College Discussion Thread.

Sep 12, 2011 @ 01:49
Im finishing up my last year in ME. Tips? Dont expect to have the same college experience as your buddies in business or marketing. Dont get me wrong youll still have fun and party and shit(if thats what youre into), you just wont be able to go nearly as hard if you want to get a decent GPA. Get into a solid study habit early on and get your shit done. DO NOT RELY ON SOLUTION MANUALS. Dont get behind. Dont sit and struggle with the same problems, get help. There are TONS of resources at your disposal. Talk to EVERYONE and NETWORK. Get involved in ASME and other engineering clubs, youll meet people and have stuff to put on your resume. Try your best to get an internship before you graduate. If you want to meet girls find an easy non engineering elective to take cause more than likely there will be 95% guys.

Work hard and dont forget to enjoy yourself, its easy to get bogged down. Its not going to be easy man, but it will be damn well worth the effort.

Not the partying type here, well not after high school smokeyface

My parents knows shit load of engineers. A manager engineer said I should go to her during junior year.

I'm forced to take workshops where I am.

I guess I need to make an effort to understand things and I'm good

- Thanks
Sep 12, 2011 @ 14:52
I'm majoring in business administration, but im not sure what field to focus on? It's between Sales/Marketing or Operations Management. What do you guys think would be better?
Sep 12, 2011 @ 22:43
I'm majoring in business administration, but im not sure what field to focus on? It's between Sales/Marketing or Operations Management. What do you guys think would be better?

specifically, what do you work with in sales/marketing? i've been studying accounting but that shit is boring as fuck and seems like it could be a stressful future for me
Sep 12, 2011 @ 23:37
^ I feel your pain, man.

I'm stuck between Accounting/Finance and hate both of them. It's more of a parents forcing me to do it kinda thing.

@KDL323: What do you like to do? Which one interests you more? Which business classes do you enjoy?
Sep 12, 2011 @ 23:52
any of you's been getting $50 government checks for "school materials"?

Orlando, FL. OG as fuck.

Sep 13, 2011 @ 00:49
Operations/management sounds safer... marketing gets you a job at Macy's for most people especially if you don't have any relevant internships or anything to put on your resume.

I'm also split between accounting and finance. Accounting is definitely the safer option but at my school the finance option is like 10 core biz classes and then 3-4 finance classes, where acctg is the 10 core classes and 10-11 more acctg classes. I would have to double up like every quarter and would probably miss opportunities to be out actually doing work experience and internships.
Sep 13, 2011 @ 00:52
So I was a junior last year and screwed that up with averages from 64-73%. I didn't know junior year marks mattered, but I know it's no excuse. If I could pull an A- average and join an extracurricular or two, could I get into any universities?
Sep 13, 2011 @ 01:01
So I was a junior last year and screwed that up with averages from 64-73%. I didn't know junior year marks mattered, but I know it's no excuse. If I could pull an A- average and join an extracurricular or two, could I get into any universities?

What type of school are you trying to get into. What is your gpa, senior year doesn't matter got a 4.2 and 4.0 gpa went up from a 3.3 to 3.56 or so didn't really make a diff when applying to colleges I had a 31 and couldn't break top 50 ranked schools.
Sep 13, 2011 @ 01:06
Oh yeah I forgot to mention I'm in Canada lol :/

Would you guys recommend trying to get into a program like English or Philosophy? Or will it be a waste of time?

I don't really have any money so I can only afford cheaper programs.
Sep 13, 2011 @ 01:13
Contrary to popular belief... Even in a community pharmacy (CVS/Walgreens) pharmacist hardly ever ever actually count pills and fill bottles... It is the tech that do that. So no... And I sincerely hope you're not actually in the field of pharmacy because you're doing yourself an injustice if you're. There is actually a lot more than meets the eye. I'd explain but I don't think you really give a shit so.

Oh as for it being easy, if you mean easy as in standing 9-12 hour shifts with average of 15-30min lunch breaks, or walking 7am-6pm throughout the hospital and getting lunch 2-3pm. Yeh, and dealing with crazy old people yeh it is pretty easy.

sounds like u dont enjoy ur field lol.. and no im not a med student. im actually pursuing a major that i actually enjoy unlike everybody who wants to be a pharmacist/nurse/etc who just do it for the money... i mean honestly...who actually enjoys being a nurse/pharmacist?..whats so fun about that?
Sep 13, 2011 @ 09:26

Yes, don't feel bad that you don't get into top 50 schools.
Undergrad really doesn't matter nearly as much as graduate school, and in undergrad it matters more about the grades you get rather then from what school.

If you go to a "shit" school then should be making A's/B's. You should be in honors, shit like that.
Sep 13, 2011 @ 21:28
Honestly, is dorming really a good experience?
(I might have to if i dont get into any school around my house.)

I never saw anything "good" about it :/

Im not into partying, drinking, etc.

And i have a lot of close friends here who are probably gonna go to
a college near their house. And no, not highschool friends.
I mean real homies who im close with and pretty much brothers with.

I dont wanna lose them no homo. Anyone else feel this way?
Sep 13, 2011 @ 22:07
Any of you dudes in Boston? I'm at BU as a freshman... Shit's really starting to pick up second week of classes
Sep 13, 2011 @ 23:15
Originally posted by Inactive User

I dont wanna lose them no homo. Anyone else feel this way?

I think dorming is a good experience. I mean I had a forced triple (I'm at Fordham University) and while I really detested one of my roommates, I found a really great friend in another. You also meet people that are like and not like you and learn about yourself by learning with other people your age.

On another note, I don't think it's necessary. If you don't care about drinking and partying and the college experience and you'd rather commute, go for it, you aren't missing too much.
Sep 13, 2011 @ 23:41
^ I feel your pain, man.

I'm stuck between Accounting/Finance and hate both of them. It's more of a parents forcing me to do it kinda thing.

@KDL323: What do you like to do? Which one interests you more? Which business classes do you enjoy?

bump! basically in the same predicament, but i'm about to transfer out.. so i need to figure out wtf i'm going to do
Sep 14, 2011 @ 01:16
Originally posted by Inactive User
sounds like u dont enjoy ur field lol.. and no im not a med student. im actually pursuing a major that i actually enjoy unlike everybody who wants to be a pharmacist/nurse/etc who just do it for the money... i mean honestly...who actually enjoys being a nurse/pharmacist?..whats so fun about that?

No one enjoys it, it's just a career that'll ensure financial stability in their future since it was probably a problem for them growing up
Sep 14, 2011 @ 01:34
^^if your gonna spend all that time and hardwork and residency to get a job, wouldn't you want to enjoy it instead of dreading it all your life?

not to mention the tuition...
Sep 15, 2011 @ 14:45
well, i met up with my guidance counselor today.

she said that i would have to work extremely hard to even have a chance at a university, since i really screwed up in my previous year.

she recommended that i apply to colleges, told me basically that i had no chance at the shit that i wanna do (either arts or journalism at university).

so do any of the canadian posters have any experiences with colleges? how is the experience and whatever? do you tend to see a lot of people from your high school?
Sep 15, 2011 @ 19:20
Can colleges look at the other schools you applied to?
Sep 15, 2011 @ 19:54
no
Sep 18, 2011 @ 23:30
I'm planning on transferring to CSU Fullerton, Northridge, or SFSU. Can anybody tell me how campus is like at any of these schools, or how the surrounding areas are like.
Sep 19, 2011 @ 01:25
Any of you dudes in Boston? I'm at BU as a freshman... Shit's really starting to pick up second week of classes

damn you must be rich to afford BU.

Easy mang...

Sep 19, 2011 @ 02:43
i go to csun, its a pretty chill school, a lot of girls and shit

only thing is you have to join greek life to go to any of the good "parties" but if you know the right people youre straight.

I feel hella out of place here being from chicago but whatever i just stick to it, hard to find any ♥♥♥♥♥s here i can relate and chill with.

sucks when you have a homegirl and a group of bitches down to kick it but no ♥♥♥♥♥s to come through and be wingmen tongueface
Sep 19, 2011 @ 12:54
any SDSU aztecs in here
Sep 28, 2011 @ 16:32
any SDSU aztecs in here

i'm applying there this weekend. how is it?

fuck i'm nervous
Sep 29, 2011 @ 05:10
any SDSU aztecs in here

Hhaha fuuck yeeeeh! Second year over here.
Sep 29, 2011 @ 10:28
I think dorming is a good experience. I mean I had a forced triple (I'm at Fordham University) and while I really detested one of my roommates, I found a really great friend in another. You also meet people that are like and not like you and learn about yourself by learning with other people your age.

On another note, I don't think it's necessary. If you don't care about drinking and partying and the college experience and you'd rather commute, go for it, you aren't missing too much.

Fellow NYer dorming here.
I'm going to St. Francis in Brooklyn and I dorm in their dorm house at St. George Housing or whatever. I don't know if it's just this place since I haven't been to other campus dorms here in the city, but the rooms here are smaller then the other dorm houses I've seen/stayed in.

Do I think dorming is a good experience? Yeah, if you're moving to a new city/town/state to go to that school. Dorming is an excellent way to meet people. You're surrounded by people that don't have friends there either. They want to make friends just as much as you do.

Will you get shitty roommates sometimes? Well sure but that's a learning experience and in life you'll have to learn to just deal with shit. Well, unless you're rich.
Sep 29, 2011 @ 10:31

I dont wanna lose them no homo. Anyone else feel this way?[/QUOTE]

I just saw this last part. One of the things you learn growing up is that people come and go throughout your life. Don't worry about losing friends or gaining friends, unless you're a literal complete shut in, you'll make friends, and with enough time those friends will become great friends.

Just a fact of life man.
Sep 29, 2011 @ 14:05
Gonna be in OSU this weekend.

If you see a 6' pretty ass white male with a mullet and dressed clean as fuck don't be afraid to shout out Wojie so I feel like a celebrity.

Buffalo Bills till I die.

Sep 29, 2011 @ 14:38
Gonna be in OSU this weekend.

If you see a 6' pretty ass white male with a mullet and dressed clean as fuck don't be afraid to shout out Wojie so I feel like a celebrity.

Dam osu's a great place to be, i live on north campus, hope you are going to the game because its gonna be nuts.
Please login first to reply.
HYPECHAT 0