September 22, 2010 @ 08:19 AM
SantaDuJuan

i know i dont know any of you personally but i know for a fact none of ya'll were like "i wanna go to college when i grow up." i was tryna post that 'dreams canceled' piece by banksy but apparently i need 25 posts to do so.

Wait what?
No, I've always wanted to go to college. Because even as a child you realize you have to go to college to get better jobs. I didn't know about grad school, ivy league schools, state schools, etc. but I've known since I was 8 that I had to go to college. Shit
September 22, 2010 @ 03:21 PM
Blaizini

yeah dont get me wrong, college is cool if you're tryna make a career out of your life. ivy leagues aren't all that btw, i hate how society looks at ivy leagues like it's some crazy exceptional way to get educated. all education is the same, it's all business, it's all designed to severely curtail your imagination, doesn't matter if you're paying a hundred grand a year or if you're going to junior college for a couple hundred. it's all the same.
September 22, 2010 @ 04:38 PM
SantaDuJuan

yeah dont get me wrong, college is cool if you're tryna make a career out of your life. ivy leagues aren't all that btw, i hate how society looks at ivy leagues like it's some crazy exceptional way to get educated. all education is the same, it's all business, it's all designed to severely curtail your imagination, doesn't matter if you're paying a hundred grand a year or if you're going to junior college for a couple hundred. it's all the same.

Oh, I wasn't implying ivy league schools are the shit. Hell I agree with you on a lot of points. But let's be honest, most people don't go to college to learn. They go and pay money for a piece of paper that says they know things about their major. In Virginia we have 2 public ivy league schools. University of Virginia and William & Mary. Those are by far the two hardest colleges in the state. Now in VA if you go to a community college your credits automatically no questions asks are transferred to any state college including UVA and W&M. Most people don't know that and assume junior college is easy. A lot of community/junior colleges are more difficult then freshmen/sophomore years at a university.

Just wish I knew that shit coming out of highschool.
September 22, 2010 @ 04:53 PM
theh00d

Think I failed my first exam today.
Fml this page of notes didn't even help.

ourdaysofbeingwild.tumblr.com Check my sale listing: http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/212986

September 22, 2010 @ 05:54 PM
JayLovesPinays

Ivy league are the same as state schools? Even community colleges? You can't throw around statements like that. All education is not the same. Ivy leagues to non-Ivy schools are like AP courses to standard level HS classes. The speed at which the courses move at an Ivy are much faster, the courses are more rigorous, and (whether people like to admit it or not) the general student body is a lot smarter. Note, I'm saying generally because the requirements to get in to a school like Yale are a lot more competitive than a school like NYU. An element to higher education is business or being able to politic, but that's pretty much life these days. It's about selling yourself via grades and network connections for post-grad work.
September 22, 2010 @ 06:57 PM
bwssldr

All I have to say is Sophmore Year>>>>>>>>freshman. Gonna go even harder this year haha.

Fore Sale: Supreme Leopard M-51, Box Logo, Dior Jeans, Rick Owens, Etc. http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/211876#4274526

September 22, 2010 @ 07:13 PM
Blaizini

uni of virginia and william & mary aren't ivy league schools. i'm a junior at yale and i took a couple courses at the local community college back home in cali this summer, and i honestly felt that there were no major differences as far as how well the professors were able to teach the class. but obviously you will see differences when you look at how determined the students are in either community colleges or prestigious unis. of course you'll notice that there are a lot of kids in community college that don't give a fuck about school, but that doesn't dictate the level of schooling you will get regardless what kind of school you go to. i'm not talking out of my ass, i'm just sharing my honest observations.
September 22, 2010 @ 07:56 PM
JayLovesPinays

You transferred to Yale from a community college? I have to congratulate you on that, man. Matriculation for a transfer student to an Ivy is insanely difficult. Going off tangent, what's your story? What were your grades like in high school and CC? Extra curricular activities? Tell me everything.
September 22, 2010 @ 08:04 PM
SantaDuJuan

uni of virginia and william & mary aren't ivy league schools. i'm a junior at yale and i took a couple courses at the local community college back home in cali this summer, and i honestly felt that there were no major differences as far as how well the professors were able to teach the class. but obviously you will see differences when you look at how determined the students are in either community colleges or prestigious unis. of course you'll notice that there are a lot of kids in community college that don't give a fuck about school, but that doesn't dictate the level of schooling you will get regardless what kind of school you go to. i'm not talking out of my ass, i'm just sharing my honest observations.

public ivy is different then private ivy.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy
September 22, 2010 @ 08:54 PM
dhkgfkdj

My Wednesdays are waaaay too busy. I got class from 10-11:15, a break, class from 1-2:15. Then I gotta carpool with people right at 2:15 to go tutor kids at a middle school that's like 25 minutes off campus. I'm there from 3-4, get back to campus at like 4:20 or so. Then I go straight to class from 4:30-6:45. And of course my boss schedules me to work my on-campus job at 7 most weeks.

/rant
September 22, 2010 @ 08:59 PM
Blaizini

You transferred to Yale from a community college? I have to congratulate you on that, man. Matriculation for a transfer student to an Ivy is insanely difficult. Going off tangent, what's your story? What were your grades like in high school and CC? Extra curricular activities? Tell me everything.

nah, i went to yale after hs, i just took a couple courses at the community college this summer. i had pretty decent grades at a private hs, but my admittance to yale was largely due to the fact that my father went to yale for both undergrad and grad, and my brother went to yale for grad school as well. not many people are aware of this but if you have family that are alumni from a particular school you're pretty much guaranteed acceptance, unless you completely fucked up in hs. my whole family went to prestigious schools so i could have gone to probably any school of my liking, but my pops made me go to yale just cuz he knows if i were to choose which school to go to i would probably go to a public uni here in cali.
September 22, 2010 @ 10:39 PM
SantaDuJuan

nah, i went to yale after hs, i just took a couple courses at the community college this summer. i had pretty decent grades at a private hs, but my admittance to yale was largely due to the fact that my father went to yale for both undergrad and grad, and my brother went to yale for grad school as well. not many people are aware of this but if you have family that are alumni from a particular school you're pretty much guaranteed acceptance, unless you completely fucked up in hs. my whole family went to prestigious schools so i could have gone to probably any school of my liking, but my pops made me go to yale just cuz he knows if i were to choose which school to go to i would probably go to a public uni here in cali.

So uh... is it like what people say it is?
September 23, 2010 @ 03:39 PM
Blaizini

haha nah
September 23, 2010 @ 03:42 PM
riceispro

new haven is so boring man
September 23, 2010 @ 03:49 PM
Blaizini

hahah yeah tell me about it
September 23, 2010 @ 03:49 PM
JayLovesPinays

I wish Yale had a pharm school. sad

Ivy's don't respect my [future] profession.
September 23, 2010 @ 05:27 PM
SantaDuJuan

I wish Yale had a pharm school. sad

Ivy's don't respect my [future] profession.

Haha, I feel you man, one of my closest friends wants to do Pharmacy.
September 23, 2010 @ 06:20 PM
airforce416

just came in here to say fuck college math real shit suck my dick algebra
September 23, 2010 @ 06:23 PM
wcac26

This is so wrong. A degree in finance from DeVry university compared to a degree in finance from wharton? A degree in computer science from some state college compared to a degree in eecs from MIT or CMU? Lets start comparing shit to gold!
September 23, 2010 @ 06:50 PM
yeahr1ght!

just had my first class over at UC Irvine today. Super excited for the school year.

i went in undecided but im taking the same class as a bio major
September 23, 2010 @ 07:22 PM
Deemy

I go to William and Mary and honestly, it's hard. The expectations from professors are a lot harder, classes are more rigorous. It's 2 spots behind UVA for best university overall in the nation (31 and 33 respectively). The name really does help a lot with employers and the fact that you can graduate with above a 3.5 shows employers something. I wish I had a 3.5 (my goal was to at least get a 3.0 per semester and it's so fucking hard to get there). Of course, it's smart to go to community college at first then transfer after freshman/sophomore year to start off with a great GPA plus it also saves some money. Looking at the colleges here, I feel so minuscule compared to Yale, NYU, UC-Berkeley, UNC; those universities know where it's at. On a side note, UVA is hard to get in, easy to get out; on the other hand, WM is both hard to get in and get out.
September 23, 2010 @ 07:48 PM
riceispro

college is hard?

wtf?

i guess it depends on your major >_>
September 23, 2010 @ 07:53 PM
JayLovesPinays

@Deemy

NYU isn't really all that great of school from what I've heard. I hear better things about W&M. And W&M isn't that far behind UNC.
September 23, 2010 @ 08:30 PM
Blaizini

This is so wrong. A degree in finance from DeVry university compared to a degree in finance from wharton? A degree in computer science from some state college compared to a degree in eecs from MIT or CMU? Lets start comparing shit to gold!

lol
September 23, 2010 @ 08:42 PM
Pinhead Larry

I go to William and Mary and honestly, it's hard. The expectations from professors are a lot harder, classes are more rigorous. It's 2 spots behind UVA for best university overall in the nation (31 and 33 respectively). The name really does help a lot with employers and the fact that you can graduate with above a 3.5 shows employers something. I wish I had a 3.5 (my goal was to at least get a 3.0 per semester and it's so fucking hard to get there). Of course, it's smart to go to community college at first then transfer after freshman/sophomore year to start off with a great GPA plus it also saves some money. Looking at the colleges here, I feel so minuscule compared to Yale, NYU, UC-Berkeley, UNC; those universities know where it's at. On a side note, UVA is hard to get in, easy to get out; on the other hand, WM is both hard to get in and get out.

Haha the thing about UNC, you wouldn't think it's hard because it seems like so many average kids go there, and its pretty well rounded. Unlike William and Mary, where everybody in the Southeast knows its a place where kids go to study all day every day for 4 years.
September 23, 2010 @ 08:49 PM
bulldogskoleff

Depaul, Northwestern, Villanova, Boston University, U Of Chicago, MIT, Denver U, bunch of random schools with the Common App too

BU my dude. It's a reach for me though, so I'll be applying early in hopes of that getting me in. You've got some serious schools on that list, seems like BU might be your safety lol
September 23, 2010 @ 08:59 PM
SantaDuJuan

college is hard?

wtf?

i guess it depends on your major >_>

Do you have a bachelors?
Seriously college is hard your junior and senior year for any major.

First off, props for going to W&M. I love the school but I'd personally never go there. One of my best buds graduated from there with a 3.9 or something. Whole family is full of geniuses. What's your major?

Haha the thing about UNC, you wouldn't think it's hard because it seems like so many average kids go there, and its pretty well rounded. Unlike William and Mary, where everybody in the Southeast knows its a place where kids go to study all day every day for 4 years.

Yeah man W&M is no joke.
September 23, 2010 @ 09:25 PM
Deemy

Yeah but UNC in general is such a great school - better endowment, better funding, better everything. If it wasn't for WM acting like a private school, it'd be better since we'd get better facilities and such.

First off, props for going to W&M. I love the school but I'd personally never go there. One of my best buds graduated from there with a 3.9 or something. Whole family is full of geniuses. What's your major?

I went from physics to math to art to now psychology with a minor in art. I'm loving this semester so far since I spent most of my time in the art building working on my projects and I don't really consider it work at all. I plan on going to VTech or UVA for grad school in the architecture program. If that fails, I can just get a masters in psychology anyway.
September 23, 2010 @ 09:25 PM
Pinhead Larry

yeah, one of my boys plays Basketball for William and Mary, he's a genius though so I don't think he's really having that much trouble.

I'm not having that much trouble here at Duke, but unfortunately, my good study habits won't last long. I'm just trying to make sure that i beast this first semester so I don't have to play the "catch up or lose scholarship money" game.
September 23, 2010 @ 09:34 PM
Fashawn.

well i got a scholarship to Everest and what just i take?\

anyone here go to Everest?

Instagram: steezy_pinoy (Willie Idolor). evo x and g35 owner i dont have time for haters, im too busy working

Please login first to reply.