Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
June 17, 2014 @ 03:02 AM
D1Sellout

I mean, just the amount of hype around USA's first match was great. They hyped up that one match more than the World Series. 

We love winning right? At this moment we are doing pretty good in the win department.

At the youth level soccer is growing greatly. 

It has all the makings of a popular sport here. So why is it that other than the World Cup there is little to no mention of soccer here? 

Ariana Grande wouldn't treat me like this

June 17, 2014 @ 03:12 AM
matthewstadik619

Because of football and baseball and basketball those are the sports that we are known for not soccer 
June 17, 2014 @ 03:16 AM
wh0die

Because the vast majority of the people in the U.S find it boring, myself included. No shot's fired at anyone either if you like soccer that's cool bruh.
June 17, 2014 @ 03:18 AM
Pantic

Because you have less than 1% chance of winning the whole deal, and nobody likes not winning.

But tbh i think it's just boring to watch, it's fun to play tho.
June 17, 2014 @ 03:20 AM
offensive-commenter

soccer would be amazing if they got rid of the offside rule. scoring would be in the 20-30s per game and the usa would pay more attention, but the billionaires who run soccer are too stupid to see the money waiting for them.
June 17, 2014 @ 03:55 AM
Think People

Boring to watch, fun to play. The same thing is happening with this generation of baseball. Its just too slow of a sport.
June 17, 2014 @ 04:04 AM
brittneykitty

^ more people go to baseball games to enjoy the weather, get their wife & kids out the house, socialize with friends and  maybe eat a hot dog than actually watch the sport

the front of the mazzi look like a fork dont it

June 17, 2014 @ 04:31 AM
B.M.

Wow, ignorance abound. It's all about football in the fall, basketball/hockey in the winter, and baseball in the spring. That's it. That's America.

Soccer's different; hell, we don't even call it by it's real name. There's three professional leagues in the U.S. None of them matter. They put a new stadium/team in my neighborhood a couple years ago. I've never been to a game. Only weirdos who don't play baseball or football play soccer growing up. Notice how most of the USMNT were army brats born outside the U.S. - a place where there's a lack of football/basketball/baseball. 

Before 1990, soccer was a weird hobby that rich kids who studied abroad would gloat about. It's grown tenfold. With the concern over football concussions, I only see it expanding. Plus, every sport that's not the NFL is mostly overrated in terms of fans. People in LA couldn't pretend to care about the Stanley Cup. Winter is split with minority (NBA) and whites (hockey). Baseball is dying. 

Soccer is great because it's different. Plus, bandwagon fans can go wild. Oh your great-grandmother was from Germany? I'm sure you're a huge fan. Problem with different is that it's only for the younger generations. No oldhead is going to jump into this sport for anything other than 'Go Yanks.'

Long story short, soccer is just another sport that isn't American Football.

"I got smokers hitting rocks making Stevie J faces" - Quilly

June 17, 2014 @ 04:33 AM
kng_vln

There needs to be more home grown American players that are good at a world level. The MLS keeps bringing in old guys that used to be good in Europe at the end of their careers, neutral viewers wouldn't care or know much about them anyways.. USA needs an all American guy to have more success than a demsey or donavan, that can make some noise around the world
June 17, 2014 @ 04:35 AM
D1Sellout

soccer would be amazing if they got rid of the offside rule. scoring would be in the 20-30s per game and the usa would pay more attention, but the billionaires who run soccer are too stupid to see the money waiting for them.
Yeah the offside rule some bullshit. 

Even if they don't completely eliminate it, FIFA needs to change it. A team shouldn't be punished because a player managed to beat the defense

June 17, 2014 @ 05:04 AM
Feelin_Foolay

Because the kick the ball 30 ft in the air out of bounds for 95 mins
June 17, 2014 @ 05:38 AM
D1Sellout

I think another reason is because we don't have club programs like other countries. 

Everywhere else sports run through clubs, which means they can play other countries too. Here, we have high school sports. 

If we had kids at 15 playing teams from other countries it could be a huge boost. 

June 17, 2014 @ 06:06 AM
chief

"Oh it's boring" - No, it's the only sport that has a constant running clock. You think it's boring because you've never played it and/or was never good enough to understand the fundamentals of the sport

"I spent 90 minutes watching this and they only scored one goal" - You must really enjoy baseball

"Ties are stupid" - Yeah well there's more than 16 games a season, so you'll live

"Everyone dives" - I'm starting to hear this a lot less since it's started to plagued the NBA

Sometimes I hate America because I have to put up with these questions and people thinking "it's gay". It's sheer ignorance at it's finest because they neglect the fact it's beloved by every country in the world besides the US.

It also doesn't help that we don't have a history of a winning national team. That will change though because the youth systems are getting better and better. We'll be a different animal in 10-15 years

•••

June 17, 2014 @ 06:11 AM
playboyxxx

Just because it has a constantly running clock or people "aren't good at it" doesn't mean its not boring my guy lol. Some people just don't enjoy the game. It's extremely low scoring, most people nowadays don't like baseball either for the same reason.

pink like hamilton

June 17, 2014 @ 06:26 AM
chief

It's because we're a society that enjoys instant gratification. Football and Basketball both provide high and frequent scoring and soccer doesn't always provide that. It's gotta be that, because we are the weird country that doesn't enjoy soccer as much as literally the entire world.

What I meant by "aren't good at it" is because they probably played as a child and then quit early so they really don't have an appreciation for the mechanics of the game. 

The same people who think it's boring are the same people that think it's probably easy, until they go out and try to kick a ball and make a fool of themselves

•••

June 17, 2014 @ 06:26 AM
doomsbaeisahater

^ more people go to baseball games to enjoy the weather, get their wife & kids out the house, socialize with friends and  maybe eat a hot dog than actually watch the sport
June 17, 2014 @ 06:49 AM
trevxv3

also look at how many commercials there are in soccer? way less money in advertising that simply can not compete with other sports.... and I think thats where the largest amount of revenue comes from tbh

SATIRE GANG OR MOW YOUR LAWN FOR FREE

June 17, 2014 @ 06:57 AM
Pantic

^While that's true football as a sport has so much more money involved than any other sport. But obviously that's also because it's so big globally.
June 17, 2014 @ 07:02 AM
FLVMINCO

Chief said it best, America as far as soccer's concerned is one of the worst teams in the sport. And im talking as a whole, this country has a history of futility in soccer; this aggravates the ego of the average american which percieves us as an alpha country in the majority of sports.   

Follow me @Pyrex_Lanvin on twitter, mixed women are the GOAT.

June 17, 2014 @ 07:08 AM
It's Only Hype

June 17, 2014 @ 07:37 AM
hurtburt

Its football, not soccer.

NUTTIN BUT KILLAZ

June 17, 2014 @ 08:09 AM
powerball

also, we have the MLS here and those athletes get paid absolute shit compared to baseball, basketball, and football here in the US. If you're a talented athlete growing up and you have all the skills and speed in the world, why would you fuck with soccer when you and all your friends see that the professional football and basketball players are hanging out with your favorite celebrities making boatloads of money while you don't see shit about famous American soccer athletes.

We also don't televise soccer here nationally unless it's the world cup, so nobody really watches the EPL and so forth unless they grew up huge fans of the game to begin with.
June 17, 2014 @ 08:40 AM
Black Jew

also look at how many commercials there are in soccer? way less money in advertising that simply can not compete with other sports.... and I think thats where the largest amount of revenue comes from tbh
 i just gotta say though, that soccer has the best commercials of any sport, by far.
June 17, 2014 @ 08:43 AM
chief

Also in Europe the game is more competitive in club play because teams can be relegated or promoted based on standings. If your squad plays in the Premier League and finishes in the bottom three, you're team is demoted to the Football League Championship, which is the league below the Premier League. The top three finishers in the FLC are promoted to the Premier League the next year.

In MLS if you suck, you're still going to be around for the next season, so there's nothing to lose, which takes the competitiveness out of it from a viewer standpoint

•••

June 17, 2014 @ 01:53 PM
Feelin_Foolay

There's too many leagues and shit around the world. And its not popular because there's no fucking excitement unless someone is about to score a goal and the ball just gets kicked out of bounds. 

And fuck waking up at 6am to watch a game
June 17, 2014 @ 03:49 PM
billyblacksocks

The irony -- that soccer is boring and football is not -- is amazing when considering soccer is 90mins straight of pure action, while a game of football takes 4 hours to show on tv and only 11mins of actual action:
http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406?mobile=y

So let's drop this crap that it's boring. We don't like it cuz it's not apart of our culture.

And don't get me wrong, I absolutely love college football and to an extent the NFL (goddamn cowboys) but the notion football is more action packed is without question false.
June 17, 2014 @ 06:36 PM
cformusic

lack of tradition..2 things i think can change the perception are 1) if we can ever develop a true world-class player..2) the USMNT makes a deep Cup run (i.e. semis or better)

http://cformusic.com

June 17, 2014 @ 07:34 PM
wh0die

I think another reason is because we don't have club programs like other countries. 

Everywhere else sports run through clubs, which means they can play other countries too. Here, we have high school sports. 

If we had kids at 15 playing teams from other countries it could be a huge boost. 
But we do, we have club and high school sports.
Edit: Also lmao at cheifs argument I'm terrible at basketball but I still love watching it. You don't have to fully understand the mechanics of the game to find it entertaining. Also because someone finds something boring doesn't mean they think it's easy. Chess is boring af to me but its certainly not easy to play.
June 17, 2014 @ 08:15 PM
B.M.

The irony -- that soccer is boring and football is not -- is amazing when considering soccer is 90mins straight of pure action, while a game of football takes 4 hours to show on tv and only 11mins of actual action:

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406?mobile=y

So let's drop this crap that it's boring. We don't like it cuz it's not apart of our culture.

And don't get me wrong, I absolutely love college football and to an extent the NFL (goddamn cowboys) but the notion football is more action packed is without question false.
You're a complete idiot if you think there's 11 minutes of action. I'm not gonna read your Wall Street Journal article written from some nerd. 

Have any of y'all actually played sports? You all sound like a group of lil nephews.

"I got smokers hitting rocks making Stevie J faces" - Quilly

June 17, 2014 @ 08:54 PM
chief

Those of you who find soccer boring, what did you think of that draw between Brazil and Mexico?

•••

Please login first to reply.