College Discussion Thread.

This post is hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

April 12, 2012 @ 23:11:34
^read this thread and stop posting about things you don't know about

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/lowest-ranked-mba-you-would-attend

2 posts are hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

April 13, 2012 @ 03:45:03
Stanford

Living at Munger, anyone down to kick it hit me up.
April 13, 2012 @ 04:04:52
Originally posted by Inactive User
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ucla-apologizes-for-admissions-error.html

ucla accidentally accept over 900 students that were on the wait list lol

lol i got an email yesterday from my school saying i got a grant of $2000 my spring quarter of 2006 (wtf?). Got an email today saying it was a mistake. The fuck do schools let this shit happen? i aint even mad doe, still gettin 12k a year in scholarships

All I do is smoke weed and play jazz

April 13, 2012 @ 04:05:33
lol at accidental emoticon^

All I do is smoke weed and play jazz

April 13, 2012 @ 10:58:45
lol things i dont know about? i go to a top 10 undergrad business school, where do you go fag? stop reading shit online when i've actually talked to mba professors about their opinions on this shit. fuck out of here
Aren't you one of the ppl that go to usc here? It's high on the rankings but pretty sure it's not top 10.

My garbage can eats better than 99% of the world.

April 13, 2012 @ 14:42:56
Stanford

Living at Munger, anyone down to kick it hit me up.

I have a friend posted in Palo Alto.

"Rap in 2012 is basically just a mad dash for people of EVERY human subset to be represented by a rapper." - damnwitless1

This post is hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

April 13, 2012 @ 18:02:09
^^^have fun with the debt fam.

April 13, 2012 @ 19:42:42
^^must be nice going to school in sunny socal

April 13, 2012 @ 19:56:04
lol things i dont know about? i go to a top 10 undergrad business school, where do you go fag? stop reading shit online when i've actually talked to mba professors about their opinions on this shit. fuck out of here

esse is right though...outside of top 10 or 15 is not worth it if your looking to get into high finance or consulting. of course those are not the only ops after mba, but those are the most well paid. and taking into account how inflated business school tuition is these days, it just isnt worth it to drop 60k+ on bschool if you are not gunning for fat coin after. doing an mba is not about learning; it is 95% brand recognition and making connections, the two most important things in the business world.

April 13, 2012 @ 20:52:33
true unknown mba is better than no mba, but getting into a incredibly competitive field like consulting (management consulting), ibd at a bank, investment funds, etc, will be extremely difficult from a 2nd tier mba. obviously nothing is impossible but it will be near impossible and make your life very hard. bottom line is if you can't get into a top mba program and you want to get into MBB, mega funds, bulge bracket, even just a well known firm, etc, it is better to take those gmats again or get some more work experience before accepting a spot at a second rate mba program
April 14, 2012 @ 06:51:51
Thanks guys for the input/feedback. It really helps to ease my nerves when making decisions.

HB 325 PostHardcore/Metalcore/MelodicHardcore/Punk/PopPunk/ Skacore

April 14, 2012 @ 06:56:04
Just committed to CSUF. A little hesitant to go, since it was like my 4th choice, but I'm a bit excited. Can any current/former students tell me how it's like at Fullerton? I've already heard that it's a major commuter school, but there has to be some semblance of a social scene...right? Any other benefits from going to this school?

Anyone???

Csuf is one of the four impacted csu's, with sdsu, pomona, and long beach included. I heard the party scene there is pretty good. For filipinos, Friendship games is a wild event. Orgs from all over CA come to rage, but again it's full of bop ass pinoys. It's located in a pretty good area too, there's a shit ton of food places. I go to SDSU, and I have a few friends there who I haven't heard any complaints from aside from being homesick. I honestly wish I got into Fullerton instead of SDSU, but to each his own.

friendship games was sick, did you go?

slooooo
April 14, 2012 @ 07:04:53
I'm planning to attend UCSC but it's pretty expensive...how do you guys plan to pay off your loans beside work-study and scholarship? I want have enough money saved to pay most of it off by the time I graduate.
April 14, 2012 @ 07:07:20
jaded

esse is right though...outside of top 10 or 15 is not worth it if your looking to get into high finance or consulting. of course those are not the only ops after mba, but those are the most well paid. and taking into account how inflated business school tuition is these days, it just isnt worth it to drop 60k+ on bschool if you are not gunning for fat coin after. doing an mba is not about learning; it is 95% brand recognition and making connections, the two most important things in the business world.

Not picking on you specifically, but this is the problem with business students. I was on a MBA forum the other day and every other thread was "How much money will I make if I get into Investment Banking", "How much money will I make if I get into Consulting", etc. I hope you younger guys aren't picking what you study based solely on a potential paycheck, because you're setting yourselves up for a miserable life with a lot of disappointment. The hours people put in doing investment banking and consulting aren't even worth the paycheck, but that's something most people probably don't even bother to consider.

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

April 14, 2012 @ 07:29:48
got 30,195.00 from UCSC... says estimated cost of attending (including room&board) would be approx. 30,195.00 lol... any idea how accurate this is? About $8k will be loans, though I have a small chunk of money saved up, so I'm not stressing too bad.

April 14, 2012 @ 19:08:11

Not picking on you specifically, but this is the problem with business students. I was on a MBA forum the other day and every other thread was "How much money will I make if I get into Investment Banking", "How much money will I make if I get into Consulting", etc. I hope you younger guys aren't picking what you study based solely on a potential paycheck, because you're setting yourselves up for a miserable life with a lot of disappointment. The hours people put in doing investment banking and consulting aren't even worth the paycheck, but that's something most people probably don't even bother to consider.

this is true, people should not try to break into banking for the money. kids who do get into banking and work slave hours for those first 2 years do not do it for the money. they do it for the learning experience and exit opportunities. i banking will not make u rich, but it sets you on a path to be successful in finance. the majority of kids do not continue in ibanking after their 2 or 3 year stint, because they move on to better opportunities with better lifestyles after they have that experience under their belt and on their resume.

of course i am bias as i work in the field, but working in banking does not mean miserable life. sure hours suck and there is some stress, but it is competitive and exciting. you talk and work with smart people and you learn something everyday. it is a work hard play hard mentality and if you are up for that, i think it is a great job to start in. and plus u know that no matter where u want to go within business after, u will have something credible on ur resume that really allows u to enter the conversation
April 14, 2012 @ 19:24:23
i worked at an investment bank and everyone is a pretentious asshole, if you like that kind of environment then go for it

April 14, 2012 @ 21:22:27
of course i am bias as i work in the field, but working in banking does not mean miserable life.

Are you at a BB?

Agreed that most people go in it to put in the 2-3 years and then get a better exit op.
April 14, 2012 @ 21:24:53
can anybody tell me whats so appealing about business besides money?...who is truly passionate about business?
April 14, 2012 @ 21:30:37
@ powerball.

(My most serious answer on this account actually)

USC is a respectable university, but it is definitely not a top 10 Undergraduate Business school. Outside of the Los Angeles area, USC is not too well known. It is a good school, I give you that, and you can start your future out there very well. But to say it is a top 10 business school would be a fallacy.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash USC. I applied to USC as well out of my senior year of highschool and thought about my future if I were to attend USC as opposed to attending another more known brand name school. I had a full ride to USC (my family is not too rich, plus scholarship), but in the end decided I would not attend the school. The trojan family is strong in southern california, but I also intend to work business out of California and eventually I decided to go to a NorCal school instead.
Please login first to reply.
x