College Discussion Thread.

April 14, 2012 @ 21:32:42
Originally posted by Inactive User
can anybody tell me whats so appealing about business besides money?...who is truly passionate about business?

Some people I know love following the markets, trading, analysis. I admit that it's interesting to see how so many different factors affect the markets. It's really a game of risk.

They say those who are in it for the money won't last long. That may be true, but there are some people I've met who are mostly in it for the money, if not having a little bit of interest in what they're doing.
April 14, 2012 @ 21:45:55
@ powerball.

(My most serious answer on this account actually)

USC is a respectable university, but it is definitely not a top 10 Undergraduate Business school. Outside of the Los Angeles area, USC is not too well known. It is a good school, I give you that, and you can start your future out there very well. But to say it is a top 10 business school would be a fallacy.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash USC. I applied to USC as well out of my senior year of highschool and thought about my future if I were to attend USC as opposed to attending another more known brand name school. I had a full ride to USC (my family is not too rich, plus scholarship), but in the end decided I would not attend the school. The trojan family is strong in southern california, but I also intend to work business out of California and eventually I decided to go to a NorCal school instead.

horrible advice
April 14, 2012 @ 21:48:25
jaded
@ powerball.

(My most serious answer on this account actually)

USC is a respectable university, but it is definitely not a top 10 Undergraduate Business school. Outside of the Los Angeles area, USC is not too well known. It is a good school, I give you that, and you can start your future out there very well. But to say it is a top 10 business school would be a fallacy.

I don't know where its business school ranks, but USC is definitely a well known university. U.S. News ranks it 23rd in the United States. It has been around since 1880.

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

This post is hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

April 14, 2012 @ 22:57:31
just won a FAT scholarship for writing a 2page paper puahaha. i dont get the money till another 4 months though.

sure. but the tuition and opportunity cost of going to b-school is just not worth it unless you can't get into a top school. the payoff just doesn't make sense.

the tuition of a b-school is a fraction of a top 20 school doe

i think a top 20 mba school is something people in finance/IB and executives should look into. for things such as management or IT, I dont think it matters all that much as long as your school has a relatively reputable program.
Originally posted by Inactive User
can anybody tell me whats so appealing about business besides money?...who is truly passionate about business?

the idea of starting a venture capital or coordinating the operations of a business/project as well as taking on the risks and making decisions that will maximize the firm's interests, is very rewarding in itself imo and is not necessarily about money
April 14, 2012 @ 23:05:24
jaded
i think a top 20 mba school is something people in finance/IB and executives should look into.

I think if you work for a big enough business, getting into a top MBA program takes very little effort on the executives behalf. I would imagine that a lot of the big financial institutions in the US have connections to top MBA programs for their executives.

April 14, 2012 @ 23:06:33
Don't get me wrong guys, USC is a really great school. I do agree it is a top 25, just not top 10. That was my main point this whole ordeal. Yes USC is 23 in US News, and I'm sure it won't be there for long. This last year we've seen a drop of admission rates from ~2x to ~18, so it is most definitely climbing the charts at a fast rate. Yes USC is prestigious. I do not disagree with that.

I have plenty of friends at USC Marshall right now and I've been to many of their parties (28th street heh). I just wanted to disagree with it being top 10. I'm not too sure how US News rank top 10 undergraduate business programs because I'm sure Cornell does not have a business undergraduate program (closest is economics). I am a bit shocked that Stanford is not on the list because it is near one of the biggest entrepreneurial area in California, the Silicon Valley and there are plenty of opportunities there. Although I also believe USC I heard somewhere USC is ranked 1 for entrepreneurship? Anyways I chose stanford, said so a few posts up. It's a chill school.

Edit: Also very interested in B-School, so keep those posts coming. Grades aren't doing so well so I doubt I'd be able to make it into Stanford again for B-School...

This post is hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

April 14, 2012 @ 23:11:57
It does not. MS&E management science is what it is.
April 14, 2012 @ 23:12:34
i think a top 20 mba school is something people in finance/IB and executives should look into.

I think if you work for a big enough business, getting into a top MBA program takes very little effort on the executives behalf. I would imagine that a lot of the big financial institutions in the US have connections to top MBA programs for their executives.

You still need to impress the school with what you did during your undergrad years and how well you score GMAT. that is even more important imo. even if you work for merrill & lynch, you wont get into stanford mba programs with a 2.5gpa.

rankings are mostly a bunch of marketing bs though but it apparently works very well. probably not the same case for law schools though.
April 14, 2012 @ 23:17:19
Pretty sure you won't get hired at Merrill Lynch with a 2.5.
Getting an interview at a big name company requires a good GPA first.

Edit: On the topic of MBA, going to a top tier school is obviously the best option is you can get in and afford it. But there's nothing wrong with going to a lesser known school. One of my cousin's fraternity bro went to some state school for his MBA but that was only because he worked in a small city and the company he worked at wanted him to get an MBA so he went to the closest school and worked full time, school part time, got tuition and books covered by his company and even got extra money from the company he works at.

My garbage can eats better than 99% of the world.

April 14, 2012 @ 23:17:43
^Yeah rankings are pretty much a bunch of BS. The opportunities you get at a top 10 school wouldn't vary too much.

April 14, 2012 @ 23:23:14
as long as you're at a reputable business school or a reputable school regardless of major, if you have a 3.7+ gpa+ you can score an ibanking internship and job.

pretty sure you will have to be in finance, accounting, or econ... id imagine it's pretty hard to get into IB as a marketing major.

in my field though (IT) and many other technical fields, gpa matters very little after your first job/internship unless you want to go to grad school of course

April 15, 2012 @ 00:32:54
lol things i dont know about? i go to a top 10 undergrad business school, where do you go fag? stop reading shit online when i've actually talked to mba professors about their opinions on this shit. fuck out of here

lol usc would be a safety school for me. stop talking so much shit.

April 15, 2012 @ 01:41:19
im a junior transfer...i don't even want to continue this and won't respond again.
April 15, 2012 @ 01:45:48
jaded
i've heard of people majoring in engineering getting jobs in IB. my friend who majored in math and comp sci also got a job in IB. as long as you're smart and hard working people will hire you even for a position in IB.

They like to see a strong math background. UC Berkeley has a Masters in Financial Engineering and most of the kids who get accepted into it aren't finance majors, they are engineering, mathematics, computer science, etc.

April 15, 2012 @ 02:02:40
jaded
If you ever want to feel inferior, go read the bios on the current students in the UC Berkeley Masters of Financial Engineering program on the website.

April 15, 2012 @ 03:01:00
got accepted into st johns and i didnt/dont do shit in high school. i guess if your black and hispanic thats like an auto acceptance

pink like hamilton

April 15, 2012 @ 03:43:53
St. Johns accepts anyone breh

burr

April 15, 2012 @ 03:50:05
they accepted J. Cole
April 15, 2012 @ 04:51:47
well dam

pink like hamilton

April 15, 2012 @ 05:05:03
My nigga Ron Artest. St Johns alumni. nuff said.
April 15, 2012 @ 07:24:08
of course i am bias as i work in the field

me too. went to USC and i see theres some talk about it here. if you want to work in socal, USC is def a good bet. sure kids from ivies will have an easier time but most of them will recruit for NY (and plus not everyone can get in those schools like me)

ive been working 70 avg for just monday-friday and plus weekends which the hours there vary on deal flow. yes i know many ppl work more than me but this def isnt my idea of 'fun'. i just hope there is light at the end of the tunnel
April 15, 2012 @ 07:38:29
Just submitted my SIR to Davis. Dat engineering major.
April 15, 2012 @ 07:44:57
calpoly bound. anyone else?

lol wut

April 15, 2012 @ 07:58:51
ucrbound
Please login first to reply.
x