Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
August 23, 2012 @ 04:48 AM
TwiggyDig

any recommend a certain time of the year to get a tattoo. Some people have told me to get it in a winter month because the cold is better on it then a humid heat which I would experience in a new york summer/fall. This could all be ducktales but can anyone refute this or back it up
August 23, 2012 @ 05:15 AM
Kayv

Getting it extended to the chest and all shading done in 2 weeks. Each pattern has a special meaning and is very important to me. Mix of Polynesian and Filipino tribal. Paying tribute to my ancestors, my family, and myself. I'm the first in my family to bring back something that our ancestors had, however I'm not the first to have tattoos.

Do you even know the meaning behind each symbol?

Yes, I do. Are you trying to quiz me? Do you want a detailed explanation? Do you know me or my background? Really not trying to be a dick, but if you want to know or want to know some history behind this type of tribal, I'll be glad to educate you. I actually helped teach some cultural courses at S.F. State where I gave some lectures on South East Asian and Polynesian tattoos. I'm more than happy to share my knowledge, although I consider myself far from an expert.
August 23, 2012 @ 05:52 AM
bRyyy

Getting it extended to the chest and all shading done in 2 weeks. Each pattern has a special meaning and is very important to me. Mix of Polynesian and Filipino tribal. Paying tribute to my ancestors, my family, and myself. I'm the first in my family to bring back something that our ancestors had, however I'm not the first to have tattoos.

Do you even know the meaning behind each symbol?

Yes, I do. Are you trying to quiz me? Do you want a detailed explanation? Do you know me or my background? Really not trying to be a dick, but if you want to know or want to know some history behind this type of tribal, I'll be glad to educate you. I actually helped teach some cultural courses at S.F. State where I gave some lectures on South East Asian and Polynesian tattoos. I'm more than happy to share my knowledge, although I consider myself far from an expert.

I'm actually interested.
August 23, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
Kayv

^^Cool, I'll try to give some info before heading to bed and maybe I could provide more info tomorrow while at work. Also note that depending on the tribe/island/culture some patterns were interpreted differently; so know that what I say is not 100% A pattern from the northern island of the Philippines may mean something different than the southern islands or the Polynesian triangle.

South-East Asian and Polynesian tattoos share a very similar/common origin, as does some of their language. Examples of this is the Maori facial tattoo called "ta moko." In Tagalog the word for face is "muhka." Phonetically they are similar. The word tattoo in various Polynesian languages as well as Tagalog and other South-East Asian languages is phonetically similar as well. Tatua, tatak, tak tak, etc.

Polynesian and Filipino tribal tattoos also share similar symbols and patterns. Let's use the triangle pattern for an example. For Polynesians, this pattern is the teeth of a shark, for Filipinos it's the teeth of a crocodile. Hawaiians, as well as some other Polynesians, viewed sharks as their ancestral spirits. The story goes that a young women was swimming in the ocean when a shark bit her ankle. The shark was actually an ancestral spirit of hers, but he did not recognize her until she yelled out his name. He apologized and said that in return, he will protect her. The bite mark on her ankle is how he would recognize her and that's why the shark teeth means protection. For Filipinos, before the Spanish came, crocodiles were seen as a powerful spirit. They worshipped much like many other native people of the world, nature and animals. The crocodile was seen as one of the most powerful and most important animals/gods out there. Besides the teeth of a crocodile, the Filipinos would also get patterns of the crocodiles back.

In general, a leaf pattern was something for strength and good health. You eat the leaf, this is to make you strong and keep you healthy.

Spearheads are a symbol for warriors.

Centipede patterns have a few meanings in both Polynesia and the Philippines In the Philippines they are seen as another warrior pattern. The head of the centipede bites/strikes. Also the Filipino war parties would travel in single file in order to conceal the number of soldiers they had, much like the narrow/streamlined pattern of a centipede. The bearer of the centipede pattern is also supposed to be protected from poisons.
August 23, 2012 @ 06:26 AM
P$C

I've been wanting to get a Polynesian/Filipino tribal tattoo for a while now but I haven't done the research yet. Please learn me something. I want to get either my arm half sleeved or my leg.
August 23, 2012 @ 06:30 AM
Kayv

I've been wanting to get a Polynesian/Filipino tribal tattoo for a while now but I haven't done the research yet. Please learn me something. I want to get either my arm half sleeved or my leg.

First decide. Do you want a "pure" Filipino pattern, Polynesian pattern, or mix? Once you narrow that down the research can begin.
August 27, 2012 @ 01:25 AM
TheCityOfChi

4 Hour session. I'll go back in 2 weeks and finish shadding the bear and the other side. It will eventually be a whole half leg sleeve

August 27, 2012 @ 01:38 AM
WPGMB

4 Hour session. I'll go back in 2 weeks and finish shadding the bear and the other side. It will eventually be a whole half leg sleeve

thats dope man! I wan't a leg sleeve. I don't even want an arm sleeve haha
August 28, 2012 @ 03:27 AM
sado

August 28, 2012 @ 04:49 AM
ThatPatP

got this a week ago. (pic taken immediately after it was done)

Steve Byrne da gawd.

patxpeterson.com | youmaddoggy.com

August 28, 2012 @ 05:00 AM
Glock Lesnar

got this a week ago. (pic taken immediately after it was done)

Steve Byrne da gawd.

so fucking clean cool
August 30, 2012 @ 04:36 AM
ThatPatP

so fucking clean cool

thanks bruh

patxpeterson.com | youmaddoggy.com

August 30, 2012 @ 07:05 AM
CHOPZZBISCUIT

that was an excellent explanation behind those symbols with their cultural meanings and their significant symbols of your tattoos kayv.

I'm still in the process of researching for many designs right now.

Now I think of it, I wanna get something like this.

Keeping it real. 100% PURE UNSATURATED YOLO MANTRA UNTIL YOUR VERY LAST BREATHE, HOMIE.

Kayv: pull bitches, not triggers. throw parties, not fists. futurebass : my mom said life is like a box of kimchi. chopzz.tumblr.com

August 30, 2012 @ 09:47 AM
The-Arm

This shit is sick! Post up some more pics when you get the shading done!
August 30, 2012 @ 10:16 AM
dicklaunderer

suspended

lol this thread is so full of regret , people like u are the reason im getting all my shit removed
August 30, 2012 @ 01:17 PM
Shiri

lol this thread is so full of regret , people like u are the reason im getting all my shit removed

info

http://blog.careyciuro.com

August 30, 2012 @ 01:19 PM
nagurski

That is sick and its a pretty awesome idea.
August 30, 2012 @ 01:27 PM
nagurski

Just some tats that I think look pretty cool. Im holding out on getting a tat though.
August 30, 2012 @ 05:06 PM
stolenlogic

I have the stupidest most pointless tattoo ever.

|| New Song 9/24 || New Ambient/Lounge EP || http://www.soundcloud.com/stolenlogic

August 30, 2012 @ 06:26 PM
WPGMB

I have the stupidest most pointless tattoo ever.

can't just say that without a pic...
August 31, 2012 @ 01:46 PM
mayimbe181

thats nice cityofchi

WWW.MAYIMBE181.COM @mayimbe181 twitter & Instagram http://vimeo.com/26407824 Jimmy Fallon appearance

September 15, 2012 @ 09:21 AM
krn_zmb

reminds me of my leg
September 15, 2012 @ 01:08 PM
Pantic

God damn that similarity. Really tho i wanna copy you too, such a fucking amazing leg piece.
September 15, 2012 @ 05:55 PM
DaPark

Finna copy and replace that with a different animal

hb weindis "No wonder drake makes love songs. Seeing all these 10's around toronto. damn. Just gained alot of dislike for my city."

September 17, 2012 @ 11:53 AM
vin

1st sesh today
September 17, 2012 @ 12:54 PM
cuh

very nice bro. cant wait to see it when it gets more work in
September 20, 2012 @ 03:53 AM
The Robe

What would be a rough price estimate of getting this covering the front of my bicep?
September 20, 2012 @ 04:44 AM
hiimshane

I really want something like this on the back of my calf. Yay or Nay?
September 20, 2012 @ 04:59 AM
It's Only Hype

the face on the sun looks creepy
September 20, 2012 @ 05:57 AM
WPGMB

I really want something like this on the back of my calf. Yay or Nay?

i think it looks aight. I always thought those kind of sun tattoos were always pretty cool. but yea, face is kinda creepy, maybe ask your artist if he can change it up a bit

Please login first to reply.