Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
November 14, 2010 @ 09:14 PM
northwest

Smooth, it really depends where you are applying. If you apply to some shitty state school that uses an index calculator to get auto-admits, than yeah, only numbers matter. But if you apply to an actually decent school, extracurriculars DO matter. Volunteering, jobs, sports, do matter. It doesn't matter if you continue or stop your involvement after HS because your involvement alone shows committment - and that is something that colleges like. They want diverse people, diverse doesn't just mean high test scores and a good GPA, that means people who have been exposed to all walks of life, etc etc. You get the point.
November 14, 2010 @ 09:17 PM
Jamie Dimon

Grades are still more important though.
You can have the best extracurriculars out of all the applicants in your grade but if your grades dont make the cut, you're still not getting into the college.
As long as your grades are fine, you should find one or two clubs to join and stick to it. It's better to stick to a club for a few years than joining new ones every year to look like you have a lot of extracurriculars

My garbage can eats better than 99% of the world.

November 14, 2010 @ 09:30 PM
wcac26

Maybe I was unclear.

Admissions officers do not care about your extracurriculars that you are not going to continue in college.

Also, what you are talking about is not what admissions officers are looking to glean from extracurriculars.

Admissions officers look for interesting people in their interviews or essays.

Just as you said everyone who applies to Ivy league schools has the standard extracurriculars listed on their applications.

Extracurriculars like HS lacrosse state champion who will play at college is good. Year book editor. Pffftt. They don't care. Debate team. Pffft. They don't care even if you were to continue on at college.

Fill us in guru. What college do you go to?

Because all the top privates definitely care about your extracirrics and awards. All top schools holistically look at your apps, so all portions are given quite equal weight. If they didn't do this, then all ivies would be 95% asian and white
November 14, 2010 @ 09:52 PM
northwest

Lmao sex. That is definitely true. Colleges look for DIVERSITY. Diversity comes from extracurriculars.
Admissions- "Oh damn, this dude has a 2290 SAT and a 3.95, dis NIGGUH DIVERSE AS FUCK". No, it doesn't work like that. They look at extracurriculars to determine that.

And yes, grades are the most important, but extracurriculars still factor in.
November 14, 2010 @ 09:57 PM
Shoutbox

damn i didnt know getting into college was this hard. i slacked hard senior year, didnt play sports and my gpa was not the best, and i still got into the college of my choice. i didnt apply to an ivy league school or nothing, but damn, i cant help but think theres some slight exaggeration going on. and no im not in CC
November 14, 2010 @ 10:01 PM
Comikazi

Maybe I was unclear.

Admissions officers do not care about your extracurriculars that you are not going to continue in college.

Also, what you are talking about is not what admissions officers are looking to glean from extracurriculars.

Admissions officers look for interesting people in their interviews or essays.

Just as you said everyone who applies to Ivy league schools has the standard extracurriculars listed on their applications.

Extracurriculars like HS lacrosse state champion who will play at college is good. Year book editor. Pffftt. They don't care. Debate team. Pffft. They don't care even if you were to continue on at college.

They do actually care about those things but that's not what I meant. Like I taught english in China for a summer and I did 100 hours of community service during the year. They care about shit like that a lot. Where do you go to school?
November 14, 2010 @ 10:44 PM
northwest

Well, co-pilot. A lot of the college admissions are crapshoots. I think there was some statistic with an ivy, and the ivy claimed that they could drop their whole incoming freshman class and replace it with their rejects and not drop in quality. So you can just imagine how crazy it is.
November 15, 2010 @ 01:05 AM
Smooth

They do actually care about those things but that's not what I meant. Like I taught english in China for a summer and I did 100 hours of community service during the year. They care about shit like that a lot. Where do you go to school?

Admissions officers do not care about extracurriculars that you will not continue on with.

I went to GW and Cornell.

I played a professional sport before college and never mentioned it on my undergrad or grad school applications.

I got in on my numbers and essays.
November 15, 2010 @ 01:59 AM
goobypls

Admissions officers do not care about extracurriculars that you will not continue on with.

I went to GW and Cornell.

I played a professional sport before college and never mentioned it on my undergrad or grad school applications.

I got in on my numbers and essays.

I'm calling shenanigans on GW and Cornell. Admissions counselors want to distinguish good grades and stats with extracurricular activities. They want to know if people struggled through adversity in order to reach their achievements.. They want to see if people played 3 sports while managing their schoolwork at the same time. P.S. if you truly went to Cornell post your Cornell email address and I'll send you an email so you can reply back to me to verify.
November 15, 2010 @ 08:22 AM
SantaDuJuan

I'm going there this spring as a transfer. What do the ppl u know there say about it?

Damn, spring transfer?
Got balls, I've only heard good things but you know how that is.
November 15, 2010 @ 08:43 AM
ChillChill

just got my acceptance letter to UNT
now i just have to audition for the college of music
November 15, 2010 @ 02:57 PM
BibleBurner

I'm calling shenanigans on GW and Cornell. Admissions counselors want to distinguish good grades and stats with extracurricular activities. They want to know if people struggled through adversity in order to reach their achievements.. They want to see if people played 3 sports while managing their schoolwork at the same time. P.S. if you truly went to Cornell post your Cornell email address and I'll send you an email so you can reply back to me to verify.

why so angry?
November 15, 2010 @ 03:10 PM
JayLovesPinays

P.S. if you truly went to Cornell post your Cornell email address and I'll send you an email so you can reply back to me to verify.

This really proves nothing, at all. I have a UNC & Duke email account, and I go to neither.
November 15, 2010 @ 03:56 PM
Smooth

Admissions officers are more interested in a student that managed to have a 3.7 GPA and 1400 SAT while living in inner city home with no father, a mother that works 60 hours a week to get by, and no one in their family ever went to college. That is not extracurricular and would come out in essays and interviews. Admissions officers look for these students because the impact of that student receiving their degree would drastically change their family's future.

The fact is that if you come from a middle or upper class home then you need something more than the standard laundry list of extracurriculars. You need something bigger.

Something like: you started a successful small business. You taught people to read and can prove it with a reference. Something that shows real initiative or sacrifice for someone who's life was always financially stable.

This is going to blow your mind. When I attended Cornell, email did not exist yet. And I'm under 40.
November 15, 2010 @ 04:46 PM
julian.

decided i'm going to change my major from Photography -> Business Economics.
typical.

many math/accounting/econ classes to come.
i'll be surprised if i finish in 2 years at CC.

julianxberman.tumblr.com /

November 15, 2010 @ 05:17 PM
mcampoverde

typical.

noooo, don't sell out to the man!!!
November 15, 2010 @ 06:35 PM
JayLovesPinays

I don't know why you don't just go General Education/Undecided and finish your basic classes at CC. That way you have 2 yrs to decide, and you won't have to worry about starting a course line all over again and having to stay more than 2yrs
November 15, 2010 @ 09:02 PM
tmwtg

typical.

Why's that?

No jobs in photography?
November 15, 2010 @ 10:06 PM
julian.

i'm not going to be a photographer when i grow up.
in fact my current photo II class is an absolute joke, and i'm pretty sure nobody can teach me how to shoot pictures.

it will always remain a hobby/passion, but certainly not a career in a failing industry.
besides, all of these kids out there trying to become photographers bring the lolz, good luck..

julianxberman.tumblr.com /

November 15, 2010 @ 11:01 PM
rc49ers53

anyone at CU Boulder?

cousin is, plays hockey there, says its crazy. You applying or enrolled already?
November 15, 2010 @ 11:33 PM
northwest

Admissions officers are more interested in a student that managed to have a 3.7 GPA and 1400 SAT while living in inner city home with no father, a mother that works 60 hours a week to get by, and no one in their family ever went to college. That is not extracurricular and would come out in essays and interviews. Admissions officers look for these students because the impact of that student receiving their degree would drastically change their family's future.

The fact is that if you come from a middle or upper class home then you need something more than the standard laundry list of extracurriculars. You need something bigger.

Something like: you started a successful small business. You taught people to read and can prove it with a reference. Something that shows real initiative or sacrifice for someone who's life was always financially stable.

This is going to blow your mind. When I attended Cornell, email did not exist yet. And I'm under 40.

you saying you're below 40YO probably indicates that you're in your 30s. and believe it or not WAYYY BACK THEN, admissions were different. they were about numbers. but NOW, it's harder to get into selective schools. it's not all about numbers.
November 16, 2010 @ 01:22 AM
FckenRynell

how do you pick up college chicks?
in the cafeteria?
in the library?
in the classroom?

any stories? feel free to share, im interested.
November 16, 2010 @ 01:38 AM
DirtbagZack

if you have like inbetweeen 2.5 - 3.0 can you get into a good college.

and the fact that your on a national soccer team . any like benefits ?

whatever

November 16, 2010 @ 12:18 PM
will 1 am

cousin is, plays hockey there, says its crazy. You applying or enrolled already?

Damn nice, I applied there. Hoping for the best.
It looks amazing.
November 16, 2010 @ 01:27 PM
IsaacEK

Signed up for classes and got my schedule set for next semester, and I have 8am class every day. sad
November 16, 2010 @ 01:41 PM
GoRubio

One of the best things about college... access to the rec center and play a shit ton of pool. No more dive bars or bro sports bars with a bunch of weirdos.
November 16, 2010 @ 02:59 PM
The Nasty

just got my first college acceptance letter today!
November 16, 2010 @ 07:03 PM
rc49ers53

Damn nice, I applied there. Hoping for the best.
It looks amazing.

Just know Boulder is racist as hell, but the parties are crackin, hope you have a good one.cool
November 16, 2010 @ 08:50 PM
xLucky7

any1 go to Montclair State? trying to go there next year..
November 16, 2010 @ 09:00 PM
northwest

if you have like inbetweeen 2.5 - 3.0 can you get into a good college.

and the fact that your on a national soccer team . any like benefits ?

word. athletes get priority basically everywhere haha. and if you're that good, well you have a good chance. maybe not top tier schools like ivy, but i think youd have a shot at a lot of the top 50 schools. depends how good you are though.

edit:
The nasty, where'd you get accepted to?

Please login first to reply.