June 9, 2014 @ 03:50 PM
dmwalking

I don't like affirmative action, but I understand why it's currently a "necessary evil."   

Preface

I'll preface it like this.  In the immortal words of Patrice O'neal, "Lord please help me find racism!"   In context what he meant is that we all know racism exists, but the only racists we see are hillbilly redneck types.  There aren't any 9-5 Jonny Everyman racists?  No CEO racists?  No Loan Officer racists? Why only show the rednecks?  Because if we knew who was really racist in positions of power, we would see racism differently.  So on one hand, it does paint overt racism as being ignorant and foolish.  Rich powerful racists know it that's why they're quiet about it.  But on the other hand, there is enough evidence to prove that modern day racism is basically invisible segregation.  Where before it was enforced by laws (segregation), now it's invisibly enforced by socio-economics.  Poverty.  Mortgage denial. Sub prime mortgage approval.  Job denial.  Flooding the hood with crack shortly after segregation fell.  Harsher prison terms for minorities for lighter crimes.  Private prisons forecasting their business off of standardized testing in urban areas.  I could go on.  But I hope you get the point. 

Point

Black people, and by extension other minorities, have been put at such a huge socio-economic disadvantage that it will be nearly impossible for any minority to achieve the same kind of wealth as those in the top 1%.    And it's those in that top 1% that pull the strings.   Affirmative action is necessary law to prevent systematic racism from going even further.   

These days many people have no idea that they're upholding racist ideals. They think that just because they're not lynching people or shouting racial slurs and bombing churches that they're not racist.  But it's because African American history has been nearly erased.  We have schools teaching us like racism ended when segregation ended.  Acting like segregation was like 100 years ago. They have schools painting it like the it was pacifism that caused segregation to fall so just be good little subservient negroes and you'll get the freedom that MLK fought for. But I digress. The point is that, again, black people just started the race while white people had like a 300 year head start built on the backs of free labor and better jobs.   It's only right to give them a bit of an edge to help equality.  

Yes, other minority groups have had it hard in the past.  But every other minority group came here by choice.  And they came a good deal after slavery.  And for those who migrated during slavery, they didn't start off as slaves. So even though they started lower than white people, they still didn't start off as slaves. 

So as much as I don't like the idea of affirmative action, I understand why it's necessary until systematic racism dies off. 

Now for OP, you have nothing to complain about.  He's getting attention. You're not.  That's all it is.  You're salty over attention.  And maybe you're right.  Maybe it is just because he's black.  Or maybe it's because he's younger than you.  Maybe it's because the minutiae of his story is more interesting than yours. But either way, you're salty over attention.  And attention doesn't pay bills. Attention doesn't give you a 4.0 and the drive to get your degree.  The media loves an underdog story.  And as much as you may not like it, a black person is more of an underdog than you are.  So let the media do what they do.  Truth is, it didn't impact you or your future.  So, for lack of a better choice of words, get over it.  

Last name Ever, first name Worst Mod

June 9, 2014 @ 04:01 PM
Think People

The deans of all those school could run a train on my girl and i still couldn't get into those schools. Suck that shit up and move on. You one of those gossiping behind people's backs kind of douches.
June 9, 2014 @ 04:22 PM
jafeel

Thanks dm and thatniggatho. Like I said jealously/bitterness of attention can clog a man's judgement and in this case it did. I guess it was just my want for attention from the school district and local media that made me jealous. I know this was petty as hell and in hindsight I need to get over it, but Im definitely not the only one on this board be jealous whether its education or as little as supreme lol.

Ya boy just got approved for study abroad next year this weekend and this bitterness is in the past. Good luck on finals fam and thatniggatho for guiding my thinking
June 9, 2014 @ 05:01 PM
It's Only Hype

The kid is mexican not black
June 9, 2014 @ 05:18 PM
dmwalking

Advantages and disadvantages still apply.  Mexicans don't have it too good these days. 

Last name Ever, first name Worst Mod

June 9, 2014 @ 06:03 PM
"MERCY"

everyone in this thread act so righteous behind their keyboard
Dudes in here talking about "OP worry about yourself and not others, move on" then goes in another thread to attack someone on how they dress

y'all funny
June 9, 2014 @ 06:03 PM
paulywalnuts

getting into college is not the end-all-be-all of anything...you will graduate someday and be forced into the real world, where once again, the playing field is uneven as shit, and people will judge you and award you jobs on even more or less or pettier things or a resume or experience (it all depends)

point is, you don't compare yourself to other people, because it's A) an exercise in futility B) frustrating C) apple to oranges; you can't compare your insides to someone elses outsides

much worse things has happened to much better people.  my dad's best friend just dropped dead at age 55.  marathon runner, biker, perfectly healthy in every way.  married with 2 kids age 7 and 4.  blood clot from a misdiagnosed broken ankle from playing soccer with his kid travels into his lung and he's in a coma and dead within 72 hours. 

count your blessings.   

i master bait from time to time///wtb supreme/rust-oleum beanie

June 9, 2014 @ 06:21 PM
thatniggatho

Advantages and disadvantages still apply.  Mexicans don't have it too good these days. 
Agreed. However, AA has been perverted way beyond its scope and initial purpose which, in many ways, failed and continues to fail.
.....Part of the big reason many have such problems with it. However, that's another debate.
June 9, 2014 @ 06:24 PM
Mr. Freeze

#1 : As someone posted, the percentage of Asians Enrolled in Universities is on a sharp increase. As such, the big picture is that more 'of you' are getting in. One qualified Mexican guy got a seat at the University and you're mad about it.. Whereas 100 Asians could have in comparison? 1:100...
> As such, why are you so butthurt?

#2 : You posted no information about your 'homies' grades/sat scores/extra curricular activities to even suggest he got in because of Affirmative Action. You said he had equally qualifications... He might have even been  a better overall candidate than you.
As such, why are you so butthurt?

#3 : As for not getting similar media coverage, are you serious? With the way media is today and how it caters to foolishness, generalizations, what's hot 'for now', and whatever gets them the most ratings... You feel there is something wrong  because you as an Asian weren't paraded on the 5' o'clock news?

Yes... You sound bitter and angry to me and that's about the full reasoning behind your sentiment.
You then sadly decided to direct that into : race .. Check yourself man..

Affirmative Action has nothing to do w/ anything you said.....
I won't even go into what the original intent of it was and how it doesn't 'by and large' benefit the group of people it should have in the first place...

Your homie got into a good University.... He seemed to be a sound candidate for it and yet you are over here being bitter and angry about it? And direct that to your homie's "race". What's wrong w/ you man? 

There's a (fair) 50/50 chance a coin will fall on heads or tails... You flip it. You called heads.
You do this 100 times and it lands on heads 70 of the 70 times...
You flip it the 71th time and it lands on tails ...
You throw your hands up and say the system is unfair.. it caters to the tails ..
How the fuck did it land on tails!?!?!?!

Wow.. Almost unbelievable sometimes the things people construct in their heads.
And you have to wonder what becomes of a future in which people with your mindset control positions that influence hiring..

You'll probably go your whole life thinking anytime you run into some non-Asian in a position of success that they got to where they were because of AA .. The definition of racism and why it is so hard for this country to progress from it... 

I think the reason why we "asians" are angry is because we need to get higher SAT scores/GPAs to get accepted while other minorities have a lower expectation. 

Its no longer a competition between students, but now a competition by race.
You know what .. You go back 100's of years ago in America's history and be the slaves ... Do that and get all fucked up for generations and then you can get some half baked AA hundreds of years later .. I'm sure there are groups of people who would love to switch that history with you and be here now bitching about silly abused programs like AA and how its unfair.. 

The most ridiculous thing is, you states you both were equally qualified ...
Yet, you're still ranting about AA as if that's why your 'homie' got in...

He got in because he was a qualified candidate.
He got the scholarship because he best fit who they wanted.

How about, while you're at University getting smart, you take some American History classes and educated yourself on why AA exist in the first place. With the way you're carrying on, no wonder your boy got in and you didn't... He's probably about getting things done .. Jumping the hurdles that comes his way and you're more about bitching about other people ... That's no way to be a success in your personal life. 

Stop wasting your energy on judging other people and their circumstance for which you show you're utterly ignorant of.

my man, im a history and education major. Pretty sure I know more about our history than you and how our education system works. And we're not only talking about blacks. we're talking about all the minorities. so please save your argument for someone who was arguing about blacks specifically. I was born and raised in PG county. Yea, the richest african-american county in our nation. and I can tell you, the education here is some trash. I had the same high school education as all the african americans in my county/district yet im still put on a disadvantage.

Affirmative action needs to put away when it comes to being accepted in higher education institutions.

June 9, 2014 @ 06:40 PM
thatniggatho

#1 : As someone posted, the percentage of Asians Enrolled in Universities is on a sharp increase. As such, the big picture is that more 'of you' are getting in. One qualified Mexican guy got a seat at the University and you're mad about it.. Whereas 100 Asians could have in comparison? 1:100...
> As such, why are you so butthurt?

#2 : You posted no information about your 'homies' grades/sat scores/extra curricular activities to even suggest he got in because of Affirmative Action. You said he had equally qualifications... He might have even been  a better overall candidate than you.
As such, why are you so butthurt?

#3 : As for not getting similar media coverage, are you serious? With the way media is today and how it caters to foolishness, generalizations, what's hot 'for now', and whatever gets them the most ratings... You feel there is something wrong  because you as an Asian weren't paraded on the 5' o'clock news?

Yes... You sound bitter and angry to me and that's about the full reasoning behind your sentiment.
You then sadly decided to direct that into : race .. Check yourself man..

Affirmative Action has nothing to do w/ anything you said.....
I won't even go into what the original intent of it was and how it doesn't 'by and large' benefit the group of people it should have in the first place...

Your homie got into a good University.... He seemed to be a sound candidate for it and yet you are over here being bitter and angry about it? And direct that to your homie's "race". What's wrong w/ you man? 

There's a (fair) 50/50 chance a coin will fall on heads or tails... You flip it. You called heads.
You do this 100 times and it lands on heads 70 of the 70 times...
You flip it the 71th time and it lands on tails ...
You throw your hands up and say the system is unfair.. it caters to the tails ..
How the fuck did it land on tails!?!?!?!

Wow.. Almost unbelievable sometimes the things people construct in their heads.
And you have to wonder what becomes of a future in which people with your mindset control positions that influence hiring..

You'll probably go your whole life thinking anytime you run into some non-Asian in a position of success that they got to where they were because of AA .. The definition of racism and why it is so hard for this country to progress from it... 

I think the reason why we "asians" are angry is because we need to get higher SAT scores/GPAs to get accepted while other minorities have a lower expectation. 

You know what .. You go back 100's of years ago in America's history and be the slaves ... Do that and get all fucked up for generations and then you can get some half baked AA hundreds of years later .. I'm sure there are groups of people who would love to switch that history with you and be here now bitching about silly abused programs like AA and how its unfair.. 

How about, while you're at University getting smart, you take some American History classes and educated yourself on why AA exist in the first place. With the way you're carrying on, no wonder your boy got in and you didn't... He's probably about getting things done .. Jumping the hurdles that comes his way and you're more about bitching about other people ... That's no way to be a success in your personal life. 

Stop wasting your energy on judging other people and their circumstance for which you show you're utterly ignorant of.

my man, im a history and education major. Pretty sure I know more about our history than you and how our education system works. And we're not only talking about blacks. we're talking about all the minorities. so please save your argument for someone who was arguing about blacks specifically. I was born and raised in PG county. Yea, the richest african-american county in our nation. and I can tell you, the education here is some trash. I had the same high school education as all the african americans in my county/district yet im still put on a disadvantage.

Affirmative action needs to put away when it comes to being accepted in higher education institutions.

I never stated what my major or minors were nor spoke of where I spend the bulk of my time outside my occupation. One thing I've learned about education is that you can go through years of it and still come out ignorant and w/o true understanding. So, you basically made it out .. Lucky one of the bunch and are reflecting falsely on the true circumstances. When you get a chance, please pay attention in sociology and psychology courses. 

A society needs balance. Your silly grades/SAT scores aren't a measure of your place in the world nor is a college degree. Affirmative Action seeks to strike a slither of balance for various reasons. I know a great number of people with better grades/SAT scores who flunked out of my University .. who went on to become baristas after college. Universities are privy to a slew of data points over long periods of time related to their graduating classes. They often adjust a range of acceptance criteria for various reasons.

You claim you are a history/education major. However, your words and the silly video you posted speak to someone who has failed to extract any meaning from their education (you're a perfect example of the reason why SAT scores/degrees/etc aren't a measure of a person's comprehension capabilities. .. ). 

You can get all the education in the world and yet fail to truly extract meaning and knowledge. When there is true equality, it gets reflected in the numbers.

I'll try my hand at posting a video : 

You're a history/education major.. Congratulations.. that means nothing unless its reflected in reasoned thoughts.

P.S - You need a hellavuh lot more understanding of the world beyond education/history before you can accurately judge a program as far reaching as AA. You have barely scratched the surface in your undergrad education. Keep learning. 

When there's equal opportunity, it gets reflected in the numbers... Until then, a society still has work to do.
June 9, 2014 @ 07:01 PM
Mr. Freeze

I never stated what my major or minors were nor spoke of where I spend the bulk of my time outside my occupation. One thing I've learned about education is that you can go through years of it and still come out ignorant and w/o true understanding. So, you basically made it out .. Lucky one of the bunch and are reflecting falsely on the true circumstances. When you get a chance, please pay attention in sociology and psychology courses. 

A society needs balance. Your silly grades/SAT scores aren't a measure of your place in the world nor is a college degree. Affirmative Action seeks to strike a slither of balance for various reasons. I know a great number of people with better grades/SAT scores who flunked out of my University .. who went on to become baristas after college. Universities are privy to a slew of data points over long periods of time related to their graduating classes. They often adjust a range of acceptance criteria for various reasons.

You claim you are a history/education major. However, your words and the silly video you posted speak to someone who has failed to extract any meaning from their education (One of the reasons why SAT scores/degrees/etc aren't a measure of a person .. ). 

You can get all the education in the world and yet fail to truly extract meaning and knowledge. When there is true equality, it gets reflected in the numbers.

You're a history/education major.. Congratulations.. that means nothing unless its reflected in reasoned thoughts.

P.S - You need a hellavuh lot more understanding of the world beyond education/history before you can accurately judge a program as far reaching as AA. You have barely scratched the surface in your undergrad education. Keep learning. 

Please, I've argued with you before couple years ago before you all you do is change the argument's direction.
Please stop acting as if you're some kind of enlightened guru who sees the ultimate truth. Quit that act, its getting old here.

Never did I say the SAT/GPA is a definition of you are as a character. So please stop rambling about irrelevant shit. But having a lower expectation in terms of SAT/GPA for certain races (blacks, hispanics) is unnecessary. College acceptance should be based on a universal expectation by that university along with economic status of the student, essay, extracurricular activities, etc. Not race. Yea, im a history and education major. I know much more than you and I think can better than you. Im smarter than you and I always will be. You're biased against those who have done better than you in life. Its obvious just by what you're arguing. You believe that whites should suffer today for their ancestors past. I believe in making things equal across the board despite someone's race. Yes, minorities are put in a disadvantage today in many ways. But instead of lowering the expectations for them in terms of education, why not beat the system and help them be smarter to achieve the same level of education as whites.
June 9, 2014 @ 07:47 PM
thatniggatho

You claim you are a history/education major. However, your words and the silly video you posted speak to someone who has failed to extract any meaning from their education (One of the reasons why SAT scores/degrees/etc aren't a measure of a person .. ). 

Please, I've argued with you before couple years ago before you all you do is change the argument's direction.
Please stop acting as if you're some kind of enlightened guru who sees the ultimate truth. Quit that act, its getting old here.

Never did I say the SAT/GPA is a definition of you are as a character. So please stop rambling about irrelevant shit. But having a lower expectation in terms of SAT/GPA for certain races (blacks, hispanics) is unnecessary. College acceptance should be based on a universal expectation by that university along with economic status of the student, essay, extracurricular activities, etc. Not race. Yea, im a history and education major. I know much more than you and I think can better than you. Im smarter than you and I always will be. You're biased against those who have done better than you in life. Its obvious just by what you're arguing. You believe that whites should suffer today for their ancestors past. I believe in making things equal across the board despite someone's race. Yes, minorities are put in a disadvantage today in many ways. But instead of lowering the expectations for them in terms of education, why not beat the system and help them be smarter to achieve the same level of education as whites.
The reasoned truth is the reasoned truth. There is nothing mystical at arriving at it. So, stop trying to put reasoned thoughts up on a pedestal. I've spoken to a bum on the street who makes more sense than you.

There is no lower expectation... In many cases, candidates are 'qualified enough' and, due to many reasons, 'diversity' being one.. they get picked over another individual of a different race. They actually end up doing better at America's #1 University for a particular major.. What do you say then about the silly standards you set? Meanwhile the kid with a higher SAT score and grades flunked out freshman year. One guy goes on to found a company that changes the world and contributes immensely to the well being of many others. Another (higher SAT score/grades) goes on to become a barista after studying history/education... Universities use a hellavuh lot more metrics than SAT scores/Grades to measure a person as they are not the 'total picture'.

You sound like a butt hurt fool who feels they didn't get to where they were going because of a 0.001% getting special treatment for the 80% of setbacks a society will structure around them. Get over it and get over yourself.

No one batted an eye when a whole group of people were enslaved for 100s of years and built America. No one is gonna bat an eye because AA gives 0.001% of them 'equal opportunity'. 

To be frank with you, you don't seem to know jack about social psychology and I hope you stay as far away from the educational field as you can. People of such myopic views even after formal education have no business making impressions upon the future minds of this nation.

Far more educated and reasoned people whole-fully disagree with you and luckily they set policy and not some wet behind the ears education/history major who doesn't seem to know a thing about social-psych or economics.. Or the damming effects of not trying to maintain balance at a macro scale in a society. 

Stop replying to my posts.. I don't claim to be some enlightened person. I am an avg guy w/ sense. Sense you obviously seem to lack. You make a fool of yourself every time you do. Go focus on learning something and get off my dick. I have my degrees and success to match. There's nothing you can say to detract from that.

As for tests and standards.. Who made those standards? Under what precept? Under what biased view? Under what childhood experience? Under what upbringing? Under what ideal of what 'intelligence' is...

Many of the great pioneers of science received failing grades in various subjects. What did the standards fail to capture? You speak on education/history as if you have zero understanding.

Stop being so butthurt in life and look at the bigger picture. I've spoken to bums smarter than you. They actually understood the world and had insight into its function. Something you dont seem to have captured even after/during your academic pursuits .. And please don't ever make a claim about how smart you are or will be when you hold on to such uninformed ignorant ideas.
June 9, 2014 @ 08:02 PM
Mr. Freeze

There is no lower expectation... 

stopped reading right there. clearly you don't know what you're talking about. goodbye.
June 9, 2014 @ 08:06 PM
thatniggatho

There is no lower expectation... 

stopped reading right there. clearly you don't know what you're talking about. goodbye.
I take that back .. You managed to get into a University. So, obviously standards and expectations are being lowered somewhere.

Good Day
June 9, 2014 @ 09:29 PM
FLVMINCO

Itsmeho's suggestions wouldn't do anything more than create higher racial tension between minorities and over privileged whites. You claimed that you're smarter than thatniggatho when none of your ideas are logical, hell your rant is grossly ill worded. At any rate being a history major with a minor in education is pathetic and is in no way, shape or form a measure of your intelligence if anything it simply shows your lack of ability to critically think; jackass.

Follow me @Pyrex_Lanvin on twitter, mixed women are the GOAT.

June 9, 2014 @ 09:47 PM
Mr. Freeze

Itsmeho's suggestions wouldn't do anything more than create higher racial tension between minorities and over privileged whites. You claimed that you're smarter than thatniggatho when none of your ideas are logical, hell your rant is grossly ill worded. At any rate being a history major with a minor in education is pathetic and is in no way, shape or form a measure of your intelligence if anything it simply shows your lack of ability to critically think; jackass.

It won't create a higher racial tension, it'll make things more competitive and make every child ,despite their race, to work harder academically. You can't say something is illogical when you don't even have a solution.
My ideas are illogical? Tell that to the states that banned affirmative actions for public universities. Tell that to the specialize high schools in New York that also don't consider race a factor for people who are applying.  Hmmm, does that sound illogical to you when states today are doing it?And btw, my major is both history and education. so please, shut the fuck and sit down while I teach ya dumb ass.
June 9, 2014 @ 09:51 PM
.jpg

the word intelligence can mean many things. but saying any major shows lack of ability to critically think is just ignorant. any (well most) majors require critical thinking. esp. studying to be a teacher.
June 9, 2014 @ 10:11 PM
thatniggatho

the word intelligence can mean many things. but saying any major shows lack of ability to critically think is just ignorant. any (well most) majors require critical thinking. esp. studying to be a teacher.
You can fly straight through college and not truly understand a dam thing. It happens more often than you think.
As for critical thinking, some majors require it more than others. History and education aren't hallmarks of critical thinking. Critical thinking is most often needed in STEM majors. That aside, if he was making any sense, he wouldn't have to fall back on his education, it would show in reasoned thoughts.
June 9, 2014 @ 10:19 PM
thatniggatho

It won't create a higher racial tension, it'll make things more competitive and make every child ,despite their race, to work harder academically. You can't say something is illogical when you don't even have a solution.
My ideas are illogical? Tell that to the states that banned affirmative actions for public universities. Tell that to the specialize high schools in New York that also don't consider race a factor for people who are applying.  Hmmm, does that sound illogical to you when states today are doing it?And btw, my major is both history and education. so please, shut the fuck and sit down while I teach ya dumb ass.
Butthurt as hell and it shows. You really can't reason w/ people like you. 
Keep your opinion. You have that freedom in America.

A wet behind the ears history/education major who sees the world in rose tinted glasses.

P.S - Just to keep the record straight ...
http://ideas.time.com/2013/06/17/affirmative-action-has-helped-white-women-more-than-anyone/
According to the United States Labor Department, the primary beneficiaries of affirmative action are white women

But yeah.. according to you, it's the minorities ... always looking for a handout. Bringing down standards.
Racism rears its head in funny ways.... It was ended because the powered elite manipulated a program intended primarily to help right the many imbalances of slavery/unequal rights into benefiting their white wives. Now-a-days, any tom, dick, and harry can get AA privileges... That's why it ended. You learn that in history class? 

I'm constantly amazed at the kind of junk Universities are producing as graduates. A sign of the diminishing nature of our country's educational system. And to think .. from such shallow pools of understanding, you will be tasked with educating others.

There's no mystery why this Nation has been in steep decline in recent years.

Garbage in Garbage Out 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_in,_garbage_out

I'm done w/ this conversation.. Spend too much time entertaining a fool, you'll eventually become one.
June 9, 2014 @ 10:24 PM
FLVMINCO

You can fly straight through college and not truly understand a dam thing. It happens more often than you think.
As for critical thinking, some majors require it more than others. History and education aren't hallmarks of critical thinking. That aside, if he was making any sense, he wouldn't have to fall back on his education, it would show in reasoned thoughts.
This^ studying isn't critical thinking, regurgitating information from textbooks isn't a measure of what you actually know.

Follow me @Pyrex_Lanvin on twitter, mixed women are the GOAT.

Please login first to reply.