Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
March 26, 2012 @ 07:36 AM
kmz

got Pepperdine and NYU cool
feels good man

nice! huge culture difference though. (IMO NYU is a much better school but i have buddies that go to pepperdine and the girls/weather there are amazing) good luck!
March 26, 2012 @ 08:00 AM
Berserker

thanks bapa

fuck waitlisted to ucla =(

This.
Not mad doe, got into UCSB, UCI, UCSC, Boston U, USF
How did all you guys hear back from NYU already? Still patiently waiting on NYU and Berkeley

where do you plan on going?

Out here Rick Rossin' it

March 30, 2012 @ 05:39 AM
SK

Accepted to Berklee College of Music, UW, U of Oregon, and UCSB. Denied by UCLA. Dont give a fuck doe, Berklee is my number 1 and got a scholarship. Anyone else headed to Berklee or music school?

All I do is smoke weed and play jazz

March 30, 2012 @ 05:48 AM
soulamazing.

SFSU and SDSU accepted so far. Currently praying for my CSULB appeal...

Any news on that appeal?? I'm still patiently (not really) waiting for a response for mine. It's almost been five weeks. SMH. -_-
March 30, 2012 @ 05:50 AM
TRILL Bill

Got accepted to UC Berkeley and denied from Yale lol. I'm still waiting on my decision from USC.
March 30, 2012 @ 06:05 AM
i_hate_simps

accepted to berkeley today too lol. Waitlisted at Brown ^ I am also waiting on Usc not that I wana go there but what it taking so long -.- dgaf doe
March 30, 2012 @ 06:09 AM
buffaloclone

WSU we in dis

washington state?

yup

http://traptraptrappin.tumblr.com/ i follow back

March 30, 2012 @ 06:22 AM
SK

WSU we in dis

washington state?

yup

lol. so youre retarded. go dawgs

March 30, 2012 @ 07:02 PM
thrillmatic

accepted to berkeley today too lol. Waitlisted at Brown ^ I am also waiting on Usc not that I wana go there but what it taking so long -.- dgaf doe

Got accepted to UC Berkeley and denied from Yale lol. I'm still waiting on my decision from USC.

If either of you want to transfer later on just keep your GPA above a 3.8 (something you should strive for anyways) then come up with some bullshit excuse to get them to accept you. Say you wanna team up with Bill Clinton, Bill Gates and Bono to cure AIDS in Africa. Once you get into the school of your choosing, feel free to ignore your so-called "calling" then proceed to major in Econ so you can get that upper 5-figures spot at Goldman Sachs.

As for me, the reason I'm trying to transfer to Yale/UPenn/Columbia is legitimate, but that shouldn't matter: what does matter in life is that the ends justify the means.

"Rap in 2012 is basically just a mad dash for people of EVERY human subset to be represented by a rapper." - damnwitless1

March 30, 2012 @ 09:33 PM
essej_v.5

nope^ . for transfers: upenn - 9% yale - 2% columbia - 5%
March 30, 2012 @ 09:39 PM
essej_v.5

oh and sat's still matter even for jr transfers at all those schools. so even if you manage to pull off a 4.0, you still won't get in if you have a bad sat score. i.e. less than 2000.
March 30, 2012 @ 10:37 PM
ignorantian

WSU we in dis

washington state?

yup

dope. i love pullman. considering transferring to u of idaho next year.
March 30, 2012 @ 10:37 PM
ignorantian

WSU we in dis

washington state?

yup

lol. so youre retarded. go dawgs

UW elitist
March 30, 2012 @ 11:10 PM
TRILL Bill

If either of you want to transfer later on just keep your GPA above a 3.8 (something you should strive for anyways) then come up with some bullshit excuse to get them to accept you. Say you wanna team up with Bill Clinton, Bill Gates and Bono to cure AIDS in Africa. Once you get into the school of your choosing, feel free to ignore your so-called "calling" then proceed to major in Econ so you can get that upper 5-figures spot at Goldman Sachs.

As for me, the reason I'm trying to transfer to Yale/UPenn/Columbia is legitimate, but that shouldn't matter: what does matter in life is that the ends justify the means.

Lol I just found out I got accepted to USC today. I'll probably end up taking the full-ride to Howard because of financial issues though.
March 31, 2012 @ 12:43 AM
thrillmatic

but yea with an attitude like thrillmatic's probably not. and sat's still matter even for jr transfers at all those schools. so even if you manage to pull off a 4.0, you still won't get in if you have a bad sat score. i.e. less than 2000.

lol i know the actual transfer rates are higher than that. but rarely do those schools accept kids from community colleges. most the dudes that transfer in were good enough to be waitlisted to those schools but just didn't get in out of high school.

I have a friend who was accepted into Yale and Stanford from Occidental, and he's in Palo Alto right now. If you're from Los Angeles you have some idea of what Oxy is like. Had a 3.8+ at Oxy and a HS GPA in that area. Idk if his minority status (he's Columbian, I'm Nigerian btw) helped and I think he scored in the 1900s on the SAT. I currently have a 4.0 one semester in school, using AP credit to cut off another semester and hoping to keep up my grades during the summer and fall.

I had a 3.3 GPA UW in high school, a 3.7 weighted with honors classes and 6 AP courses. I had 2 C's and a D but got into UChicago, off the waitlist at Irvine and into SDSU. I'm guessing UChi really needed their "quota" to be met or else I wouldn't of gotten in. Too bad my year there didn't turn out so well. Anyways, I'm sure my D and 2 C's fucked up my chance at UCLA, my first choice, which is stupid because my SAT was a 2040 with a 720 and a 650 in the US History and Chemistry subject tests, respectively. I probably had a harder schedule than most of my friends that did get in. I was very sure I'd get rejected from Columbia, Dartmouth and Brown. Having done research on those 3 schools, I realized Brown and Dartmouth would make me suffer socially. If I successfully get into Yale, Columbia, UPenn, Emory and UCLA, I haven't decided if I'll go to New Haven or New York because I'm sure I'd hate all the elitist bullshit at Yale that I hated at UChi but won't have the opportunity to be in a greater metro area like New York with Columbia. If not those two, whichever gives me more money between Emory and UPenn is my second choice, although I'm leaning toward Emory cause Atlanta is practically run by niggas now, yay me.

And yes, the three IL schools I mentioned do save spots for CC students, but you better have aspirations to save the third world or some shit like that or idk what your chances are.

"Rap in 2012 is basically just a mad dash for people of EVERY human subset to be represented by a rapper." - damnwitless1

March 31, 2012 @ 12:46 AM
thrillmatic

Lol I just found out I got accepted to USC today. I'll probably end up taking the full-ride to Howard because of financial issues though.

Enjoy my nigga! Keep it classy!

March 31, 2012 @ 02:25 AM
kmz

i went to SC and id say ur making a huge mistake
March 31, 2012 @ 03:41 AM
thrillmatic

i went to SC and id say ur making a huge mistake

I'd expect any USC alum to say that.

March 31, 2012 @ 06:46 AM
shoesarenice

thanks bapa

fuck waitlisted to ucla =(

This.
Not mad doe, got into UCSB, UCI, UCSC, Boston U, USF
How did all you guys hear back from NYU already? Still patiently waiting on NYU and Berkeley

where do you plan on going?

Got in to Berkley for the Spring semester so probably gonna do that. UCSB and BU would be next choices though
March 31, 2012 @ 08:14 AM
essej_v.5

alright sorry for jumping to conclusions it's just your original post struck me as douchey. once i saw you went to uchic i realized you weren't just some average hb kid talking noise about how he was gonna get into an ivy league.

anyways, good luck with transferring to where you wanna go. don't put too much hope into yale. transferring there is like the lottery. you probably will have a decent chance at columbia with urm status and a 4.0. oh and don't discredit brown just yet. its s/nc system is dope and would give you a lot of free time which would be good socially. i understand as a black guy it might be a bit weird to go to a granola school like brown but i feel like you would find your niche pretty easily.

just in case you're wondering i'm in a very similar situation as yours. applied as a transfer just recently to a lot of the schools you're planning on applying to. my sat's are higher but gpa is lower. applied to 12 schools so we'll see what happens. i'll post when i hear from them in mid-april to mid-may.

question for ya - why didn't you like uchicago? i applied but it's fairly low on my list. honestly i've only heard bad things about it other than its academics.
March 31, 2012 @ 04:08 PM
thrillmatic

alright sorry for jumping to conclusions it's just your original post struck me as douchey. once i saw you went to uchic i realized you weren't just some average hb kid talking noise about how he was gonna get into an ivy league.

anyways, good luck with transferring to where you wanna go. don't put too much hope into yale. transferring there is like the lottery. you probably will have a decent chance at columbia with urm status and a 4.0. oh and don't discredit brown just yet. its s/nc system is dope and would give you a lot of free time which would be good socially. i understand as a black guy it might be a bit weird to go to a granola school like brown but i feel like you would find your niche pretty easily.

question for ya - why didn't you like uchicago? i applied but it's fairly low on my list. honestly i've only heard bad things about it other than its academics.

Replying to the first paragraph: I am some average HB kid talking noise about how he was going to get into an Ivy League. UChi has raised their standards. My freshman year at UChi (2009), the Admission rate was 25%, now it's down to 14%, and if I applied this year with my stats from my senior year of HS, I probably wouldn't get in. When these schools admit minorities, it's because of a overwhelming guilt at the poor funding of inner-city schools over the last 50 years (with Brown v. Education, the Supreme Court just made private schools more attractive for white people who didn't want their children to associated with the darkies). Problem is, I went to a good school. But they will overlook that for the sake of a few percentage points on their lookbook.

My brother had SAT scores 180 points lower than mine and a slightly higher GPA and was waitlisted at UChi, and Duke, got into Northwestern but ended up at UCSB because he didn't want that debt hanging over his head before medical school.

The second paragraph, I know Yale is a lottery, so I'm just playing street craps with my education. I might not even go to Yale if I get in because I don't want to have to waste time learning the "special codified language" that rich white boys speak amongst themselves in order to maintain their status in society and only allow a select few in their circle. Columbia might end up as my first choice. I might add Brown to the list of schools because I heard it's not as old-money heavy as Yale and more liberal, whatever that means. I rather be in a city than an isolated town, which is why Brown wasn't an option to me earlier. Plus, I want, but don't necessarily need, Yale's FA badly.

As for your question: UChicago is tight as fuck. My dorm was full of ethnic nerds, all really nice kids. I was like that in high school, but I had somewhat of a bro mentality kick in from hanging with the druggies during the spring of my senior year that led to me fucking with my roommate from upstate New York so much that he moved to another room after 2 quarters. He was a chill guy, and when I visit, I'ma apologize for punking him so much. Looking back, I feel that if I had made ties with the kids in my dorm rather than to the frat house down the street for buddies, my year would've been much better.

I enjoyed the city, because there was so much to do. I saw Mos Def and MF Doom when they were in town, but that concert was horrible because Def rushed through his set and rumors had it that Doom had an imposter wear his mask and go onstage for a lipsync performance. I also saw GZA on a later date and Yung Joc plus Three 6 Mafia on another. I was at the St. Patrick's Day parade the night after GZA came through. I saw Nelly at Northwestern's spring concert and UChi had Nas and Damian Marley for their spring concert.

The curriculum was aight, you learn alot at a fast pace but if you can focus you'll get shit done. My problems were that I didn't know what I wanted to do, who I wanted to be, and who I wanted to be with. I tried Physics as a major even though I was way better at Chem in high school, suffered two D's, then fucked up my last quarter during finals week by getting a fail on a pass/fail (?!) in a multi-variable calculus class then passing out in the library while working on two papers, only to wake up and find out that my battery died and that my laptop didn't auto-save the papers, which were about 90% done. I still got two C's because my professors liked me and probably felt sorry for me, but it was too late. I was hella disorganized, I didn't have a consistent group of friends, multiple social circles but none that were immediate to me. The friends I still have left in Chicago that I visit are the ones that I felt were the most important to me. Finally, I pledged a fraternity full of white guys, and besides the subtle bullshit comments like one where some prick from Tennessee compares our initiation to a Klan rally, I just felt like they were unwilling to relate to me. Yeah, I got drunk alot, but when I was sober, I was not connecting with alot of the guys. Most weren't assholes, but there was that feeling that I didn't belong. The social scene consists of rich kids, affirmative action kids, and pop culture libertarian hipsters. It barely works despite the fact that you can't cram a bunch of kids from multiple backgrounds and expect them all to pull off that "melting pot" bullshit.

Fuck, sorry if this post is long as fuck. Anyways, I'm sure that if I had a bit more money, alot of my problems wouldn't had existed, as is the case with anyone else. Had to quit my campus job for fraternity obligations and it was taking away from the time I spent with my real friends, but I cut off contact with all of the guys at the frat house so it's all good now. I'd say that you should apply to UChicago if you can get in. Playing a sport helps because they are D3 and want respectable athletes who can handle the courseload and compete at the same time. You can always quit once you get in even if you're recruited, but I feel like you shouldn't because employers see extracurriculars like a sport as proof of responsibility in a potential employee. I wasn't recruited for sports because I wasn't on their radar for football. Note that alot of the athletic teams pledge certain fraternities because alot of the athletes on the same team come from similar socioeconomic backgrounds. I was in the same income bracket as most of the guys on my campus, but I was raised in a diverse area, which was why hanging around my new crew wasn't working. There is a long-standing rumor that one frat requires to see the tax returns of its pledges' parents.

Hope this puts any doubt.

March 31, 2012 @ 04:51 PM
dinoman

so how many of you niggas am i gonna see at NYU this fall?
March 31, 2012 @ 06:49 PM
essej_v.5

by average hb kid i meant 3.0 gpa 1550 sat or somewhere around there. clearly that isn't you lol. if you go through this thread you'll see what i mean.

everybody has their own thoughts about affirmative action. i believe it's a broken system right now and needs to be fixed. all the carltons from bel-air who are rich as hell and go to private school have a much higher chance of getting into an elite school than all the white kids from compton who go to try-not-to-get-shot high school and are dirt poor. that's messed up. it should work both ways regardless of the racial implications. idk i just feel like it should be based on family income and where one went to school rather than the color of one's skin.

don't apply to brown if you need fa. they are very need-aware. you're competing with everyone who checks the fa box for a very limited amount of money. basically your chances drastically drop if you check the box.

i applied to uchic about a month ago. good to hear some positive feedback about the university.

few questions for ya - what did you think about the party/frat scene? what about the girls? heard theyre atrocious...hopefully not true. also if you had known what you wanted to study and fully applied yourself, do you think you could have pulled off all A's or close to it?

thanks bro
March 31, 2012 @ 09:20 PM
SK

by average hb kid i meant 3.0 gpa 1550 sat or somewhere around there. clearly that isn't you lol. if you go through this thread you'll see what i mean.

1550 on sat is average? damn son, at my school youre a retard if you dont get at least 1800

March 31, 2012 @ 09:24 PM
essej_v.5

the us average is a 1490.
March 31, 2012 @ 09:44 PM
thrillmatic

everybody has their own thoughts about affirmative action. i believe it's a broken system right now and needs to be fixed. all the carltons from bel-air who are rich as hell and go to private school have a much higher chance of getting into an elite school than all the white kids from compton who go to try-not-to-get-shot high school and are dirt poor. that's messed up. it should work both ways regardless of the racial implications. idk i just feel like it should be based on family income and where one went to school rather than the color of one's skin.

don't apply to brown if you need fa. they are very need-aware. you're competing with everyone who checks the fa box for a very limited amount of money. basically your chances drastically drop if you check the box.

i applied to uchic about a month ago. good to hear some positive feedback about the university.

few questions for ya - what did you think about the party/frat scene? what about the girls? heard theyre atrocious...hopefully not true. also if you had known what you wanted to study and fully applied yourself, do you think you could have pulled off all A's or close to it?

thanks bro

don't worry, i feel you on the affirmative action tip. i didn't deserve to get into UChicago and I will openly admit that when asked. i still feel like I should've gotten into UCLA and would've filed a petition but I'm sure the school would use my 2 C's and a D against me despite my SATs. there are plenty of black kids at top-10 schools who've had it made all their life, way better than I had it. the average income in my area is 100K, and my mom doesn't make more than 50K above that amount after taxes. i wonder about these poor ass country folk when they aren't getting the attention they need, but then again, they go buttfuck themselves in the ass when they vote republican just because our president has a tan.

i know about Brown's FA policy. For Depending on which school I get into between Columbia, UPenn, Yale and Emory I will play their FA packages off of each other to get the best deals possible.

Party/Frat Scene: Weak. If you do join a frat, join because you have similarities with the guys you're pledging with. that was my problem, i was in my world and the others in theirs. You'll get tired of the parties after one year, and the only reason you'll go to the same parties after your freshman year is because of the incoming class of bitches to prey on.

Girls: Busted. 5-10 out of 100 girls will be 8 or higher. 15-20 will be 5 to 7. The rest...you're better off with this:

idk what you look for in women so I can't give you details but don't depend on the campus to supply you with your pussy. If you're in SoCal hit up MacArthur Street in Los Angeles to get a fake ID, if that area still is down with that biz. That fake will get you into bars all over the city, but make sure it's well done, cuz if not, you can get it confiscated by bodyguards and, but not likely, arrested. Use sites like Metromix, the Jugrnaut blog and other scene magazines to find out what's going down in the city on any weekend, concerts pop off every week.

Academics: Yeah, it's easy to maintain a 3.0 to 3.5. Above that, you need some serious will power and a skill for getting in good with professors. Idk what you're trying to major in, but here are a few tips that will work well with ANY college you go to:

-Kiss ass. Especially in the humanities. Believe it or not, when it comes to the humanities and social sciences, alot of your grade does depend on whether or not your professor likes you. Come to class on time, don't leave early, sit in front, and contribute alot to whatever he or she is discussing. Go to office hours, they will help.
-Even if you plan on pledging a fraternity, and alot of students do in comparision to the entire student body, try and make friends that are in your immediate dorm or housing. Establish a comfort zone. I had that problem because my background made it hard to seriously relate to students in any one circle. After finding a clique, branch out from there. Talk with people in your classes. Trust me, they're just as desperate to meet new people as you are, and you introducing yourself first puts you in a position of dominance.
-Drink and do other shit in moderation. I would even say fuck in moderation. Getting pussy really takes alot of focus out of your work, and you need to stay on top of your shit at UChicago to really perform well. I know I sound like a lame when I say this, but this is very important.

If you get in, survive and live for the summer. The city is a mushroom trip in the summer. So much shit to do outdoors. I can't wait to visit.

essej_v.5 or anyone else who reads this: PM if you have any other questions. Sometimes a college dropout is the first person you should consult with regarding school.

March 31, 2012 @ 10:19 PM
am93

SFSU!
March 31, 2012 @ 11:07 PM
northwest

congrats to everyone with college acceptances. HB doin it big
March 31, 2012 @ 11:09 PM
slap

anyone going to ucla? :]

$81 selvedge denim: https://www.weargustin.com/invite_from/4200 Karmaloop/Plndr Rep: SLAP20.

April 1, 2012 @ 02:12 AM
ignorantian

Dont know if any of you saw my thread last week about getting the fuck out of Idaho and trying to change my life but Ive been looking in to a lot of shit and I am thinking of applying to UC Riverside. Any of you guys got any info onit for me? Just like to hear some personal experiences etc etc

Please login first to reply.