College Discussion Thread.

Apr 04, 2013 @ 08:06
@kh You goin in fall?

Inactive User

Apr 04, 2013 @ 21:15
Michigan and NYU are great. What do you want to do career-wise though?
not sure yet to be honest but mom's pressuring to go down her path of becoming a lawyer
Michigan has all the resources that you can ask for in an undergrad, it can be as competitive of a time as you want it to be. Some people like that, some people don't. If you're from 'that' type of family, (and since UM has outrageous OOS costs, I assume you are) you would do fine there. In my opinion, for just an undergrad, unless you're instate its hardly worth the 40k youre going to drop a semester.
Apr 04, 2013 @ 22:09
@kh You goin in fall?
ya, wbu?
Apr 05, 2013 @ 05:54
Applied to all colleges for computer science/engineering and got into SJSU, waitlisted at Davis and Irvine, and got into SB as undeclared.  
I was originally going to submit my SIR to SB as an undeclared and try and transfer into the engineering major later down the road but I've heard it's difficult.  I've also heard that SJSU has a strong engineering program as it's right in the Silicon Valley.  If I didn't get into any of my waitlisted schools, SJSU with a CS major or UCSB undeclared?  
Apr 05, 2013 @ 06:33
@kh You goin in fall?
ya, wbu?
This is my first year there its been pretty dope so far
Apr 05, 2013 @ 07:12
Originally posted by Inactive User
Applied to all colleges for computer science/engineering and got into SJSU, waitlisted at Davis and Irvine, and got into SB as undeclared.  
I was originally going to submit my SIR to SB as an undeclared and try and transfer into the engineering major later down the road but I've heard it's difficult.  I've also heard that SJSU has a strong engineering program as it's right in the Silicon Valley.  If I didn't get into any of my waitlisted schools, SJSU with a CS major or UCSB undeclared?  
Where you from? And are you a transfer student? I go to SJSU. It's aight
Apr 05, 2013 @ 18:01
yo HB how much do freshman grades really matter? Do UC's primarily consider the UC GPA (soph + junior) or your overall high school gpa? and the same question for unweighted and weighted? is it viewed equally or no?

Freshman year: 3.2 unweighted
Sophomore year: 3.6 unweight, 3.8 weight
Junior year: 3.4 unweight, 4.2 weight (taking a crazy courseload)

UC GPA as of now is 4.0 (weighted)
Overall is 3.45, but 3.7 weighted
and I scored a 1900 on SAT as a first try, hoping to score higher

in interact & key club & class council and going to commit around 300 hours volunteering at a hospital

For the guys who applied to UC's this year, what are my chances at UCI,UCSC, UCSB, and UCSD ,UCD, Calpolyslo? or what should i do to raise my chances? help a brotha out, I feel like I'm losing hope ((
Apr 05, 2013 @ 18:27
anyone go to the university of florida?
Apr 05, 2013 @ 19:17

na but i visited there and i know a ton of people who go there. i can help u. btw dont go to UM. its pretty much a rich kid who didnt get into UF school (that is, unless you want to go into med. their med program is top notch)
but yeah what do you need to know about uf? i know it all about fsu ucf uf and um

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Florida State Seminole

Apr 05, 2013 @ 21:10
Where you from? And are you a transfer student? I go to SJSU. It's aight
I'm from the East Bay.  I'm going to be a Freshman.
Apr 06, 2013 @ 22:07
ya, wbu?
This is my first year there its been pretty dope so far
what dorm do you recommend?
Apr 07, 2013 @ 06:28

na but i visited there and i know a ton of people who go there. i can help u. btw dont go to UM. its pretty much a rich kid who didnt get into UF school (that is, unless you want to go into med. their med program is top notch)
but yeah what do you need to know about uf? i know it all about fsu ucf uf and um
yea that's all I've been hearing about UM. I'm trying to study prelaw I know that they're program is really good but I just wanna know about everything else. cause it would suck to move all the way to Florida and be miserable 
Apr 07, 2013 @ 22:16
yea that's all I've been hearing about UM. I'm trying to study prelaw I know that they're program is really good but I just wanna know about everything else. cause it would suck to move all the way to Florida and be miserable 

why florida for law? umich has great law. honestly mich>UF anyday. kids here would kill to go to umich or nyu. if u come here go to uf unless you go to med (um). besides that dont waste your time by coming down here to FL if you got into some other great schools. uf is good shit, but not worth going to over umich or nyu.

Apr 07, 2013 @ 22:18
Feedback on UCLA, USC and CPSLO out of state for engineering. Financial aid options for out of state?
Apr 09, 2013 @ 02:33

why florida for law? umich has great law. honestly mich>UF anyday. kids here would kill to go to umich or nyu. if u come here go to uf unless you go to med (um). besides that dont waste your time by coming down here to FL if you got into some other great schools. uf is good shit, but not worth going to over umich or nyu.
I never heard anything good about nyu from people that go there and not feeling Mich that much. UF's law program is still really good just not to the caliber of the other two but one of the top ones in the country nonetheless and I've gotten positive feedback on everything else about it. How'd you like it when you visited?
Apr 09, 2013 @ 03:12
I never heard anything good about nyu from people that go there and not feeling Mich that much. UF's law program is still really good just not to the caliber of the other two but one of the top ones in the country nonetheless and I've gotten positive feedback on everything else about it. How'd you like it when you visited?

cool vibes. hopefully ill end up going there (or fsu). why dont you feel mich? and you dont hear anything good about nyu because of how rigorous it is and because theres no true campus. but uf was cool, just not as cool as fsu. if i got into both, and uf didnt have slightly more academic prestige, id pick fsu. hot girl ratio at fsu FAR exceeds uf, and the people at fsu are real chill. i say go for it if you can pay OOS. campus is a little more enclosed than i'd like (makes it feel a little like a high school).

Apr 10, 2013 @ 05:05
Looking at UCSD and UCI for grad since I know I won't be getting into LA after failing 2 classes in the Fall. 

Fuck life. 
Apr 13, 2013 @ 20:11
does anyone here to go berklee in boston? i'd love to go there for music production & engineering, and i've heard that they care more about the audition/interview than your academics (but i'd assume that if you have anything below a 2.0~2.5 unweighted, they probably wouldn't accept you). if you're auditioning for guitar (just as an example), is the audition hard? also, if you go there, what was your GPA when you applied?

I produce with a friend for fun. https://soundcloud.com/kopm

Apr 16, 2013 @ 22:18
bbuummppeerryy

I produce with a friend for fun. https://soundcloud.com/kopm

Apr 26, 2013 @ 21:46
anyone updated with transfer acceptance to their schools? UCLA and UCB coming out today..
Apr 26, 2013 @ 22:06
does anyone here to go berklee in boston? i'd love to go there for music production & engineering, and i've heard that they care more about the audition/interview than your academics (but i'd assume that if you have anything below a 2.0~2.5 unweighted, they probably wouldn't accept you). if you're auditioning for guitar (just as an example), is the audition hard? also, if you go there, what was your GPA when you applied?
post some of your work and I'll let you know if you're getting in
Apr 28, 2013 @ 04:28
anyone here goes to Indiana bloomington? 
I'm an Intl student direct admit to Kelley.
Apr 28, 2013 @ 05:47
damn b, got rejected to UCLA and UCI. UCLA was a reach, but UCI was my for sure in, since I tagged it. I guess they didn't want any more asians because of that damn fuck lambda suit n tie video smh
GPA ~3.49
TAG completed
IGETC completed
Pre-Reqs done by the end of this semester
Apr 28, 2013 @ 17:58
damn b, got rejected to UCLA and UCI. UCLA was a reach, but UCI was my for sure in, since I tagged it. I guess they didn't want any more asians because of that damn fuck lambda suit n tie video 
GPA ~3.49
TAG completed
IGETC completed
what'd you choose for your major? also did you apply after one or two years?
Apr 28, 2013 @ 18:28
Officially committed to UC Berkeley a week ago. College of Letters and Science studying Computer Science and Chemistry. Got the regent's scholarship too. My stats:
-In State Applicant
-3.97 unweighted GPA, 4.46 weighted
-2180 SAT, 800 Math SAT II, 800 Chemistry SAT II, 780 US History SAT II
-5 on AP Euro, AP US History, AP Chemistry, AP Physics, AP Calculus AB. 4 on AP Language Composition. 
-Extra Curricular's include stupid shit like Key Club President, City Council Activities Chairperson, Internship at UCI, Internship at a Math Olympiad training institute.
-Varsity Athletics since freshman year of High school

Absolutely stoked to be going to Cal next year. It was between Cal, Duke, and Boston University. Also got into UCLA, UCI, USC, and Swarthmore. Got rejected at UPenn and Yale, waitlisted at Columbia.
Apr 28, 2013 @ 18:36
Officially committed to UC Berkeley a week ago. College of Letters and Science studying Computer Science and Chemistry. Got the regent's scholarship too. My stats:
-In State Applicant
-5 on AP Euro, AP US History, AP Chemistry, AP Physics, AP Calculus AB. 4 on AP Language Composition. 
-Extra Curricular's include stupid shit like Key Club President, City Council Activities Chairperson, Internship at UCI, Internship at a Math Olympiad training institute.

Absolutely stoked to be going to Cal next year. It was between Cal, Duke, and Boston University. Also got into UCLA, UCI, USC, and Swarthmore. Got rejected at UPenn and Yale, waitlisted at Columbia.
I'm sweating woo. congrats
Apr 28, 2013 @ 20:34
-In State Applicant

Congrats, homie. I was already drinking when I committed to my college 4 years ago.

Enjoy your summer.
Apr 28, 2013 @ 20:38
there is absolutely no way you are doing a double major in two ridiculously hard, non-overlapping majors at cal.  you better decide which one you want to do!
Apr 28, 2013 @ 23:11
damn b, got rejected to UCLA and UCI. UCLA was a reach, but UCI was my for sure in, since I tagged it. I guess they didn't want any more asians because of that damn fuck lambda suit n tie video 
GPA ~3.49
TAG completed
IGETC completed
what'd you choose for your major? also did you apply after one or two years?
History, which I'm assuming is weak competitively and they still didn't take me. And it was two years. Going to that local state school, cannot stand another year at a cc
May 01, 2013 @ 03:30
there is absolutely no way you are doing a double major in two ridiculously hard, non-overlapping majors at cal.  you better decide which one you want to do!
Well I took AP Computer Science A my sophomore year and AP Chemistry and AP Physics my Junior year and did very well in all three classes. Of all the science classes I've taken, Chemistry stuck out to me (with the exception of Physics). There are a ton of parallels between computer science and chemistry. The internship I did at UCI was in the theoretical chemistry department, which essentially is the "in between" of physics and chem. I wrote computer program simulations and created algorithms to match and explain known phenomena. I'll prolly end up swaying towards the computer science side though. Wanna do something more towards engineering post graduation and end up working for google or apple or something doing hardware or software design. 

appreciate the thumbs and nice comments tho. glad to see hb isn't all just clusterfucks spamming the downvote button.
Please login first to reply.
HYPECHAT 0