College Discussion Thread.

Feb 04, 2011 @ 03:17
I hope so I'm thinking of dorming there but I dont want it turnin out to be wack
Feb 04, 2011 @ 03:30
I recommend living at least one year in the dorms. Even though you have to share a room with some jerk you don't know, it's a huge bonding experience with other freshmen or whatever year you are and you'll have stories for years. Everyone loves a "fuck my roommate" story.
Feb 04, 2011 @ 14:23
Thats exactly what I was thinking, just get the whole "college experience" or at least try it out.
Feb 04, 2011 @ 14:57
Indiana University stand up.
Feb 04, 2011 @ 15:01
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. 2nd semester. English 102 Intro to Research Based Writing blows. >smh

1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Feb 04, 2011 @ 17:31
everybody says this

unless you're applying to a more selective school, all that matters is GPA.

I applied to Michigan State, great gpa and act...fuck i didnt even really turn in a full essay
sent in thursday, got accepted saturday

its a fact that larger schools pay very little attention to essays, often times even extracurriculars. They factor out MAD people solely based off gpa/sat/act.
Feb 04, 2011 @ 19:05
There's really no way to figure out what college's actually pay attention to when looking at your application. You could speculate forever but in the end admissions is a total crapshoot. Only thing you can really do is do well in school and complete all parts of the application to make you as appealing as possible to the school. If you need to write an essay write the best essay you can. If you think you need extracurriculars go join some clubs. But in the end there's no real way of knowing exactly how colleges make their decisions.
Feb 04, 2011 @ 21:48
^
truth, dorsal.
Feb 05, 2011 @ 02:44
Any good business schools in LA? I'm about to finish up my 2 years at De Anza College in Cupertino (The Bay), and I'm looking to transfer out to a state college in CA. Two of my current options are Either San Francisco State or San Jose State (where I currently live). I'm honestly trying to get out and away from home for a few years, so any suggestions would be more than helpful. Thanks
Feb 05, 2011 @ 03:16
Any good business schools in LA? I'm about to finish up my 2 years at De Anza College in Cupertino (The Bay), and I'm looking to transfer out to a state college in CA. Two of my current options are Either San Francisco State or San Jose State (where I currently live). I'm honestly trying to get out and away from home for a few years, so any suggestions would be more than helpful. Thanks

csu? Cause la has good private, or uc's that would be better off for business. BUT i've heard that cal poly SLO, SDSU, fullerton and long beach.

You should really look into that cause im not too sure.
Feb 05, 2011 @ 16:23

Hey man I've been to both DA and SJSU. If you really can't get into the UC's or private schools, I suggest you try to get in SDSU or Cal Poly SLO before either SFSU or SJSU. SDSU is tiers above the rest in business. And any school that starts with a CSU is no good.

If your options are limited to SFSU/SJSU, I'd pick the one where you will have the most fun. They are very similar academically but SJSU is more of a commuter school I think (I haven't been to SFSU much). Just my 2 cents.
Feb 05, 2011 @ 16:59
UCs mad hard to get into. I was thinking of going there for the summer for sumemr school.
Feb 05, 2011 @ 17:05
if you're looking for a business school in socal. USC has the best without a doubt.

yeah you really have to be on your shit though to get > 3.5 due to the curves and the goddamn fobs who study all day (we have largest int'l population of any univ). qq
Feb 05, 2011 @ 17:18
wait till you get to the accounting courses at SC. mother truckin fobs are on point with that shit.

haha word. finished my acct courses, just FBE left, not much better lol
Feb 05, 2011 @ 17:25
starting 4th this sem
Feb 07, 2011 @ 20:28
Yo, I need some SAT tips.

How long did yall study?
What was your score (out of 2400. Not the old 1600.)

?
Feb 07, 2011 @ 20:36
Originally posted by Inactive User
Yo, I need some SAT tips.

How long did yall study?
What was your score (out of 2400. Not the old 1600.)

?

you should definitely get one of the SAT prep books. and study it lots. it's important to understand what you need to look for in the test, and what not to get held up on. not sure if you would qualify, but you can register for extra time, it's hard to get it sometimes, but really worth it.

i got a 600 on the writing, 600 reading, and 450 for math. so i guess 1650. should have retaken it really, if anything to bring my math score up. but, whatever.
Feb 08, 2011 @ 10:41
Sort of like what Dave said, I would learn about the format of the test, and how to take it.

I took one practice SAT online, which focused on the format of the test, and that's the extent of any studying I did for it. I ended up with a 650 in each of the three.
Feb 08, 2011 @ 12:32
where are the ivy/competitive college students at?
Feb 08, 2011 @ 12:49
^^

4th year at Stanford, just got accepted into Washington St. Louis, Cornell, and U. of Chicago for med school.
Feb 08, 2011 @ 13:31
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. 2nd semester.(

So glad I transferred the fuck out of that place
Feb 08, 2011 @ 14:12
Anyone ever take a Public Speaking class?

i'm currently enrolled in one, wsup?
Feb 08, 2011 @ 15:04

Took it last semester (communication class). Not that difficult. Give about 4 Speeches.

ourdaysofbeingwild.tumblr.com Check my sale listing: http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/212986

Feb 08, 2011 @ 15:06

I'm taking Business Communications now.

It's the most interesting and helpful class I've taken in college.

PS - Everybody else seems to enjoy it too.
Feb 08, 2011 @ 16:55
^^Depends on what kinda class you take, at my school they had group speaking classes and individual speaking classes. I took a group speech class and it got super annoying because if one group memeber was bad at public speaking my professor would grade all of us down.
Feb 08, 2011 @ 18:41
Oh I think I'm going to switch because I hate groups.

I also have intro to Sociology and Intro to Criminal justice anyone know what the material is like?

Where do you go to school? That criminal justice one will probably be about the court system and trials, policing methods, and theories of criminality. The Sociology one will be really easy I bet
Feb 08, 2011 @ 19:52
^^

4th year at Stanford, just got accepted into Washington St. Louis, Cornell, and U. of Chicago for med school.

holy fuck. wat a bosssmokeyface

Inactive User

Feb 08, 2011 @ 22:14
There's really no way to figure out what college's actually pay attention to when looking at your application. You could speculate forever but in the end admissions is a total crapshoot. Only thing you can really do is do well in school and complete all parts of the application to make you as appealing as possible to the school. If you need to write an essay write the best essay you can. If you think you need extracurriculars go join some clubs. But in the end there's no real way of knowing exactly how colleges make their decisions.

pretty simple to even increase your chances on top of that...in a college town like Ann Arbor, plenty of people are connected to UofM. My friend's pops eats lunch with an admissions officer. just like that word spreads like wildfire about what they look for...
Obviously not every case is cut and dry, but due to reputation and word of mouth everything is almost out there

essays are most important in most selective schools (if you have the standard high GPA and shit like that, because thats the norm)

On another noote, Finished my apps for NYU, Wisc-Madison...waiting to hear back from Mich.
Feb 08, 2011 @ 22:34
Anyone Know how FASFA works? I've already paid my tution and fees but it says I have money left over? Does the school get the money or does It go towards books?

I heard you get some of the excess money back. Anyone know if this is true?

i never filed for FASFA, but my friends who did each received money back. so someone might know better than me, but i'd say yes
Feb 08, 2011 @ 22:40
anyone applying to university of washington?

have to wait until march 15-31 to hear back. such bs mane
Please login first to reply.