SALE - Up to 70% Off - Shop Now
February 1, 2008 @ 09:30 AM
fiasco-bengal

i've heard that alot of sneakers are made in sweat shops in 3rd world countries were the workers are paid hardly anything i heard nike do this would this put you off buying them or would u still buy sneakers
February 1, 2008 @ 09:44 AM
sydneysneaker

^did you just watch just for kicks??
February 1, 2008 @ 10:21 AM
Makepeace

lmfao
it is all true about the sweat shops...yes all name brand companies use little malaysian children for their dirty work.But i guess thats life in its cruelty...

Bless.

February 1, 2008 @ 10:42 AM
-analog-

everything u own comes from the suffering of someone else or some other animal pretty much
February 1, 2008 @ 10:43 AM
-analog-

clothes wise*
February 1, 2008 @ 11:36 AM
CanIKickIt?

So? If it was made by people being paid the equivalent of our mininum wage those special edition Nikes would cost a kidney. Plus, if it wasnt for Nike theyd be picking rice for a tenth of what they make now.
February 1, 2008 @ 12:53 PM
rabboarder

^I'm pretty sure that Nike could afford to double the workers' wages without the price of the product going up at all....
February 1, 2008 @ 01:41 PM

Inactive

by the hands of some 10 y.o. virgin kids
&)
February 1, 2008 @ 01:58 PM
superveelain

nike and gap are famous for this
wake up
February 1, 2008 @ 02:02 PM

Inactive

Well when a Daddy Sneaker really loves Mommy Sneaker....
February 1, 2008 @ 02:04 PM

Inactive

[SIZE="7"][FONT="Arial Black"]=[/FONT][/SIZE]
February 1, 2008 @ 02:25 PM
HipHopPunk

get over this already...it maybe consider bad by our standards but to them, it provides them a job so they have money to eat and live. its either that or nothing.
February 1, 2008 @ 04:26 PM
nickcosulich

In the case of Nike I believe a lot of their stuff is made through independent contractors for which they have very little control over how the factory is run. Basically Nike pays them X dollars for the product, and the factory makes sure they get what they want by any means.

The ethical issue here tho is should Nike take responsibility for how the workers of these factories are treated, even tho they don't own the factory. The argument can go both ways really. You could say it's not Nike's fault in that they aren't running show, just paying. Or you could say the factory is only running because Nike is all of their business, and they should make sure there products are made ethically.

The best thing Nike can do in my opinion is make sure they do ethical audits on there manufacturers from time to time. Make sure the factory is abiding the local government laws for the country the stuff is made in. This is difficult tho as often these places will have 2 sets of books, and will restrict you from talking to their workers. It should however still be done.

If your still worried about how where your stuff is coming from and what child created it shop smart. Brands like Alife, and Supreme have a lot of their production done in Canada, and even Diamond and TH have their tees at least screened in the USA. This stuff may run at a premium because of it, but at least you know some 8 year old kid didn't sew your hoodie.
February 1, 2008 @ 05:08 PM
STI Guy

wow have you been living under a freakin rock? everyone knows this.
February 2, 2008 @ 12:39 PM
MilliTV

this is funny cuz a co-worker of mine called me a "badboy" for rockin nikes bcuz she claimed that nike pays shit wages an there employees are raped. This is coming from a person that does not use toothpaste because she believes its posion since the label says "DO NOT SWALLOW".
My honest opinion is that EVERYTHING some how some way is created by someone elses suffering, I do not support that what so ever, but unfortunately there is little I can do. Till then my feet will be covered by heat.
February 2, 2008 @ 12:40 PM
nucky

I could care less

Please login first to reply.