SALE - Up to 70% Off - Shop Now
December 10, 2007 @ 01:01 PM
ZeitGeist

I'm reading Edgar Allan Poe short stories right now. Pretty good stuff.
December 10, 2007 @ 01:03 PM
FartsInYaMouth

*BLACK PEOPLE THIS THREAD DOES NOT APPLY TO YOU, YOU CAN NOT READ*
December 10, 2007 @ 11:44 PM
FearItSelf

has anyone read Theodore Kaczynski's Manifesto (the Unabomber)

yo vans, I spent like a week working on it. I.e trying to read it. Didn't complete it, by far the most dense thing i have ever read, that and martin luther's work. I recommend finding like cliffnotes or summaries of his ideas and ocncepts. Really interesting concepts and ideas, but you will die trying to finish it
December 10, 2007 @ 11:48 PM
Canvas08

"And then there were none" Agatha Christie

The judge faked his death and killed all of them.
December 10, 2007 @ 11:54 PM
fang

NOOOOO YOU BITCH! YOU BITCH!!
December 11, 2007 @ 01:29 AM
GnihtynA

lol
December 11, 2007 @ 06:56 AM
YTheLastMan

War and Peace by Fyodor Dostoyevsky...

yeah right, fuck that book.

suggested reading: any short stories by hawthorne or hemingway. i dig young goodman brown for hawthorne and the snows of kilimanjaro for hemingway

Dotoevsky didn't write War and Peace you fucking troglodyte.

I'm also curious to see if Charged was able to grasp any of the themes in Crime and Punishment. I do feel bad for you guys having to read shite translations, it's much different in the original language. I think the book as a whole feels more real if you have grandparents who lived around the areas where the end of the book takes place (not trying to spoil anything), so you get a feeling for what he goes through.

I like The Brothers Karamazov more than Crime and Punishment but maybe that's because I've gotten older. Both stories are fairly convoluted, especially if you're reading a translation.

My favorite author is probably Kurt Vonnegut. I'm also a big fan of Bret Easton Ellis. I've read everything Ellis has published.

I'm a Lit major, so, I guess me being a reader is normal. I just wish we covered something that's fun to read as opposed to Beowulf and pretty much all British literature as a whole. Jane Austen isn't fun to sit through.

I'm thinking of changing majors actually, heh.
December 11, 2007 @ 09:39 AM
ZeitGeist

The judge faked his death and killed all of them.

I just read that a couple weeks ago, so nyah.
December 11, 2007 @ 09:41 AM
fedor

I'm also curious to see if Charged was able to grasp any of the themes in Crime and Punishment. I do feel bad for you guys having to read shite translations, it's much different in the original language. I think the book as a whole feels more real if you have grandparents who lived around the areas where the end of the book takes place (not trying to spoil anything), so you get a feeling for what he goes through.

I like The Brothers Karamazov more than Crime and Punishment but maybe that's because I've gotten older. Both stories are fairly convoluted, especially if you're reading a translation.

My favorite author is probably Kurt Vonnegut. I'm also a big fan of Bret Easton Ellis. I've read everything Ellis has published.

I'm a Lit major, so, I guess me being a reader is normal. I just wish we covered something that's fun to read as opposed to Beowulf and pretty much all British literature as a whole. Jane Austen isn't fun to sit through.

I'm thinking of changing majors actually, heh.

I remember my dad giving me Sirens of Titan to read in 7th grade. After that I read a ton of Vonnegut. His books opened me up to a lot of other books. I would like to go back and read The Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment again. Both are damn good books. I've been meaning to read more Ellis too. I thought American Psycho was a really good book.

I thought Pride and Prejudice was a good read though. I was surprised by that because I started reading it thinking I was going to hate it.

I haven't really read anything lately. Tried to start Dangerous Visions, The Wanderer by Fritz Leiber and Pattern Recognition by William Gibson but just couldn't get into them. Before that the last things I read were Choosing Death, a book about the history of death metal and grindcore, and Billions and Billions by Carl Sagan.
December 11, 2007 @ 01:52 PM
Mute

Im starting The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

So far its a great book w/ tons of really vivid imagery

Great Read

have you read No Country For Old Men....excellent book. McCarthy is a great author. the movie was good too, from what i heard.

Vonnegut, Kesey, Huxley, Grisham (when i'm feeling mysterious, no homo), and Asimov are some of my favorites.

currently i'm swamped w/finals so no outside book, but I actually have been flippin through the Odyssey a lot lately, catchin up on my ancient mythological Greek.
December 23, 2007 @ 06:30 PM
jay3091

"And then there were none" Agatha Christie

That's a good one. I read that in 7th grade in my Mysteries class.
December 23, 2007 @ 07:09 PM
fang

o woops. tolstoy. not "dotoevsky," my bad. how could i have fucked that up. simple mistake, right? unforgivable.
December 23, 2007 @ 10:16 PM
YTheLastMan

Vonnegut, Kesey, Huxley, Grisham (when i'm feeling mysterious, no homo), and Asimov are some of my favorites.

Random, but I totally work with someone related to him, like grand child or nephew or some shit, heh.

And yes Jonfang, my s key sucks, sowee. smile
December 24, 2007 @ 11:16 AM
BeccathePromoM

good reads
i'm from chicago :: so i just read chicago, city on the make by nelson algren :: its a great prose poem about his love hate relationship with chicago in the 50s

and the rabbit novels by john updike :: im starting the second one now. extremely talented writer. his observations are disturbing

i also recommend nowhere man by hemon and everything illuminated OR extremely loud and incredibly close by jonathan safran foer
December 24, 2007 @ 02:51 PM
SK1

I'm currently in love with The Brothers Karamazov, my first book of Russian literature but its opened up my eyes a lot. I picked up War and Peace by Tolstoy to read next. Also got some Russian poetry that I really like, some of which Dostoevsky quotes and cites in Brothers Karamazov.

Other books I've read recently and really liked were Slaughterhouse 5 by Vonnegut, also Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein, such amazing stuff. I'm a philosophy major so I read a lot of philosophical texts, read Edmund Husserl's Ideas I which was just revolutionary for me. I read Candide by Voltaire recently which I consider one of the greatest novels ever written.

I'm also into history and I read Thucydides History of the Peloponnesian War which is a tremendous insight into society, politics, and power. Speaking of Greeks I'm in an ongoing quest to read all of Plato's dialogues, the ones I read recently were Meno and Parmenides, Meno is so spiritual it could almost be a religious text.

Anyway, the sections Grand Inquisitor and Rebellion in Brothers Karamazov are pure genius, can't even describe it properly.
December 24, 2007 @ 03:01 PM
NHMarco

I'm supposed to be reading The Sun Also Rises, by Ernest Hemmingway for school

but I'm reading my own books instead:
Ugly - Constance Briscoe
Mao's Last Dancer - Li Cunxin
Dead Simple - Peter James
You Suck - Christopher Moore

I guess I like autobiographies :D
December 24, 2007 @ 03:40 PM
Jolin

Currently i am reading "The Four Agreements" by Miguel Ruiz. If your into life and how things work around you this is a good book. It takes you a bit to get into it. SO i would recommend if you buy it read it once, then ever so often read it again to remind you its pretty dope...

this is what the book covers...

1. Be Impeccable With Your Word
Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don't Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don't Make Assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.

heres the official site tooo http://www.miguelruiz.com/fouragreements.html
cool
December 24, 2007 @ 08:11 PM
clou

read a tale of two cities, and just finished writing a final paper on it, what,what now

Some of the kids in my grade 8 English class read that haha. It was an advanced class and those kids were hella smart.

I'm reading the Namesake right now but I find it boring. Only read the first few chapters though.
December 24, 2007 @ 08:27 PM
Savvy

Im starting The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

So far its a great book w/ tons of really vivid imagery

Great Read

The Road was a great book..i highly recommend it if your looking for a good read
December 24, 2007 @ 10:36 PM
SK1

I read that in school also, I know I liked it but I don't remember it very well now that I think about it.

Catch-22 is really good too.
December 25, 2007 @ 10:41 PM
RadBanana

Some of the kids in my grade 8 English class read that haha. It was an advanced class and those kids were hella smart.

I'm reading the Namesake right now but I find it boring. Only read the first few chapters though.

your saying that your in 8th grade?
December 25, 2007 @ 11:53 PM
get___ill

currently reading house of leaves by mark z. danielewski

also....nothing crazy, just a good read, but im reading a book on phil ramone (recording engineer/producer who's worked with sinatra, dylan, paul simon, etc)
December 26, 2007 @ 12:37 AM
clou

your saying that your in 8th grade?

No, that was years ago. I'm a senior now.
December 26, 2007 @ 02:35 PM
lisenced2ill

"where the red fern grows" makes me cry
December 26, 2007 @ 02:42 PM
brianAndImFromChicago

i remember that!
December 26, 2007 @ 03:07 PM

by far my favorite hemingway book. Soooo good.

a lot of talk about russian novelists...did anyone read any Nabokov? He wrote in russian and then in english, most notably lolita. The book is actually much funnier than most people give it credit for, but Despair stands out as my favorite of his work.

I saw someone mention Carl Sagan earlier...I just finished reading Cosmos after not having picked it up in like 3 years. His book Science as a Candle in the Dark should be required reading for all students. Also, Dragons of Eden, which is like a laymen's version on the evolution of the human brain. He's the man. Science's Michael Lewis.

speaking of Michael Lewis, I just finished reading The Blind Side. Great book for football fans.
February 15, 2008 @ 12:15 PM
Alex de Large

Can death be sleep, when life is but a dream,
And scenes of bliss pass as a phantom by?
The transient pleasures as a vision seem,
And yet we think the greatest pain's to die.

How strange it is that man on earth should roam,
And lead a life of woe, but not forsake
His rugged path; nor dare he view alone
His future doom which is but to awake

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Keats
February 15, 2008 @ 06:09 PM
pnsho

William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience.
February 15, 2008 @ 06:31 PM

Inactive

Achilles in Vietnam + Iliad = intense
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
A Raisin in the Sun
February 15, 2008 @ 06:32 PM
magneticman

William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience.

did that for my A-levels..

analysed nearly every single one..

Please login first to reply.