FALL SALE - 20% OFF - USE CODE: FALL20 (24 HOURS LEFT)
May 26, 2006 @ 06:05 PM
PaperSteadyGro

hey whats up HYPE .. i am 17 and past my driving test just last week .. In NY u have to be 18 to get a license .. i took a drivers ed course so i was able to get it at 17 .. I am going to get my own car this summer and be added to my mothers insurance .. Does any1 have a ballpark on how much my insurance would be ?? ...... and even if i dont add to my mother insurance and went under my own name .. how much would that be ?? thanks a lot for any1 who can help me out here
May 26, 2006 @ 07:56 PM
-NegRepBandit

hey whats up HYPE .. i am 17 and past my driving test just last week .. In NY u have to be 18 to get a license .. i took a drivers ed course so i was able to get it at 17 .. I am going to get my own car this summer and be added to my mothers insurance .. Does any1 have a ballpark on how much my insurance would be ?? ...... and even if i dont add to my mother insurance and went under my own name .. how much would that be ?? thanks a lot for any1 who can help me out here

good luck with that. i dont know how much it is in NY, but here in CA, my shit is off the roof. same scenario, only diff is i got mine when i was 16, and started drivin when i was 17. expect well over a grand.
May 26, 2006 @ 08:16 PM
Theseventhletter

fam th einsurance company is gonna make u grab ya ankles im 20 and i pay well over a 1200 kuz as of last month im drivin a restored 76 camaro with a 350 under the hood i work 2 pay for gas and insurance lol
May 26, 2006 @ 10:25 PM
Kicks Reign Supreme

PUT IT UNDER YOUR PARENTS NAME!! If you under 21, ANY insurance company will jerk every penny out of your pocket.
May 27, 2006 @ 12:55 AM

Inactive

push a wack car save yoru dough
May 27, 2006 @ 10:49 PM
passivaggressiv

How much you pay might depend on:

-Type of car you drive
-Your driving history (since you have none, it MAY depend on your mother's driving history)
-How much coverage you want (or don't want)

I got quotes, for myself (under my mother's policy). For full coverage of myself (21 yrs old):

1999 BMW M3: ~456 for 6 months
1999 2001 Civic: ~200 for 6 months

and a bunch more, which I can't remember at the moment.

Btw, to the original poster: Jay-Z/Your Username/Your Sig/Reasonable Doubt = DOPE.

Been bumping reasonable doubt at least once a day for the past couple of months!
May 28, 2006 @ 09:49 PM
danegerous

PUT IT UNDER YOUR PARENTS NAME!! If you under 21, ANY insurance company will jerk every penny out of your pocket.

This is wrong. If you own the car ( as in the title is in your name) it is illegal in all states but Texas to insure it on your mom's policy. There are two reasons why.

1) Since you and you alone have legal responsibility in that car, you are the legal risk associated with it. Therefore, you have to be charged rates that apply directly to you, not to your mom. It is considered a federal crime to purposely ellude the actual rate you are suppose to be charged. It is called RATE EVASION and is 100% illegal.

2) Let's say for instance you and your mom aren't on good terms for whatever reason. Then one day you total your car. If the car is on your mom's policy, legally the insurance company has to make the check out to your mom because she is the named insured. But what about you? you have no legal backing from us or the government, because you were lying to begin with.

So, there are only two ways for it to be on your mom's policy. 1) Have the vehicle in her name and 2) have it cosigned with her name (but this will only work if it's the only item on the policy).

----------------------------------------------------------

As for rates, you most likely will be nowhere near $600. I'm guessing in the $1500 range...depending on whether you want collision and comprehensive, too. NY is not a low risk state, lots of bad drivers and lots of theft and vandalism. Maybe around $750-$900 for just liability.

Well, anyway...I work for a major insurance company and have for the last 5 years. I have my liscence in 18 states and am very involved in the insurance industry, so...
May 29, 2006 @ 01:07 AM
Kicks Reign Supreme

This is wrong. If you own the car ( as in the title is in your name) it is illegal in all states but Texas to insure it on your mom's policy. There are two reasons why.

1) Since you and you alone have legal responsibility in that car, you are the legal risk associated with it. Therefore, you have to be charged rates that apply directly to you, not to your mom. It is considered a federal crime to purposely ellude the actual rate you are suppose to be charged. It is called RATE EVASION and is 100% illegal.

2) Let's say for instance you and your mom aren't on good terms for whatever reason. Then one day you total your car. If the car is on your mom's policy, legally the insurance company has to make the check out to your mom because she is the named insured. But what about you? you have no legal backing from us or the government, because you were lying to begin with.

So, there are only two ways for it to be on your mom's policy. 1) Have the vehicle in her name and 2) have it cosigned with her name (but this will only work if it's the only item on the policy).

----------------------------------------------------------

As for rates, you most likely will be nowhere near $600. I'm guessing in the $1500 range...depending on whether you want collision and comprehensive, too. NY is not a low risk state, lots of bad drivers and lots of theft and vandalism. Maybe around $750-$900 for just liability.

Well, anyway...I work for a major insurance company and have for the last 5 years. I have my liscence in 18 states and am very involved in the insurance industry, so...

Thanks a lot, smarty pants. Just joking, I posted that because I got screwed over numerous times when I was 18. I also have my license in various states, 4 to be exact, but you do have it down to a science, since you work for THE MAN!! I'll take down some notes.
May 29, 2006 @ 01:15 AM
danegerous

i meant insurance license in 18 states, not drivers...haha.

i didnt mean to be "that guy" i just kind of take it seriously.
May 29, 2006 @ 10:36 AM
PaperSteadyGro

Danegerous thanks for your insight . and the great information . i apreciate it .
.......... I'll take down some notes.

pasagres. - Yeap! Let's take it back to Reasonable Doubt times .. lol
December 13, 2010 @ 04:31 PM
randle210

17 your parents should be paying

Please login first to reply.