Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
May 2, 2008 @ 04:55 AM
soulamazing.

THE POINT OF SEX IS PLEASURE. everyone knows that, and you do too. dont play dumb. the fact that it gets you pregnant is an afterthought.

and finally, money isn't just "lost" when it's spent. where did the damn money go? to the void? it just changed hands. the problem of "lost money" only occurs when there is an inefficiency which is keeping a given market from reaching its full potential. guess what, the church creates a lot of these inefficiencies. when people want and then have a child, they know they are making an investment that may or may not benefit them directly, but they almost certainly hope the child will live a fruitful life (i.e. will provide goods and services). the money in that situation is not just "lost." however if having a child you didn't want prevents you from finishing school or working at your job, then money was lost due to that ineffeciency (you believing in the church).

First of all, sex is not just for pleasure, at least to the Christians. IMO, that was a very ignorant and biased comment that you made. Unlike you, people actually preserve that special moment for life; not just having sex all around with whoever you want to. Not everyone's horny.

Secondly, you wouldn't have to worry about your financial problems if you're a Christian. Sure, families want to help their child and support them, but what family doesn't? How exactly does being a Christian mess your money up? At mass, people choose to give money, it's not mandatory, unlike some religions. And me "believing" in church? Not necessarily. Some of the church's teachings I do not agree with, mainly because those teachings are usually contradicted by the Bible. How exactly do I lose money by going to church? Do I pay for confession or the Eucharist? Do I pay to go to mass? Do I pay the priest to administer the Body of Christ? No. Most, if not all church functions are free. They don't force this religion on me. If I didn't want this religion, I would become an atheist, but that's not happening anytime soon.
May 2, 2008 @ 09:48 AM

Inactive

Do Christians realize that muslims worship the same god?

I don't really know much about the Islam religion, but I think the difference betweent he 2 religions, is Christians believe Jesus Christ is the Messiah, and muslims, think he was just a prophet, and they worship Muhammad. I could be wrong though.
May 2, 2008 @ 09:54 AM
SK1

Westside you're dismissing part of Christian theology, which is sex is only allowed in marriage and usually, being married, both wife and husband desire children. You can't dismiss that theological point, in order to say that a Christian who doesn't want a kid can't have an abortion, in the Christian ideology if you're having sex you should be married and wanting a child. So your argument is contradictory.
May 2, 2008 @ 09:59 AM
-analog-

hahah christianity is dumb, way to not have any fucking fun whatsoever, and worship a dead man and his make believe father. way to go. really sounds like your lives are much more fulfilled and meaningful then everyone elses
May 2, 2008 @ 10:02 AM
SK1

Do Christians realize that muslims worship the same god?

No this is a common misunderstanding. Muslims believe themselves to be descended from Abraham, and therefore legitimize their religion by claiming to be the true religion of Abraham, Moses etc. So a Muslim will tell you that the Islamic God is the same God of the Bible, but this would not be true for a Jew. Jews would consider Islam a heresy, and therefore would never say that Muslims worshiped the Jewish God. If you see many early Christian and Jewish writings, concerning Islam, they are highly critical of it and consider it Heretical. In the Middle Ages, many Jewish and Christian theologians considered Muhammad to have been possessed by Satan, some Christians said he was the Anti-Christ.
May 2, 2008 @ 10:05 AM
SK1

hahah christianity is dumb, way to not have any fucking fun whatsoever, and worship a dead man and his make believe father. way to go. really sounds like your lives are much more fulfilled and meaningful then everyone elses

Profound and original.
May 2, 2008 @ 10:06 AM
CHEEP

why did jesus say "my god, why have you forsaken me" just before he died on the cross? if he was god, as you claim, wouldnt this be a conflict?
May 2, 2008 @ 10:17 AM
SK1

why did jesus say "my god, why have you forsaken me" just before he died on the cross? if he was god, as you claim, wouldnt this be a conflict?

I'm going to have to let a Christian answer that one.
May 2, 2008 @ 10:20 AM
-analog-

jesus sucks dog balls
May 2, 2008 @ 10:25 AM
SK1

I mean if I had to give a simple philosophical answer, since I do philosophy not theology, one could say we do not need to understand, we need to have faith, God is God and can do whatever he wants. I think Augustine may have solved this issue by saying God was "Omnipresent".
"omnipresent'
'present in all places at all times'"

Now what the Biblical text actually says on this issue, or what the common held Christian view of this is, I'm unsure.
May 2, 2008 @ 10:28 AM
-analog-

and to all you believers im sure jesus loves you for buying a bunch of shoes made by kids in sweatshops, and other over priced clothing to make yourselves look good

what would jesus do?
May 2, 2008 @ 11:36 AM
SK1

Being Christian is a choice, its not like this is 15th century Spain.
May 2, 2008 @ 11:37 AM
CHEEP

for those who say that it is not the religion, but the people in it who do evil things... what is a religion without people? what is god without people who believe in him? you can not separate the things.
May 2, 2008 @ 11:40 AM
CHEEP

Being Christian is a choice, its not like this is 15th century Spain.

is it? what about people who are born into it? who are made to go to church every sunday from the time they are infants? what about those baptised as infants?
May 2, 2008 @ 11:41 AM
AntonyT

this thread sucks
May 2, 2008 @ 11:42 AM
SK1

for those who say that it is not the religion, but the people in it who do evil things... what is a religion without people? what is god without people who believe in him? you can not separate the things.

Hmm. I think we need to separate motivations to commit certain acts. Many of the evil acts ascribed to religion were actually politically motivated, and were not at all theologically motivated. Therefore if you are motivated by something else besides your religion to commit a certain action, and then tell people it was committed because of your religion, it was the man and not the religion, although it would be easy to point to the religion. But religion is a concept, a concept cannot commit actions, the people do.
May 2, 2008 @ 11:51 AM
CHEEP

how do you think jesus would feel about the church today?
May 2, 2008 @ 01:47 PM

Inactive

jesus sucks dog balls

Dude, stfu. Youre an idiot.
May 2, 2008 @ 02:21 PM
-analog-

Lulz ur an idiot for even responding to that
May 2, 2008 @ 02:32 PM
SK1

is it? what about people who are born into it? who are made to go to church every sunday from the time they are infants? what about those baptised as infants?

Yes that is how most people choose their religion. They choose to take the religion of their mother or their father. But that doesn't mean it is forced. There is a compulsion and a conditioning which I most definitely don't need to be educated on. The problem is not the religion though, the problem is the European Authoritarian society, which dictates authority to be taken unquestionably. The normal European views their Church or Pastor or Priest as an authority figure and therefore, not willing to challenge that authority and being conditioned not to, they continue to follow it unquestionably into their adult life, and then bring their children in it as well. But there is still choice here, I believe in Free Will. I say this because I know many people who were bapitsed and brought up as Christians but chose to follow a new path, in Europe this has become the mainstream, most adults were brought up Christian but have chosen now to be Agnostic or Atheist. Church numbers are incredibly low in Europe and the United States. If people didn't have a choice we would not see this trend continuing and increasing.

Its the people themselves who need work, the people and their institutions, the religion is not the problem.
May 2, 2008 @ 02:34 PM
CHEEP

maybe the religion is the problem, and thats why people are leaving the church.
May 2, 2008 @ 02:37 PM
-analog-

people are so blind and scared, take of the blindfold and grow some balls ppl
May 2, 2008 @ 03:54 PM
SK1

maybe the religion is the problem, and thats why people are leaving the church.

Maybe. Then again this religion has existed for over two thousand years, so I'm guessing its the people.
May 2, 2008 @ 05:43 PM
soulamazing.

and to all you believers im sure jesus loves you for buying a bunch of shoes made by kids in sweatshops, and other over priced clothing to make yourselves look good

Well, here's a question for you. Jesus wore clothes, didn't he?
May 2, 2008 @ 05:44 PM
soulamazing.

you are surely retarded.

There's obviously no sense in arguing with an ignorant jerk like yourself. At least make yourself look intelligent next time.
May 2, 2008 @ 06:17 PM
SK1

God is fake

You can't use human language to describe God.
May 2, 2008 @ 06:25 PM
soulamazing.

You can't use human language to describe God.

I think, other than cheep, you are the most respectable person on this thread. +REP.
May 2, 2008 @ 06:35 PM
pnsho

Well, here's a question for you. Jesus wore clothes, didn't he?

But he didn't rock Supreme made in workshops like we do.
May 2, 2008 @ 06:41 PM
SK1

I'm not sure if we should presume to know what God thinks about a certain issue, such as buying shirts made in a sweatshop.

That issue is not so easy as to say, "don't buy anything from a sweatshop, its slavery, shut them all down, etc." The truth is, for many people these are the only jobs available in their region, it is their only source of income, and while their pay may look like shit to us, in many of these countries it affords them enough to survive.
If those sweatshops are shut down, by people boycotting them, please tell me where the people will find new jobs? How are they going to survive?
May 2, 2008 @ 06:58 PM
SK1

So why is there a Bible?

Well if I was a theologian I think I could explain that a bit better than I can from a philosopher's standpoint. From my knowledge of Judaism and Christianity, I would explain it like this: there are 2 aspects of God. In Judaism there are these two Aspects (among Talmudic scholars, Kabbalists etc). 1. God Himself (omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent) and 2. The revealed aspect of God in the universe. I think we see this principle reflected in the New Testament very outright, with the first aspect of God being God Himself (omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent), and another aspect being Christ (the revealed form). So from the theological aspect we can learn from these books about God's nature, through the revealed Aspect, but God's nature in itself is something we can only feel and experience.

Please login first to reply.