April 29, 2008 @ 01:20 PM
rabboarder

i explained that i dont care because it doesnt matter. it's not my job to figure that out. being incurious is good sometimes.

True. However, personally, I do not feel that this is one of those times smile
April 29, 2008 @ 01:20 PM
rabboarder

this is just as bad as quoting the bible. this isn't a scholarly work. it's called "the case for faith" for christ's sake.

Regardless of the title of the book, the person speaking was Walter L. Bradley, author of The Mystery of Life
April 29, 2008 @ 01:21 PM
rabboarder

That and the fact that noone has ever seen the old fart.smile

The validity of the Bible can be proven. And not believing in something that you
rabboarder

You know that people can have all of this without religion right?
And actually Buddhism teaches the same results.

Please inform me on the teachings of Buddhism. What do Buddhists believe?
rabboarder

ok how about the part that says pray in thy closet in privacy?

The whole point of those verses is not to be a hypocrite when you pray. Therefore, it
April 29, 2008 @ 01:22 PM
rabboarder

I think that, in the Western World, we are seeing a very large gap in education, which will continue to widen as science, psychology, and the Technocrats increase their power. The gap I am talking about is a proper education in Theology and Philosophy, especially in the secondary school years (13-1cool. What I am observing is a thought common in the society of an educated, intellectual person being an "Atheist," knowing Darwin's theory, psychology, etc etc. Meanwhile a "Theist," and especially "Christians" in the U.S. and Europe are thought of as brainwashed, irrational for belief in something unproven, not as educated, close minded etc etc. I will definitely point out that many Christians are these things, however that point does not distract me from the fact that many of the Atheist's beliefs and practices are no better than those long held by Christians, Jews, Muslims etc. The Philosopher Wittgenstein, in the early 20th century, said that today we view Science and Psychology just as the Greeks viewed Myth and Legend. But, for a Logistician such as Wittgenstein, this is illogical, since for him, and other mathematicians in the same mind such as Husserl, and of course Russell, there was no logical foundation for arithmetics and therefore mathematics, and led to Heidegger and others to question the foundation of Science and Psychology as well. What I mean by this is some of the questions surrounding God which the Atheist may view as easy pickings against a Christian, are the same questions which could be aimed at a Darwinist Atheist. The first thing to point out in resolving this matter is that Religion and Science are answering two different types of questions, and it is therefore not fair for an Atheist to try and use a Scientific explanation for the beginning of the Universe as contradiction to say: Genesis. Likewise, it is illogical to use a Psychological argument against the existence of a Soul or Morality, ethics, or justice. Therefore I think that the point the Atheists brings up often, that belief in God is unproven, or irrational etc, is in itself illogical, since many of the Atheists belief which lead him to this proposition have an unproven foundation themselves. Faith is key here, for a True Believer the question which an Atheist may rise against him, are not questions for him at all, those questions may not have been answered, or he may have given himself questions for those answers. The trouble which appears is when this Believer thinks he can get others to understand his answers or answer an Atheists question such as "prove God exists" etc. This is illogical, a person's faith should be there own, and this is something which should be understood by Christians as well as Atheists. Of course I find it troublesome that the teaching of atheistic works, such as the Origin of Species by Darwin is almost mandatory, while the great works of some Christian theologians, scientists, and philosophers are hardly even known to the general person any longer. There is much more readership in Christianity beyond merely the Bible, there is the two biggest names, Augustine and Aquinas, two names I think should be mandatory in a European Christian dominant world. But these names are barely spoken, and I think that the young intellectual, thrust into the world without knowledge of great theological and philosophical works, and only being confronted by atheistic material and theories such as the Big Bang, evolution, relativity etc, can very easily fall into the plague that is atheism. In my mind, this education is no better than the ignorant Christian brainwashing their child into an illusory faith. I think we must remember that some of the greatest minds in history, people who knew far more than we as individuals do, still were Christians, and proud to be. It is not very logical, in my mind, to simply dismiss an ideology that has persisted now for over 2,000 years. On that note I would like to suggest a book, The Gospels in Brief by Leo Tolstoy, who many consider to be one of the greatest writers of all time. Wittgenstein credited this book to keeping him alive while fighting in World War One, although, he was Jewish.

(note: I'm not Christian, Jewish, or Muslim)

I read this sometime last week and I agreed with a lot of it. I
April 29, 2008 @ 01:22 PM
rabboarder

hmmmm... i completely disagree, but this is a battle of opinion, so there is no way to win. but yeah, that's not what a tautology is, just FYI.

but yeah, it raises the point that in religion, particularly religions founded on the judeo-christian god, anytime there is a question that cannot be explained by reason, the answer is "god." no further exploration or questioning. this is intellectually immature.

I
April 29, 2008 @ 01:48 PM
meowmeowmeow

^^ something we know now is that those proteins necessary to create DNA can be made with the conditions the earth was in biillions of years ago. The many types of gases, water and electricity made it possible. The lightning on earth over the years (or even in just a matter of days) could join many of the gases and water to create the basic proteins needed to create life
April 29, 2008 @ 02:22 PM
rabboarder

^
Stanley Miller at the University of Chicago conducted an experiment in which he recreated the atmosphere of the primitive earth in a laboratory and shot electricity through it to simulate the effects of lightning. Before long, he found that amino acids
April 29, 2008 @ 02:35 PM
-analog-

yet is there any evidence whatsoever that "GOD"/"a GOD"/"GODS" created anything?
April 29, 2008 @ 02:35 PM
-analog-

No there isnt
April 29, 2008 @ 02:40 PM
rabboarder

yet is there any evidence whatsoever that "GOD"/"a GOD"/"GODS" created anything?

Certainly.
April 29, 2008 @ 02:44 PM
-analog-

show meh teh gods
April 29, 2008 @ 02:45 PM
-analog-

god doesnt do anything
April 29, 2008 @ 02:46 PM
rabboarder

April 29, 2008 @ 02:47 PM
-analog-

just makes people sound fucking stupid like yourself
April 29, 2008 @ 02:54 PM
-analog-

proof is not an essay some jackass typed up trying to sound like he knows what hes talking about and put on a website with a bunch of other christian bullshit
April 29, 2008 @ 02:54 PM
rabboarder

I think it'd be easier if you consolidated your thoughts into one post instead of posting 3+ consecutive ones.

Also, I really have to LOL at you. Instead of coming into a thread like this to be an idiot and throw names around, why don't you be mature and respectful like everyone else has been and offer something intelligent to the discussion. You have my sincerest condolences if you lacked that sort of teaching in your upbringing.
April 29, 2008 @ 02:57 PM
-analog-

I think it'd be easier if you consolidated your thoughts into one post instead of posting 3+ consecutive ones.

Also, I really have to LOL at you. Instead of coming into a thread like this to be an idiot and throw names around, why don't you be mature and respectful like everyone else has been and offer something intelligent to the discussion. You have my sincerest condolences if you lacked that sort of teaching in your upbringing.

u said god certainly exists, i said prove it, u put up a link to a website run by a bunch of money loving christians

****proof is not an essay some jackass typed up trying to sound like he knows what hes talking about and put on a website with a bunch of other christian bullshit*****
April 29, 2008 @ 02:58 PM
rabboarder

proof is not an essay some jackass typed up trying to sound like he knows what hes talking about and put on a website with a bunch of other christian bullshit

More than likely you decided that it was too lengthy and you're not going to read it.

In any event, I again find it ludicrous that people automatically discredit something just because it has "Christian" or "religion" labeled to it.

Hey, I'm a Christian and I say that the earth is round. I guess you can't believe that anymore.
April 29, 2008 @ 03:00 PM
-analog-

April 29, 2008 @ 03:03 PM
rabboarder

There's clearly no use in arguing with someone as asinine and immature as you.

If anyone actually does read the argument and would like to discuss it, then I'm all ears (or I guess eyes as far as the internet is concerned).
April 29, 2008 @ 03:05 PM
-analog-

Lulz
April 29, 2008 @ 03:17 PM
-analog-

anyways man i have no doubts in what i think, you obviously do,
i need no other person/thing/god to help me live my life to the fullest and to be a good person, any one who believes in god deserves to live their life in false hope and false security anyway, have fun
April 29, 2008 @ 08:46 PM
Makepeace

it's because religion is FAKE, especially Christianity. The founders of the religion were so articulate and intelligent that even in those years they devised a way to set themselves from the earlier religions. They incorporated the idea of having missionaries that would further more progress Christianity into mainstream Europe.

Hope that clears things up and know that there is no hell.

-KickaPop

hmph co-sign my friend
religion is more like a fear mechanism to have your mind constricted to a "belief"..religion like an opinion constructed by a powerful figure who conveys the feeble pliable hopeless mind's of a mass...in hope's to achieve a greater connection in this "universe" we live in.

Bless.

April 29, 2008 @ 09:38 PM
sydneysneaker

anyone here going to WYD here in sydney??
April 30, 2008 @ 04:17 AM
Jimmmy

nothin said here will ever change anyones opinions.
if i had the power i would lock this thread now, it causes nuthin but negativity and bitching how someones view is wrong.

the truly open minded and smart people are the ones that figure things out for themselves. Go to church, or take a liberated biology class. Learn everything, read the bible and read scientific journals. (not implying all science is contradictory to religion).
But the point is people natually are going to develope their own opinions, and not just follow and accept someone elses view, mainly becuase the human know the completely neutral opinion doesnt exist.
i skimmed through this thread and i didnt read one pos tthat had any substance to it, this whole argument is just over so many of your heads.
the majority of you are too young to have such strong opinions, try to be mellow person and just do your own thing. be Open Minded. thas my main thing.
April 30, 2008 @ 08:25 AM

Inactive

^ I agree w/ your post. But how are you too young to have your own opinion. I'm 20 is that too young?
April 30, 2008 @ 11:34 AM
pikafire69

this article is pesudo science/logic. it's ridiculous for anyone to beleive his argument, it simply doesn't make sense.
April 30, 2008 @ 11:44 AM
Hardbodycore

Please login first to reply.