Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
February 1, 2012 @ 07:16 PM
NZOO

Could somebody tell me what the meaning is behind the severed geisha head in traditional japanese tattooing? I've always loved them, visually, but I'm curious as to what their actual meaning is (if any).

Anyone fill me in? *cough* Mayimbe *cough*

My armpit....too many meanings...i read 1 about being the dominant person showing power and no fear...thats my dead geisha in my pit...represents many things mainly my ex

Yo where ya spot @, I hope it's not od charges for some small shit..

Don't badmind me.

February 1, 2012 @ 07:44 PM
mayimbe181

Could somebody tell me what the meaning is behind the severed geisha head in traditional japanese tattooing? I've always loved them, visually, but I'm curious as to what their actual meaning is (if any).

Anyone fill me in? *cough* Mayimbe *cough*

My armpit....too many meanings...i read 1 about being the dominant person showing power and no fear...thats my dead geisha in my pit...represents many things mainly my ex

Yo where ya spot @, I hope it's not od charges for some small shit..

Senaspace.com Northstartattoo.com and when you reach my status in the tattoo community things just work themselves out

WWW.MAYIMBE181.COM @mayimbe181 twitter & Instagram http://vimeo.com/26407824 Jimmy Fallon appearance

February 1, 2012 @ 07:46 PM
__Nicholas

^^^ Aight May, I gotchu.

and yeah, I've read quite a few slightly varied descriptions of it. I like that "power and no fear" one though. I'm definitely interested in incorporating the severed Geisha in my first tattoo.

(and another question, would it be absolutely retarded to get a lower-leg sleeve as a first tattoo? I have a fairly high pain tolerance, and I pretty much only like 'big' pieces -- hence wanting a sleeve as a first + I feel like the leg would be a smarter choice as opposed to the arm for placement considering I probably wouldn't even be finished with college at the time of the appointment.)

My little sister started from the foot up she has an entire leg sleeve done now. Its all up to you..might i suggest considering your lifestyle 1st....for instance---------------------- beaches and pools are no longer an option and with the summer coming you cannot enter chloreine or salt for atleast 2 months from the date you were tattooed.....comfort is a main thing and wearing shorts with a freshly tattooed leg can be a bitch cause you wanna avoid jeans in hot weather...i have too many years of experience with this shit and seen too many people get infections from stupidity from not taking care of there tats

i went surfing two days after getting my knee tattooed and it healed up beautifully. also did the same thing a week after getting my calf tattooed. i know that doesnt seem too smart but all my stuff always heals up nicely and ive never had an infection. all my stuff is simple bold traditional american style so i guess i figured i could just get it touched up if needed, but they healed up and look as good as the day i got them.
February 2, 2012 @ 05:12 PM
B Haht

February 2, 2012 @ 06:21 PM
CCAA

Anybody know of an artist that specializes in colorful traditional american style in the Midwest? Im in the Detroit area, and wouldn't mind traveling to the east coast. (Just not NYC)
February 2, 2012 @ 09:58 PM
retronym

Does anyone know of any good tattoo artists in Michigan?

where are you located? Jeff Zuck is at Name Brand Tattoo in Ann Arbor.

my buddy goes to a girl named Kaelyn Currow who works at Gallery 31 Fine Art and Tattooing in Grand Rapids

I live in Waterford, but I'm willing to travel. I'm visiting Traverse City in a couple weeks. I want someone who is good with color and has a somewhat whimsical aesthetic.
February 3, 2012 @ 01:35 AM
Black Donald Trump

just thought f this today and i really wanna get it, gotta start savin up
from ghost in the shell anime

some1 already did it though, looks cool except too much yellow for me
February 3, 2012 @ 04:09 AM
chief

lol the fuck

•••

February 3, 2012 @ 05:26 PM
ignorantian

not trying to hate but what the fuck would compel someone to get a tattoo like this? i see no meaning
February 3, 2012 @ 10:30 PM
Black Donald Trump

you gotta watch ghost in the shell

also i don't really care about "meaning" in a tattoo to be perfectly honest, that shit is kinda cheesy to me.
February 3, 2012 @ 11:43 PM
ThatPatP

not trying to hate but what the fuck would compel someone to get a tattoo like this? i see no meaning

Tattoos don't need a meaning. If you like and appreciate the art, then get it. Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of what dude posted, but it's his body and if he likes it that's all that matters.

Ya pops don't gotta die in order for you to get a tattoo.

patxpeterson.com | youmaddoggy.com

February 4, 2012 @ 08:27 AM
iLoveBreast

^
Forreal most artist tell me tattoos don't have to have meaning, and people try to hard for it to mean something.
that tattoo is mad fucking weird, but it's your body your choice, i feel like thats the same shit as getting pikachu tattoo'd but do you
February 4, 2012 @ 08:37 AM
mayimbe181

This thread needs more user tattoos and less analyzing. we all can agree to disagree...its a matter of preference

WWW.MAYIMBE181.COM @mayimbe181 twitter & Instagram http://vimeo.com/26407824 Jimmy Fallon appearance

February 4, 2012 @ 09:09 AM
Augustus

My tattoos don't have any personal meaning. I may be biased, but I believe tattoos that mean something to you at your point in time will eventually fade and turn to regret. Great design has more longevity especially if you get it from someone who really hones the craft.

@QuattroRide

February 4, 2012 @ 11:27 AM
deadpooL

pretty much healed at this point. im getting it touched up sometime next month. tattoo #2 coming soon as well.
February 4, 2012 @ 10:49 PM
ThatPatP

^ That's DOPE.

you kids do know that tattoos used to have meaning right? that's the only reason why people used to get tattoos. now its just a fuckfest.

aight pops.

patxpeterson.com | youmaddoggy.com

February 11, 2012 @ 05:24 PM
tRick

edit: pic wont work
February 11, 2012 @ 07:59 PM
It's Only Hype

Got my first tattoo yesterday in memory of my grandma. Didnt wanna get the standard so I got one based on her being native american and also how the one of the first things she bought for me and the last thing she bought before she passed was a dream catcher.
Sorry for size.

AccessDeniedAccess denied
February 12, 2012 @ 09:22 PM
vadikk

i'm thinkin about gettin this one
February 12, 2012 @ 10:02 PM
hason

need to get my inner arm done.
February 19, 2012 @ 03:33 PM
deadpooL

getting my second piece in a few months. my boy jun cha hooking it up cool

placement wise, its going to be on the other side of my bernini angel (connecting at the shin)
February 19, 2012 @ 06:28 PM
jaded

i'm thinkin about gettin this one

those are so corny

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

February 20, 2012 @ 12:32 AM
Samrai

getting my second piece in a few months. my boy jun cha hooking it up cool

fuuuuck u coolcoolcool

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt ≈ @NegronusPrime ≈ twitter

February 20, 2012 @ 08:09 AM
art vandelay

jun cha? hook up the pics as soon as you get it cool do you have an estimate of how much that's gonna run you?
February 20, 2012 @ 03:09 PM
deadpooL

no doubt.

est. north of $2000
February 23, 2012 @ 04:35 AM
Visionary

@Dead Pool I was thinkin of gettin that bernini angel piece too. It was either that one or the angel with the lance. On average how much would you thin to get it done probably gettin on my upper arm and who would you recommend if you know any around the bay area.
February 23, 2012 @ 04:46 AM
XionGlydius

not exactly traditional cause theres shading in the flames and other things here and there. buttttt im happy with it. gotta do the wind bars, then start the other arm.
February 23, 2012 @ 09:13 AM
willmars

This is really cool tattoo design, after adding a cross in the design it looks more attractive and classy.
February 24, 2012 @ 01:54 PM
99%Shit

Definitely planning on a GitS tattoo at some point, unsure of what though. Don't want to seem excessive either because I will be getting my left shoulder/arm done like Tetsuo merging with Akira(the texture, no portrait) when I find someone that can do both biomech and colour. Thinking maybe Motoko and the Puppet Master from the discussion near the end of the first film.

GitS has plenty of meaning, it's all about 'what is human?' in a world in which computers/tech is so ingrained into everyday life, to the point where your thoughts/memories/etc. can be converted to digital information and stored in a 'cyberbrain'. I see a lot of truths in GitS, especially seeing as I believe in transhumanism. The Akira tattoo I want is just because I think it would be visually appealing and would look okay on my noodle-arms, but it'd def be for a love of cyberpunk as well.

narsha.narsha.narsha

February 24, 2012 @ 02:20 PM
mayimbe181

not exactly traditional cause theres shading in the flames and other things here and there. buttttt im happy with it. gotta do the wind bars, then start the other arm.
is that your tattoo? if so its nice

Please login first to reply.