soon over time many won't remember that the word was bad at all, we black youth are the forerunners.

Exactly I've checked white dudes around my neighborhood for this and when I do it I'm considered crazy. I get heated over it all the time.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:35 PM
JKISSI

[SIZE="3"]Just pointing out right now its a good topic if anyone comes in trying to flame not contributing to the topic will have to infrac people .

All sides will speak . [/SIZE]
January 15, 2009 @ 05:39 PM
sh3liqu3

Hmmm... I dunno.
For example rappers and such say the word all the time, and say they perform live at shows/concerts in some places where the majority of the audience may be white. How can we be mad at white people for using it when we using it all the time.
And in regards to when other races say the word to me it really does depend how comfortable i am with them.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:41 PM
JKISSI

^ Yeah samething I think Nas was talking about he went to like Sweden and he was performing and he just noticed that everyone was reciting his rhymes and of course those rhymes contain the words nigga and such. I guess they would say a music concert is a music concert and greeting or talking to others is something completly different.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:41 PM
ends!

It sounds silly in a scottish accent.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:43 PM
!OhYesHeDid!

Hmmm... I dunno.
For example rappers and such say the word all the time, and say they perform live at shows/concerts in some places where the majority of the audience may be white. How can we be mad at white people for using it when we using it all the time.
And in regards to when other races say the word to me it really does depend how comfortable i am with them.

We'll white people shouldnt use Hip Hop as a reflection of the black community. Thats what pisses me off cause these suburban kids who know little about the black culture use the word as if theyre educated on black people.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:46 PM
360waves

i think only us african americans should use it
January 15, 2009 @ 05:48 PM
Super Nintendo Chalmers

I know this is a touchy subject but I dont give a funk I want to talk about it. What are y'all opinions on the word? Hype Beast is a pretty diverse site so I figure it'd be best to talk about here.

Here's I stand with it. I say the word and I say it a lot. I dont mean to say it so much but its hard not to say something thats culturally entwined in my people. I also understand the roots of the word and I also understand the way black people flipped the word and made it a term of endermeant. However just cause its a term of endermeant there is also a dark history behind the word. That can not be compared to any word in the American language.

I personally think its amazing how the word has changed. I mean blacks took the word Negro(meaning posession) then took the word Niigger meaning a ignorant black person and changed it into Niigga meaning your a friend. I find it nice.

So whats yall opinion on it?

pretty much...

Some good responses in here.

Even though the word has been changed into something it was not at first. No one that is not of color will call me "nigga" and i wont say something about it or confront you. It's also funny because some people get instant passes like Puerto Ricans & Dominicans in NYC because it's like we pretty much grew up with them. I dont care thats just me though there's so many other words to use. I mean online its pretty much whatever I see it all the time on here, but in real life it wouldn't fly with me. I only use it with certain people I would never call a white person my nigga or anything I would just say son or something. I use it frequently , but at the sametime I have been saying it since as early as elementary school. It's pretty much apart of black culture.

Pretty much.

Although I will admit, when i get amped up, i do use the term nig ger with the R to describe the personas of negative black stereotypes in the media.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:50 PM
Darter

We'll white people shouldnt use Hip Hop as a reflection of the black community. Thats what pisses me off cause these suburban kids who know little about the black culture use the word as if theyre educated on black people.

To me this will just result in the argument on the WAYWT chat thread with who has the right to listen to public enemy.

As I said before there shouldn't be exclusives to one race. I understand how stupid it is when a rich white kid says it but to me it's still stupid for a black guy to say it. Just because it was used against you why is it "your word". I'm white and if I was black I still would never use that word and I dought the reason others want the word abolished is because they want to use it and they feel left out. Also, how often do you hear Asians saying shit like "hey my Ch!nk" or Mexicans saying "beaner what!"
January 15, 2009 @ 05:54 PM
!OhYesHeDid!

To me this will just result in the argument on the WAYWT chat thread with who has the right to listen to public enemy.

As I said before there shouldn't be exclusives to one race. I understand how stupid it is when a rich white kid says it but to me it's still stupid for a black guy to say it. Just because it was used against you why is it "your" word. I'm white and if I was black I still would never use that word and I dought the reason others want the word abolished is because they want to use it and they feel left out. Also, how often do you hear Asians saying shit like "hey my *****" or Mexicans saying "beaner what!"

I dont care what other races call each other,if they had a word exclusive to their culture and asked me to not use it I would respect it. So why cant other races? I mean black people are already imitated by far the most of any race in this country,but people dont wanna fully accept actual black people.

How about this black people say fine other races use the word,but if you do you gotta deal with all the racism that comes with it. If people wanna do what black peple do then let them be treated like black people.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:55 PM
The Main Event

I'm white, I don't say it often. My black friends have said it is fine if I say it, they really don't care much about it. Typically I'll just greet them with son, homie, etc. They might think its ok, but I can respect that black culture as a whole doesn't really accept it so I don't say it. I mean if a song is on and we rappin to it then yeah I'll say it, but I don't use it in conversation.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:56 PM
Super Nintendo Chalmers

i still feel uncomfortable when i hear white people say it though. Lemme draw an analogy.

In the puerto rican dialect, hood dudes who are familiar with eachother call eachother cabron. Mind you cabron is like one of the most offensive words in our language/dialect. Nigggas have literally been shot over that word. But here you have dudes calling eachother cabron like it's nothing. But if someone outside of their circle would say it, they'd spaz. Why?

Cuz you don't know them. They haven't given you the right to use that word with them.

So i see it the same way with the N word. I say niggga a lot. I'm from NY...that's just how it is. But when i go down south, to like GA to visit fam, if i say it, some don't even notice...others are uncomfortable...so i don't say it.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:58 PM
Darter

I dont care what other races call each other,if they had a word exclusive to their culture and asked me to not use it I would respect it. So why cant other races? I mean black people are already imitated by far the most of any race in this country,but people dont wanna fully accept actual black people.

How about this black people say fine other races use the word,but if you do you gotta deal with all the racism that comes with it. If people wanna do what black peple do then let them be treated like black people.

I never said blacks should let others use the word I said no one should use the word. I don't feel blacks are the most imitated, maybe amongst teens 12-19 if your talking about music and fashion.
January 15, 2009 @ 05:59 PM
Super Nintendo Chalmers

As I said before there shouldn't be exclusives to one race. I understand how stupid it is when a rich white kid says it but to me it's still stupid for a black guy to say it. Just because it was used against you why is it "your word". I'm white and if I was black I still would never use that word and I dought the reason others want the word abolished is because they want to use it and they feel left out. Also, how often do you hear Asians saying shit like "hey my Ch!nk" or Mexicans saying "beaner what!"

damn yo, i guess people missed the point of that discussion. It's not about having the right to listen..it's a free world...listen to what you want...but at least show some respect....
January 15, 2009 @ 06:01 PM
Darter

damn yo, i guess people missed the point of that discussion. It's not about having the right to listen..it's a free world...listen to what you want...but at least show some respect....

That comment was only directed towards T.K.I.S.'s comment on white kids listening to rap, and how they use it to be apart of something they aren't.

EDIT: Anyone can listen to w/e they want IMO
January 15, 2009 @ 06:02 PM
kitren2

I'm white. I say it. Just not around black people that find it offensize. One of my black friends doesn't care so I call him nig all the time.
January 15, 2009 @ 06:03 PM
TerenDelvonJones

first amendment. whoever wants to use it can use it.

however, the usage of it is at the discretion of the user.

its only a word.

with a lot of history.

everyone has the right to listen to public enemy...

Please login first to reply.