College Discussion Thread.

September 20, 2013 @ 22:45:18
im in my second year of accounting and shit is dead, i dont think i can stick wit it. i dont really understand it, and i havent made much of an ffort. but i hear how stable the job security is and all that, and i dont have any other interests to switch to. idk if i would actually like the job tho. what are some other decent majors? what should i do hb
Because you dont like it or because you are not good at it? If you are good at it and don't like it, I'd suggest sticking with it. Degrees in anything math based are in high demand. Accounting degrees can go lots of places. I'm in finance and research and there are numerous people with accounting degrees in my office who don't necessarily just do accounting. You want to make money? Math or science or tech is where its at. Although its important to pursue a filed that you're interested and not base decisions solely on money, the fact is regardless of what you choose you need to consider the financial aspect of it as well. Nobody wants to have a job they love but be struggling to make it everyday. 

This post is hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

September 20, 2013 @ 23:19:31
If my GPA is really low (2.5, I don't know how much I can raise it this year) should I even apply for colleges right now or just go to community? I have a few (edit: i just checked its a shitload of C's. In hindsight, i fucked up big on easy classes) D's and C's that are the result of pure laziness.
I got a 1680 SAT and again I was lazy as fuck and didn't study anything, I had to skip like 5 questions dealing with fractions just because I completely forgot how to do that, and I forgot the author of the book Of Mice and Men so I couldn't quote that shit in the writing portion, i ran out of time and completely messed up on that.

I kind of want to take a year or two off and work while going to community college, but my dad is telling me to apply to Cal States and shit but I don't think i'll even be accepted. I like CS Fullerton since its close, Dominguez Hills, East Bay, Channel Islands, pretty much all of them.

I know some dude who got into one with a 2.8, but his SAT was like 1650, Im sure I can get at least a 1750 if I just study and remember all the basic things.
September 20, 2013 @ 23:36:07
Originally posted by Inactive User
Need some help fam, currently go to a CC and have been here racking up units for a while, anyone know what the process of transferring is like? I live in SoCal btw and the CC i go to has some sort of transfer admission guarantee program (TAG). Really got no idea which applications or forms to fill out etc and getting a counselors appointment js damn near impossible
http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/transfer/guarantee/
http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/transfer/transfer-admission-planner/index.html

Did you look at UC website or CS website? It has all info you are looking for. Even with TAG you still have to apply. Are you doing IGETC at your CC? I would make sure I had all the IGETC requirements completed before applying. If you complete this it will satisfy all of your lower division courses and depending on your major, two upper division courses as well. Would also make sure that GPA is at least 3.75 if you want to apply to UC and have no more than three or four Ws on your transcript. 
Thanks for the reply, yeah I have been completing the IGETC requirement and have the paper with all of them listed, my GPA was a 3.9 but it took a hit after I took a shortened chemistry class, honestly I'm not a dumbass because the lowest grade I got in about 2 years or so here was a B, the class just fucked me over and i'm working hard to bring my GPA back up. I have completed nearly all the requirements except for a couple classes(math and science). No W's whatsoever also. I'm just in a really stressful situation right now because I worked my ass off for that GPA and it's now like a 3.5, and if I don't apply this year to go next year I'm basically here for another 2 years. 

On a side note I don't have a declared major but I definitely know its in Science, I know TAG is varied by major but I don't know whether to declare Bio or Chem etc, sorry if this asking a bit much but what would you guys recommend? In the past I have spoken to on-campus counselors but they just want me to take more classes so I can stay here longer.

Again, appreciate any input. 
September 21, 2013 @ 02:19:23
REVS
If my GPA is really low (2.5, I don't know how much I can raise it this year) should I even apply for colleges right now or just go to community? I have a few (edit: i just checked its a shitload of C's. In hindsight, i fucked up big on easy classes) D's and C's that are the result of pure laziness.
I got a 1680 SAT and again I was lazy as fuck and didn't study anything, I had to skip like 5 questions dealing with fractions just because I completely forgot how to do that, and I forgot the author of the book Of Mice and Men so I couldn't quote that shit in the writing portion, i ran out of time and completely messed up on that.

I kind of want to take a year or two off and work while going to community college, but my dad is telling me to apply to Cal States and shit but I don't think i'll even be accepted. I like CS Fullerton since its close, Dominguez Hills, East Bay, Channel Islands, pretty much all of them.

I know some dude who got into one with a 2.8, but his SAT was like 1650, Im sure I can get at least a 1750 if I just study and remember all the basic things.
From my experience. I would say go to a CC for at least a year. There's some really good benefits to doing so. 

- Mature as a person
- Mature academically 
- Smart financially 
- You're taking the same types of courses you'd be taking at a 4-year as a freshmen (Gen-Eds)
- Like you said you can work and save money, while attending CC

I was like you in high school, well kind of. I was lazy, but my GPA and grades were a little better than yours. Back then, especially senior year, the thought of attending a CC was lame as shit and almost embarrassing as most of my friends were going off to school, and I wasn't. It sucks, but in the long-run it's a good call. 

You also open yourself to more prospective schools especially if you actually try at CC, attend class, and receive good grades. Many schools have 2+2 programs or transfer agreements with local CC's, so any schools you may be interested in you should look into that.

Again it's all different for everyone, who knows, you could attend a 4-year in the fall, buckle down, and do well. Then again, you may not. It's essentially all up to you. I'm just giving you my opinion because I was in your shoes when I was in high school.

I prefer carcinogens to endorphins.

September 21, 2013 @ 03:22:03
im in my second year of accounting and shit is dead, i dont think i can stick wit it. i dont really understand it, and i havent made much of an ffort. but i hear how stable the job security is and all that, and i dont have any other interests to switch to. idk if i would actually like the job tho. what are some other decent majors? what should i do hb
Because you dont like it or because you are not good at it? If you are good at it and don't like it, I'd suggest sticking with it. Degrees in anything math based are in high demand. Accounting degrees can go lots of places. I'm in finance and research and there are numerous people with accounting degrees in my office who don't necessarily just do accounting. You want to make money? Math or science or tech is where its at. Although its important to pursue a filed that you're interested and not base decisions solely on money, the fact is regardless of what you choose you need to consider the financial aspect of it as well. Nobody wants to have a job they love but be struggling to make it everyday. 
Both not likin it and also don't seem to be too good at it. I'm lost, can't even understand the basics but I haven't tried because I find it uninteresting. I think I needa switch but thinking about the financial aspect, I'm not sure if ill regret it..
September 21, 2013 @ 06:18:04
Just took my first bio midterm today. My prof made that the hardest shit it could have possibly been.
you go to usf?

IG: @honglzhou

September 21, 2013 @ 06:32:35
Just took my first bio midterm today. My prof made that the hardest shit it could have possibly been.
you go to usf?
nah, I might for pharm school tho. I go to UoP in Stockton
September 21, 2013 @ 17:15:56
I'll be a CC student very soon. I want study and go to NYU very very very very very much. But my application is really kinda weak and low SAT score. Cuz i've been living in Hong Kong for years and English is not my first language, and different education system comparing to the US. I'll be going to CC just because I want to study in NYU, that CC is partnership with NYU Steinhardt. Should I apply ED to let them know i'm interested in NYU first lol? Will it affect my chance of getting into NYU in the future? 
anyone can give me advice here? should I apply for ED or not, just for my future to increase the chance of getting into NYU from CC. i'm sure 100% won't get in due to my weak application.
Also is it much more harder transfer into NYU from CC? i heard the accept rate for CC students are kinda low. 
September 22, 2013 @ 04:30:45
I'm at a local community college, and I'm seriously scared for my future right now. I plan on doing something with chemistry or pharmacy, but I'm horrible with chemistry lab work. These classes can be a lot more overwhelming than I thought. Plus, I haven't really found anyone I could talk to about anything. I need more close friends whom I'd feel comfortable around. Some people are cool and all, but they wouldn't be the ones I'd speak to about anything and everything.
September 22, 2013 @ 07:02:04
I'm at a local community college, and I'm seriously scared for my future right now. I plan on doing something with chemistry or pharmacy, but I'm horrible with chemistry lab work. These classes can be a lot more overwhelming than I thought. Plus, I haven't really found anyone I could talk to about anything. I need more close friends whom I'd feel comfortable around. Some people are cool and all, but they wouldn't be the ones I'd speak to about anything and everything.
Where do you go?
September 24, 2013 @ 04:30:00
UCI, where yall at.

IG: @honglzhou

September 24, 2013 @ 06:39:16

best bet is to go to a CC. That way you can work plus find out what you want to do and maintain a solid GPA since CC is pretty easy. As far as Cal States go, I know when I applied they had a GPA SAT/ACT that you had to meet. For example if you had a 2.5 GPA, you would need X amount on you SAT to be accepted. Not sure what it is though. However if you had over 3.0 or 3.5 then they didn't even look at you SAT scores.
September 24, 2013 @ 17:15:06
naw i feel you b. but i learned fuck it friends are friends no matter there age status w/e. if your picky you not gonna have shit cuz you know dam well hs friends can go fuck themselves. time to grow up my nig.

Cmon get down with a real nigga wussup

September 24, 2013 @ 17:55:23
SB, where y'all at.
September 24, 2013 @ 17:56:57
took my first midterms for the very last time smokeyface 
September 24, 2013 @ 18:41:33
Cal Poly SLO where y'all at
September 24, 2013 @ 19:04:09
sage the gemini, problem, iamsu at calpoly pomona smokeyface
September 28, 2013 @ 06:24:41
Pasadena City College here

it's not that bad tbh, best transfer agreements besides SMC, planning to transfer into Menlo and use that as a backdoor into Stanford Business or something
September 28, 2013 @ 09:16:54

it's not that bad tbh, best transfer agreements besides SMC, planning to transfer into Menlo and use that as a backdoor into Stanford Business or something
stanford dont got a business school

This post is hidden due to user account is no longer active or improper post content.

September 29, 2013 @ 03:02:23

http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/

what
September 29, 2013 @ 04:08:00

http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/

what
I'm afraid you don't realize quite how hard GSB is to get into.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Florida State Seminole

October 22, 2013 @ 08:10:24
Trying to do something at UCR.
October 22, 2013 @ 09:46:34
Trying to do something at UCR.
Lets smoke a blunt
October 22, 2013 @ 18:13:30
ucr gang we in dis
October 22, 2013 @ 23:52:56
CSULB anybody?

HB 325 PostHardcore/Metalcore/MelodicHardcore/Punk/PopPunk/ Skacore

October 22, 2013 @ 23:58:17
why are you pursuing a field you're not good at?

Please login first to reply.
x