Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
August 3, 2008 @ 02:13 PM
zangetsu13

Hey wats good Fam lay

I just need sum advice/insight on the fashion Merchandising field Im planning on majoring in the field and im hearing good things about it like its a growing field and jobs are available....but i wanna hear from you guys who are also planning on majoring in F.M or kno about the field and wat U planning on doin with the degree and wat career path U plan on persuing.....Thanks playaz

P.S im attending laboratory institute of merchandising in NYC (mad ho's..cant wait)...thinking bout transfering to F.I.T...for next fall!
August 3, 2008 @ 02:16 PM
meowmeowmeow

FADE. spit some knowledge at this *****
August 3, 2008 @ 02:23 PM
zangetsu13

werrd! FADE where U at....
August 3, 2008 @ 02:29 PM
meowmeowmeow

August 3, 2008 @ 02:30 PM
pnsho

I'll tell you it's difficult to get a big break.
August 3, 2008 @ 02:57 PM
zangetsu13

^^^Serious??...damn..need more info now pleaaaseee!
August 3, 2008 @ 05:03 PM
eMily

I was considering LIM but I can't afford it so I'm just going to stick with my original plan of applying to London College of Fashion. I'd be doing the Fashion Management course which covers marketing, merchandising, management & buying.

Fashion in general is difficult to get in to, whether it's design or business. It's a competitive field and you've got to be prepared to start at the very bottom but even then you're not guaranteed to end up using your degree.

Good luck though man.
August 3, 2008 @ 06:06 PM
hypism.

I was about to do Fashion Merchandising but I don't know really how legit it is. I just went into a Bachelor's in Business instead.
August 3, 2008 @ 06:43 PM
zangetsu13

Thanks a billion eMily...but yea LIM is jerk mad money...and cometoafrika i was thinking the same thing son....if i should just major in Business administration instead of fashion merchandising...but in the end i was like fucks it imma give F.M a go if i dislike it then ill do B.A..
August 3, 2008 @ 06:47 PM
pnsho

This is my perspective, but really, you should get your list of priorities set.

And what's this shit I keep hearing about Business Admin. = nothing?
August 3, 2008 @ 06:51 PM
zangetsu13

^^ My friend I am confused and lost....na but i have foresight of what i wanna do at L.I.M im goin in for F.M and im going to minor in marketing....i have ambitions of opening up a boutique later in life too...
August 3, 2008 @ 07:40 PM
hypism.

Hypism you're in college? I could have sworn you were suspended your Junior year and some of your upcoming Senior year...Makin up lies again huh?

I threatened the principal's family so he let me back in. Plus I was fucking the teacher after class so I got a 4.0!

This is my perspective, but really, you should get your list of priorities set.

And what's this shit I keep hearing about Business Admin. = nothing?

= nothing? what does that mean?
August 3, 2008 @ 08:11 PM
pnsho

I hear it amounts to nothing because everybody is going for it like jailbait.

It's just like the Spanish language. Sure, you can speak Spanish, but it's a dime a dozen.
August 3, 2008 @ 08:14 PM
Obeyprop

It's just like the Spanish language. Sure, you can speak Spanish, but it's a dime a dozen.

i lold
August 3, 2008 @ 08:32 PM
Freshcity

dont do it. its business for people too lazy to study business, you get a little background in the industry but you'll just end up as a rep for some shitty brand.
August 3, 2008 @ 08:33 PM
hypism.

I don't think that's really true lol. Cause what other majors are there?

I sure know that businesses would prefer you have a BA than a Psychology Major or some shit. English major maybe? Everyone has those too.

I think this is some Asian hearsay.
August 3, 2008 @ 08:35 PM
pnsho

You could always dive into Finance/Accounting.

But your life would be a total shitfest, like mine will be once I get into college.
August 4, 2008 @ 06:00 PM
zangetsu13

Any More tips/advice....????????
August 5, 2008 @ 08:00 AM
np2fast

Merchandizing = lots of work.

Like someone stated earlier you will have to start of small. I know quiet a few people with this degree. Heres a quickie at jobs you would start off with: retail associate, customer service, and other shit like that. That is how you are going to get your foot in the door. Making it up the ladder to a desiered position would take years. But once you have experience in one major store you are set.

As for Biz Admin, I have a BA in that. Havent really gone into looking for jobs yet sinse I am traveling at the moment. But this gives you a broader field to go into. Examples of this would be: store manager, accounting, customer service among the million other thing it qualifies you for once you have a BA.
August 5, 2008 @ 03:02 PM
meowmix

idk if business admin= nothing but my gf's sister graduated a few years ago with that major and has a 40k a year job right now. not bad to start.
August 5, 2008 @ 04:30 PM
KillaKate

I got my B.S in FM.(and I work in PR now, go figure)

1) If your gonna get a FM degree, dont get it at FIT. (I didnt and have heard nothing but nightmares about how shitty their program is)
2) Find a program that has a heavy business concentration. Much to what some people think, FM is about 75% business/Finance/Math. Its a shitload of work.This way if you graduate and cant find a job in fashion right away, you can get a job somewhere else in another field.
3) Whoever said youd have to start off in retail or customer service, does not know anything about this major.
4) However...Dont have hopes of graduating and becoming a fabulous buyer or creative director right off the bat. I will be the first to tell you, you have to really work your way up in this field to become what you study.
August 5, 2008 @ 06:13 PM
pnsho

KillaKate is legit.

Listen to her.
August 6, 2008 @ 06:34 PM
zangetsu13

killakate I L&)VE U!!!! THANKS 4 the info i will take it into account much appreciated......Ohh and i was thinking about transferring to FIT but now fucks it.....Have U heard of L.I.M??
August 6, 2008 @ 08:35 PM
zangetsu13

HAHAHA..Lol at Yo ANt...but yea maddd hoes in there...but Roughan i think killakate is referring to the merchandising program not the overall school.
June 25, 2012 @ 10:10 PM
johnm

check out the possibilities with a career in fashion merchandising

Fashion MErchandising

Please login first to reply.