June 20, 2007 @ 03:44 AM
~~~~

Moscow,Russia

NEW YORK -Moscow is the world's most expensive city for the second year in a row, thanks to an appreciating ruble and rising housing costs, a new survey reports.

The cost of living for expatriates in the Russian capital is nearly 35 percent higher than in New York, which served as the base city for the survey released Monday.

London, estimated at 26 percent more expensive than New York, climbed three spots to second place on a strengthening British pound and steep rental prices.

In Moscow, a luxury two-bedroom apartment will cost an expat $4,000 a month; a CD rings up at $24.83; one copy of an international daily newspaper is $6.30; and a fast-food hamburger meal totals $4.80.

I suppose Russia is using it's windfall from having the world's largest natural gas reserves and being the top arms exporter in the world to finance some of this unprecedented growth.

Link
June 20, 2007 @ 03:49 AM
Beez

i'd never had guessed moscow. i thought it'd be like hong kong or new york.

twitter @brandohnn findme. injc*

June 20, 2007 @ 03:58 AM
araw at bituin

seoul and tokyo are up there too. dunno why moscows number one. hamburger meal at 4.80 suprised that is crazy

http://instagram.com/qyel

June 20, 2007 @ 04:27 AM
ergun

hamburger meal at 4.80 suprised that is crazy

lol one thing even worse than that is in london mcdonalds: burger, fries, drink (meal normal size also kids/small size in america) = $8 or
June 20, 2007 @ 08:54 AM
araw at bituin

lol one thing even worse than that is in london mcdonalds: burger, fries, drink (meal normal size also kids/small size in america) = $8 or

June 20, 2007 @ 09:00 AM
Brain

here in switzerland you also pay 8$ for the smallest meal at mc donalds smile
June 20, 2007 @ 09:03 AM
~~~~

For the record here is the list of the top 50 priciest cities..

1. Moscow
2. London
3. Seoul
4. Tokyo
5. Hong Kong
6. Copenhagen
7. Genf
8. Osaka
9. Z
June 20, 2007 @ 09:05 AM
Brain

haha, got 2 cities in the top 10 cool
June 20, 2007 @ 09:22 AM
Electric Devil

shit and i thought nyc was expensive to live in,i guess i was wrong
June 20, 2007 @ 10:44 AM

Inactive

i'd never had guessed moscow. i thought it'd be like hong kong or new york.

me too

I wanna go to moscou.
looks so nice.
June 20, 2007 @ 11:46 AM

Inactive

yes but theres something that isnt discussed in that list, its the median income associated with each city and other influences such as level of taxes and services provided for free.

theres alot of things that make a city expensive besides what things COST. theres what people are able to AFFORD.
June 20, 2007 @ 12:53 PM
Common

it costs 500 grand USD in my town to buy a small 3 bedroom 1 bathroom bungalow
June 20, 2007 @ 02:01 PM
Cre-Hated

seoul and tokyo are up there too. dunno why moscows number one. hamburger meal at 4.80 suprised that is crazy

the cost for a Burger king double whopper meak in new york city 7-8 dollars
June 20, 2007 @ 02:08 PM
SupremeXJesus

Property costs are rediculously expensive. Theres no such thing as mortgages in russia well not when the show I saw was filmed. So people have to pay straight up cash for their houses and or aparments. Theres the market price and theres the REAL selling price which is 10x's the market price. A "Decent" apartmen is around 1 million dollars.
June 20, 2007 @ 02:48 PM
camthraxFHK

Moscow,Russia

I suppose Russia is using it's windfall from having the world's largest natural gas reserves and being the top arms exporter in the world to finance some of this unprecedented growth.

You're such a conspiracist... The arms trade isn't part of this. It's the energy industry and the continuing economic growth that the giant nation has the potential for.

I'm totally shocked by this. Who would have thought stuff would cost that much there. And Dubai is only #34?! My old biases are out of wack I guess... I'm also shocked that LA costs more that Berlin and Taipei. Aside from real estate, LA is not that expensive.
June 20, 2007 @ 07:53 PM
owensA

My 2 cents

Part of the prices are just due to the fact that Russia isn't a legit democracy or a complete capitalist economy and so market forces don't work in a normal capitalist way there. Due to Russia still being integrated into world trade prices for imports and international shit like McDonalds meals (which btw cost like 10$ to 12$ in London) or Western papers is simply b/c of their relative rarity in a place like Russia and the lack of proper capitalistic forces balancing out prices to a reasonable level. Also, due to the fact that Russia entered capitalism very poorly and undemocratically robber barrons took up much of the money, leaving much of the poor and middle class even more poor. It just so happens that Moscow is Russia's center of wealth and trade and consequently virtually all the cash that was taken by rich capitalists during Russia's conversion into a pseudo-capitalist society ended up in Russia' trade and financial center. Due to this economic boom this also creates price increases in the capital and especially in the category of rent b/c many in the capital are getting richer and many are investing in the one promising part of Russia. Give Moscow a few years and I highly doubt it will still be top 3 let alone number 1. The city is riding on a rather corrupt economic boom and a wave of investment; economics works in cycles and Moscow just happens to be doing well right now. It won't last forever.

...also I dont know how the ruble has been doing recently or what the deal is with inflation in Russia but I wouldn't be surprised if both of them had significant effects on the cost of living increasing in Moscow

On another note I'd really like to know how this study was performed in better detail. I'm just shooting from the gut but I somehow doubt that it's all too accurate in terms of the costs of living for ppl of different economic classes. I'm sure a poor person could get by a bit better in Moscow than in a place like London where a quizno's meal costs 15$. a pack of cigarrettes like 10-12$, and some semi-rare air maxes like 250$ retail. In Eastern European countries there are always places to eat and drink for cheap and I doubt that Moscow is all that expensive everywhere, I mean the vast majority of Russia's wealth is held by a very very small elite so the rest of the ppl of Moscow must be able to live reasonably.
June 20, 2007 @ 08:11 PM
Misha781

I was born in Moscow and lived there for the first 11 years of my life, but back when I was there it wasn't so expensive. I'm only 17 right now. Things change fast.
June 20, 2007 @ 08:22 PM
araw at bituin

cool.. Seoul and Tokyo at numbers 3 and 4 cool

June 20, 2007 @ 08:33 PM
TonyBG

I thought Dubai would be higher up in the list..
June 20, 2007 @ 08:52 PM
suprafly

1. Moscow
2. London
3. Seoul
4. Tokyo
5. Hong Kong
6. Copenhagen
7. Genf
8. Osaka
9. Z
June 20, 2007 @ 09:06 PM
owensA

You gotta understand that Dubai's great wealth isn't representative of the majority of the people living there, an enormous portion of the UAE's population is very poor migrant workers from India and other places around Asia who work for shit money and have little rights. Just b/c a city is full of construction projects doesn't mean it's an incredibly costly place to live. Much of the lavish spending occuring there is simply to make Dubai a household name and increase tourism/investment so it is more a sign of potential growth than true economic prosperity at the present time. The ruler of Dubai hs invested a ton of cash there and it'll likely pay off but hte amount of money that Al Maktoum spends also represents the economic inequality there as the economic elite hold much of the UAE's money while much of the population (esp. the immigrants) live like shit. The investment's definately working though b/c I think most Americans wouldn't have even known where Dubai was 10 years ago so I'd expect that the real estate prices will continue to soar for some years to come. Although Dubai will almost certainly become more of a major int'l city in the near future and most likely will be the unrivaled financial center of the middle east there are a number of factors that the UAE must overcome (such as a massive democratic deficit and shitty human rights) before Dubai can rival major economic cities like London, Tokyo, and Moscow.
June 20, 2007 @ 09:12 PM

USD is constantly dropping.
I dated a russian chick once and she told me moscow is the most expensive city to live in and i didnt believe her but I do now.
June 20, 2007 @ 09:39 PM
iggyhaxor

people there probably make more money so its more affordable
June 20, 2007 @ 10:23 PM
SupremeXJesus

I'd move to dubai.
June 20, 2007 @ 10:25 PM

^too hot man..i cant stand the heat.
June 21, 2007 @ 08:47 AM
Brain

yeah but you bastards are just too fuckin' rich.

nah, we ain't. maybe people earn more here but prices are also much higher...
June 21, 2007 @ 10:33 AM
camthraxFHK

You gotta understand that Dubai's great wealth isn't representative of the majority of the people living there, an enormous portion of the UAE's population is very poor migrant workers from India and other places around Asia who work for shit money and have little rights. Just b/c a city is full of construction projects doesn't mean it's an incredibly costly place to live. Much of the lavish spending occuring there is simply to make Dubai a household name and increase tourism/investment so it is more a sign of potential growth than true economic prosperity at the present time. The ruler of Dubai hs invested a ton of cash there and it'll likely pay off but hte amount of money that Al Maktoum spends also represents the economic inequality there as the economic elite hold much of the UAE's money while much of the population (esp. the immigrants) live like shit. The investment's definately working though b/c I think most Americans wouldn't have even known where Dubai was 10 years ago so I'd expect that the real estate prices will continue to soar for some years to come. Although Dubai will almost certainly become more of a major int'l city in the near future and most likely will be the unrivaled financial center of the middle east there are a number of factors that the UAE must overcome (such as a massive democratic deficit and shitty human rights) before Dubai can rival major economic cities like London, Tokyo, and Moscow.

Good analysis. Are you also a student of economics? Or maybe international relations?

There's actually a lot of dissidence in the UAE complaining about how the aristocracy owns everything, and hogs up all the land in the emirates, which limits development. I went to their site once. It had a bunch of satellite images comparing showing lavish estates with 200 foot yachts separated from poor villages by 5 miles of undeveloped desert.
June 21, 2007 @ 03:52 PM
owensA

^^^Ya, I'm an international relation major but I've taken a few econ classes and I read up on economics a good bit. Can't really study IR without a knowledge of how money moves internationally.

I'd move to dubai.

^^ gotta remember that it's a Muslim country, so no alcohol (think you can buy it at hotels but it's mmmaaaddd pricey) and other strict muslim laws. And if they find just a gram of bud on you you're prolly in jail for several years. Interesting b/c the country is trying to modernize but still sticks to some (IMO) archaic Sharia (ie. Quranic) laws.

A friend of mine whose buddy lives in Dubai says that the wealth gap is pretty ridiculous. Tons of poor folk and a minority of ridiculously wealthy folk w/ nothing better to do than to waste their cash and not help their fellow ppl. Dude says like every day he sees that some kid crash a Lambo or Ferrari on the Dubai highways just b/c there's a bunch of rich little pricks with their daddy's oil money and nothing better to do than to speed around in their $200k sports cars. Talk about poor money management.
June 22, 2007 @ 09:21 AM
HARTY

that second picture is neato.
June 22, 2007 @ 11:09 PM
SoleFresh87

dammn a fuking CD 24 dollars shhit , there isnt a music artist in world that i would pay for that ...

Instagram @g87vrse *ArtMusicFlimLife*

Please login first to reply.