Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
June 11, 2014 @ 05:39 AM
jafeel

After the recent shootings, what are you thoughts on the gun situation in the country right now and its future? I personally think gun control is needed because all this gun violence is inexcusable for one of the if not most established country in the world.

1. Gun control is definitely needed. I don't know to what extent that's why I want to have this discussion since y'all are pretty smart and vocal. Since the Sandy Hook shooting, there has been 74 shootings. HOW THE FUCK IS THAT ACCEPTABLE IN THIS DAY AND AGE AND ESPECIALLY IN AMERICA?

2. I doubt any of you guys actually live in the hood. Quit with that "niggas die everyday mentality".

3. Alex Jones is a piece of shit. He preaches hate and paranoia and brainwashes his followers with his agenda. Every time something bad happens, that idiot immediately blames the government and calls it a "false flag". The Vegas shooters, who killed two cops, were big followers of his paranoia and as of right now, the Vegas and Reynolds High School shootings are false flags. Why the fuck would the government "stage" shootings if it only brings more attention to guns? In addition, how do you tell the victim's families that the shootings are fake and they're actors when their loved ones just died. Fuck that idiot

4. Don't even try to blame this on sheeple and the mainstream media and tell people to wake up. You are the type of person that Alex Jones and his like prey on since you are young and easily impressionable.  

June 11, 2014 @ 06:14 AM
aww shucks

June 11, 2014 @ 06:29 AM
chief

Tough to say. How would gun control laws really help though? Meth is illegal and people still are able to get ahold of it. 

I think what needs to happen is more funding for mental health facilities. Guns are going to exist regardless, and people are going to get their hands on them regardless. The best thing we can do is at least attempt to help the crazies; the people who are depressed, mentally unstable, socially inept, the type of people who commit these shootings. Getting them help is one thing, but identifying that they have a problem that is justifiable enough to put them in a clinic is something else entirely

•••

June 11, 2014 @ 06:59 AM
bjornvan

the moment our forefathers said we have the right to bear arms we were fucked.Its too late for "gun control".. about 2 centuries too late.Guns are everywhere now.Our government kills 10000x more people as all these rogue gunmen with guns.if you ask me the entire fucking world needs gun control, but thats not the reality we live in..You asked why would the government bring attention to guns? well alex jones believes its a ploy to take our guns away ( which would be the only "gun control" that has an effective outcome), of course people wont just give their guns away so they will forcefully take them away, more than likely sending us into Martial Law. Don't get me wrong, Alex Jones is a fucking dumbass, but the possibility of that happening is very possible... and its been a strong possibility since 9/11.Thats why I have been feeling like we are really on the brink of destruction over the past few years every time one of these shootings happens, and now they are happening more frequently.

Simply put, theres not much we can do about this that wont involve taking away rights and privacy..But i'm not a politician.. im sure they can think of something .. lol
June 11, 2014 @ 07:12 AM
chief

These shootings have become more common, so it's just become a "ok let's allow everyone mourn and then sweep it under the rug" kind of thing. I really don't see anything happening anytime soon

•••

June 11, 2014 @ 07:14 AM
petrol

meh. i dont expect the cops show up on call and save my sorry ass in a home invasion. i rather be taking measures in my own hand. gun control wont keep criminals from obtaining 'em, leaving only the law-abiding citizens without means to defend themselves

case is, this country suffers from an mental health problem
June 11, 2014 @ 07:25 AM
brittneykitty

we should just remove the frail lookn dweebs who aint gettn pussy that do all the shootings, nobody likes them anyways

i dont fuck with u niggas, i own da clippers

June 11, 2014 @ 07:42 AM
chief

we should just remove the frail lookn dweebs who aint gettn pussy that do all the shootings, nobody likes them anyways
then you'd be the first to go

•••

June 11, 2014 @ 07:54 AM
AmericanLegend

how do u feel about mentally challenged folk should we off those as well 

taste the glamour

June 11, 2014 @ 08:03 AM
awhitehippy

I'm strongly against gun control. I believe its our right to own a gun. Hell, I believe it's our HUMAN RIGHT to own and possess whatever the hell we want. We're humans, creatures, I don't believe we as a species should be living our lives confined to so many rules and laws, it fucking sucks. I want to live in a world where I could do whatever the fuck I want but sadly that will never exist.

But staying on your topic, even if we did hypothetically ban guns, if some kid or adult wanted to shoot someone(people) they would find their way to getting a gun. No questions asked.

1. Sandy Hook and those post-shootings most likely would have happened with or without gun control.

2. You think if any country banned guns all existing weapons would cease to exist? If America banned guns you think all those gangsters in Compton would hand their guns over because their "banned?"
Gun control wouldn't eradicate the world -- or country, of guns. Killers will always exist, it's inevitable. 

3(&4). I know you addressed how dumb it is, but on the basis of everything, I do believe social and mainstream media have a huge impact.

And I don't understand why anyone would not want to own a gun, a good saying I heard once went something like this, (sorry if I misquote it.)"
A burglar breaks into your home, why call a man with a gun to come and protect your family when YOU can just own one and protect what's yours.

x

June 11, 2014 @ 08:15 AM
overdrive

June 11, 2014 @ 08:27 AM
UghItsDave

meh. i dont expect the cops show up on call nd save my sorry ass in a home invasion. i rather be taking measures in my own hand. gun control wont keep criminals from obtaining 'em

case is, this country suffers from an mental health problem
I really think people need to realize this, also that there really is a big problem with bullying in schools, society, etc. 
June 11, 2014 @ 08:28 AM
UghItsDave

I'm strongly against gun control. I believe its our right to own a gun. Hell, I believe it's our HUMAN RIGHT to own and possess whatever the hell we want. We're humans, creatures, I don't believe we as a species should be living our lives confined to so many rules and laws, it fucking sucks. I want to live in a world where I could do whatever the fuck I want but sadly that will never exist.

But staying on your topic, even if we did hypothetically ban guns, if some kid or adult wanted to shoot someone(people) they would find their way to getting a gun. No questions asked.

1. Sandy Hook and those post-shootings most likely would have happened with or without gun control.

2. You think if any country banned guns all existing weapons would cease to exist? If America banned guns you think all those gangsters in Compton would hand their guns over because their "banned?"
Gun control wouldn't eradicate the world -- or country, of guns. Killers will always exist, it's inevitable. 

3(&4). I know you addressed how dumb it is, but on the basis of everything, I do believe social and mainstream media have a huge impact.

And I don't understand why anyone would not want to own a gun, a good saying I heard once went something like this, (sorry if I misquote it.)"
A burglar breaks into your home, why call a man with a gun to come and protect your family when YOU can just own one and protect what's yours.
Another great post. Good to see a discussion with some valid truth.
June 11, 2014 @ 08:50 AM
Legit*

I can't speak from an American perspective, but people from the UK (and 95% of the developed world) where there is no access to guns view the gun laws in the US as ridiculous. The fact is in the UK guns are illegal except if you have a genuine need (basically only farmers can own them), and even then they can only have access to rifles with a capacity of 6 rounds. If you are caught in possession of a pistol in the UK you are pretty much given 10 years straight away as there is no reason to own one.

Also statistics speak for themselves. Gun deaths in each country (Including suicides):
UK (2013) - 62
USA (2012) - 32,000

WTB List >>>> http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/201542

June 11, 2014 @ 08:56 AM
D1Sellout

If a nigga comes into my house at 11:05 threatening to kill my family. I'm not expecting the cops to be there in 5 seconds. 

I'll reach under my bed and grab one of the guns my grandpa gave me. They're there, I have to even touch the trigger on one of them. I COULD go on a shooting like these other high school kids my age are. I think a lot of these shootings really do come from the child's home life. 

My mom and sister both have guns to, its not like line day we're just gonna snap and decide to go on a rampage. 

But let's say we did snap, or just me. Would you rather some good guy with a gun shoot me down or wait for the cops to arrive after I've already caused a good amount of damage? 

Shit it too deep to just cut off all guns, they're already out there. Stopping good people from having them isn't helping anyone

Ariana Grande wouldn't treat me like this

June 11, 2014 @ 09:03 AM
It's Only Hype

But what is the population in the UK and in the USA? None of this crazy crap is justifiable anywhere, but it's hard to compare different countries. Even with similar roots, the US and any other country can be very different.

Switzerland has a thriving gun culture, but they don't have these frequent mass shootings like the US does. I think that is a more worthwhile thing to ponder about. What is going on in our society (USA) that is leading to this type of shit?

http://world.time.com/2012/12/20/the-swiss-difference-a-gun-culture-that-works/
June 11, 2014 @ 09:12 AM
Legit*

UK population - 64 Million
USA population - 318 Million

So if the UK had the same population as the USA and current gun deaths were the same per capita it would have 308 deaths per year still far lower than 32,000.

Also Switzerland has 3.84 gun deaths per 100,000 people, whereas the UK has 0.25 gun deaths per 100,000 people. The simple fact is, as gun ownership rises so does the number of deaths by guns.

June 11, 2014 @ 09:16 AM
cubie

as an outsider looking in,  the pro-gun mentality some of you guys have is actually hilarious. gun control worked for Australia, albeit on a much smaller scale, u guys should give it a try

http://surk.tumblr.com

June 11, 2014 @ 09:43 AM
Zabuza

UK population - 64 Million
USA population - 318 Million

So if the UK had the same population as the USA and current gun deaths were the same per capita it would have 308 deaths per year still far lower than 32,000.

Also Switzerland has 3.84 gun deaths per 100,000 people, whereas the UK has 0.25 gun deaths per 100,000 people. The simple fact is, as gun ownership rises so does the number of deaths by guns.
I think the main point your missing is that the cultures are very different i mean yall projects are kinda rough but you don't have to deal with the war zones we live in and have been in for decades these mentalities are real. and no one wants to hear about englands gun opinion lol.
June 11, 2014 @ 10:26 AM
cubie

so what harm would gun control do? 

"According to the latest available data, those who use guns in violent crimes rarely purchase

them directly from licensed dealers; most guns

used in crime have been stolen or transferred

between individuals after the original purchase."

so i'm not sure if my logic is flawed, but wouldn't gun control essentially eliminate the whole stolen gun murder narrative? violence in general may not decrease if gun control is enacted, but what harm would it do to the GENERAL population? 

EDIT: mad out of date source but w/e

http://surk.tumblr.com

June 11, 2014 @ 10:51 AM
johnathan

just posted this video in the other gun thread just recently made

And this http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/01/28/department-of-awful-statistics-are-mass-shootings-really-on-the-rise.html

There is this http://everytown.org/article/schoolshootings/ thats 74 shootings since Sandy Hook. How many are actually "school shootings"? Probably half or less it's considered gun discharges which can mean a lot of things. There is one thing to acknowledge the hype over school shootings in the media recently. No one had ever really thought of shooting up a school until it was on TV everyday and we made school shooters celebrities. They died yet their image and message lived on. That is a huge reason why school shootings are increasing in the fast food media generation. Not exactly the gun laws. Note the biggest school shooting spike (before late) was when the assault rifle ban was in place in America.

Also Alex Jones isn't as crazy as you may think he is. Don't listen to main stream media, do your own research. You're listening to a lot of what other people what you to hear not to what you need to know.

free max b 2013

June 11, 2014 @ 11:12 AM
Legit*

Ice T just sounds stupid and paranoid in that interview, just like most pro gun enthusiasts. 

No nation sees itself as outsiders do. Half the USA is probably sane and rational while the other half simply doesn't grasp the inconsistencies and historic lunacy of its position, which springs from the second amendment right to keep and bear arms, and is derived from English common law and the UKs 1689 Bill of Rights. The UK dispensed with these rights a long time ago, but American gun owners hold on to them with the same tenacity that previous generations in the US fought to continue slavery. It seems that when owning a gun is not about ludicrous macho fantasy, it is mostly seen as a matter of personal safety, despite conclusive evidence that people become less safe as gun ownership rises.

June 11, 2014 @ 12:30 PM
NapoleonComplex

honestly I get the historical and sentimental aspect of Guns in America. It's part of the second amendment and that's fine. Sometimes you need to form a militia and carry weaponry to keep law enforcement and volatile citizens in check. But the people carrying the weapons in recent times have been the volatile citizens. 

Personally I hate guns. I think they've ruined the art of Warfare and are slowing destroying our society. 
But in America you have to live with them. (Just like Gay people). So I propose 2 solutions that I believe may work. 

1.) Make it much harder to acquire Military grade weaponry. i.e. assault rifles and sniper rifles and the likes 
2.) Rigorous background checks and mental health evaluations for prospective gun holders. 

For all those saying that gun control cant work because the volatile citizens will still attack with knives or other weaponry, I'd welcome that scenario gladly. I'd much rather someone come at me with a knife, give me the opportunity to defend my self, and medical treatment that can help me if I fail, than a random gun shot to my back or from a distance, in which EMT's declare me dead at the scene, or medical treatment still cant save me.
Look at the girl who got stabbed 19 times in the woods for slenderman, she'd be dead if it were a gun 19 times.  
I mean look at the DC Sniper, dude was catching niggas doing everyday things from a distance without warning. 

It's not about stopping violence, its about saving lives. 

FUCK DREWBACCA | smh fuck REVS to....

June 11, 2014 @ 02:56 PM
dmwalking

Gun control only hurts those who abide by the law.   We always talk about how the US has the highest rate of gun violence in the developed world when we talk about mass shootings.  But most gun crimes are not mass shootings.  Most gun crimes are committed with illegal weapons in low income neighborhoods.  So what would gun control do?  Those illegal guns would still exist.  Our gun violence would still be number one.   We also have laws against rape and murder, but they still occur. Why?  Criminals don't follow laws.   Gun control is not the answer to mass shootings.  If we ban weapons, the only thing that will happen is that we disarm people from being able to defend themselves. We turn people into sitting ducks for criminals.   Why did gun bans work around the world?  Because those countries didn't have as many guns as the US does.   Where are all these mass shootings happening?  Gun free zones or areas with super strict gun control.  And they don't talk about the mass shootings that get stopped by armed civilians.  Gun control doesn't impact mass shootings. 

What they should do is stop this dumb ass war on drugs and turn those resources into a war on illegal guns.  Get those off the street first. 

guy on some broke bus. Love, Sosa. "Don't feed the trolls" initiative coming soon. We can rebuild.

June 11, 2014 @ 02:57 PM
petrol

despite conclusive evidence that people become less safe as gun ownership rises.
post it up and back your claims
June 11, 2014 @ 03:05 PM
Mad Rusky

Gun control only hurts those who abide by the law.   We always talk about how the US has the highest rate of gun violence in the developed world when we talk about mass shootings.  But most gun crimes are not mass shootings.  Most gun crimes are committed with illegal weapons in low income neighborhoods.  So what would gun control do?  Those illegal guns would still exist.  Our gun violence would still be number one.   We also have laws against rape and murder, but they still occur. Why?  Criminals don't follow laws.   Gun control is not the answer to mass shootings.  If we ban weapons, the only thing that will happen is that we disarm people from being able to defend themselves. We turn people into sitting ducks for criminals.   Why did gun bans work around the world?  Because those countries didn't have as many guns as the US does.   Where are all these mass shootings happening?  Gun free zones or areas with super strict gun control.  And they don't talk about the mass shootings that get stopped by armed civilians.  Gun control doesn't impact mass shootings. 

What they should do is stop this dumb ass war on drugs and turn those resources into a war on illegal guns.  Get those off the street first. 
I believe the intent of more/stricter laws isnt the naive belief that it will actually prevent criminals from obtaining guns, but to keep gun offenders and potentially dangerous individuals behind bars. No slap on the wrist offenses.

I live in Chicago and a lot is made of the murder rate. The overwhelming majority of violence is in the southside ghettos. The environment these people live in cultivates violence.

Other nations have more success with gun control because there is not a country on earth to my knowledge with the level of economic disparity between the classes. Economic and racial tensions are higher here than anywhere(again, to my knowledge).

We have a bigger problem with mental health than we do with guns. I'd be in favor of more comprehensive checks for candidates. I agree with you about the war on drugs. Thats a lot of resources being thrown into a bottomless well.
June 11, 2014 @ 03:25 PM
jafeel

Mental health is definitely a priority when it comes to gun discussion. Like Chief said above, I believe most of the shootings stem from unstable people, so providing better resources for mentally ill people will definitely help.

However I also believe that stricter background checks are needed and military grade weapons should be banned. Also how do you guys propose to take illegal guns off the streets? Because a police buyback program is not the solution
June 11, 2014 @ 03:36 PM
jamesjebbia

honestly I get the historical and sentimental aspect of Guns in America. It's part of the second amendment and that's fine. Sometimes you need to form a militia and carry weaponry to keep law enforcement and volatile citizens in check. But the people carrying the weapons in recent times have been the volatile citizens. 

Personally I hate guns. I think they've ruined the art of Warfare and are slowing destroying our society. 
But in America you have to live with them. (Just like Gay people). So I propose 2 solutions that I believe may work. 

1.) Make it much harder to acquire Military grade weaponry. i.e. assault rifles and sniper rifles and the likes 
2.) Rigorous background checks and mental health evaluations for prospective gun holders. 

For all those saying that gun control cant work because the volatile citizens will still attack with knives or other weaponry, I'd welcome that scenario gladly. I'd much rather someone come at me with a knife, give me the opportunity to defend my self, and medical treatment that can help me if I fail, than a random gun shot to my back or from a distance, in which EMT's declare me dead at the scene, or medical treatment still cant save me.
Look at the girl who got stabbed 19 times in the woods for slenderman, she'd be dead if it were a gun 19 times.  
I mean look at the DC Sniper, dude was catching niggas doing everyday things from a distance without warning. 

It's not about stopping violence, its about saving lives. 
the thing with that background check on the gun owners would still only do so much because look at how many times these deranged teenage kids take their parents gun.
June 11, 2014 @ 03:37 PM
origins

Two words: Mental health

Not to mention, most of these sociopaths see that other gunmen are getting their "fame" on national television, so they follow their lead. We shouldn't be broadcasting the shooter/speaking of them as much as we are.

http://getsupreme.bigcartel.com/ http://hypebeast.com/forums/sneakers/219553 - FBTs SZ 10

June 11, 2014 @ 03:51 PM
NapoleonComplex

I think everyone needs to realize that in Politics there are no correct answers. There is no right or wrong. But there is a problem and it needs to be addressed. 

I dont have a viable solution, cause if I did I'd be taking Eric Cantor's leadership in the House instead of Dave Brat. 
And neither do any of you. 

But Gun violence is a problem in America that is so terrible it is fuelling the Mexican drug wars. It needs to be addressed without this whole can't take my guns away chatter from the ultra-right. 

FUCK DREWBACCA | smh fuck REVS to....

Please login first to reply.